Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,145 members, 7,835,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? (39331 Views)

How Foreign Bankers Lure Nigerian Elite To Early Graves / Ex-bankers Jailed 91 Years Over N114.6m Fraud (Photo) / Pools Bankers For The Week. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by eluquenson(m): 7:52am On Nov 04, 2013
Sincerely speaking, ex-Bankers i know are not performing and they look miserable as if their life has been cut short while some are moving on with life. undecided
I cant imagine this kind of life after banking cos its scary though
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Candour(m): 7:54am On Nov 04, 2013
Life outside banking is cool, serene and very stress free for me. Spent almost 8 years in banking and didn't go a day without painkillers. I developed high BP even as a young man. The Job expects you to be there 24/7 without time to think about your future. I have some good memories though as I met the angel that became my wife there and also got to know and understand people but its not a place to stay for long particularly for me that trained as an engineer. I'm now back to engineering and very grateful to God for the opportunity.

@OP, start planning your exit. Save, bridle your desires as that is the undoing of a lot of bankers. They get enticed by money that isnt theirs and get into crime.also, learn about trade and investment. If you save without knowing how to invest, you'll burn your fingers so talk to experienced traders among your customers and learn from them.

I wish you the best.

3 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by HolyHolla(m): 7:56am On Nov 04, 2013
Meringe: my dear. banking job is the beginning of your woes if you dont plan once you got the job. I have many friends who are ex bankers , some are doing well while some are still struggling to survive.
lemme tell you one reason while some are still struggling to survive outside the banking job. Once you have saved alot of money to quit your slave job, when you are out, a lot of advices and proposals will come your way through friends you made while in the system. if you are interested in the business, go into details, i mean go into DETAILS, no matter how lucrative the proposal is, do not fail to go into details. DO NOT RUSH INTO IMPORTATION, if you must import, go inside the market, learn the business at least 6months, rent a shop, buy from local importers first, then after 2 or 3 times of buying from the local importers then you can plan on importing your own goods.
So many of exbankers got trapped by importing goods which they dont know about and their money got trapped too.
REMEMBER TO RENT A SHOP AND START FROM DETAILS IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BUSINESS.

You are quite right. It's not just about how much you have saved and how many properties you have acquired. If you don't learn a profitable business investment, after you leave your job, you stand the chance of losing all you have gathered to catering for your responsibilities, to fraudsters, to personal disasters, to force majeure and to hangers on.

Why do you think young and inexperienced Igbo guys just coming from the village often become successful later in business? They learn under one master first before they start their own, no matter how harsh the conditions may be while learning. Without learning first, you stand the chances of paying what Yoruba call 'owo mugu' before you learn. There is always a price to pay for education, formal or informal.

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by sammy6(m): 7:56am On Nov 04, 2013
I was a banker for 6yrs, I came to work one morning and found out i could not log on to my system as i do every morning. I was asked to resign for doing absolutely nothing wrong. The worst part is that i was one of those bankers without a saving culture. I however took a decision that i was done with banking, so instead of looking 4 another bankg job, i got some support and started a firm. So far, so good with me. The firm is growing, started with just one staff, now i have 4 and i have my peace of mind.
Banking is just like a learning ground, the aggresiveness we use to mkt the bank's products, just try putting half that effort into ur own biz and watch it grow.Personally, i have no regrets not going back to banking as i am currently earning just as much as i was, i have lesser expenses (I no longer have to buy tm shirts,designer shoes and suits and also all my regular taxers have pipped down) , i have all the time in the world, i haven't been harassed (insulted)by anyone in a long time,I'm an employer of labour, the firm still has potentials to grow bigger and bigger and i don't miss any of the banking politics. Banking however is a good learning ground as it will instill passion, integrity,confidence and aggresiveness in you. Just plan your exit properly so that you won't be caught unawares as in my case.

4 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Teejayphillip(m): 7:56am On Nov 04, 2013
Waz once a banker aswell,til d banking crisis swept most of us outta it (2009/2010)... Dough tis a blessing 2 sum n alzo a regret 2 sum aswell... Sum prayed 4 it,because of dia passion 4 oda tinz.. Sum ave nt woken up 4rm dia slumber,alwaz complainin of how d banking world treated dem badly... I didn't plan 4 mine aswell,it just came without a notice...

My life outside d banking world has been wonderfull,it as made me d freelance man I want 2 b... I wake up 2 my business evryday n by month end pay moi staff dia salaries... D whole process dint just start in a day,it as bin in process even b4 I got d banking Job.. Tank God 4 Tsuanami of dat year,it as made me a beta person 2day...

4 my colleague whu stil work in d banking sector,out of notime create one 4 ursef,u ® workin 4 sumone,n u may b ask 2 go sumday,but wen dia's plan B u ® on d safer side.. Half bread dey say is beta dan non.. Dnt let dis catch u unaware,learn frm dose pple whu neva planned demsef well b4 d Tsunami era... Wif time,we will surely get dia..
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Nobody: 8:02am On Nov 04, 2013
...Cuz of all the loan you collect at will to boost your fake life and pls those girls that come to sell 50k perfume and boxers to you which their father and boy friend cannot afford....very soon 'o ya eme gi voom n'anya'

#team teachers and farmers# gat tym to do other things aside these two jobs!

Jeezyy: I just love bank job

3 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by bebechuks: 8:10am On Nov 04, 2013
Smile4mee01: I am currently a banker and have worked as a banker for about 4 yrs. I often dream of life outside banking, to be sincere i don’t love what i do, but that is what pays my bills. I recently moved to one of the top banks in Nigeria, but over here it is still the same sh*t. Even worse here is that I work 24/7, trust me, every day of the week. And it is beginning to hurt. I have no time for the things i love, i go to church sparingly, i am not growing, my life just seem to be all about work. It’s not funny anymore. I don taya.

Some collegues seem to have reached their comfort zone, I desire to be a business man/Investor, but this job is not even giving me time to try other things.
So to my ex-bankers, How is life outside banking? Did you wish you left earlier, or do u have regrets for leaving? There should be more to life than Banking. Abeg resign

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by hardbody: 8:11am On Nov 04, 2013
Well as for me i joined the banking industry just to prove a point and after about 2 years i moved on to other things. It is possible that years down the line, my contemporaries then are earning higher than i do now, but honestly my job function now is enriched and positively challenging and i am certain i would not be where i am today if i had stayed back in the bank.

Much advise had since been given in this post, apply them and you will be happy when the chips are down. One thing is certain, there are one of three ways that you MUST leave the bank and indeed any employment, You either (1)resign, (2)retire or (3)they fire you. Do the first before they hit you with the second or third options, however, plan to make it seamless so that you have the best of all possible worlds.
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by bebechuks: 8:12am On Nov 04, 2013
Abeg resign hoha!
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by eluquenson(m): 8:15am On Nov 04, 2013
bebechuks: Abeg resign hoha!
undecided
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by HolyHolla(m): 8:17am On Nov 04, 2013
gboss4sure: I do pity bankers a lot, they must have one of the most boring life, always in the bank attending to those crowds everyday, some even work 247. Kai no time to flex ur life. Seriously it pays to be the ceo.

I won't bet on the "boring life" stuff. When you step out of work as a banker with your pockets full of wadnotes, the boredom disappears, even if for a few hours.
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by 2ndmay(m): 8:21am On Nov 04, 2013
My broda. I rily understand ur plight. U rily need 2 plan ur life nd achieve ur big dreams cos as a salary earner ur life is fixed. Do U mind doin a biznes dat won't affect ur job one bit nd will even pay U more dan ur bank job? Don't let me talk much. Just call me 4 more details nd I will put U through 08104084379, 08027664103
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by collynzo2(m): 8:22am On Nov 04, 2013
peppy luv: If you have nothing to say pls put a chewing stick into that dirty mouth of urs cuz u can't afford a tooth brush until ur oduduwa divides! Ewu Gambia!!

Calling him Ewu Gambia is an insult to Gambians. I don't think they will want to be associated with an animal like him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by dejibimbo(m): 8:29am On Nov 04, 2013
GentleMimi: ....You hv access to business info so u aint handicapped....
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 04, 2013
Ok let me change it to Ewu yoruba!!
collynzo2: Calling him Ewu Gambia is an insult to Gambians. I don't think they will want to be associated with an animal like him.

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by adezjamz(m): 8:31am On Nov 04, 2013
2day marks ♍¥ 3rd year on Nairaland. ..

I 8 banking jobs.

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Infomaz(m): 8:44am On Nov 04, 2013
I am not a banker, but my wife is, so i understand your situation. The following may be of help.

1. Have a clear picture, vision or goal of what you want to do. It will be better to write it down for clarity and solidity.
2. Gather relevant information about it. Better still, draw up a business plan. (you can contact those who know how)
3. Save aggressively.
4. Better still, invest your savings in passive investment (that does not require daily monitoring) -like shares and real estate.
5. You can also invest in taxis or keke -marwa, Barbing Saloon with a section for play station, to earn daily money, preparatory to resigning.
6. Set a time-frame for leaving the bank as well as the above.
7. Pray, Plan and Work towards your goal. Discuss with your wife if you're married.

Finally, do not be afraid, resign your job if you've achieved the above. Do be discourage by the snide comments and fears of other. Life is short, try and live your dreams. Remember, it is riskier not to take the risk.

You shall succeed by God's grace.

2 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Toble: 8:46am On Nov 04, 2013
oluwacjay: firstly I don't think banks work from sunday to sunday except u are in charge of the ATM. Even if u re,its just to check, access and load the machine which is not a whole day thing. Also, checking of batches Which is exceptional.....Those that work in oil n gas sector most especially operations are on the go sunday to sunday except they are on shift. So whatever job or career you want start,make sure the passion is there,you are happy with it and most important create time for your creator..

Bro unemployment is a bad tin. I used to tink like u untill I got a bank job we're I work 24/7. Sometimes, I'm too weak to wake on monday after workin on sunday. I wonder why I wld work sunday to sunday & weda mgt is cool wit it. If had known dose yrs I was unemployed I wld hav used it 2 do smetin even if its a small biz venture. Howeva d bank has provided jobs 4 pple wit nothin, but dnt be 2 comfy wit it. because I wrk sunday 2 sunday, my life is restricted 2 d office & even wen ders a biz opportunity, u jst find out dat its pple tryin 2 dupe u cos dey knw u dnt hav d time 2 research on d biz. God dey it will get better 4 me & oda bankers wokin 7 days a week.
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by anonimi: 8:48am On Nov 04, 2013
Anyone doing a job he does not love AND

- has not identified what he really loves to do that can also adequately take care of his reasonable lifestyle
- is not actively preparing to bail out asap from the "boring" bank work

is seriously asking for trouble like the banking intern in this story:

Slavery in the City: Death of 21-year-old intern Moritz Erhardt at Merrill Lynch sparks furore over long hours and macho culture at banks.

Young German worked until 6am for three consecutive days before collapse at home in east London

Serious concerns have been raised tonight about the punishing hours endured by interns at City investment banks following the death of a young Bank of America Merrill Lynch employee.

Moritz Erhardt, 21, was nearing the end of a seven-week internship in London when he collapsed at home after working until 6am for three days in a row.

His body was discovered by his flatmates. The circumstances of his death are unknown, but police are not treating them as suspicious. Some reports suggested that Mr Erhardt, from Freiburg, south-west Germany, was epileptic.

Around 300 interns working at various banks stay at the Claredale House student accommodation complex in Bethnal Green in east London for between seven and 10 weeks over the summer. One intern, who did not want to be named, told The Independent those in Mr Erhardt’s investing banking division group faced the longest hours.

He said: “We all work long hours, but the guys working regularly until 3am or 4am are those in investment banking. People working in markets will have to be in at 6am but not stay as late, so what time you can leave the office depends on your division.

“You’re only doing it for up to 10 weeks so there’s a general acceptance of it. I see many people wandering around, blurry-eyed and drinking caffeine to get through but people don’t complain because the potential rewards are so great. We’re competing for some very well-paid jobs.”

More from: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/slavery-in-the-city-death-of-21yearold-intern-moritz-erhardt-at-merrill-lynch-sparks-furore-over-long-hours-and-macho-culture-at-banks-8775917.html

It will be interesting to know how many (ex-)bankers are involved in farming and/or agro-allied industry

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Yazmin: 8:50am On Nov 04, 2013
$ammy:
I was a banker for 6yrs, I came to work one morning and found out i could not log on to my system as i do every morning. I was asked to resign for doing absolutely nothing wrong. The worst part is that i was one of those bankers without a saving culture. I however took a decision that i was done with banking, so instead of looking 4 another bankg job, i got some support and started a firm. So far, so good with me. The firm is growing, started with just one staff, now i have 4 and i have my peace of mind.
Banking is just like a learning ground, the aggresiveness we use to mkt the bank's products, just try putting half that effort into ur own biz and watch it grow.Personally, i have no regrets not going back to banking as i am currently earning just as much as i was, i have lesser expenses (I no longer have to buy tm shirts,designer shoes and suits and also all my regular taxers have pipped down) , i have all the time in the world, i haven't been harassed (insulted)by anyone in a long time,I'm an employer of labour, the firm still has potentials to grow bigger and bigger and i don't miss any of the banking politics. Banking however is a good learning ground as it will instill passion, integrity,confidence and aggresiveness in you. Just plan your exit properly so that you won't be caught unawares as in my case.

Chairman...I feel you.
Your story reminds me of som1 I think I know.
It would be well with you bro, God willing.
7 months to another round of heart beating,breathtaking,bootlicking, pound of flesh taking exercise.....if you get the gist....!

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by mikolo80: 8:53am On Nov 04, 2013
IF YOU DONT HAVE TIME,BUY IT. WOULD ADVISE YOU GET A P.A. TO RUN AROUND ON UR BEHALF.GET LOAN FROM BANK,BUY TRAILER AND GIVE COMPANIES LIKE COCA COLA OR DANGOTE TO MANAGE FOR YOU OR BUY CARS OR BUSES FOR TRANSPORT BIZ.AS HAS BEEN SAID COUNTLESS TIMES GET ADVISE FROM UR SUCCESSFUL CUSTOMERS.
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by murphy02(m): 8:57am On Nov 04, 2013
Smile4mee01: I am currently a banker and have worked as a banker for about 4 yrs. I often dream of life outside banking, to be sincere i don’t love what i do, but that is what pays my bills. I recently moved to one of the top banks in Nigeria, but over here it is still the same sh*t. Even worse here is that I work 24/7, trust me, every day of the week. And it is beginning to hurt. I have no time for the things i love, i go to church sparingly, i am not growing, my life just seem to be all about work. It’s not funny anymore. I don taya.

Some collegues seem to have reached their comfort zone, I desire to be a business man/Investor, but this job is not even giving me time to try other things.
So to my ex-bankers, How is life outside banking? Did you wish you left earlier, or do u have regrets for leaving? There should be more to life than Banking.

i was once a banker too, i spent five years, it was nt easy, i worked from Monday to Friday, then Saturdays and Sundays, seminars, training, presentation etc
my brother i will advice you save enough money, give yourself a target, as to when you intend to quit banking job, though life after banking is not that easy at the initial stage, but it pays later on.
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by olumuyiolaoluwa: 9:00am On Nov 04, 2013
cramjones: Oduduwa Republic controls Nigeria"s financial System...its going to grow once Nigeria divides so stay fast bro!
Who`s This

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Nobody: 9:01am On Nov 04, 2013
i was asked to resign from the bank because of inability to recover funds from loan defaulters. I thought my life would end,the allowances i counted on were never paid by the bank.

But i kept going ahead, nothing seemed forth coming people i usually tipped were the ones offering promises. just hoping and praying.But the reality bout life is you will survive if you want to.Yes there was serios pressure.It was even after i became jobless i was able to buy a better car.

Life has many doors,they keep opening and closing.

2 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by ChEkWaSIyKe(f): 9:14am On Nov 04, 2013
Honestly dis topic is meant 4 me. I just resign my appoitment after 2months of getting the job. Everybody was surprise what has cum over me after being at home 4 6mnths after service. The reason is bcus, I worked 24/7. On Sunday u'll see me goin out tink am goin to Church, guy na office O! No tym to attend other tins. Is not all abt the money but the joy u drive working there and the job security. I never regreted leaving. Am just abt getting another job in a federal University in East. For those out there who r loggin to work as banker, is nt as easy as u tink. Al the same, I wish u guys al the best. See u at the top.

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by sabak: 9:26am On Nov 04, 2013
I worked in the banking industry for 8 years. I got a down sizing letter some day and walked home feeling free, cos I was working in the bank just because I didnt find the courage to face the uncertainties of quitting. However the moment I saw my sack letter, I had mixed feelings. One was that I was happy to have been set free from bondage and the second, was that I thought I should be the ones firing my employers and not the other way round. At the time, I was not in debt and as such had full access to my severance pay and some savings I had. so I knew I could survive for atleast a year. I decided the professional exams I wanted to write and went ahead without hesitation cos the banking career was so squeezing that it was difficult top do serious studies while on the job. I concluded my preferred certification in 10 months and and was fast running out of cash, but had already set up a consulting firm. Done my website and all marketing materials and I hit the streets.In the first four months I got brief which paid me more than my annual salary in the bank and as I speak, I have made three times my annual salary in the bank and looking to add more before close of business on 31st December. I have my time to myself and have enjoyed every bit of my life. I am happier and now pity bank workers. A lot of my friends who also left have been forced back to the industry because they couldn't make a head way. I am sorry for them but pray they will be able to find their way soon. The keep is to ensure your are always in credit balance and keep increasing your cash balance. This gives you a float to survive on when you are out. The second is to identify the area of life where you are gifted and have competitive advantage in, go for a formal training and set out. You will never go wrong. Life outside banking has been rewarding, enjoyable and fulfilling for me. I will never work for anyone again in my life.

2 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by mkoabiola: 9:30am On Nov 04, 2013
But I do think,bankers do collect pension and gratuity b4 now.
Who wrecked d banking sector,soludo or lamido?
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Arysexy(m): 9:38am On Nov 04, 2013
K

6 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Arysexy(m): 9:40am On Nov 04, 2013
Double post
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Ginomel(m): 10:12am On Nov 04, 2013
A good topic, I have never been a banker but I think this issue is applicable to those in Oil and Gas that are not regular staff ie those on contract.
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Edoblakky(m): 10:17am On Nov 04, 2013
Lemme start like this: I never dreamt of working in a bank because I studied engineering. But after 5 years of graduating with an excellent result and no job, I had to apply for a banking job. I got the job and the pay was sweet but I knew I was not going to be there for long. I wanted an oil and gas job or better still, a business even if the pay is less.
As a banker, I was in the operations unit but at the same time, I was required to meet some very outrageous target. I made some mistakes at work and paid with my salaries. I knew I had to leave.
By the grace of God, I got the oil and gas job after spending a little over one year in the bank. I earn far more than my BM and I have so much time to myself. I also do some lucrative business. I'm so happy to have left the bank as I never enjoyed working there. I was only working in the bank for the pay ( not my passion).
If you work in the bank and you don't like it, plan what you want and run for it because if you get sacked, you will still have to do something, why not start today?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

CBN Adopts Flexible Exchange Rate Policy / Man Investigates Claim Made About A Chinese Store In Abuja With Photos / List of Logistics Companies For use within Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.