Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,421 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? (39282 Views)

How Foreign Bankers Lure Nigerian Elite To Early Graves / Ex-bankers Jailed 91 Years Over N114.6m Fraud (Photo) / Pools Bankers For The Week. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by carlos1(m): 10:21am On Nov 04, 2013
Ibyno: The world, is real funny, I dey pray hard morning and night to gain bank work and u are here complaining to leave, my brother a bird in hand worth thousand outside there . Use ur brain .

And who told you that these people that are complaining did not once pray for these bank Jobs, Anyways, don't worry, U will land that bank job of ur dreamz and den when u get in, u'll understand

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by GSKing: 10:29am On Nov 04, 2013
masonkz: I served in a bank so I guess I'm also an Ex-banker. Hehe

Decision: Never would I wanna work in a bank again. Most of the Retail/Commercial banking guys said they never loved what they were doing. I was a corper and thank heavens I wasn't in any of those units.

This is Nigeria though, and the average graduate would take a higher paying bank job over what he really wants. Only with time would he realise his mistake.

Had to reject two bank job offers after the tests and interviews, all cos I wanted to do what I loved. As tempting as it was.I no want story later in future biko. I love my life.

Oh well. Some very few people still enjoy it though.

*crying and screaming at the world*

I no wan study again ooooo, I tell una say I no like that course before... na una go suffer am if I resign without notice!!!

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by bhusollar(f): 10:31am On Nov 04, 2013
Weneva I hear pple say "I work in a bank", I SMH en I feel sorry for dem. I see a bank job as a stepping stone nt a place to relax en say " ok,I have arrive cos I av a job. You barely have tym for God, urslf en evn family, u dunno wats goin on in d outside world, u re jas stuckd in dere 24/7 OMG undecided
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by timpaker(m): 11:03am On Nov 04, 2013
When I work at the Bank my blood pressure rose (as a young dude, can u imagine?) beyond normal.
I woke up one day and decided that i won't go to work for one week, then the next week instead of them to ask me what happened, they were busy speaking English and were planning on advising me. I got vexed and resigned... now I'm enjoying my life as a diplomat. cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by opylas(m): 11:06am On Nov 04, 2013
peppy luv: Ok let me change it to Ewu yoruba!!
How old are u?
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by InHim4Him(m): 11:19am On Nov 04, 2013
My cousin's wife worked in the bank all her life. When we see her in church it was like wao! But now, since she left , she is a sight to behold. Paralyzed after a stroke, a burden to herself andany one around. And the question has been: what is the point?
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Afroprince(m): 11:42am On Nov 04, 2013
Wow! i feel your pain bro! did banking for 4 years and i dreaded each day i woke up! I was scared to go to work each day cos i couldn't predict when i will come back home...banking is not for everyone certainly it was not for me but i was also scared to leave the job & scared of the unknown cos i felt i was well paid. The first month of my new job, i felt like i made a mistake cos i get paid on the last day of month unlike bankers who get paid before 25th of every month but with time i adjusted. I can tell u for free that leaving banking was the best decision i made in my life but i owe a lot to banking cos i became better and smarter due to the experience i had while working there. I changed to the job that i have always loved, i make less money anyways but happier , have more time for myself, suffer less from High BP and i think i am more focused cos soon i am gonna be my own boss!!! By the way i run a music company now...DJ Service, Radio Music promos, Record Label and i am also an OAP, won so many awards already and i am looking for other ways i can make money from the brand i am creating for myself!!!
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by musicwriter(m): 11:43am On Nov 04, 2013
This thread is not just about present or ex-bankers but for anybody who have a dream that needs be pursued in the face of current occupation. For example; I have always loved being a musician or anything related to music. At a point I have even owned and closed a recording studio. Each time I just want to pursue music I seem to change my mind because I' am doing well already but of all the money I make from businesses I' am not very happy because inside me I still want to do music. The only time I feel natural and happy is when I' am singing. All I dream at night is singing to a huge crowd and people cheering, I've wrote tons of songs amist my business. I don't know what to do.
Sometime ago I made this ''save Majek Fashek'' song which I posted on this forum, just for the fun.
You can listen to the song at the below thread: www.nairaland.com/1190948/lets-save-majek-fashek/

I did this song just for the love of music and my hero Majek. And after following this thread I think I must pursue music professionally now or never. Are there any recording label or talent scouts out there?. Please contact me, I think it's time to unleash the star

2 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by invectives(m): 11:55am On Nov 04, 2013
Smile4mee01: I am currently a banker and have worked as a banker for about 4 yrs. I often dream of life outside banking, to be sincere i don’t love what i do, but that is what pays my bills. I recently moved to one of the top banks in Nigeria, but over here it is still the same sh*t. Even worse here is that I work 24/7, trust me, every day of the week. And it is beginning to hurt. I have no time for the things i love, i go to church sparingly, i am not growing, my life just seem to be all about work. It’s not funny anymore. I don taya.

Some collegues seem to have reached their comfort zone, I desire to be a business man/Investor, but this job is not even giving me time to try other things.
So to my ex-bankers, How is life outside banking? Did you wish you left earlier, or do u have regrets for leaving? There should be more to life than Banking.

Hey Brov,See my advice Below,

1.Save 80% of your Salary.the day you stop working, even N8million payoff will feel like 80K after 6month.

2.When Last did u Check the Status of your Health?,Do that always ,know your Blood pressure and regulate it.

3.Try and invest.do something,anything.

4.Go to Church,if U r Single,Get Married.

Talking from experience oo.Be Guided.Do the needful.
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by ULQUIORRA: 11:56am On Nov 04, 2013
Infomaz: I am not a banker, but my wife is, so i understand your situation. The following may be of help.

1. Have a clear picture, vision or goal of what you want to do. It will be better to write it down for clarity and solidity.
2. Gather relevant information about it. Better still, draw up a business plan. (you can contact those who know how)
3. Save aggressively.
4. Better still, invest your savings in passive investment (that does not require daily monitoring) -like shares and real estate.
5. You can also invest in taxis or keke -marwa, Barbing Saloon with a section for play station, to earn daily money, preparatory to resigning.
6. Set a time-frame for leaving the bank as well as the above.
7. Pray, Plan and Work towards your goal. Discuss with your wife if you're married.

Finally, do not be afraid, resign your job if you've achieved the above. Do be discourage by the snide comments and fears of other. Life is short, try and live your dreams. Remember, it is riskier not to take the risk.

You shall succeed by God's grace.

GOD bless u brother.

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by yemjazz: 12:16pm On Nov 04, 2013
I left a year ago and now am a testimony. I thank God because they led me to my promise land.
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Nov 04, 2013
I am a TS hopeful. However i have said i wont spend more than 5 years in the bank and move on, God helping me. I just need the experience and whatever i can get from them. However, if i get a better offer, i wont take the bank job. Thanks for all the opinions here. Its really an eye opener.... smiley smiley
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by murphy02(m): 1:09pm On Nov 04, 2013
Infomaz: I am not a banker, but my wife is, so i understand your situation. The following may be of help.

1. Have a clear picture, vision or goal of what you want to do. It will be better to write it down for clarity and solidity.
2. Gather relevant information about it. Better still, draw up a business plan. (you can contact those who know how)
3. Save aggressively.
4. Better still, invest your savings in passive investment (that does not require daily monitoring) -like shares and real estate.
5. You can also invest in taxis or keke -marwa, Barbing Saloon with a section for play station, to earn daily money, preparatory to resigning.
6. Set a time-frame for leaving the bank as well as the above.
7. Pray, Plan and Work towards your goal. Discuss with your wife if you're married.

Finally, do not be afraid, resign your job if you've achieved the above. Do be discourage by the snide comments and fears of other. Life is short, try and live your dreams. Remember, it is riskier not to take the risk.

You shall succeed by God's grace.

I agree with you except buying of share, taxi, marwa
After my resignation in 2009, Nigerian capital market almost killed me, i lost 80% of my 5yrs saving, as the price keeps dropping, i had to start again with almost nothing. i will advice you invest in real estate it pays, as you wont have time to monitor any taxi...
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Sike(m): 1:30pm On Nov 04, 2013
Forget about the "efizzy", banking is cagey.
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by chucky234(m): 1:41pm On Nov 04, 2013
Hmmm bankers sha, my dad served Habib Bank for years and we thought all was well with the enjoyment galore and that banker's son tag, the old man was left financially crippled just few months after retirement that was when it downed on me that banking job is not what it seems.
Thank God I chose a different path to life,became an enterpreneur because of my love for freedom and adventures and its been wonderful.
You can never build an empire by being an employee, but you can by being an employer and thats why it is wise to have multiple stream of income.
Always have plan B and develop that investing and enterpreneural mindset as thats the only way that guarantee lasting success.

2 Likes

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by dfav: 2:37pm On Nov 04, 2013
My advice is that if you are married. Try and set a target let say 5yrs.. for starting and growing ur business part time.
If u have a wife.. let her be the core manager in charge.

One thing that is very important in business is fund... and via working in the bank u have a good access to it.
Make sure you take enough loan for ur business plzzz not for luxury oo...
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by wumicipm(f): 2:38pm On Nov 04, 2013
Ibyno: The world, is real funny, I dey pray hard morning and night to gain bank work and u are here complaining to leave, my brother a bird in hand worth thousand outside there . Use ur brain .
the question he asked was directed to ex bankers not intending ones. you should always read before writing.... i'm an ex banker having worked for 6 years and regreting why i wasted 6 years of my life in slavery. I was sacked and had no where to turn to even family members who helped spend the money when i was working turned their back on me. i'd always wanted to learn tailoring but no time untill i was forced to leave now, i earn three times what i erned when @the bank.
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by orgasticdance: 3:09pm On Nov 04, 2013
airtel internet is crap which internet dey stable pass for abuja?
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Step84(m): 3:41pm On Nov 04, 2013
you had better pray to God to give you a job where by there is rest of mind, and not just a bank work because you might not find it interesting after getting the bank work.
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Nov 04, 2013
chucky234: Hmmm bankers sha, my dad served Habib Bank for years and we thought all was well with the enjoyment galore and that banker's son tag, the old man was left financially crippled just few months after retirement that was when it downed on me that banking job is not what it seems.
Thank God I chose a different path to life,became an enterpreneur because of my love for freedom and adventures and its been wonderful.
You can never build an empire by being an employee, but you can by being an employer and thats why it is wise to have multiple stream of income.
Always have plan B and develop that investing and enterpreneural mindset as thats the only way that guarantee lasting success.
Thank You for this post kiss
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by benzion72(m): 4:11pm On Nov 04, 2013
Point of correction you are not a Banker, you are a Bank worker. We often make that error that we are the banker, no the preferential share holder, directors executive and non executives, top management staffs from the principal manger are the bankers. Others are bank workers. Having said that, you need to keep your job or whatsoever you are doing now. Even if you have a tested plan you need to give it a trial to be sure. It is failure prove. I am working at my own pace now, I am using my brain for the first time in years not following stereotyped manual of procedure. I wake up any time and I sleep anytime, I work round the clock, think all the time and proffer solution to my challenges.
I like some advise here, invest in landed properties, it appreciate overtime. Use internet to connect your church often. Most churches are online now. Redeemed has liveway radio, Winners has domi radio.
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by impactmaker: 4:16pm On Nov 04, 2013
maryjames9: Good one. Many only learn the hard way cos the salary as a banker makes one so relaxed like tomorrow will never come. Banking is a good profession cos you learn many things there. My advice to bankers is this. Try to learn all you could not only in your department but others, save a significant sum every month 4rm ur salary and keep saving for the next economic meltdown. Unfortunately,many always say "i reject it in Jesus Name" or exercise faith when they get bank job. I have seen people testify in church that they were not fired among many colleagues only for their sack letter 2 get to them following week. Take a loan, i mean a significant amount 4rm bank and buy plots of land somewhere. Real estate is good 4 you people cos it requires little attention cos when the "chips are down" you have something. Dont take loan 2 buy cars,do big wedding parties, get luxurious duplex in lekki, travel to london for 1 month leave. Be shrewd in investing cos nothing is forever. Above all,plan your exit as you get your appointment letter.

That is an absolute truth and it does not only apply to people in the banking industry but also to all professions.
The secret of financial freedom is consistent savings and investment. How do I mean? Set aside a certain percentage of your income every month (like you would do when paying tithe) and let it go into savings. After some time, invest it! It may not be as easy as being said but the fact is that you can do it!! Just imagine that you are earning a particular percentage of your income and plan your budget around it.
You will be suprised at how financially free you will become.
That is the secret!!!
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by gbokukueba(m): 5:12pm On Nov 04, 2013
Life is actually greener on the other side some of us are a living testimony
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 04, 2013
GSKing:

*crying and screaming at the world*

I no wan study again ooooo, I tell una say I no like that course before... na una go suffer am if I resign without notice!!!

LMAO!! grin

Girl easy! The job market is a very flexible one, so far as you have a good result. You mustn't work in a bank. Consulting and Audit firms come to mind.

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Afodot0022(m): 6:23pm On Nov 04, 2013
banking job.....hissed....... that job almost toke my dear life...... at 27 my BP was high.... no peace or rest of mind... no time to plan ur future.... all that will be in ur brain is the job .... the stress i went through almost took my life to the extent that i couldnt breath well again. even when u are very ill, nobody cares.... just get the job done.... at d begining, it was fun but on the long run, i got so frustrated with my life. the physical ,psychological and the mental stress and torture i went thru.. i even notice that my brain start shutting down.. men i had to run for my life o before i bcome useless even to my self.... till date, hv not recovered fully from all the stress i went through cos the job really distabilize me and my health.. crazy and frustrating job i tell u...
my advice.... if u know u cant handle stress, pls and pls dont think of working in the bank unless u are ready to give up ur life.... i regret why i wasted my time all this while..

signature
smooth.....
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Nov 04, 2013
Je juo nne gi!

opylas:
How old are u?

1 Like

Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by GSKing: 7:03pm On Nov 04, 2013
masonkz:

LMAO!! grin

Girl easy! The job market is a very flexible one, so far as you have a good result. You mustn't work in a bank even if you studied *** There are many other choices out there. Consulting and Audit firms comes to mind.

please sir help me modify your post... thanks in advance
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Nov 04, 2013
I've been wondering If these same complaints also affect those in other non-marketing units. say Treasury, HR, IT, FinCon, etc??
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by mrspeaker: 7:14pm On Nov 04, 2013
Infact,they are in living in bondage. Most of the children of the so called bankers/ workers does not knw their parent or either of them because of the dirty job they are doing. Aside what most of our ladies have gone thru especially the marketers u will understand my point.Pls always have a plan B or C for for ur sake and family.U never knw what the bank holds for u in the nearest future. plan ur exit before the bank show u the exit door. For those who are still in the system should try and cut cost and be prudent ur spending.
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by rhames(m): 7:50pm On Nov 04, 2013
Have a Plan B , C or D. Your savings during your worklife matters a lot after banking years. Entrepreneurship is the way to go and start thinking of the bnext available step to take. Good luck.
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by okpanachil: 7:58pm On Nov 04, 2013
Yazmin:

Chairman...I feel you.
Your story reminds me of som1 I think I know.
It would be well with you bro, God willing.
7 months to another round of heart beating,breathtaking,bootlicking, pound of flesh taking exercise.....if you get the gist....!

Bros do u work in that bank the begins with the 7th letter of d alphabet?
Re: Ex-bankers: How Is Life Outside Banking? by vital: 8:07pm On Nov 04, 2013
I think you should ask mr willie obiano,former MD of fidelity bank who's governorship aspirant of anambra state

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Amouna And Hauwa Indimi Graduate From Lynn University, Florida, USA. / List of Logistics Companies For use within Nigeria. / Zenith Bank "Network Is Down" Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.