Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East (2516 Views)

Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance / Fashola Becomes Minister For Power, Housing And Works: A New Dawn! / Patricia Naomi Akwashiki, New Minister For Information Appointed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by kettykings: 12:06am On Nov 04, 2013
Congratulations on your recent Elevation from a Minister of state for Foreign Affairs to an acting minister of Foreign Affairs hopefully this appointment would be ratified before the end of year.
This is to bring to your Notice the very urgent need to use your good offices to compel the foreign Missions in the country to open consular offices that would cater for the people of the former eastern block now South East and South South.

Presently Niger Deltans and igbos who have one or two businesses to transact in USA, Britain, Canada,France, China, India, Israel,European Union would have themselves booking flights , or other means of public transport to Lagos and Abuja incurring very high transportation cost and travel risks even when they are not sure of the out come of their Transactions.

With the Creation of Abuja the stress and risk of travelling to Lagos for people in the former Northern states has been reduced drastically as most Northerners who reside in the north now go to Abuja from neighbouring states and return the same day . while the Travelling stress , risk and cost are not the only reasons other reasons like the recent dispute over the ownership and intrusion of igbos to lagos also comes to bearing,
The diplomatic/consular offices would reduce drastically the number of unwanted igbo visitors to lagos improve the local economy of the former eastern Region as more businesses like travel Agencies , travel insurance etc would spring up to cater for the Easterners touring overseas.
It will ensure also the optimal use of the Enugu International Airport and the surrounding International airport in Asaba, Uyo, Calabar,Port Harcourt etc.

The over 50 million Easterners would be spared the stress of coming to Lagos for their travel needs, there will be less air disaster of which the Lagos airport has been reputed to have hosted 90% of such recently and the igbo Migration to Lagos and Abuja would be drastically reduced or stopped entirely while the bulk of the money spent on travels to lagos would be disposed in other sectors of the eastern economy

The Diplomatic missions could be established in the Cities of Enugu and Port Harcourt, Enugu to host Chinese,israel , Indian high ,Germany, french, canadian etc while Port Harcourt can host the American, Britain, Russia, Korea consular offices

If this is done this would put your family name in gold in the land mark of National Achievement , and present you in the Igbo hall of fame for life.

17 Likes

Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by tpia5: 12:10am On Nov 04, 2013
i dont see a problem with it, however you must run it by shymexx and his buddies first, to make sure they dont have a problem with it.
Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by eye4eye: 12:12am On Nov 04, 2013
Op is a joker! With the headquarter and branch offices of kidnappers, ritualist, and rapists located in the Southeastern Nigeria, there won't be an embassy located in alaibo for another 200 years.
Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by kettykings: 12:13am On Nov 04, 2013
France ,Italy, Germany have more than 7 consular offices of the United state in different parts of the countries

south Africa has 4

South Africa
Pretoria (Embassy)
Cape Town (Consulate General)
Durban (Consulate General)
Johannesburg (Consulate General)

china has 5
People's Republic of China
Beijing (Embassy)
Chengdu (Consulate General)
Guangzhou (Consulate General)
Shanghai (Consulate General)
Shenyang (Consulate General)
Wuhan (Consulate General)

India has 5

India
New Delhi (Embassy)
Chennai (Consulate General)
Hyderabad (Consulate General)
Kolkata (Consulate General)
Mumbai (Consulate General)

4 Likes

Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by kettykings: 12:18am On Nov 04, 2013
eye4eye: Op is a joker! With the headquarter and branch offices of kidnappers, ritualist, and rapists located in the Southeastern Nigeria, there won't be an embassy located in alaibo for another 200 years.

It would help to de congest lagos of the igbo kidnappers and ritualist which i suppose you would welcome

Britain already has toed that line see british high commission in Nigeria below

Nigeria
Abuja (High Commission)
Lagos (Deputy High Commission)
Kaduna (High Commission Liaison Office)
Ibadan (Liaison Office)
Port Harcourt (High Commission Liaison Office)

3 Likes

Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by IGBOSON1: 12:24am On Nov 04, 2013
I think the position of Minister for foreign affairs should be reserved for the South West; so she can be acting as full minister for the time being....and use this time to do what you suggest!

Enugu is the regional capital of the South East; with an Int'l airport, so it should have some consular presence of some of the major western countries.
Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by rosebowl01(m): 12:25am On Nov 04, 2013
This is nice. But wait, are you gonna put these in process or just day dreaming? Ibaje eniyan k'oda ise Oluwa duro. Eko onibaje regardless of you peoples' level of hatred.

kettykings: Congratulations on your recent Elevation from a Minister of state for Foreign Affairs to an acting minister of Foreign Affairs hopefully this appointment would be ratified before the end of year.
This is to bring to your Notice the very urgent need to use your good offices to compel the foreign Missions in the country to open consular offices that would cater for the people of the former eastern block now South East and South South.

Presently Niger Deltans and igbos who have one or two businesses to transact in USA, Britain, Canada,France, China, India, Israel,European Union would have themselves booking flights , or other means of public transport to Lagos and Abuja incurring very high transportation cost and travel risks even when they are not sure of the out come of their Transactions.

With the Creation of Abuja the stress and risk of travelling to Lagos for people in the former Northern states has been reduced drastically as most Northerners who reside in the north now go to Abuja from neighbouring states and return the same day . while the Travelling stress , risk and cost are not the only reasons other reasons like the recent dispute over the ownership and intrusion of igbos to lagos also comes to bearing,
The diplomatic/consular offices would reduce drastically the number of unwanted igbo visitors to lagos improve the local economy of the former eastern Region as more businesses like travel Agencies , travel insurance etc would spring up to cater for the Easterners touring overseas.
It will ensure also the optimal use of the Enugu International Airport and the surrounding International airport in Asaba, Uyo, Calabar,Port Harcourt etc.

The over 50 million Easterners would be spared the stress of coming to Lagos for their travel needs, there will be less air disaster of which the Lagos airport has been reputed to have hosted 90% of such recently and the igbo Migration to Lagos and Abuja would be drastically reduced or stopped entirely while the bulk of the money spent on travels to lagos would be disposed in other sectors of the eastern economy

The Diplomatic missions could be established in the Cities of Enugu and Port Harcourt, Enugu to host Chinese,israel , Indian high ,Germany, french, canadian etc while Port Harcourt can host the American, Britain, Russia, Korea consular offices

If this is done this would put your family name in gold in the land mark of National Achievement , and present you in the Igbo hall of fame for life.
Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by tpia5: 12:26am On Nov 04, 2013
if britain already has an office in port harcourt, then i guess you're asking the US, France and other foreign countries, to do the same and open offices in enugu and PH.

like i said, i'm indifferent either way, but you must doublecheck with those who are not, eg shymexx and his crew.
Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by FreeGlobe(f): 12:27am On Nov 04, 2013
kettykings:

It would help to de congest lagos of the igbo kidnappers and ritualist which i suppose you would welcome

Britain already has toed that line see british high commission in Nigeria below

Nigeria
Abuja (High Commission)
Lagos (Deputy High Commission)
Kaduna (High Commission Liaison Office)
Ibadan (Liaison Office)
Port Harcourt (High Commission Liaison Office)
Britain has two offices in the north and south west and non in the east who make up majority of their travellers. yeye dey smell. A liaison office atleast should be opened in Enugu asap

9 Likes

Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by FreeGlobe(f): 12:33am On Nov 04, 2013
rosebowl01: This is nice. But wait, are you gonna put these in process or just day dreaming? Ibaje eniyan k'oda ise Oluwa duro. Eko onibaje regardless of you peoples' level of hatred.

if you like speak in Mandarin, you folks in eko should start readying your propaganda against the acting minister, you have already started panicking when nothing has been done yet. By the time our plans are actualized we will know if yorubas can sustain eko
Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by IGBOSON1: 12:37am On Nov 04, 2013
FreeGlobe:
Britain has two offices in the north and south west and non in the east who make up majority of their travellers. yeye dey smell. A liaison office atleast should be opened in Enugu asap

^^^As i look at that list Kettyking posted, i can only conclude that those major countries were encouraged/pressurised to locate offices in certain parts of the country, and discouraged from having a presence in others! When we talk of how wicked some people have been to us now, some peeps will think there's no justification for having any feeling other than unalloyed love for 'one Nigeria'!

Just take another look at that list and tell me Ndigbo have been treated fairly.....as equal partners in this country!
Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by tpia5: 12:38am On Nov 04, 2013
i think its some yorubas who are afraid of igbos leaving.

you should know them by their posts and actions.

i wont elaborate because i think some of these things are very clear to those who do not play games and are not double minded or is it double mouthed.

3 Likes

Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by tpia5: 12:39am On Nov 04, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^As i look at that list Kettyking posted, i can only conclude that those major countries were encouraged/pressurised to locate offices in certain parts of the country, and discouraged from having a presence in others! When we talk of how wicked some people have been to us now, some peeps will think there's no justification for having any feeling other than unalloyed love for 'one Nigeria'!

Just take another look at that list and tell me Ndigbo have been treated fairly.....as equal partners in this country!

dont derail the thread unless thats what you mean to do.

the op did not introduce sentiment in her post.
Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by henrychubayo: 5:39am On Nov 04, 2013
I love this suggestion. Now that most embassies use VFS and other agencies for visa applications, it will be good to encourage the VFS to open offices in Enugu and PH. As for the US and BRITAIN, those of our ppl who re citizens of this countries can play a major role in this regard. If they can come in group and make a formal presence at the embassies in Abuja and Lagos, with their letters of request, then the Ambassador will start making some plans about it. Wen u look at somethings, u will notice dat some people have not been treated fairly just because they came from a particular region. From Abuja to Kaduna and Abuja to Enugu, which one is nearer and yet they have leaders then most have asked them to open the office in Kaduna. The same with Lagos to Ibadan, and Lagos to Enugu or PH. In d east and Niger delta, we have nothing, yet ppl still want us to remain dat way. Changes are needed very urgently now

2 Likes

Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by gurnam: 5:45am On Nov 04, 2013
kettykings: Congratulations on your recent Elevation from a Minister of state for Foreign Affairs to an acting minister of Foreign Affairs hopefully this appointment would be ratified before the end of year.

OP...

You people have always been known to be selfish...covetous and greedy...left to you...Ibos should head all government MDA's

While the talk of relieving Oduah was going up...Ibos are already (rightly) that any successor must not just be any Ibo...but from Anambra.

But here is the Ibo OP asking that not only should the Ibo woman act for a Yoruba slot....but should be confirmed as substantive minister.

Greedy fools!

1 Like

Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by Delafruita(m): 7:41am On Nov 04, 2013
FreeGlobe:
how does a person just conclude that the majority of travellers come from a certain place?its not in doubt that south-easterners travel a great deal but I will want to believe majority of such journeys will be to asia where the bulk of their trade lies.

The ministry of foreign affairs is not at liberty to cajole,coerce or ensure consulates open offices in all regions or states,such openings will be the prerogative of such consulates depending on various factors such as security,necessity,revenue etc.I do agree that the southeast should play host to consulates and I can only hope with time,that will happen but we should remember there are some embassies without any presence in nigeria and nigerians have to go as far as egypt,kenya and sometimes ghana to get visas.

5 Likes

Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by Delafruita(m): 7:49am On Nov 04, 2013
IGBO-SON:

you have a problem and that problem plays a large part in why you have severe low self worth.you keep trumping the victim card which seems to have robbed you of all rationality and ability to use and apply logic.perhaps you want us to join you in your asinine thoughts which is why you would want to have us believe the location of embassies or consulates is determined by the nigerian government or any government for that matter.

5 Likes

Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by FreeGlobe(f): 7:54am On Nov 04, 2013
^
The question is why is does an ethnic group from the ethnic tripod in Nigeria not have an embassy/liaison office while the rest 2 have 2 each, if tables are turned, will you accept that in SW. And go check figures majority of south easterners travel to Britain, even far more than northerners for instance

6 Likes

Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by collynzo2(m): 8:14am On Nov 04, 2013
Most brilliant post on Nairaland ever! Please this shouldn't end on Nairaland, we should try as much as possible to make sure this letter gets to the relevent authorities. An Agenda like this one should be further pushed through the electronic media.

1 Like

Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by collynzo2(m): 8:17am On Nov 04, 2013
eye4eye: Op is a joker! With the headquarter and branch offices of kidnappers, ritualist, and rapists located in the Southeastern Nigeria, there won't be an embassy located in alaibo for another 200 years.
I don't know what some of you want. This is an idea that will help decongest Lagos and drastically reduce the number of Igbos there, isn't that what you want anymore.
By the way southwest is the headquarters of assasinations, incèst rapès, rituals and armed robberies, but that didn't stop embassies from being located there.

2 Likes

Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by Emperor00S: 8:29am On Nov 04, 2013
All the Eastern governors should work with FG, to lobby for Visa liaison offices of different countries to be opened in Enugu.

This should be encouraged and work round the clock to bring it to reality.

Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by Emperor00S: 8:34am On Nov 04, 2013
It doesn't matter who the minister is, Eastern governors should work with FG / the minister ( who ever ) and lobby for visa liaison offices to be set-up in Enugu.

This would make the Enugu International Airpot to be highly viable.

1 Like

Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by fkaz(m): 8:45am On Nov 04, 2013
Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by AlfaSeltzer(m): 8:56am On Nov 04, 2013
What is true is that if these embassies have been located in the east, I would never have put my feet in Yorubaland.
Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by ba7man(m): 9:16am On Nov 04, 2013
collynzo2: I don't know what some of you want. This is an idea that will help decongest Lagos and drastically reduce the number of Igbos there, isn't that what you want anymore.
By the way southwest is the headquarters of assasinations, incèst rapès, rituals and armed robberies, but that didn't stop embassies from being located there.
But we don't have rampant cases of kidnapping with impunity, Baby farms, rape of old ladies............ and waking up to find 30-somthing dead bodies floating in our rivers. ( That last one alone is enough to give a country planning to open a consular office in the region creeps.)

4 Likes

Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by Slizbeat(m): 10:03am On Nov 04, 2013
Very nice write up indeed but are you gonna follow it up?? Though we are totally in support of it and if u make a move, we push further.
Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 10:10am On Nov 04, 2013
ba7man: But we don't have rampant cases of kidnapping with impunity, Baby farms, rape of old ladies............ and waking up to find 30-somthing dead bodies floating in our rivers. ( That last one alone is enough to give a country planning to open a consular office in the region creeps.)

If comments such as dis are ban or erased nairaland will be better for it. For every action their is an opposite and equal reaction.

1 Like

Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 10:12am On Nov 04, 2013
OP, u have made alot of sense with this appeal for consular offices in the east.

Naturally, Enugu will be ideal to host this consular offices. Enugu has an international airport and host The university of Nigeria.

It is not fair that other regions should have two consular offices for certain countries and the east has none for all foreign mission.

This injustice must be rectified for the attainment of an equal playing field.
Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:28am On Nov 04, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe:

If comments such as dis are ban or erased nairaland will be better for it. For every action their is an opposite and equal reaction.

I don't see anything wrong with that comment.
Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by ba7man(m): 10:41am On Nov 04, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe:

I would never make a comment like that on a good day.........but some comments like that guy i quoted just reach down into you to bring out that sub-concious bigot within.

You can't keep reading posts like his nd be all sweet nd flowery with your replies.
Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by Nobody: 10:43am On Nov 04, 2013
Enugu state govt has a role to play in bringing consular/visa offices to Enugu.we also have distinguished Igbo sons and daughters who have made a mark for themselves internationally,this is where they can come in silently and help bring some of these consular/visa offices to enugu.those who have access to such prominent Igbo sons and daughters need to talk to them about it so they can key in.enugu state govt should provide some prime estate for office and residential accommodation in other to lure some of the nations especially u.s.a,germany and some of the asia nations like china,japan and korea into opening visa/consular offices in enugu.

1 Like

Re: Appeal To The Minister For Foreign Affairs: Consular Offices In The East by PointB: 10:44am On Nov 04, 2013
Op has made a valide observation and an important request. I dont know how many people in authority visit this forum/board.

There are two angles to approach this - pressure on the government and the foreign offices. I think NNO should further delibrate this in the council.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oyo Govt Completes Apete Pedestrian Bridge. / Digesting Australian Dr Davis Report On Boko Haram / Welcome To Akwa Ibom The Promise Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.