Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,884 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

Nigerian Pidgin English Becoming More Popular And Spoken In African Countries - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerian Pidgin English Becoming More Popular And Spoken In African Countries (3652 Views)

Top Ten Most Popular And Influential Nairalanders In 2015 / Most Popular And Influential Nairalanders / Pidgin English "chyking" Lines You've Used Or Heard (strictly Pidgin) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Pidgin English Becoming More Popular And Spoken In African Countries by Nobody: 5:30am On Nov 04, 2013
Well Moderators, I don't seems to know which section to post this, maybe you can help me to move it to the desired right section..

Nigerian Pidgin English is becoming more and more popular in Ghana, South Africa and African countries in General. The popularity is growing that entertainers from other African countries are infusing the language to sell themselves and brands. Recently a Botswanan female artiste was massively criticized in her country for using pidgin in her song. The zimbawean artiste she featured also spoke pidgin and that is not the first time the featured artiste using is speaking pidgin. One reason she gave for using pidgin is that Nigerian music style and cultures is the most selling and widely accepted in Africa and she’s not regretting it. She’s not the only one. I don’t know if you are noticing this, south African artistes are beginning to open up to pidgin. I am beginning to hear them speak pidgin in their songs. Not only or two but more. Even though they’re not quite fluent but it will gradually grow. When the wave started sweeping Ghana, their media and Ghanian populace massively criticized the Ghanian musicians for using pidgin in their songs. This was 7 to 10 years ago. Now they are tired of criticizing, they have no choice than to accept it because most Ghanians loves pidgin, they want to speak it the way Nigerians do even though they find it difficult. Ghanians speak pidgin English, but it doesn’t sound good in their tongue. Nigerian Pidgin is widely popular in Ghana, one of the easiest way to know a Nigerian and Ghanian in the streets ok Accra is their pidgin accent. Ghanians love the Nigeria pidgin accent, the flow and the meanings. They are massively infusing the Nigerian pidgin in their movies.

Nigerian Pidgin is gradually gaining acceptance in Kenya. Some of their artistes are beginning to infuse it into their songs, even in some of their soap operas you hear them say “wetin” or “chop my money”. Some of them who speaks it might not speak it fluently but enjoys hearing it. Nigerian Pidgin is widely popular in Nairobi that it is one of the signatures used to identify a Nigerian in that city because of the accent. Speaking it can even get you a fine Kenyan girl, Kenyan Girls loves Nigerians a lot.

As pidgin is widely becoming popular globally, I think is time for the Federal Government to make it official language. Let’s create our own, not only accepting French and Chinese. The Government need to make Nigerian Pidgin official. Nigerian Pidgin is widely spoken and accepted among Nigerians. It is the only language that almost all Nigerians both in the rural and urban can speak and understand. Yoruba can’t be spoken widely in Eastern states, Igbo can’t be spoken widely in the North, Hausa can’t be spoken widely in Niger Delta, likewise other languages. But Nigerian Pidgin beats them all, it is the most widely spoken language in Nigeria.

Pidgin English being popular in Africa, all thanks to Nigerian entertainers. Exporting it through their songs, movies and comedy. But I don’t really know the origin of the language, how it came about in Nigeria. I have searched through the internet but couldn’t get a concrete origin of how it came about, that all ethnics and tribes could speak it very well but each ethnic and tribe can’t accept other ethnic’s languages.

Nigerian pidgin English is a great language and I look forward to seeing the FG making it an official Nigerian Language apart from English.

http://www.hovabuzz.com/news/562-nigerian-pidgin-english-becoming-more-popular-and-accepted-in-other-african-countries

And ehmm by they way, i was arguing with a friend of mine, he said Pidgin English originated from Ghana. is this true. where does this our Nigerian Pidgin originated from?
Re: Nigerian Pidgin English Becoming More Popular And Spoken In African Countries by Mynd44: 5:36am On Nov 04, 2013
Make pidgin the official language?

Maybe Obama will soon make Ebonics America's official language too then
Re: Nigerian Pidgin English Becoming More Popular And Spoken In African Countries by Nobody: 5:46am On Nov 04, 2013
Na benin ppl get pidgin na
Re: Nigerian Pidgin English Becoming More Popular And Spoken In African Countries by McStoic(m): 6:19am On Nov 04, 2013
wandeok: Well Moderators, I don't seems to know which section to post this, maybe you can help me to move it to the desired right section..

Nigerian Pidgin English is becoming more and more popular in Ghana, South Africa and African countries in General. The popularity is growing that entertainers from other African countries are infusing the language to sell themselves and brands. Recently a Botswanan female artiste was massively criticized in her country for using pidgin in her song. The zimbawean artiste she featured also spoke pidgin and that is not the first time the featured artiste using is speaking pidgin. One reason she gave for using pidgin is that Nigerian music style and cultures is the most selling and widely accepted in Africa and she’s not regretting it. She’s not the only one. I don’t know if you are noticing this, south African artistes are beginning to open up to pidgin. I am beginning to hear them speak pidgin in their songs. Not only or two but more. Even though they’re not quite fluent but it will gradually grow. When the wave started sweeping Ghana, their media and Ghanian populace massively criticized the Ghanian musicians for using pidgin in their songs. This was 7 to 10 years ago. Now they are tired of criticizing, they have no choice than to accept it because most Ghanians loves pidgin, they want to speak it the way Nigerians do even though they find it difficult. Ghanians speak pidgin English, but it doesn’t sound good in their tongue. Nigerian Pidgin is widely popular in Ghana, one of the easiest way to know a Nigerian and Ghanian in the streets ok Accra is their pidgin accent. Ghanians love the Nigeria pidgin accent, the flow and the meanings. They are massively infusing the Nigerian pidgin in their movies.

Nigerian Pidgin is gradually gaining acceptance in Kenya. Some of their artistes are beginning to infuse it into their songs, even in some of their soap operas you hear them say “wetin” or “chop my money”. Some of them who speaks it might not speak it fluently but enjoys hearing it. Nigerian Pidgin is widely popular in Nairobi that it is one of the signatures used to identify a Nigerian in that city because of the accent. Speaking it can even get you a fine Kenyan girl, Kenyan Girls loves Nigerians a lot.

As pidgin is widely becoming popular globally, I think is time for the Federal Government to make it official language. Let’s create our own, not only accepting French and Chinese. The Government need to make Nigerian Pidgin official. Nigerian Pidgin is widely spoken and accepted among Nigerians. It is the only language that almost all Nigerians both in the rural and urban can speak and understand. Yoruba can’t be spoken widely in Eastern states, Igbo can’t be spoken widely in the North, Hausa can’t be spoken widely in Niger Delta, likewise other languages. But Nigerian Pidgin beats them all, it is the most widely spoken language in Nigeria.

Pidgin English being popular in Africa, all thanks to Nigerian entertainers. Exporting it through their songs, movies and comedy. But I don’t really know the origin of the language, how it came about in Nigeria. I have searched through the internet but couldn’t get a concrete origin of how it came about, that all ethnics and tribes could speak it very well but each ethnic and tribe can’t accept other ethnic’s languages.

Nigerian pidgin English is a great language and I look forward to seeing the FG making it an official Nigerian Language apart from English.

http://www.hovabuzz.com/news/562-nigerian-pidgin-english-becoming-more-popular-and-accepted-in-other-african-countries

And ehmm by they way, i was arguing with a friend of mine, he said Pidgin English originated from Ghana. is this true. where does this our Nigerian Pidgin originated from?

. Bros, i no know where our Pidgin from come. Other countries like Sierra Leone get their own too. Likewise some countries from the Caribbean. Dem talk say na bastardised or modified form of the original English language adapted to serve its purpose first to the locale. Some English words can be quirky, so our forefathers modified it to suit their tongues.............Ever noted these words and their correct meanings? Sofri sofri= Softly softly, Gerrout!=get out!, sharrap=shut up, Siddon=sit down, just to name a few........Nigerian pidgin carries the day though especially when communicating with a like fellow outside the shores of this country.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Pidgin English Becoming More Popular And Spoken In African Countries by Nobody: 6:26am On Nov 04, 2013
Jasboi: Na benin ppl get pidgin na
I bin no wan shook mouth for dis talk, but e be like say na waffi get dis pigeon o!

*if only you can see who is speaking this? Lol! I don try
Re: Nigerian Pidgin English Becoming More Popular And Spoken In African Countries by Nobody: 6:42am On Nov 04, 2013
Mc Stoic: . Bros, i no know where our Pidgin from come. Other countries like Sierra Leone get their own too. Likewise some countries from the Caribbean. Dem talk say na bastardised or modified form of the original English language adapted to serve its purpose first to the locale. Some English words can be quirky, so our forefathers modified it to suit their tongues.............Ever noted these words and their correct meanings? Sofri sofri= Softly softly, Gerrout!=get out!, sharrap=shut up, Siddon=sit down, just to name a few........Nigerian pidgin carries the day though especially when communicating with a like fellow outside the shores of this country.
hmmmmmmmmmm...... Dats gr8 bro.. Yeah Nigerians pidgin carries d day cus each time we speak it outside d shores of dis country, people love it, the slangs, swag, flavour in which we use in speaking it. It seems Nigerians own is more popular and ....
Re: Nigerian Pidgin English Becoming More Popular And Spoken In African Countries by Emmyk(m): 7:52am On Nov 04, 2013
There are many words in the pidgin English from various tribes in Nigeria as well Ashawo, Oga, Ogbeni....Yoruba

Gobe, wahala....Hausa.

And so on.
Re: Nigerian Pidgin English Becoming More Popular And Spoken In African Countries by sCun: 7:58am On Nov 04, 2013
Mynd_44: Make pidgin the official language?

Maybe Obama will soon make Ebonics America's official language too then
Is Ebonics widely spoken in America like Pidgin is in Nigeria? Ebonics is only spoken among few blacks. Use your bleeping brain.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Pidgin English Becoming More Popular And Spoken In African Countries by Mynd44: 8:03am On Nov 04, 2013
sCun: Is Ebonics widely spoken in America like Pidgin is in Nigeria? Ebonics is only spoken among few blacks. Use your bleeping brain.
And how many places have you been to in Nigeria to decide that it is "widely spoken"?
Re: Nigerian Pidgin English Becoming More Popular And Spoken In African Countries by Obrafour(m): 8:17am On Nov 04, 2013
wandeok: . And ehmm by they way, i was arguing with a friend of mine, he said Pidgin English originated from ghana. is this true. where does this our Nigerian Pidgin originated
from?
From what I hear Pidgin english originated from the four WestAfrican Gold Coast Colonies(Nigeria,Ghana,Sierra Leone & The Gambia). Each of the above countries have their unque way of speaking pidgin english. Not one pidgin english is the same. Pidgin english was regarded as the language for illiterates and school drop-outs, but the reverse is the case today. Pidgin English is regarded as the lingua franca among the youth of Ghana today.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Pidgin English Becoming More Popular And Spoken In African Countries by sCun: 8:47am On Nov 04, 2013
Mynd_44:
And how many places have you been to in Nigeria to decide that it is "widely spoken"?
I have been to virtually everywhere in Nigeria. Pidgin is widely spoken and understood by a vast majority of Nigerians. Same cannot be said for Ebonics and Americans.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Pidgin English Becoming More Popular And Spoken In African Countries by dasparrow: 9:56am On Nov 04, 2013
@Post

I love pidgin English especially when one is chatting with friends. The language just flows and sounds very nice to the ears. I also love songs sang in our pidgin English.
Re: Nigerian Pidgin English Becoming More Popular And Spoken In African Countries by Freiburger(m): 3:54pm On Nov 04, 2013
worldwide.
Re: Nigerian Pidgin English Becoming More Popular And Spoken In African Countries by Nashar: 11:48am On Sep 29, 2023
They say Google is your best friend and it is so true, as you can find most information including Origin of languages, Food, etc a one minute search or two and WIKIPEDIA will tell you the origin. Nigerian 🇳🇬 Pidgin is very interesting and from my search according to Wikipedia it is believed that pidgin first came to Nigeria 🇳🇬 before it spread to other West African countries. Nigerian Pidgin is not only the most spoken pidgin all over the world, but it’s also the version spoken internationally e.g British Broadcasting Service (BBC). The beauty of Nigerian Pidgin is not just the broken English mixed with Portuguese, it’s also the addition of Nigerian tribal languages, this makes it unique e.g words like Oga, Commot, Abeg, Wetin, Abi, Yansh, Ehen, Domot, Jor, Oya, Shey, How far etc all originated from Nigeria 🇳🇬, but a lot of Non Nigerians are now speaking it, some are even trying to claim it as theirs. I responded to a post and a Zimbabwean guy replied me and said the word “How Far” is a Zimbabwean word and this is coming from a guy who is from a country that DOES NOT speak pidgin English, I told him a one minute search will educate him. Same as the word “Ehen” a Ghanaian guy responded to me on instagram and said it’s not only Nigerians that say it, I told him to goggle as there are lots of sources, including the major source Wikipedia which is there to educate him. These “Nigerianization of African countries” started with the Nigerian entertainment industry like you rightfully pointed out, this is as a result of the internet which has led to globalization, after all they say the world is a global village and with this availability of internet in Africa the Nigerian influence will keep rising so be prepared. As for the Ghanaian guy, tell him that pidgin is a new phenomenon in Ghana as most Ghanaians still CAN NOT speak pidgin, because it was never part of their commutation in the past unlike Nigeria and the reason you see most Ghanaians speaking and copying Nigerian Pidgin is as a result of the same Nigerian entertainment industry influence. This started just before 2010 in Ghana, as a trend to speak like a Nigerian by copying Nigerian slangs, terminologies and Nigerian English that several articles were published on it. One article I read was from ghanaweb.com in 2010 and another in 2013, on the “Nigerianisation of Ghanaian Society” where Ghanaians in the universities, workplaces and in their music and movies where speaking Nigerian English, slangs and tribal words like Oga, Tufiakwa, wahala, Chineke, Wetin etc and this was 13 years back. Now you have same Ghanaians most of them trying to claim Nigerian Pidgin, slangs and even tribal words as their own. This is beginning to happen in other countries as well especially Zimbabwe, Uganda, Kenya etc where Pidgin English IS NOT even spoken. In conclusion as much as it’s now becoming trendy to speak or sound Nigerian, we must do EVERYTHING to protect our language and it’s Origin, so that as it becomes more spoken outside Nigeria and the lines become more blurred, we have the blue print DOCUMENTED in our Nigerian literature, books, dictionaries, thesis, documentaries etc .

(1) (Reply)

My Letter To Firstbank / Cup C Cafe House In Thailand Has Become A Perfect Destination For All Men / Amazing Facts of the world You'd Want To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.