Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,364 members, 7,819,312 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? (8287 Views)

How Jollof Rice Was Served In A Party (pics) / Picture Of Jollof Rice Been Cooked By A Nairalander / Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by Gamine(f): 6:39pm On Jul 11, 2008
I was eating the rice yesterday and it just came to me that I didnt know what Jollof meant.

Please who knows the meaning?
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by icezik1(m): 6:47pm On Jul 11, 2008
I have no idea what it means but I'm gonna make an (un)informed guess and say it originated from the Wollof language which is spoken in the Gambia. I remember eating Jollof when I was there like 10 years ago.
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by Gamine(f): 6:50pm On Jul 11, 2008
so it was Wollof rice?

then we converted it to Jollof
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by Seun(m): 6:53pm On Jul 11, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jollof_rice
"Jollof" is apparently a language?
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by Gamine(f): 6:58pm On Jul 11, 2008
mmm

i see. i see
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by nila07: 9:24pm On Jul 11, 2008
jolof is an ancient kingdom. it used to be where senegal is now.
Seun, wolof is the language
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by Moyola(f): 12:01pm On Jul 14, 2008
Jollof rice also called Benachin meaning one pot in d Jollof {Wolof} language. Wolof is a language spoken in Gambia, Senegal and Mauritania.

Jollof Rice is mainly cooked by Ghanaians and Nigerians, the dish originated from Gambia and Senegal.

source: wikipedia
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by mohawkchic(f): 2:58pm On Jul 14, 2008
~Isnt it amazing how a plate of Jollof rice trigged off the orign of the word Jollof . . lol cheesy

~We cook Jollof in Sierra Leone too,however i have noticed there's a difference in how its cookd by Nigerians and Gambians . . .Never tried the Ghanian Jollof thu!
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by Mustay(m): 4:55pm On Jul 14, 2008
mohaw

whatz the difference?
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by icezik1(m): 9:54am On Jul 15, 2008
What they wrote in that Wikipaedia entry is wrong. The language is Wollof not Jollof. So I guess, my guess, was right after all.
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by Seun(m): 1:04am On Jul 16, 2008
You're right. The link goes to this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolof_language
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by mohawkchic(f): 4:04am On Jul 16, 2008
Mustay:

mohaw

whatz the difference?

~Back home Jollof isnt not cooked as "One pot" there's alway some gravy sauce with all the "creatures" to go top of it,cooked seperately!!

~Sa Lone Jollof  Rice at worst,its always too oily/overcooked!! {Ive seen enough of those at Parties}
i suppose depending on who's cooking,it varies . . . its also not cooked dry . . . as in it don't come out like chinese fried rice! grin

~The colour is more Pink than red . . .

~These are the Three differences i have noticed!! You can just tell am a rubbish cook huh? embarassed
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by lammy2(f): 6:48pm On Jul 20, 2008
All this talk of jollof, wollof and rice is making me hungry. going to raid the fridge
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by mohawkchic(f): 3:04am On Jul 21, 2008
~Lol " Wollof ~ Jollof " cheesy
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by Alalabi(m): 9:32am On Jul 22, 2008
"Jollof" rice
or
"Jo love" rice
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by nila07: 1:07am On Jul 23, 2008
here is a pic of a version of the senegalese "jollof rice"
its yummy!

Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by mohawkchic(f): 2:20am On Jul 23, 2008
~Yum Yum wink
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by Gamine(f): 9:29am On Jul 23, 2008
it looks like the type i made last week undecided
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by chamotex(m): 7:48pm On Jul 23, 2008
no one cooks jollof rice like my mum

mama, i hail ooo grin kiss
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by mohawkchic(f): 11:01pm On Aug 02, 2008
~With All this chat chat about  Jollof,i have been craving for it for ages soOoo . . . wait for it I actaully cooked it myself!!

~Am well pleased with maself cheesy came out puurfect  wink I thought it will be a good opportunity to post a pic of sa. Lone Jolloh Not a great Pic but hey. . .sooo Todays special done by Chef Mohawkchic VVVVVVV cheesy

Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by mukina2: 11:15pm On Aug 02, 2008
MC
you make  ar memba me grannie hin Jollof embarassed
you are wicked grin
the colour shows how sweet it is grin na my grannie talk am oh

I have gotten used to cooking it the Gambian way, whenever I try to do it the salone way, i end up doing it the Gambian way.

My aunt sometimes cooks the salone way tongue
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by Viante(f): 11:19pm On Aug 02, 2008
MC

that looks really tasty

yum yum grin grin
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by mohawkchic(f): 11:21pm On Aug 02, 2008
~Aaah yah . . if you werent so far away i'd have invited you over tongue ush yah grin i think the pics look dodgy undecided,the flash bounced off the plate sad Mukina2 you see me big pepper cheesy
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by mohawkchic(f): 11:23pm On Aug 02, 2008
MC that looks really tasty yum yum

~LOL yep it is. . . ave had two helpings already grin am proper pigging out tongue
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by mukina2: 11:25pm On Aug 02, 2008
nor tell me ush o angry grin

maybe  me auntie go cook am soon . make ar begin ring am na hin yess sef grin

she must cook it soon grin

the pics are just fine
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by Viante(f): 11:26pm On Aug 02, 2008
AAh

MC i aint finding this funny o angry
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by mohawkchic(f): 11:30pm On Aug 02, 2008
~Aaah yah Soory ooh Viante . . . aah yah wait let me blow the aroma towards you . . you smell am grin
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by Viante(f): 11:31pm On Aug 02, 2008
LOL

angry angry angry angry
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by manmustwac(m): 11:47pm On Aug 02, 2008
jollof rice is a nigerian dish with its origins coming from the wollof people of senegal
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by mamag3: 1:03am On Aug 04, 2009
It should be called follof rice. grin
Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by prettycy(f): 2:39pm On Aug 05, 2009
wink :d kiss

Re: Meaning Of The "Jollof" In Jollof Rice? by Fhemmmy: 4:41pm On Aug 05, 2009
pretty cy:

wink :d kiss
I am sure that is gahana made

Good question.
maybe the first person to make it is called "jollof"

(1) (Reply)

WE ARE THE DISTRIBUTORS OF HERO BEER IN NIGERIA / How To Cook With Weed. / Who Is The King Of All Nigerian Soups? (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.