Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,551 members, 7,812,761 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:50 PM

CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches (12917 Views)

Dokpesi: Money I Received Was For Publicity And Media In Political Campaigns / Jonathan Campaigns In Rivers, As The People Troop Out En Mass / Buhari Campaigns In Anambra Today (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by FreeGlobe(f): 8:08pm On Nov 04, 2013
The South-East chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria has banned political campaigns in churches across the zone.

It said it took the decision to avoid a repeat of last Saturday church stampede in Anambra State, where about 28 persons reportedly died.

The South-East CAN also asked the Federal Government to set up a panel of inquiry to investigate the remote causes of the incident.

The organisation said it was wrong for Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State to set up such panel, “as the governor cannot be a judge in his own case.”

Chairman of the group, Bishop Emmanuel Chukwuma, made this known while speaking with journalists in Enugu, on Monday.

Chukwuma said CAN was becoming worried on why politicians should carry their campaigns to churches.

He sympathised with relatives of victims of the incident, while lamenting that political campaigns in churches had become a menace.

The cleric described the incident in Anambra as tragic, and vowed that CAN would sanction whatsoever church that violated the ban on political campaigns.

He said, “It is my own duty as CAN chairman, South-East zone, to ban all politicians from attending our churches with their political teams for campaigns. The church should also stay clear of partisan politics because there are different kinds of people in the church that belong to different political parties.

“So it’s wrong to come into the church and begin to talk about manifestos and begin to campaign. It is not going to be acceptable anymore because it causes commotion and disrespect to one another.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/can-bans-political-campaigns-in-churches/

4 Likes

Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by FreeGlobe(f): 8:17pm On Nov 04, 2013
Ngige has finally been exonerated, we now know the blood suckers. Peter obi thinks he can lie on a church issue and get away with it after bribing most Catholic bishops in the state. The die is cast! APGA, APC, PDP are all boko haram to igbos, we have to now continue with voting candidates

7 Likes

Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by Afam4eva(m): 8:22pm On Nov 04, 2013
FreeGlobe: Ngige has finally been exonerated, we now know the blood suckers. Peter obi thinks he can lie on a church issue and get away with it after bribing most Catholic bishops in the state. The die is cast! APGA, APC, PDP are all boko haram to igbos, we have to now continue with voting candidates
How do you know that Obi is lying thought. As much as i don't like Peter Obi very much, i think he should be given the benefit of the doubt. Judging from what people on ground said, he didn't cause the stampede. It was caused by a fire alarm raise by someone. As much as i'm miffed at the fact that someone will take a protest to the house of God, i don't think this issue should be politicized.
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by FreeGlobe(f): 8:34pm On Nov 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
How do you know that Obi is lying thought. As much as i don't like Peter Obi very much, i think he should be given the benefit of the doubt. Judging from what people on ground said, he didn't cause the stampede. It was caused by a fire alarm raise by someone. As much as i'm miffed at the fact that someone will take a protest to the house of God, i don't think this issue should be politicized.
but have you called anybody on ground to to know what happened apart from the so many planted media stories we have been reading that have confused people from knowing what really happened. I think I will believe CAN that implicated the governor who started the politicization of the issue by blaming it on Ngige and his supporters in his broadcast

4 Likes

Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 04, 2013
FreeGlobe: Ngige has finally been exonerated, we now know the blood suckers. Peter obi thinks he can lie on a church issue and get away with it after bribing most Catholic bishops in the state. The die is cast! APGA, APC, PDP are all boko haram to igbos, we have to now continue with voting candidates

Freeglobe please speak for yourself.who told you obi has been bribing catholic bishops? Obi never campaigned there BTW the catholic church is no longer in CAN and Bishop Chukwuma is only speaking for protestants who only make just about 30% of the state population.

APC will never rule Anambra state!! I don't care who wins once that party is not APC.All I am interested in is that APC will never smell the Anambra Govt house.
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by Dlionsheart: 8:48pm On Nov 04, 2013
Mumu people!!!!!!! Una wan join hausa dey kill una sef 4 notin
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 04, 2013
I just watched the survivors interviewed on their sick bed by the AIT and CHANNELS reporters on AIT 8pm newshour and they put the blame on Gov. Peter and his aides.

11 Likes

Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by FreeGlobe(f): 8:48pm On Nov 04, 2013
chukwudi44:

Freeglobe please speak for yourself.who told you obi has been bribing catholic bishops? Obi never campaigned there BTW the catholic church is no longer in CAN and Bishop Chukwuma is only speaking for protestants who only make just about 30% of the state population.

APC will never rule Anambra state!! I don't care who wins once that party is not APC.All I am interested in is that APC will never smell the Anambra Govt house.
I have always known you to be a Catholic extremist, how didn't obi campaign there when he went with the entire campaign team, wearing their custom clothes and making campaign promises. where did you get the obnoxious figures that protestants make up only 30% of the state population? from your anus I guess. Get ready for Nov 16, Get ready for Ngige.

3 Likes

Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by Abagworo(m): 8:49pm On Nov 04, 2013
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by FreeGlobe(f): 8:52pm On Nov 04, 2013
RIP to the deceased btw
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by Nobody: 10:14pm On Nov 04, 2013
That's Very Good!
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by paul288yahoo(m): 10:14pm On Nov 04, 2013
Hmmmm........hmm hmm .....hmmm...the dawn is near....hmmm
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by Olugbenger(m): 10:15pm On Nov 04, 2013
All candidates contesting should be banned from any form of campaign.
They don't need publicity to verify their popularity at all.
Btw, I must offer for sale this particular plot of land without any mod banning me.
angry angry angry angry angry angry
Feel free to make ur choice ; change of location too is accepted.

No refund for wasted plots.

angry angry angry angry

3 Likes

Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by nwaobitex: 10:16pm On Nov 04, 2013
gud
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by infoscope(m): 10:17pm On Nov 04, 2013
Hope CAN is aware that the Catholic church is no longer part of them...
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by Hackerjay(m): 10:19pm On Nov 04, 2013
Why church(house of God)...
Y nt club,concert,etc

Rip 2 the deceased...

die @church,nah heaven sure pass cheesy
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by nerodenero: 10:20pm On Nov 04, 2013
APC has been given undue advantage in the next election by APGA.APGA just shot themselves out of the race.I think Ngige is going to rule for the second time.
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by eminex(m): 10:20pm On Nov 04, 2013
Noted
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by easyz(m): 10:21pm On Nov 04, 2013
C
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by otijah(m): 10:22pm On Nov 04, 2013
Now that lives have been lost and damage done, they now remember to ban church campaign, judgement day is at hand shaa. And I knw all CAN members would be the first to enter hell.
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by oluwashaddow(m): 10:24pm On Nov 04, 2013
may d soul of d departed rest in peace n as for anambrians,u knw where shoe dey pain una,u knw wat u want n moreso we av d right to choose d type of leader we want wether rite or wrong,only u will enjoy it if u choose rite n only una go suffer am if u choose wrong

1 Like

Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by otijah(m): 10:27pm On Nov 04, 2013
Abiolacicero: I just watched the survivors interviewed on their sick bed by the AIT and CHANNELS reporters on AIT 8pm newshour and they put the blame on Gov. Peter and his aides.
even if I wacth or not, I can't stop hating Obi for underating the house of God
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by snika: 10:27pm On Nov 04, 2013
RIP to the dead.
Atleast now Ngige can stop running helter skelter, from church to church, parish to parish, every sunday.
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by Abagworo(m): 10:28pm On Nov 04, 2013
Abiolacicero: I just watched the survivors interviewed on their sick bed by the AIT and CHANNELS reporters on AIT 8pm newshour and they put the blame on Gov. Peter and his aides.

Since they blame Obi, what do you think will be the outcome?
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by Adeoba10(m): 10:32pm On Nov 04, 2013
Criminal Association of Nigeria... R.I.P 2 d dead

1 Like

Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by ifenadi(m): 10:33pm On Nov 04, 2013
chukwudi44:

You lied when you said that you are not interested in who wins as far as APC didn't win . We all know that the race is between APGA and APC. So if you don't want APC to win you clearly want APGA to win.
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by gratieao: 10:34pm On Nov 04, 2013
Waiting be CAN?
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by ACM10: 10:38pm On Nov 04, 2013
I don't know why Peter Obi attended that crusade in the first place. That man is biting more than he can chew.
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by gratieao: 10:38pm On Nov 04, 2013
11 days to go. How are you going to commit suicide?
I wouldn't mind to donate Otapiapia
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by iamteaser: 10:40pm On Nov 04, 2013
Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by ayobase(m): 10:41pm On Nov 04, 2013
So CAN wouldn't have banned Political Campaigns in churches IF stampede that claimed lives never occurred!

Hmmmm, Maybe Jesus Christ would have waited for a sort of "stampede" before driving them out of the temple.

A sort of news that makes the unbelievers question our faith!

There is differnce between 'campaign' and 'notification'

2 Likes

Re: CAN Bans Political Campaigns In Churches by Brimmie(m): 10:46pm On Nov 04, 2013
This is gon be inter-wrestling.. grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Guess What Tribe The Zenith Manager Kneeling And Begging Fayose Is From? / Goodluck Jonathan: Political Office, Public Fund Reveal Person's True Character / Lagos4Lagos Movement To Be Officially Welcomed Into The PDP Tomorrow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.