Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,314 members, 7,954,256 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:31 PM

Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) (13828 Views)

--- / Qatar, Kuwait, UAE (Dubai) Visa Application information Needed. / Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by WAVixen: 11:04pm On Jul 11, 2008
Hello People,

Can anyone give useful information on being a travel agent/consultant in Nigeria.What are the qualifications required? Which institution can be recommended to acquire the skill of the trade. Is being a travel agent recognised and what are the pros and cons being one?
Thanks for the anticipated response.

1 Like

Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by sfdaram(f): 8:22pm On Jul 12, 2008
@ WAvixen,

basically there 4 types of travel agents , it depends on the type you want to become;

1. Accredited agent with stock - as an accredited agent with stock, it means you are IATA certified, & register with CAC. you have & can issue airline ticket (stock) to air passangers on behalf of airline from your office.

2.Accredited agent without stock- it means you are IATA certifified & register with CAC. you do not have ticket in your office but you have what is called validator that enables you to sell LPO to some agents. this category depends on No.1 above & airline to get tickect for passenger

3. Agent by registration- it means you are operating as a travel agent by registering your agency with Corperate Affair Commission(CAC) only , u can only make reservation to passenger while u go to No.1 above to buy ticket or you buy LPO from No.2 take d LPO 2 air line 2 buy d ticket & your commission will be given.

4. freelance agent- as d name implies these agents don't know much about d job but whenever they have passenger travelling they take d job to No.1, 2 or 3 to be done.

note that , to be IATA certified u need bank guarantee of N10 million if not , you can settle for no. 3 option above where u will register your agency, pay some due to national association of nigeria travel agents NANTA & nigeria civil aviation authority NCAA.

less i forget, you we need to go to aviation school at least a month & learn how to make reservation, check & calculate fares, airline geograhpy, ticketing etc. or u employ capable hands

To be IATA certified (professional exam), you can write the exam that comes up twice in a year march & september . presently $550 & $30 bank charges.

hope have been able to answer you question.
taxs

sola

7 Likes

Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by sfdaram(f): 8:31pm On Jul 12, 2008
@WAvixen

point of correction pls,

there is different between been IATA accredited & IATA certified.

To be IATA certified, u need to write IATA professional Exam.
To be IATA accredited, you need minimum of N10Million Bank Guarantee.

But you can still practice as travel agent here in nigeria with or without the two criteria above.

sola.

3 Likes

Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by WAVixen: 10:18pm On Jul 14, 2008
Thank you so much Sola, are you a travel agent? What are the pros and ons of this would be career or one who is interested? Your input is highly anticipated.
Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by senolistic: 1:59pm On Jul 15, 2008
Good day fellow nairalanders

Please can anyone enlighten me about aviation schools in lagos, i heard there's one in charity bus stop or thereabout but am not too sure, one that is IATA accredited or certified.
Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by sfdaram(f): 4:07pm On Jul 16, 2008
@WAVixen

yes am a travel. i tell you travel industry is an interesting industry to pick up career. it has is own challenge too like every other job. another truth about the job is that is all about contact, service & integrity. dont be dubious then sky is stepin stone. i dont know your level right now maybe starting a big company or small but any how u can start by just a system with internet 24/7. the first challenge u will have as a starter is platform where you will be makin reservation as agent but it can also be sorted out. so just go head & start something.

@senolistic

there is one aviation school (Anis international school of aviation) at 5, akinosi street, oshodi , landover at ikeja, there is one in surulere but i only know much about ANIS u can go there to find out other information. also, these schools are local aviation school but you can take international or professional exam through them.

sola.

1 Like

Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by senolistic: 9:57am On Jul 17, 2008
thanks Sola,
  Am very far from lagos at the moment since u knw much about the ANIS school, can u give any detailled information you've got. Anything like the courses offered, the school fees etc. And if possible please post me the websites of any of these schools, if they've got any. Am so grateful, thanks a lot.

1 Like

Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by sfdaram(f): 7:59pm On Jul 17, 2008
@ senolistic

since you are not around to go to the school in person then you can call Mr Rotimi Olaleye on 01-7351034,he is the Director of the school. i just loss my phone where i have his GSM number but try the above number is also one of his numbers. he normally call me madam Solape in case he ask how u get his number. good luck. sola
Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by WAVixen: 9:43pm On Jul 17, 2008
Thanks sfdaram, your information has been valuable.There is an avation school off Adeniyi Jones at Ikeja, called Planet Aviaton school. Are they accredited?
Does the credibility of these aviation schools have a role to play in job placements,industrial attachments etc.Does being accredited make any difference in the toursim/avation sector.These questions are pertinet due to the proliferation of mushroom schools.
Thanks for your responses.
Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by marjson(m): 10:40am On Jul 23, 2008
sfdaram your contribution is really appreciated.pls can you mail me your email address to mastermarjson@yahoo.com cos i will love to contact you to know how to go about it via email.Cos i am really interested in been an entrepreneur in that field and ready to take up the challenge.

Thanks so much
Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by sfdaram(f): 3:36pm On Jul 23, 2008
@ wavixen,

there is no way i will know all school that are accredited except u go there to find out.

besides, the school you go does not really matter ,what you learn from the school is what matter most in the industry, employer in the industry believe more in a practical & what you have upstair i.e how good are you if you r place on a system to work. go to the worst mushroom school if practically you can dust the fellow that has gone to one known aviation school, i tell you the job is your. even as an IT stundent, if you are good, solid travel agents do demand 4 them.

if you as a person is certified then you have an edge over others that are nt becos u have gone further to obtain a proffessional certificate.

@marjson

taxs
sola
Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by WAVixen: 8:15am On Jul 25, 2008
Well said!
Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by dammy1985: 11:15pm On Jun 18, 2010
I learnt that with an internet connection someone can start as a freelance in the travel agency.
Please I want to know the step by step approach and how to get contact.
Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by blairbrook(f): 7:28pm On Sep 14, 2010
pls i would like to register my travel agency and i wud like u 2 tell me steps needed 2 do this.I have certificate in airfare and ticketing from landover aviation business school and av also done gds in both sabre and galileo. I dont av the money yet to take IATA diploma but intend practicing from school.pls i nd sm1 with experience in the travel Industry 2 help,thanks in anticipation

1 Like

Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by easy03(m): 6:47am On Nov 28, 2010
Please my fellow nairalanders, i just read your contributions & i must confess that you guys are a blessing to many pple.
But i have a very big and urgent problem, please who knows about aero Travels acadamy(aero travels)?, is it recognise atleast in Nigeria? Is it certificate honoured in Nigeria?. Please i want to know this before i make up my mind either to enroll in it or not.
Thank you.
Reply please.

2 Likes

Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by samoyin(m): 9:56am On Nov 30, 2010
@senolistic
Goodmorning fellow Nairalanders, Schools I know that could give you a good training in preparation of Travel Consultancy career are among other FRONTIER AVIATION TRAINING SCHOOL on Glover Road,Ikoyi by Goldengate restaurant and LANDOVER AVIATION on Simbiat Abiola way, Ikeja, they prepare you for your carrier which involves various IATA certification stages.

Another thing you must aim to be very good with practical use of GDS,as a matter of fact I will advise that you take a Amadeus training first, then attend others, Sabre, Galileo etc, please I would advise any intending agent not to leave out AMADEUS training as this is a widely accepted and highly user friendly.

Also I would advise that for every operation you intend to partake in the Travel agency business, make sure you are registered with CAC, and get the consultant that will take you from IATA accreditation process, NANTA membership, NCAA. This gives you some form of credibility.

NB:PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND ANY AVIATION SCHOOL WHERE YOU ARE NOT TAKEN THROUGH PRACTICAL TRAINING ON INTERNET ENABLED COMPUTER, WHICH IS THE MAIN WORK TOOL.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by WAVixen: 11:51am On Dec 01, 2010
samoyin:

@senolistic
Goodmorning fellow Nairalanders, Schools I know that could give you a good training in preparation of Travel Consultancy career are among other FRONTIER AVIATION TRAINING SCHOOL on Glover Road,Ikoyi by Goldengate restaurant and LANDOVER AVIATION on Simbiat Abiola way, Ikeja, they prepare you for your carrier which involves various IATA certification stages.

Another thing you must aim to be very good with practical use of GDS,as a matter of fact I will advise that you take a Amadeus training first, then attend others, Sabre, Galileo etc, please I would advise any intending agent not to leave out AMADEUS training as this is a widely accepted and highly user friendly.

Also I would advise that for every operation you intend to partake in the Travel agency business, make sure you are registered with CAC, and get the consultant that will take you from IATA accreditation process, NANTA membership, NCAA. This gives you some form of credibility.

are you a travel agent? if yes, where do you work?

NB:PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND ANY AVIATION SCHOOL WHERE YOU ARE NOT TAKEN THROUGH PRACTICAL TRAINING ON INTERNET ENABLED COMPUTER, WHICH IS THE MAIN WORK TOOL.

Cheers! 

a
Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by Angeljay(f): 1:27am On Aug 13, 2013
Well said, but from experience getting a job in the aviation/ travel industry is not about going to aviation school. Just like someone said earlier its all about your determination. All you may need is to register for IATA certification online, read on your own and take their exams and you are there. My fello landers, if you know you are sharp please don't waste your money going to these school, they can be really boring. You can take as many IATA certifications as you desire, but with the intent of building your knowledge in the industry. Travel and Tourism from IATA/UFTAA, comes with GDS demo, which you can practice and get yourself acquianted. This has really helped the growth of my travel agency. Just like someone said, I started with just a laptop (it is truly lucrative if you know what you are doing?). In short, to be a successful travel agent, you must love the travel industry and update yourself, by yourself. You can even go beg a Travel agency for mentoring (without pay). Wish you all best!

2 Likes

Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by thinksmartalway: 4:25pm On Aug 13, 2013
Anyone please!!...i am proposing on setting up my own small travel agency.Is it COMPULSORY i register with CAC?...can`t i just register with NANTA for the time being till my business grows?
Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by FIR: 4:46pm On Jul 10, 2014
you can also get an ebook that will teach you everything about
how to become a travel agent and visa consultant, click the link
below or send me a message to get further details
Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by ITL: 8:49am On Jul 13, 2014
success
Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by Ayodelemerit(m): 5:12pm On Jun 03, 2016
[b][/b][quote author=sfdaram post=2514730]@WAVixen

yes am a travel. i tell you travel industry is an interesting industry to pick up career. it has is own challenge too like every other job. another truth about the job is that is all about contact, service & integrity. dont be dubious then sky is stepin stone. i dont know your level right now maybe starting a big company or small but any how u can start by just a system with internet 24/7. the first challenge u will have as a starter is platform where you will be makin reservation as agent but it can also be sorted out. so just go head & start something.

@senolistic

there is one aviation school (Anis international school of aviation) at 5, akinosi street, oshodi , landover at ikeja, there is one in surulere but i only know much about ANIS u can go there to find out other information. also, these schools are local aviation school but you can take international or professional exam through them.

sola. [pls can you mail on ayodeleabudu@gmail.com I'm very interested in travel agent business]
Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by mezeadichie: 1:17pm On Jul 25, 2019
9 AMAZING BEACH RESORTS YOU SHOULD VISIT IN LAGOS ON YOUR NEXT VACATION

Vacations are precious and are great opportunities to treat yourself and family to the beautiful sceneries across the globe. Holidays allow you to sneak away from the hectic lifestyle you experience daily. You know the famous saying that all work and no play make Jack a dull boy.

Life is for living, and today, you don’t need to go far to experience an awesome vacation either personally or with your family. Lagos is one great city to have so much fun. The city has all the beautiful places you can imagine; five-star hotels, beach resorts and what have you. The beach resorts in Lagos are known to be among the best beach resorts in the entire world. These beach resorts in Lagos give you memories you’d carry close to your heart or even in your photo album forever.

If you’re planning a getaway or a vacation with friends and family to experience the hidden thrills of life, then you need to visit Lagos. In this piece, we’ve compiled marvelous beach resorts in Lagos you should try out on your next vacation. So, take a seat and let’s get on this rollercoaster ride that would spin out the best beach resorts you should visit in Lagos. In no particular order, we give you;

To read more visit here. https://blog.travelbeta.com/9-amazing-beach-resorts-you-should-visit-in-lagos-on-your-next-vacation/
Re: Travel Agent/consultant.(information Needed) by Ikadej: 8:24pm On Feb 16, 2020
Please what is the name of the e-book I can read

(1) (Reply)

Man Survives Electrocution Days After Car Accident In Imo State. Photos / BA Does Not Accept Credit Card Payment From Nigerians? Another Racist Attitude? / Students Coming To The Netherlands-things You Should Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.