Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,216 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:51 PM

Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. (18070 Views)

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by goldenwing: 2:19pm On Jul 20, 2011
Greetings Everyone. I am about to go study in Germany and will like to know if anybody has a different idea about the amount requested in a blocked account to apply for the residence card. The German Authorities request for 7,908 EUR in a blocked account, which means only a certain amount can be withdrawn in a month. Unlike other European countries where you can just deposit the amount in your bank account, print out the statement and withdraw immediately. Please I will really appreciate contributions from Nigerian students in Germany, Nigerians living in Germany and other valuable contributions from people who have an experience on this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in anticipation.
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by olaoluwa13: 6:32pm On Jul 20, 2011
Hello pls can u giv me info abt any university that taught with english,bachelor degree program
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by goldenwing: 7:20pm On Jul 20, 2011
There are many universities that you can check. Rhine Waal University, University of Bremen, HTW Berlin. However, most of their admissions closed on July 15 but you are welcome to search them and contact the university's international office directly. They always answer enquiries.
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by olaoluwa13: 1:25pm On Jul 21, 2011
Thanks, i dont know if they required entrance exams like TOFEL,SAT,GMAT?
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by shawonlese: 2:01pm On Jul 21, 2011
@ poster,

Yes you must have that amount in your account, opened in a German bank in your name.
Unlike UK, the German authorities are smarter. According to the rules, a student cannot withdraw more than 300 Euros from his/her account every month. So, if you think after getting the visa you can clear the account immediately, you are a joker.
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by goldenwing: 9:21pm On Jul 21, 2011
@Shawonlese, thanks for your contribution. The amount you can actually withdraw from the research I made is around 600 EUR a month. However, that is not the case as depositing 7, 000 EUR in an account in one lump sum is kinda huge. I actually do not need a visa to enter the Republic of Germany as I already study in a schengen country and have a valid resident card. The main issue now is the fact that I need to apply for the German residence card as soon as I get there as I can only stay in Germany for 3 months without a visa. Now, the suggestions/recommendations I would like to know is how Nigerian students in Germany manage this blocked account hurdle when they apply for a resident card there in Germany or when they renew expiring ones.

1 Like

Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by goldenwing: 9:25pm On Jul 21, 2011
@Olaoluwa, many European Universities give language test waivers to Nigerians as we already studied the language all our lives. However, some still insist on a test. Your best bet will be to contact the international/admission offices of these universities directly and they will gladly tell you their requirements.
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by Nobody: 8:30am On Jul 22, 2011
@goldenwing,thanks for bringing up this thread.I would be very grateful to anyone who can give an insight as to scaling the hurdle of the blocked account.
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by claremont(m): 9:28am On Jul 22, 2011
olaabiodun:

@goldenwing,thanks for bringing up this thread.I would be very grateful to anyone who can give an insight as to scaling the hurdle of the blocked account.
What hurdle is there to scale? The rule states that you must have a blocked account opened either in Germany or with any Deustche Bank branches worldwide, and this account will only remit a specific sum to the student monthly. How is that difficult for a genuine student with genuine funds to achieve?!
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by goldenwing: 10:49am On Jul 22, 2011
claremont:

What hurdle is there to scale? The rule states that you must have a blocked account opened either in Germany or with any Deustche Bank branches worldwide, and this account will only remit a specific sum to the student monthly. How is that difficult for a genuine student with genuine funds to achieve?!

Why it is difficult for a genuine student is because there are hardworking middle class Nigerian families who can sacrifice everything to give their wards the best of education as a lasting legacy. They also did not steal millions of public funds to be able to throw huge sums around without feeling the pinch thereby resorting to proper planning and strategy. Even students studying in Nigeria get stipends from their parents/guardians on monthly basis. So try to understand not everybody is a son of Aliko Dangote or daughter of Mike Adenuga but that does not prevent a person from aspiring genuinely for greatness.

4 Likes

Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by claremont(m): 11:15am On Jul 22, 2011
goldenwing:

Why it is difficult for a genuine student is because there are hardworking middle class Nigerian families who can sacrifice everything to give their wards the best of education as a lasting legacy. They also did not steal millions of public funds to be able to throw huge sums around without feeling the pinch thereby resorting to proper planning and strategy. Even students studying in Nigeria get stipends from their parents/guardians on monthly basis. So try to understand not everybody is a son of Aliko Dangote or daughter of Mike Adenuga but that does not prevent a person from aspiring genuinely for greatness.
Unfortunately, Germany is not like the UK or USA where prospective students can borrow funds from friends and relatives just to "show" in order to get the student visa. Germany has much more tougher rules on student maintenance fees, but then, tuition is free there anyway so what you would otherwise have paid for tuition is what they will want you to use to maintain yourself over there. That is a much more fairer process than the UK or USA where you not only pay for tuition, but you also have to maintain yourself as well. Anyone who is looking for a country that allows "showing" of funds should try UK, USA, or Canada not Germany; this is a clear cut student visa policy, it has nothing to do with upper, middle or lower class family background.
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by dustydee: 11:23am On Jul 22, 2011
I think the policy is fair enough. It's like they are asking you to forfeit the money.
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by goldenwing: 11:43am On Jul 22, 2011
claremont:

Unfortunately, Germany is not like the UK or USA where prospective students can borrow funds from friends and relatives just to "show" in order to get the student visa. Germany has much more tougher rules on student maintenance fees, but then, tuition is free there anyway so what you would otherwise have paid for tuition is what they will want you to use to maintain yourself over there. That is a much more fairer process than the UK or USA where you not only pay for tuition, but you also have to maintain yourself as well. Anyone who is looking for a country that allows "showing" of funds should try UK, USA, or Canada not Germany; this is a clear cut student visa policy, it has nothing to do with upper, middle or lower class family background.

@Claremont, thanks for your time and contribution. I understand perfectly and really we can't argue that they do not have a point as it is in the interest of their country and also realistic. I can go there without a visa for 3 months as I already study in a Schengen country and still have a valid resident card. Just renewing the residence card there is what brought me to this forum knowing the only aspect that could pose a bit of a challenge is the blocked account issue. I saw on the website of their ministry of foreign affairs that funds from assets/accounts of sponsors like parents/relatives can be taken into consideration, likewise a declaration from a person living in Germany that he/she would take care of the students expenses or also a proof of scholarship. However, we know some of these authorities sometimes amend their rules against Nigerians so I thought it will be nice to get a view from someone studying or living in Germany.
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by deesad2002: 12:28pm On Jul 22, 2011
go to Facebook, Join the Association of Nigerian students in Germany and you should get someone to advise you
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by goldenwing: 12:42pm On Jul 22, 2011
@deesad2002, thanks for your suggestion. I will try that.
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by JagaJaga1: 10:23pm On Jul 22, 2011
@goldenwig What country did you school in and what course and degree did you obtain there. What course and degree are you going for in Germany, just curious. Just want to let you know that the same rules are being practised in Norway. The only difference is the monthly withdrawal limit. I am going to Norway for an MSc degree and i could come to Germany for my PhD.
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by goldenwing: 10:56pm On Jul 22, 2011
@Jaga Jaga, I am studying in Poland and yet to complete my studies here only want to transfer to Germany. I will be going to continue my international business management degree in Germany that is why I posted this thread. When are you going to Norway? I wish you all the best, I know it is a very nice country. I am watching footage of twin terrorist attacks online there right now and I must tell you it is very shocking.
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by JagaJaga1: 11:07pm On Jul 22, 2011
@goldenwig Which school are you studying in and are you a MSc student. I also got admission to Poland (Uni Wroclaw) but i preferred Norway. I heard from Nlanders that Polish embassy hardly issue study permits since the last two years so i'll like to know the year you travelled to Poland.
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by goldenwing: 1:29am On Jul 23, 2011
@Jaga Jaga, I advice you to just focus strictly on Norway and ask for God's guidance and good luck. It is by far better than Poland, why do you think I am requesting for info to move to Germany? I heard about the Polish embassy issues too but I did not come here from Naija, I started my studies already in another country before then but did not want to stay for certain reasons. Hope you don't mind, not just comfortable explaining life story on a public forum.
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by sategie(m): 8:30am On Aug 10, 2011
I am currently planning to open a blocked account in Germany, The money is very huge i must say, But i'm hopeful it will turn out fine.
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by omonjerry: 12:24pm On Aug 17, 2011
Broda i need info about Poland embassy i just got admission,i need interview question
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by abiatonye(f): 10:44pm On Aug 22, 2011
@ Goldenwing,
i just went through ur posts here in nl, i m about going for my second masters in poland
clark university, pls i will like to chart with you to ask u some crucial question, if u dont mind thanks for your anticipated co operation
my email is karisobomac at yahoo dot com pls add me to your messenger list thanks

1 Like

Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by abiatonye(f): 10:46pm On Aug 22, 2011
@ Goldenwing,
i just went through ur posts here in nl, i m about going for my second masters in poland
clark university, pls i will like to chart with you to ask u some crucial question, if u dont mind thanks for your anticipated co operation
my email is karisobomac at yahoo dot com pls add me to your messenger list thanks
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by omonjerry: 10:50pm On Aug 22, 2011
u got ur first degree in poland?
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by hollandis(f): 1:45pm On Aug 24, 2011
goldenwing:

@Jaga Jaga, I am studying in Poland and yet to complete my studies here only want to transfer to Germany. I will be going to continue my international business management degree in Germany that is why I posted this thread. When are you going to Norway? I wish you all the best, I know it is a very nice country. I am watching footage of twin terrorist attacks online there right now and I must tell you it is very shocking.
isnt there an option of using a declaration of sponsorship from someone living in Germany
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by Nobody: 3:58pm On Nov 28, 2011
NLs ,pls can I certify my documents in German embassy here Lagos? Or where and how do I go about Ȋ̝̊̅†. Any body with previous or similar issue?
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by greyBERRY: 3:08pm On Feb 20, 2012
Please Forumites, I am about to apply for an Msc In Germany this year, but first I would like to know if anyone have an idea of the likely source of sustenance in Germany and how to make small change tongue tongue

I would likely leave my job in a Federal Government Parastatal to go there and my primary motive is economic, so I would like to know if it is worth the risk. undecided undecided

Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by yemmyma: 10:32am On Feb 21, 2012
@greyBERRY

What do you want to study in Germany? I live in Europe though.

I do not live in Germany, but i would assume that from my gatherings, it is not a bad place to live. Maybe the only hurdle you will get is the language barrier for certain types of jobs. but if you are able to do whatever there to live, i am sure you can find something.

But remember, students are only allowed to work 90days full time in a year or 180 days part time. So basically what you earn won't be much as a student.

I hope that last statement especially helps
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by fili24: 3:43pm On Feb 24, 2012
@ Goldenwing
Germany is a nice country to live and study, but if u don't have a strong financial backing pls don't go.
cost of living is high in Germany compare to some other European countries. my brother is presently studying in
Leipzig, He pays 300 euro for a single room per month.
You've to show 1 yr living cost and housing fee in a blocked account, which you cannot withdraw.
They automatically debit your account when you're studying in Germany for the 1st yr.
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by yemmyma: 12:23pm On Feb 25, 2012
fili24:

@ Goldenwing
Germany is a nice country to live and study, but if u don't have a strong financial backing pls don't go.
cost of living is high in Germany compare to some other European countries. my brother is presently studying in
Leipzig, He pays 300 euro for a single room per month.
You've to show 1 yr living cost and housing fee in a blocked account, which you cannot withdraw.
They automatically debit your account when you're studying in Germany for the 1st yr.

you don't say if your brother works to pay bills or not. No country in good europe is cheap
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by fili24: 12:37pm On Feb 25, 2012
@ yemmy_ma

He's not working at the moment, you've to be fluent in German language for you to get a good job.
so he's still learning the language.
Re: Information Needed From Nigerian Students & Nigerians Living In Germany. by fili24: 12:42pm On Feb 25, 2012
@ Olaabiodun

U cannot scale the hurdle, its the rule of the German embassy
you've to deposit 1 yr living and housing fee in a blocked German account.

(1) (2)

Planning To Relocate To Turkey / Nigerian Students In Spain..how Do You Survive ??? / Dirtiest City In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.