Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,728 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

18 Things You Are Wasting Money On. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 18 Things You Are Wasting Money On. (1275 Views)

My Wife Spends Money On Her Parents And Sibling Without My Consent / Must Read: 18 Things Children Can Teach Us About Happiness. / Inlaws Spending (wasting) Money On Lavish Vacations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

18 Things You Are Wasting Money On. by rodeo0070(m): 4:37pm On Nov 05, 2013
There are most likely a good amount of items in your budget that you can probably cut out completely, or at least lower your spending on. There are some instances where you may not always be “wasting” your money, but in the cases below, you should try to evaluate your spending. A lot of these little things can add up quickly.

Here is a list of things that you may be wasting money on:

Bottled water

Bottled water can be expensive. If you want filtered water, buy a water filtering system and fill-up a re-usable bottle on your own. You are helping the environment this way as well, since you won’t be using so many plastic bottles.

Famous brand products

When was the last time that you bought something primarily because of the brand? Many people do this. Try to look for items that are similar, but without the brand name logo on it.

Jewelry

Yes, jewelry can be nice to have at times, but should you be spending your life savings on it? Probably not.

Shoes that you do not need

Shoes are important, but are a pair of several thousand Naira sneakers a “need?” Buy shoes that help you run, walk, hike, look good, etc., but a crazy expensive pair is most likely just a waste of money.

Second-rate entertainment

Second-rate entertainment can be a big money waster. Try to find things to do that are more frugal and fun. Go for a hike, a bike ride, and so on.

Transportation

Do you find yourself driving to where you need to go, when you could easily walk or take Okada? Think about this next time before you get in your car. Also, think about living closer to work so that you can save on transportation costs that way as well.

Movie theater food

Buying food at the movie theater can be very expensive. Boxes of candy, drinks around, and popcorn somewhere between that. Save money and skip the food.

ATM fees

ATM fees can add up quickly. My bank charges onto whatever the ATM charges me. At times, that means that I have paid over just to get money out or transfer. Instead, try to figure out a different way to not pay an ATM fee.

Lottery tickets

Yes, it is nice to think about what you would do if you won all of that money, but the chance of you winning is very slim. Save that money instead. Baba Ijebu Things grin grin grin grin

Prepared foods

When at the grocery store, there are always many food items that are already prepared for you. However, try to cook yourself or make things from scratch. You can save money this way.

Insurance

Insurance is expensive, no matter what you are talking about. Car insurance, health insurance, home insurance, life insurance, etc. most likely eat up a lot of your budget. Shop around and find the best rates.

Buying books

Reading a book can be a great hobby that is cheap, but it could be cheaper. Borrow books from your library to completely cut out this expense.
Too large of a home

How much of your house do you actually use? If your house is too big, then you probably have extra rooms that are empty, or you might buy furniture just for the sake of filling those rooms. A bigger house costs more to maintain, and utility bills are most likely higher since you have more space to heat or cool down.

Warranties

Sometimes a warranty may be a good deal, but most of the time they are not. They are usually pure money-makers for the company offering them. If you think the item will break, then you might want to rethink the purchase altogether.

Food that you don’t eat

If you are not careful with what you buy, then there is a large chance that you are wasting a lot of fun. The average family wastes around 25% of the food that they buy.

Smoking

Smoking is not good for you. Try to find a way to break this unhealthy habit. You are saving your life and your money.

Water

Water can be expensive, and there are things that you can do to lower your water spending. Look into buying more efficient home products, such as a better toilet, faucet, shower head, dish washer and so on.

Cell phone

Cell/Mobile phones are expensive. Evaluate your needs and see if there is a cheaper contract out there.

What are you wasting your money on?

Are you managing your money well?

CULLED FROM (Edited): http://www.lifehack.org/articles/money/20-things-you-are-wasting-money.html?utm_source=Lifehack&utm_campaign=bbb68674e2-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_983e966a3e-bbb68674e2-414734457
Re: 18 Things You Are Wasting Money On. by Ngenge(m): 4:50pm On Nov 05, 2013
Means I get an 'A' grade by ur list. Involved in ATM fees only. Very frugal and shrewd like Wenger
Re: 18 Things You Are Wasting Money On. by deriod(m): 4:51pm On Nov 05, 2013
@ topic,wasting money is not the right words to use,ways to reduce cost might be the right thing to write.
Re: 18 Things You Are Wasting Money On. by rodeo0070(m): 5:06pm On Nov 05, 2013
deriod: @ topic,wasting money is not the right words to use,ways to reduce cost might be the right thing to write.
NOTED!!!
Re: 18 Things You Are Wasting Money On. by RINE1: 5:34pm On Nov 05, 2013
PATRIOTIC & TRUE LEADER Where
ar Alhaji Tafawa Balewa.Sir
Nnamdi Azikwe ,Chief Obafemi
Awolowo ,Gen .Murtala
Muhammad e.t.c The patriotic nd
true leaders who genuinely
fought for independence for this
our dear father land only used
Peugeot 404, 405 and 505 as
official cars. These cars were not
automatic, never BULLET PROOF
and the purchasing prices of the
said Peugeot cars were never
inflated . Now in the era of
leaders who were probably in
Primary school as the that time
now used our hard earned taxes
to buy cars they can't be in two
at same time. They build
mansions in every nooks and
crannies of the world yet they
can't sleep in 2 rooms at same
time. They must never foget that
the same death that will take
away the poor will also take away
the rich. Millions of Nigerian ar
jobless nd roamin d street
hopelessly .Nigerian Universities
have been on strike for
approximately four months now,
but our leaders have pretended
as if everything is fine. God is
watching our leaders in HD Smart
TV in heaven. Olorun lo ma da ejo
afi eyin pin eran to ni eran o kan
ohun lenu. (God will judge the
person who shares meat with
his/her teeth and yet claiming his
mouth did touch d meat).
Whatever we do,we shall be
judged accordingly .
Re: 18 Things You Are Wasting Money On. by Fhemmmy: 5:38pm On Nov 05, 2013
I was expecting a thread that will teach me how to save money on what i am "wasting" money on but what other choice do i have regarding insurance, cell phones and other necessities
Re: 18 Things You Are Wasting Money On. by Kanwulia: 10:43pm On Nov 05, 2013
All of the above EXCEPT SMOKING! kiss
I ain't taking the money with me when I die, so ammo spend if any which way I damn well please! I AIN'T OWING NO BARRY! kiss
Re: 18 Things You Are Wasting Money On. by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 06, 2013
Kanwulia: All of the above EXCEPT SMOKING! kiss
I ain't taking the money with me when I die, so ammo spend if any which way I damn well please! I AIN'T OWING NO BARRY! kiss
exactly.same here.i worked for it,so i can spend it anyhow i like,nobody helped me to earn it so if i spoil myself,no (BARRY like mgbeketoto will say) will arrest me for it,thank you

(1) (Reply)

42 Exceptional Ways To 'kill' Your Husband / When A 10 Year Old Calls Her Mum silly / He Is Without Legs So He Drew Legs For Himself - So Touching

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.