Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,887 members, 7,817,613 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? - Family (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? (37171 Views)

How Is Divorce Obtained Under Islamic Law / Save My Marriage Today - Is Divorce Your Way Out? / Is Divorce The Answer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Nov 14, 2013
I bRoke up with my ex for that reason
Does it answer your question?

It starts with a slap.
Never more than a slap.

Then it progresses.

I don't even advise men to put up with violent women(who have considerable lesser strength) how much more a woman putting up with a violent man. Who can snuff out her life in a fit of rage.

Say no to violence!
pickabeau1: actually im interested in this debate

Say your intended who you know is a gentle guy etc bla bla bla slaps you once , what will you do

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by pickabeau1: 12:40pm On Nov 14, 2013
Thanks

Two more question, what if you were married, what will be your reaction

What will you advise your brother if his wife slapped him

Thanks once again

lorretta u: I bRoke up with my ex for that reason
Does it answer your question?

It starts with a slap.
Never more than a slap.

Then it progresses.

I don't even advise men to put up with violent women(who have considerable lesser strength) how much more a woman putting up with a violent man. Who can snuff out her life in a fit of rage.

Say no to violence!
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by RoyalRoy(m): 1:06pm On Nov 14, 2013
Nice questions Pickabeau
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Nov 14, 2013
If my brothers wife slaps him,
Haha. Anyway I'm not the husband,but she has to go home (my opinion) of course I won't force him to send her home
But today it could be a hot slap and tomorrow she could empty a pot of hot water on him in anger.
Say no to violence!.
pickabeau1: Thanks

Thanks once again

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Nov 14, 2013
Oh and me?
Hard as it may sound, if it has gotten to receiving hot slaps from my husband, it's the way out I'll be looking for.
I won't wait until he's beating me blue and balck before I go.
I'll try my best of course never to do what warrants that.
So when it comes(if it comes) it will mean one thing
No more love
What will I be doing in a loveless marriage?
pickabeau1: Thanks

Thanks once again

Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by pickabeau1: 9:28pm On Nov 14, 2013
lorretta u: If my brothers wife slaps him,
Haha. Anyway I'm not the husband,but she has to go home (my opinion) of course I won't force him to send her home
But today it could be a hot slap and tomorrow she could empty a pot of hot water on him in anger.
Say no to violence!.

Violence has no gender,,, I like the fact you accept that women can alsobe violent... a lot of females here dont seem to want to admit that

lorretta u: Oh and me?
Hard as it may sound, if it has gotten to receiving hot slaps from my husband, it's the way out I'll be looking for.
I won't wait until he's beating me blue and balck before I go.
I'll try my best of course never to do what warrants that.
So when it comes(if it comes) it will mean one thing
No more love
What will I be doing in a loveless marriage?

Ok... I do not condone spousal abuse especially of the physical variety
This I endorse

Wat if it was just ONE SLAP...n u know he is not the violent type
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Nov 14, 2013
pickabeau1:

Ok... I do not condone spousal abuse especially of the physical variety
This I endorse

Wat if it was just ONE SLAP...n u know he is not the violent type
I know you want me to say that I'll give him a second chance.

smiley I do endorse the second chance theory when a person errs. But for situations like abuse violence and infidelty tend to get worse as one gives more chances.
A second chance I can give hoping that it won't be the last chance at happiness that I'm giving up
But after that second chance,I won't give anymore chances smiley
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by pickabeau1: 7:50am On Nov 15, 2013
lorretta u: I know you want me to say that I'll give him a second chance.

smiley I do endorse the second chance theory when a person errs. But for situations like abuse violence and infidelty tend to get worse as one gives more chances.
A second chance I can give hoping that it won't be the last chance at happiness that I'm giving up
But after that second chance,I won't give anymore chances smiley

Now why would i wanna go and do that grin

Its your call, your life too

I just wanted to point out some inherent contradiction in some of the female poster's POVs which advocated loving in the case when the woman slapped the man once an dievorce when the man slapped the woman

#Just sayin'
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by Nobody: 9:21am On Nov 15, 2013
Ok anyway, I get where they might be coming from. As most women aren't as strong as men,one might consider that getting slapped by a woman wouldn't be a very painful experience.hence may not count as abuse

But personally, I can't slap a fellwo woman, how can I try it with a man?
How much more my husband. I'm trying to paint a picture of what that scene could look like,and I can't imagine it. Makes me think that any lady who can without fear of repercussion slap her husband, had The home going waitiing for her
Someone might say "what if he cheats on you?"
Well I know a slap won't help issues at that moment and the lady might just be giving him excuses to beat her up.

If he does something you can bear as a lady, something you can't live happily with, you know what to do wink
Refer to topic!
pickabeau1:

Now why would i wanna go and do that grin

Its your call, your life too

I just wanted to point out some inherent contradiction in some of the female poster's POVs which advocated loving in the case when the woman slapped the man once an dievorce when the man slapped the woman

#Just sayin'
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by pickabeau1: 1:05pm On Nov 15, 2013
Nice points...

Violence has no gender

lorretta u: Ok anyway, I get where they might be coming from. As most women aren't as strong as men,one might consider that getting slapped by a woman wouldn't be a very painful experience.hence may not count as abuse

But personally, I can't slap a fellwo woman, how can I try it with a man?
How much more my husband. I'm trying to paint a picture of what that scene could look like,and I can't imagine it. Makes me think that any lady who can without fear of repercussion slap her husband, had The home going waitiing for her
Someone might say "what if he cheats on you?"
Well I know a slap won't help issues at that moment and the lady might just be giving him excuses to beat her up.

If he does something you can bear as a lady, something you can't live happily with, you know what to do wink
Refer to topic!
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by idris4r83(m): 10:46pm On Nov 21, 2013
Nadia_SA1: Sad sha!!

embarassed
nadia why did u deactivate ur former account?
Re: Why Is Divorce Not An Option For Most Nigerian Women? by samsard(m): 11:05pm On Dec 16, 2013
danbabe: If the laws in Nigeria are "re -drafted" to ensure that a woman who has been married for a minimum of 5 years, gets at least half of her husband's assets, in the event of a divorce, trust me more of half of the existing marriages we know will come to an end.

Most Nigerian women are left high and dry with kids to cater for when they get divorced. This is because the law does not protect them the way women in England and America (for example) are protected. This is one of the main reasons you see our women tolerating all sorts of intolerable behaviour from their husbands.
"at least half"?
Well, thank goodness we are Nigerians and not the English or Americans.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Nonuplets: 27-year-old Halima Cisse Returns To Mali (photos) / I will deny my husband sex until he pays his debt — wife / The Finger Nails Pregnant Woman Got For Her Baby Shower...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.