Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,685 members, 7,816,793 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... (9938 Views)

15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter / Is Using Mnemonics In Exams A Malpractice? / How Good Is Your English Vocabulary? Double Dare Nlders To Get 10/10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 9:57pm On Nov 08, 2013
don_salvy:
rice grin
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 10:01pm On Nov 08, 2013
Tosdam: JODEKESS i dey feel u ooooooooooooooo, keep the fire burning. We audience are here to back u up.
aaaaaah friend mi, I c u o o o o, me just dey try ni sha...
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 10:08pm On Nov 08, 2013
PocketEconomist: Did i get it?
you were not rice. Try and check da previous posts.
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 10:18pm On Nov 08, 2013
The world health organization estimates that more than 4 million people ______ each year.
a. dead
b. dies
c. dying
d. die.
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 10:35pm On Nov 08, 2013
[size=17]THESE ARE THE LIST OF THE PUNCTION MARKS WE HAVE (REALLY) ALBEIT, THOSE OYINBO PEOPLE HAD CREATED NEW MORE 8 PUNCTUATION MARKS...

Full Stop/Period- Comma- Semi-colon- Hyphen- Dash- Apostrophe- Question Mark- Exclamation Mark- Slash- Backslash- Quotation Marks- Underline- Underscore- Round Brackets- Square Brackets- Ellipsis- Punctuation Song...[/size]
[b]Punctuation
Punctuation is the system of symbols (. , ! - : etc) that we use to separate sentences and parts of sentences, and to make their meaning clear. Each symbol is called a "punctuation mark".
The Value of Punctuation.
Punctuation Mark Name. Example:
full stop or period- I like English.

comma: I speak English, French and Thai.

semi-colon: I don't often go swimming; I prefer to play tennis.

colon: you have two choices: finish the work today or lose the contract.

hyphen: This is a rather out-of-date book.

dash: In each town—London, Paris and Rome—we stayed in youth hostels.

question mark: Where is that dirty guy called Tosedam?

exclamation mark
exclamation point (AmE): "Help!" she cried. "I'm drowning!"

slash, forward slash or oblique: Please press your browser's Refresh/Reload button.

backslashC:\Users\Files\jse.doc

double quotation marks:
"I love you," she said.

single quotation marks: 'I love you,' she said.

apostrophe: This is John's car.

underline: Have you read War and Peace?

underscore: Jodekss_gloatkenf@igloo.mobi

round brackets: I went to Bangkok (my favourite city) and stayed there for two weeks.

square brackets: The newspaper reported that the hostages [most of them French] had been released.

ellipsis mark: One happy customer wrote: "This is the best program...that I have ever seen."

Although there are general rules for English punctuation, there are differences of style between, for example, British and American English, some publishers and some writers. Anyone seeking guidance at an advanced level is recommended to consult a style guide (often included in good dictionaries) for their particular variety of English or editorial style.
†[/b]

Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 2:59am On Nov 09, 2013
[size=17]centre and middle...[/size]
CENTRE.

Don't say: Can you find the middle of a table?
Say: Can you find the CENTRE of a table?

MIDDLE.
Don't say: He was in the centre of the street.
Say: He was in the MIDDLE of the street.

'CENTRE' is a definite point, while 'middle' is the indefinite space around or near the 'Centre.'

[size=17]Shade and Shadow.[/size]

SHADE.
Don't say: That large tree makes a nice shadow.
Say: That large tree makes a nice shade.

SHADOW.
DON'T SAY: The dog saw his shade in the water.
SAY: The dog saw his shadow in the water.

'shade' is a place sheltered from the sun; 'shadow' is a shade of a distinct form, os of a tree, a man, a dog, etc.

[size=17]CUSTOMER AND CLIENT.[/size]

Customer:

Don't say: That grocer has plenty of clients.
Say: That grocer has plenty of customers.

CLIENT.

Don't say: That lawyer has plenty of customers.
Say: That lawyer has plenty of clients.

A PERSON CAN BE A CUSTOMER AT A SHOP, BUT A CLIENT OF A LAWYER, A BANK,... GOOD NIG†H.
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Cathaliya: 8:42am On Nov 09, 2013
Guten Morgan,

Jode, can you add Languages to this lecture thread? I really love to learn that; that's if it's ok with you....
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by bolagabriella: 9:23am On Nov 09, 2013
Jodekss: Which of the following sentences is incorrect; and why?
(a) If you need any extra help then just call me.
(b) If you need any extra help, just call me.
B

1 Like

Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by bolagabriella: 9:25am On Nov 09, 2013
Jodekss: The world health organization estimates that more than 4 million people ______ each year.
a. dead
b. dies
c. dying
d. die.
Me scared to ansa bt I'll try
D

1 Like

Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by bolagabriella: 9:44am On Nov 09, 2013
Elliotwiz1: car
A-car
We board bus,train and aeroplane and we ride bicycles
Am I correct?
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Coefficient(m): 9:50am On Nov 09, 2013
bolagabriella:
B

A is incorrect. No comma.

Btw, you didn't reply my e-mail.

1 Like

Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by bolagabriella: 9:51am On Nov 09, 2013
Jodekss: [size=17]SEUN: Do you know who 'JODEKSS' is??
YEMISI: No, I've _______ him.
a. never heard from
b. never heard about
c. never heard of[/size]
Am confused between b and c but I'll go for c
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by bolagabriella: 9:57am On Nov 09, 2013
Jodekss: 1._______ of them was good enough to use.
a. Not all
b. None
c. Not most
d. Most.

2.. Can you ______ the guitar?
a. Play
b. Plays
c. Playing
d. Played.

3.Sam promised _______ the bill by the end of the month.
a. Paying
b. Paid
c. Pays
d. Pay
e. To pay.

1)B
2)A
3)E
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by bolagabriella: 10:01am On Nov 09, 2013
Jodekss: [size=17]1. Choose the best option to fill in the blank.
Q. Are you devotee ........ Guru Maraji?
1.of
2.on
3.to
4.in.

2. Fill in the blank with suitable option.
................. is bad.
1.Smoke
2.Smoking
3.To smoke
4.2+3

3. Had I been a rich man, I____a car.
1. Bought
2. Would buy
3. Would have bought
4. Could have bought
5. 3+4

4. Get the error then write the missing word.
Q. A English book has purchased.[/size]

1)1
2)2
3)3
4)An english book was purchased

1 Like

Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by bolagabriella: 10:11am On Nov 09, 2013
Jodekss: [size=17]panache
|pəˈna sh; -ˈnä sh |
noun
1. flamboyant confidence of style or manner : he entertained Palm Springs society with great panache.
2 historical a tuft or plume of feathers, esp. as a headdress or on a helmet.

The model paraded in front of the celebrities with (i)____ ; it was impossible to tell that this was her (ii)____.
Blank (i)
A. trepidation
B. consternation
C. panache
Blank (ii)
D. first assignment
E. normal gait
F. real persona...[/size]
C and D

1 Like

Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by bolagabriella: 10:14am On Nov 09, 2013
Jodekss: Only for genius.
Instruction :- Get the error then write down in the comment box.
Q. He was compelled to leave the company because his manager did not rely (upon) him too much.
I know the answer but you said "only for GENIUS" and since I'm not one,I can't answer

1 Like

Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by bolagabriella: 10:17am On Nov 09, 2013
Jodekss: Only for genius.
Fill in the blank.
Q. He did not say anything in the meeting because he was ........... and all matters ..... not clear to him.
1.confusing,was
2.confuse,were
3.confused,was
4.confused,were
5.confusing,were
I know the answer but you said "only for GENIUS" and since I'm not one,I can't answer
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by bolagabriella: 10:19am On Nov 09, 2013
Jodekss: antonyms :
1. ESCHEW
A. prepossess
B. sear
C. taunt
D. jettison
E. embrace

2. GRATE
A. ravel
B. pacify
C. shear
D. traffic
E. pummel

3. Choose the best option to fill in the blank.
Where is key ...... my car ?
1.of
2.on
3.at
4.to

4. He talked as though he____everything.
1. Knows
2. Were
3. Knew
4. Had known

5. Finish this sentence: I'd like to be remembered for...
3)4
4)1
5)Good

1 Like

Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 11:08am On Nov 09, 2013
bolagabriella:
A-car
We board bus,train and aeroplane and we ride bicycles
Am I correct?
I think we 'get on' a plane too and yes, we do 'board' a car, cab, bus.
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 11:11am On Nov 09, 2013
Coefficient:

A is incorrect. No comma.

Btw, you didn't reply my e-mail.
oh, you sent me an email? I go go check am and reply, e don tey wey I don check my mail box.
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 11:13am On Nov 09, 2013
bolagabriella:
Am confused between b and c but I'll go for c
c
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 11:22am On Nov 09, 2013
bolagabriella:
lol grin ALL HUMAN BEINGS ARE GENIUS NA... We are all genius Walahi, as long as we all have navels...
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 11:25am On Nov 09, 2013
bolagabriella:
3)4
4)1
5)Good
but eschew is just da opposite of embrace.
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 11:26am On Nov 09, 2013
Cathaliya: Guten Morgan,

Jode, can you add Languages to this lecture thread? I really love to learn that; that's if it's ok with you....
aaaah languages?
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 11:56am On Nov 09, 2013
[size=17]Choose the best option to fill in the blank .
Q. I ....... tired while walking.
1.become
2.became
3.got
4.had.[/size]
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Cathaliya: 2:15pm On Nov 09, 2013
Jodekss: aaaah languages?
I know...thats too much to ask.

1 Like

Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by ANDREW2EIC(m): 2:49pm On Nov 09, 2013
Cathaliya: Mister, does 'a' go before a word like 'ubiquitous'..?

last I checked 'a' goes with a consonant sha

correct me if I am wrong

In as much as ubiquitous is not the correct answer to the question, ur explanation is totally flawed.

Ubiquitous goes with 'a' because it is pronounced as ju:bikwites. I replaced 'ou' with 'e' because my phone does not have the correct vowel sound to represent 'ou', though the 'e' makes sense.

There are other examples that follow this pattern. That is why we call a person from Europe 'a European' instead of 'an European'. U understand?

1 Like

Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 4:18pm On Nov 09, 2013
Which is the most usual way of ordering the following adjectives?
My sister has got _____________ hair.
(a) black, long, curly
(b) long, black, curly
(c) curly, long, black
(d) black, curly, long
(e) curly, black, long.

Which of the following is a correct agreement?
First speaker: I really love my job!
Second speaker: _____________.
(a) So do I.
(b) So am I.
(c) Nor do I.
(d) I do either.
(e) Neither I do.
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Nobody: 5:21pm On Nov 09, 2013
Jodekss: Which is the most usual way of ordering the following adjectives?
(a) black, long, curly
(b) long, black, curly
(c) curly, long, black
(d) black, curly, long
(e) curly, black, long.

(a) So do I.
(b) So am I.
(c) Nor do I.
(d) I do either.
(e) Neither I do.
A, A
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by ANDREW2EIC(m): 6:13pm On Nov 09, 2013
(a) black, long, curly
(b) long, black, curly
(c) curly, long, black
(d) black, curly, long
(e) curly, black, long.

(a) So do I.
(b) So am I.
(c) Nor do I.
(d) I do either.
(e) Neither I do.

E, A.
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 6:50pm On Nov 09, 2013
(a) black, long, curly
(b) long, black, curly
(c) curly, long, black
(d) black, curly, long
(e) curly, black, long.

(a) So do I.
(b) So am I.
(c) Nor do I.
(d) I do either.
(e) Neither I do.
[size=17]THE ANSWER TO DA FIRXT QUESTION'S 'B' WHY? Okay, in English language and its infinite laws, there's a logic of detecting the right answer swiftly to such optional question. The code/logic is this: SISHACOMAPA. SI= SIZE e.g big, long, tall, shot, fat etc, SHA= SHAPE e.g Rectangular, triangular etc, CO= COLOUR e.g blue etc, MA= MATERIALS e.g lether etc and PA= PARTICIPLES e.g words ending in -en or - ed.

Now, if you analyse it orderly according to the SISHACOMAPA, you'd arrive at be. Now let's go there grin , SI= LONG. SHA= Nil. CO= BLACK. MATERIAL= Nil. PA= Nil.
With that, you'd detected da answer all ready. The full code of doing this is using DOENH...

You got da 2nd quextion rice... [/size]
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 6:53pm On Nov 09, 2013
Today's Phrase: 'get on your nerves'
If someone gets on your nerves, they annoy you.
Examples:
I really hope Darren doesn't come to the Christmas party – he really gets on my nerves.
Let's go to a different cafe today - this one is full of children in the school holidays, and they really get on my nerves!
Can you cite an example using this phrase? Give it a try!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Unad Latest Info. Utme Result And Admission Status / Noun 2012/2013 Application Form / Maths Guru Please Help Me Solve This Simultaneous Equations For My Young(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.