Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,659 members, 7,820,313 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Please Help! My Auto Transmission Is Giving Me Problem - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Please Help! My Auto Transmission Is Giving Me Problem (1121 Views)

Mitsubushi Space Wagon(Three seater) Auto Transmission For 300K for urgent sale / clean registered Golf 3 American Specs Lagos Cleared Auto Transmission / Converting Manual Transmission To Auto Transmission Is It Adviceable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help! My Auto Transmission Is Giving Me Problem by Imeobong(m): 9:10pm On Jul 12, 2008
Please can someone help me diagnose this problem? (I have a Hyundai Sonata 1994/95 Model. Bought in Cotonou last year November.By December, on my way to Port Harcourt, the radiator fan stopped and the top cylinder gasket got burnt. Sometimes in January I noticed that oil was gushing out from where the oil gauge stick is, I took it to a mechanic and I was told that as a result of the overheat that occurred the previous month my piston and rings had melted. The piston,rings and metals where changed. After about two months the car started smoking, and I was advised to change the engine. The car is Using a Mitsubishi Sigma V6 3.0 liter engine. Now the engine is perfect, no more overheat.)

As I said before, I have a problem that has remain unsolved since I bought this car: I noticed barely a month after purchase that sometime if I start the car and put it on drive (D) It will respond as if it wants to move, but will not until I shift the gear to L. It will then move and as I am driving I will push it back to D. At first this use to happened once in a while. Hence my reason of buying the new Engine complete with gear.

But recently this problem have persit that now I can't move the car when it's park with D, except L and during this period the gear will not select, it will be driving with only the same gear I use to move. I had gone to two gear mechanic and I was advised to change my gear in which I did, but still the problem continue with the new gear. The funniest thing now is that each time it happens and I go to the mechanic, on the way it will start selecting. Sometimes when I parked and ask the mechanic to come and check the vehicle it will move with D and select normal. Since Monday it has been OK and selecting well, and I wanted to travel today, after buying things for my journey, and about to travel, the problem started.

Please who know what might be wrong with the car? I need help please. You can also reach me on my email: imeiquoho@yahoo.com or call: 08037221729 Thanks
Re: Please Help! My Auto Transmission Is Giving Me Problem by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jul 12, 2008
The problem is simply bad transmition system. I really pitty your situation. I have honda accord that has exactly the same problem. Your best bet is to replace the transmition system completely. Please don't buy used transmition. Try a new one and your car shall be back in good condition. You should not have removed the gear at all.
Re: Please Help! My Auto Transmission Is Giving Me Problem by fotodaddy: 6:36am On Jul 13, 2008
In addition to mechanical problems, you night also have electrical issues. The automatics generally are controlled by an ECU (brain-box) If you were here in Lagos I would have suggested some garages where you could have a full diagnostic check done instead of trial and error. But the bottom line is there could be so any things that could be wrong, and without diagnostics, its like you are shooting in the dark.
Re: Please Help! My Auto Transmission Is Giving Me Problem by Imeobong(m): 7:11am On Jul 13, 2008
Fotodaddy, Please can you give me your phone number, I might have to bring the car to Lagos
Re: Please Help! My Auto Transmission Is Giving Me Problem by igbonla(m): 8:28am On Jul 13, 2008
Boy, you've got some liver! Why spend so much and go through some much troubles with this car? 1994/95 Sonata? I think you need peace of mind not a juju you will be worshipping everyday.

Sell the car and go buy peace of mind.

All the best.
Re: Please Help! My Auto Transmission Is Giving Me Problem by fotodaddy: 8:40am On Jul 13, 2008
igbonla:

Boy, you've got some liver! Why spend so much and go through some much troubles with this car? 1994/95 Sonata? I think you need peace of mind not a juju you will be worshipping everyday.

Sell the car and go buy peace of mind.

All the best.

Ol boy wake up. Everybody cannot be like you. wink wink

Some people like what others call wahala. Others have sentimental attachment to cars that make them do funny things. I have a friend who had a sigma, and went about trying to solve this kind of gearbox problem. It took him 3 years but in the end he car was perfect. At a point the car was jacked up for close to 18 months. He even imported the ECU for the gearbox from germany. Spent so much only to sell the car in the end. I use to yab him that he should plan to be buried in the car when he is old and dies. grin grin grin

@Poster,
I will get you the numbers of the garages I mentioned to you. I think they do the diagnosis for 5K but then it doesnt mean that they can fix the car. And in some cases, based on their work load, your car might be in line. You'll get the nos on wednesday when I get back to the office (by His grace)

(1) (Reply)

2005 Nissan Pathfinder For Sale (low mileage)and @3.65m / Toyota Corolla For 300k / Camry And End Of Discussion For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.