Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,856 members, 7,820,983 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others (7839 Views)

BIAFRA: MOTION in UK parliament Calling for conduct of Referendum / Lower Niger Congress Proposes 2017 As Year Of Referendum / Delta Youths Perfect Plans To Protest In Favour Of Referendum& Us Military Base (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by DerideGull(m): 6:24pm On Nov 07, 2013
CyberG:

Why would sovereign countries or regions need a federal government to create a state within your enclave?? By all means, create a state per human being or 100, it should be nobody's problem! Oh, why I would want the West to form an independent country with 100% control of its destiny and people who can come into our country, it might be asking for the impossible since all the thieving elites will make it impossible by shutting it down in order to continue milking the country dry but regions would be an easier compromise middle ground with all the privileges of such arrangement! I would prefer that and very much like the current Nigerian arrangement of states to be abolished!

I get little jolted when human beings try to play God. Nigerians have the knack to postulate what will happen in future especially when talking about corrupted politicians. Nigeria of 1967 to present, Gowon, northern regional politicians and civil war are the reasons corruption runs amok in Nigeria. Disintegration of Nigeria will surely usher new era and political direction for new nation states.

2 Likes

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Bigflamie(m): 7:04pm On Nov 07, 2013
DerideGull:

I get little jolted when human beings try to play God. Nigerians have the knack to postulate what will happen in future especially when talking about corrupted politicians. Nigeria of 1967 to present, Gowon, northern regional politicians and civil war are the reasons corruption runs amok in Nigeria. Disintegration of Nigeria will surely usher new era and political direction for new nation states.
1million likes
And there's no way this conference won't lead to disintegration.
You guys should see the words written boldly on the wall.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by wirinet(m): 7:06pm On Nov 07, 2013
DerideGull:

You make amazing claims that borders on utopia or dreamland. How can you make the spurious claim that the northern regional politicians and the civi war are responsible for the corruption in Nigeria? are you saying that the easterner and western politicians are not corrupt or were not corrupt before the civil war? What exactly was the reason Nzeogwu planned and executed the first coup in Nigeria? was it not because be believed corruption had run amok? Please grab some education on the events leading to the civil war, if you were not born then or ask people who survived it.

Please explain how disintegration of Nigeria would help solve corruption problems, would disintegration stop the chairman of a local government chairman or other politicians in the proposed Biafra country from stealing? Would disintegration magically stop the chairman of Onitsha market from embezelling contributed funds? In that case any country with corruption issues should just disintegrate the country into multiple parts, and voila! corruption will magically disappear. The hearts of politicians will immiediately be controlled by the disintegration spirit. Disintegration appart from politicians will clean the hearts of pastors, imams, traditional rulers and all citizens.

4 Likes

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 07, 2013
wirinet:

You make amazing claims that borders on utopia or dreamland. How can you make the spurious claim that the northern regional politicians and the civi war are responsible for the corruption in Nigeria? are you saying that the easterner and western politicians are not corrupt or were not corrupt before the civil war? What exactly was the reason Nzeogwu planned and executed the first coup in Nigeria? was it not because be believed corruption had run amok? Please grab some education on the events leading to the civil war, if you were not born then or ask people who survived it.

Please explain how disintegration of Nigeria would help solve corruption problems, would disintegration stop the chairman of a local government chairman or other politicians in the proposed Biafra country from stealing? Would disintegration magically stop the chairman of Onitsha market from embezelling contributed funds? In that case any country with corruption issues should just disintegrate the country into multiple parts, and voila! corruption will magically disappear. The hearts of politicians will immiediately be controlled by the disintegration spirit. Disintegration appart from politicians will clean the hearts of pastors, imams, traditional rulers and all citizens.

Guy ur head too correct. I am always enjoying ur analysis on nairaland.
Dont mind my brothers from accross the Niger. They always like to think other people are the cause of their problems. They refuse to look inwards and tackle their own people who are contributing to their backwardness. They are yet to show any evidence that their great Biafra will be any better than Somalia considering what is going on there now. And they wonder why we Aniomas and other Nigerians do not take them seriously. SMH
A land that has so much human capital and potential but keeps screaming "we will be better if...." cannot be taken seriously by any man.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by MrAboki: 7:56pm On Nov 07, 2013
Its funny how the people who will represent us all a this conference are the same people who have been looting our National coffers since forever.. grin

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by DerideGull(m): 8:24pm On Nov 07, 2013
wirinet:

Let me say that you have issues with comprehension. Did you read about “Nigeria of 1967 to present” from the post? Do you actually know the denotation of word-corruption? It was not a politician from eastern region that saw patronage and nepotism through Nigeria’s roof especially in the military intake for Officer’s cadet. There was no eastern politician that repeatedly called for the extermination or publicly requested fellow Nigerians to vacate his/her region because they hailed from another region different from the politician. There was a Tiv riot of 1964 in which certain politicians from the northern region encouraged certain elements in the region to kill, ra.pe and destroy properties of the people who have decided to not support NPC. It was not a politician from the eastern region that incited certain hoodlums to create chaos in western region.

There are certain actions few people would love to take in Nigeria but such actions will be immediately construed as tribal cleansing. However, if Ndigbo decide to clean house in Igbo land, there shall be no tribal twist to it. I remembered what happened in Owerri when the people felt tired and sick of the certain behaviors exhibited by certain peeps among them and just decided enough was a enough.

Nigeria is no-man’s land if I could use such term because nobody in Onicha or Owerri would want to kill a local government chairman who embezzled few thousands when the same local government chairman from Ilesha or Abeokuta who downed millions is treated to a silly juju rock music by a delusional musician.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Sant1m: 9:05pm On Nov 07, 2013
[quote author=DerideGull]

I guess the group meant that representation on the conference shall be based on equal number of representatives from each zone. However, one of the topics at the conference shall also focus on achieving equal number of states for each zone.
Good talk, the conference in my view must aim to dismantle the current federal and state structure for a system where states should colapse into regions and province. With this in place the enormous amount spent on running govt. Will be drastically reduced, since the new tiers of govt, will be ( 1) national govt, saddled with defence, justice and external affairs (2) regional govt saddled with police, agriculture, education, housing etc (3) province, the south west for instace will ve 6 province ( former states), this will reduce cost of governance as the only level that will ve a legislative body are the weak national govt and the regional govt, ie sw instead of six state house of assembly will ve one. Also state of origin should be abolished in favour of province of residence, if truely equity is brought to play the presidency will become less attractive, healthy competition will develop among regions and the good people of nigeria will be the sole beneficiaries
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by ptochukwu24: 9:08pm On Nov 07, 2013
To me I agree with those that want National referendum because it will give the true picture of our individual stand whether regional, tribal or language but one thing that is clear is that we must decide on how our the country will be runned I kept saying one thing to my friends; that this National conference will make or mar us, depending on how sincere or not we all take it because we are in a period of knowledge, a time where you don't tell one what to do rather after careful research, analysis and criticises one can take a stand. By 2014 Britain and Scotland will sit together to decide if they'll remain together or not, these are countries that have been together for the past three hundred years yet they want to tell themselves the truth without a single bullet. I don't believe in no-go-area as suggested by Senate President David Mark, shall we continue to hide in lies that we are one, yet some groups will kill fellow citizens and go free or a case where some groups feel they are superior than others, or a situation where because a President came from a particular region, he'll not be allowed to work where as; others have ruled without problem. How long must this continue? Let us look ourselves eye ball to eye ball and decide the way forward, whichever way as long as it is agreed by all, Let's follow, I rest my case thank you. Please least I forget did the chairman of the draft committee meet the with the YOUTHS? They must not be ignored ooooo
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by snowytee(m): 9:41pm On Nov 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
How is that equality. Were the regions created with eye for equality or were they created to give a certain region an advantage over others? The conference should be based on ethnicity which is natural as against regions and every ethnic group no matter how big or little should have the same number of delegates.
This is what I've been saying all along.Every ethnic group should be allowed d same number of delegates,say 3 each.That way,they'll be equality and every tribe will be represented.If delegates are based on regions,some tribes will not be represented.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Nobody: 10:30pm On Nov 07, 2013
snowytee: This is what I've been saying all along.Every ethnic group should be allowed d same number of delegates,say 3 each.That way,they'll be equality and every tribe will be represented.If delegates are based on regions,some tribes will not be represented.
Nominating delegates based on ethnic groups will not be feasible to say the least.There are over 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria,some ethnic groups may not have capable hands to represent them.Moreso there are a lot of ethnic groups that are undocumented,if we try to nominate based on ethnic groups all in a bid to get a wider representation,we will still end up short changing some undocumented groups.My submission is that the most feasible and realistic way to nominate the delegates is by region not ethnic groups.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by snowytee(m): 10:47pm On Nov 07, 2013
Ntom: Nominating delegates based on ethnic groups will not be feasible to say the least.There are over 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria,some ethnic groups may not have capable hands to represent them.Moreso there are a lot of ethnic groups that are undocumented,if we try to nominate based on ethnic groups all in a bid to get a wider representation,we will still end up short changing some undocumented groups.My submission is that the most feasible and realistic way to nominate the delegates is by region not ethnic groups.
But sir,don't u think if we nominate by region,some regions will shortchange other regions?Example,the east is predominantly igbo,the west is predominantly yoruba,but the south south is relatively more mixed,if u get what I mean
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by IGBOSON1: 11:08pm On Nov 07, 2013
PhenomenonVFX:

Dont mind my brothers from accross the Niger. They always like to think other people are the cause of their problems. They refuse to look inwards and tackle their own people who are contributing to their backwardness. They are yet to show any evidence that their great Biafra will be any better than Somalia considering what is going on there now. And they wonder why we Aniomas and other Nigerians do not take them seriously. SMH
A land that has so much human capital and potential but keeps screaming "we will be better if...." cannot be taken seriously by any man.

^^^Interesting contribution to the thread that you just made! smiley

You say your 'brothers' across the Niger are backward? Pray, who are you comparing us with? I suppose your argument is that Ndigbo in the South East are 'backward' in comparison to other ethnicities/regions abi?

Ndigbo (as with other groups) have issues and problems that they recognize and are dealing with, but do you not agree that the 'Nigerian factor' -with all that it entails- has exacerbated formerly manageable problems.....and in some cases created new ones entirely? When you hear an Igbo discussing how the 'Nigerian project' has affected him and his people either positively or negatively, it doesn't mean he is laying the blame for all his problems at the doormouth of Nigeria.

If you've read threads on politics, developmental and social issues in the South East, you'd realise that you just made an ignorant post, and have been brainwashed by......and been listening a bit to much to Igbo-haters that could easily have made a contribution no different to the post you've just made!

You come off as one having an air of superiority over 'your brothers across the Niger'......and one who sees himself as being better and different from Ndigbo in general! It's either you're Igbo or you're not.......no half measures! There's no law that says Alaigbo must stop at the boundaries of the River Niger!

2 Likes

Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Onlytruth(m): 11:16pm On Nov 07, 2013
I would have liked the conference to be based on ethnicity, but it would be unfair to some ethnic groups (particularly minute ones).
What I would advise Ndigbo to do is to use Ohanaeze Ndigbo to formulate a common Igbo position to be defended by Igbo in the conference from SE and SS. Igbo make up a sizable percentage of SS so they can't be pushed over by anybody there.
There should be ONE Igbo position.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by DerideGull(m): 11:34pm On Nov 07, 2013
igbeke: By Henry Umoru

ABUJA— AHEAD of the convocation of the proposed national conference by President Goodluck Jonathan, prominent leaders of the three zones in the southern part of the country under the aegis of Southern Nigeria Peoples Assembly, SNPA, yesterday, said that decisions of the conference must be subjected to a national referendum, just as it gave a time frame of nine months for the conference to be concluded.

According to leaders of the assembly, delegates to the conference must not be more than 600, with each geo-political zone of the country producing 100 delegates each.

They added that representation should be on the basis of equality of the geo-political zones — North-West, North-East, North-Central, South-West, South-East and South-South.

Rising from a two-day meeting held at the Cross River Hall of Transcorp Hilton Hotel, the leaders from South-South, South-West and South-East geo-political zones, however, warned that the outcome of decisions from the dialogue must not be subjected to a review or debate by both the National Assembly and the executive.

In a communique signed by former Vice President, Dr Alex Ekwueme, former Federal Commissioner for Information and Ijaw leader, Chief Edwin Clark, and retired Anglican Bishop of Akure Diocese, who is also the current Coordinating Chairman, SNPA, Rev. Emmanuel Bolanle Gbonigi, SNPA said: “The decisions of the conference shall be subjected to a national referendum and shall not be subjected to a review or debate by the National Assembly or any other body including the executives.

“Upon approval by the people of Nigeria, the outcome becomes the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

According to SNPA, the entire process should end June 30, 2014. It said processing and work of conference, December 1, 2013 to April 30, 2014; preparation of a draft constitution May 1 to 31, 2014; and the referendum on new constitution will be from June 1 to 30, 2014.

Roll call

South-South representatives at the meeting were Professor Oserheimen Osunbor, Senator Bassey Henshaw, Air Vice Marshal Idongesit Nkanga (rtd), Alabo Graham Douglas, Dr. Bolere-Ketebu, Dr. Cairo Ojougboh, Nella Ewa and Ambassador Lawrence.

From the South-East were Dr. Alex Ekwueme, Dr. Chukwuemeka Ezeife, Senator Chris Ukpabio, Dr. Okwesilieze Nwodo, Senator Sylvanus Ngele, Dr. Walter Ofonagoro, Professor Ihechukwu Madubuike, Dr. Ifedi Okewnna, and Chief Edozie Ezeugwa.

South-West was represented by Bishop Emmanuel Bolanle Gbonigi, Senator Tony Adefu-ye, Emmanuel Adelano, Chief Dipo Jimilehin, Senator Kofo Bucknor-Akerele, Professor Ope Adekunle, Archbishop Ayo Ladigbolu, Prof. Oladapo Afolabi and Moshood Salvador.

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/11/confab-outcome-must-subject-referendum-ekwueme/

One of the things I resolutely resented in the above article is the composition of people representing the so-called south-south on the Roll-call of the aegis of Southern Nigeria Peoples Assembly, SNPA. Where are the Igbo people of the so-called south-south on the group that has Professor Oserheimen Osunbor, Senator Bassey Henshaw, Air Vice Marshal Idongesit Nkanga (rtd), Alabo Graham Douglas, Dr. Bolere-Ketebu, Dr. Cairo Ojougboh, Nella Ewa and Ambassador Lawrence on it.

As far as I am concerned, the group that represented the so-called south-south on the aegis of Southern Nigeria Peoples Assembly, SNPA, is unacceptable to me. We must get it right from the first step.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by DerideGull(m): 11:40pm On Nov 07, 2013
PhenomenonVFX:

Mr. Aniomas, was there any anioma in the group from the so-called south-south at the conference organized by the so-called aegis of Southern Nigeria Peoples Assembly, SNPA? It has started again!!
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Onlytruth(m): 11:40pm On Nov 07, 2013
DerideGull:

One of the things I resolutely resented in the above article is the composition of people representing the so-called south-south on the Roll-call of the aegis of Southern Nigeria Peoples Assembly, SNPA. Where are the Igbo people of the so-called south-south [/b]on the group that has Professor Oserheimen Osunbor, Senator Bassey Henshaw, Air Vice Marshal Idongesit Nkanga (rtd), Alabo Graham Douglas, Dr. Bolere-Ketebu, Dr. Cairo Ojougboh, Nella Ewa and Ambassador Lawrence on it.

[b]As far as I am concerned, the group that represented the so-called south-south on the aegis of Southern Nigeria Peoples Assembly, SNPA, is unacceptable me. We must get right from the first step.

Solid points bolded.
However, unless the position of SE and SS are different, only then would it become a problem.

The group might have decided to adopt -"wholesale" - Ohanaeze recommendation which was submitted before; in that case it shouldn't be a problem for us.

Nwanne, anya ka eji agu azu di na ofe onu! cheesy cool
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by DerideGull(m): 11:47pm On Nov 07, 2013
Onlytruth:

Solid points bolded.
However, unless the position of SE and SS are different, only then would it become a problem.

The group might have decided to adopt -"wholesale" - Ohanaeze recommendation which was submitted before; in that case it shouldn't be a problem for us.

Nwanne, anya ka eji agu azu di na ofe onu! cheesy cool

Nwannem oma, Ohanaeze recommendation or not, Igbo person should be adequately represented in the so-called south-south axis. This is how it starts and few onlookers or neighbors, especially the loudmouthed ones, will construe such absence as legitimate case of illegitimacy.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Onlytruth(m): 12:01am On Nov 08, 2013
DerideGull:

Nwannem oma, Ohanaeze recommendation or not, Igbo person should be adequately represented in the so-called south-south axis. This is how it starts and few onlookers or neighbors, especially the loudmouthed ones, will construe such absence as legitimate case of illegitimacy.

I totally agree!
But WHERE ARE THEY? Could they have ceded their representation to others? If so, whose fault is that?
We need to watch the dance very closely to decipher what is happening.
But your bolded points remain unassailable.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by miqos02(m): 2:23am On Nov 08, 2013
the big question is " how will representatives to the conference be selected/elected
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by o42austino(m): 8:04am On Nov 08, 2013
Afam4eva:
How is that equality. Were the regions created with eye for equality or were they created to give a certain region an advantage over others? The conference should be based on ethnicity which is natural as against regions and every ethnic group no matter how big or little should have the same number of delegates.
I dont knw y reading is hard for u? they said such decision shld be on equality which means that no matter ur population, ur on the same level with all the zones.
which also means that no region will be higher than the other in decision making Mbok.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by o42austino(m): 8:09am On Nov 08, 2013
wirinet:

Good point my broda u just said it all.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Newcrescent(m): 8:24am On Nov 08, 2013
South-West was represented by Bishop Emmanuel Bolanle Gbonigi, Senator Tony Adefu-ye, Emmanuel Adelano, Chief Dipo Jimilehin, Senator Kofo Bucknor-Akerele, Professor Ope Adekunle, Archbishop Ayo Ladigbolu, Prof. Oladapo Afolabi and Moshood Salvador.

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/11/confab-outcome-must-subject-referendum-ekwueme/[/quote]

Most of the South-west and South-East Representatives are in PDP. It should cut across board irrespective of party affiliation or creed. Infact no rep from NANS and Civil Societies.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by COOLDUN: 8:32am On Nov 08, 2013
CyberG:

The proposal is for 100 people from each zone, obviously distributed among the ethnic groups within that zone but it is obvious there will be consultations within the ZONE so all the ethnics take a position, harmonize it, write it down, select 100 people and go to present and defend that position in the conference. This makes a lot of sense, 600 people in all +/- the people for moderation of the debate, security, etc.

On the other hand, you are suggesting that on the basis of ethnicity, the same number of delegates should be sent to go and present the position of their ethnic group, obviously without consulting anybody else but their own ethnic group. Well that might have made sense if there were only 5 or 10 ethnic groups in Nigeria but at over 250, it is a recipe for chaos and an ineffective conference! Have you ever managed anything before, a group of 10 people?? I am sure you've never done that because if you had you will be able to see your suggestion will not lead to a thorough conference in which the opinion of everyone can count and in fact would lead to a situation where it is possible that if each ethnic group sends 10 people each, they will be championing their position and when harmonizing the position of the conference comes down to resolutions, those people are humans and are more than likely to lose out if they cannot gain the majority there! As soon as their position is not reflected in the resolution, their being at the conference is already a loss! Contrast that with 6 sets of demands from zones, enough to potentially form economically viable regions or countries in which it is very easy to have mutually exclusive votes in which every region wins!

Again, within the context of reality, the so called conference is not seeking to divide the country into 250 regions in which each region is an ethnic group! Perhaps, you can do that in your region and divide it into as many states as there are ethnics and finance it within your region and spend your time on it. I think the best way forward is to go and speak to your Ibo kinsmen who are in the SE and get a uniform opinion. The only situations where it is more crucial to pay attention to the details are regions within boundaries of 2 or 3 regions, they can decide where they want to be and which groups they want to go with. Asking that you send 250 * 100 (just for example) to a conference is really asking for chaos and an impracticable decision!

I don't think the fellow is an Igbo, this forum is a faceless forum anyone can use and name and ID, but if he is, you made nice points dear.
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by Mikeyiyokels: 12:54pm On Nov 08, 2013
Abeegi unooooo NAIJARIYA DEY PLAY FUTUBOL TODAY..ABEGHI UNA MAKE WE TALK WHO GO WIN THE CUP AND WHO GO SHARE THE CAKE..
Re: Confab Outcome Must Be Subject Of Referendum – Ekwueme & Others by UyiIredia(m): 3:16pm On Nov 08, 2013
igbeke: i think uncle Gej shud listen to these well- meaning Nigerians and grant their request. afterall, our northern elders also want it dat way.

@ bolded: No. I doubt the honesty of Northeners in wanting it that way because they will be getting the shorter end of the stick if the wishes of Southerners prevail, simply, a return to the parliamentary system granting regional autonomy and considerably reduced powers at the centre. I will make a new thread on this but suffice to say I think all of them wan enjoy oyel money.

(1) (2) (Reply)

EXPOSED: Toughest Question Buhari Asks That The Service Chiefs Could Not Answer / Police Dismiss Claim Of Attack On Atiku’s Witnesses / Soldier Sentenced To Death For Mutiny, Writes Letter To His 5-years-old Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.