Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,416 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency (16529 Views)

Dakuku Peterside Appointed As DG Of NIMASA / Aliyu Yahaya-Gusau Appointed As DG Budget Office / Amaechi Tipped As DG Buhari Presidential Campaign Office As Party Zone VP To S/W (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Capnd143(m): 2:02pm On Nov 08, 2013
crackhaus: What exactly is the job description of the NIA, and why is an ambassador with no experience in military, logistics or intelligence being made its DG
are u daft or ur just ignorant? Have you ever seen a military man being a director of CIA, cia of all organisations? Yet you want a warhawk or military dude with perhaps no diplomatic sense to head a diplomatic intel agency? Anyone must be daft to think you are not daft.

1 Like

Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by pitypec(m): 2:04pm On Nov 08, 2013
Jeel: What does this NIA do? Spy on individuals and othe African Nations like the CIA?
nia is d intelligence gathering arm of d govt in foreign countries and u can't say d man might have had training and was posted as an ambassador after is training. Nia's job is to gather foriegn intelligence why dss/sss is d local agency for national intelligence. An ambassador is employed cos all he has to do is give directives and he is a diplomat so he knw how d foreign relation stuff works and mind u he might have had trainings like i said

1 Like

Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by russellino: 2:05pm On Nov 08, 2013
crackhaus: What exactly is the job description of the NIA, and why is an ambassador with no experience in military, logistics or intelligence being made its DG

What do you think the job of a diplomat is?

1 Like

Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 08, 2013
The question we should all ask is What is the Significance of African Intelligence ? in this Neo-colonialistic dispensation and not Just NIA,SSS,DMI blahblah ...

Naptu, the Question those guys are asking U is quite Understandable since NIA seems to be dormant also the entire Security Operatives and Channels, simply because of Politics which has destroyed all Institution s of Governance !!!

NIA is quite under Utilised !!
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by mkoabiola: 2:21pm On Nov 08, 2013
Ds recruitment is alwys secretive.
I heard of deir recruitment codedely ds year.
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 08, 2013
donroxy: The question we should all ask is What is the Significance of African Intelligence ? in this Neo-colonialistic dispensation and not Just NIA,SSS,DMI blahblah ...

Naptu, the Question those guys are asking U is quite Understandable since NIA seems to be dormant also the entire Security Operatives and Channels, simply because of Politics which has destroyed all Institution s of Governance !!!

i have got to agree with you on the bolded, our institutions are near dead except for a few like the SSS, if the SSS works then i guess the NIA should be as effective. Question is what happens to the intel gathered? They end up like every white paper committee, simple as ABC.
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by naptu2: 2:25pm On Nov 08, 2013
donroxy: The question we should all ask is What is the Significance of African Intelligence ? in this Neo-colonialistic dispensation and not Just NIA,SSS,DMI blahblah ...

Aha! I'm going to answer your question because you've already written the answer in your post.

Take boko haram as an example. The menace had been detected by the SSS as far back as 2003/2004. This means that the SSS is doing its job. Reports were made about the sect. Nothing was done by those who have the political power to do something about it.

The sect attacked police stations in 2004/2005. The police and SSS arrested their members and charged them to court. What happened subsequently? They were released on bail. This means that the SSS did its job.

It was because it was the same boko haram members that had been involved in attacks in 2004/2005 that were also involved in attacks in 2009, that some members of the police decided to carry out extra-judicial killings, rather than arresting them and taking them to court.

You can see that it is wrong to say that the intelligence agencies are "not doing anything". The question is, in what kind of environment are they operating?

Members of the SSS arrested a boko haram suspect in a senator's residence, another one was arrested in a governor's lodge, all these would not have been possible if they were not working.

Who arrested the Lebanese that are accused of stashing weapons in Kano? Who arrested the Iranians in Lagos and Abuja?

The truth is that they are working, but their successes naturally receive less publicity than their failures.

4 Likes

Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by naptu2: 2:32pm On Nov 08, 2013
naptu2: State Security Services (SSS) operatives taking arrested member of the Iranian Republican Guards to court

Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by naptu2: 2:33pm On Nov 08, 2013
naptu2: Suspected Hezbollah operatives.

naptu2: Weapons found at Mr Fawaz's house in Kano.

Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Nobody: 3:00pm On Nov 08, 2013
Obiagelli:
i have got to agree with you on the bolded, our institutions are near dead except for a few like the SSS, if the SSS works then i guess the NIA should be as effective. Question is what happens to the intel gathered? They end up like every white paper committee, simple as ABC.
Wow, Oby welcome ,how was farm Mgt ?

That is exactly what I'm gonna reply Naptu .....
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by hunter21(m): 3:13pm On Nov 08, 2013
@nutty_hnic
(this very useful BACKGROUND
report which leads into the
presently unfolding activities
in Mali was accessed for us by
KASSIM “MKO Jr” ABIOLA) DAILY POST
17 November, 2012 excerpts (..) Dailypost exclusively
gathered that fresh steps have
been taken to capture the
sect’s kingpin, Imam Abubakar
Shekau alive. Investigations
revealed that developments have since then convinced
government that the sect “was
obviously flying a kite to buy
time, following the discovery
of its operational base in
Northern Mali.” Insiders disclosed that the
Federal
Government has decided to
change its
approach to end the Boko
Haram menace by deploying vast resources to capture the
leader of the sect. The source
said, “government is no longer
keen on sending thousands of
our troops to Mali to fight in a
foreign land notwithstanding our commitment to the
ECOWAS plan to put some
troops together. This is
because the ECOWAS process
will still need to get the
approval of the United Nations and go through some
international protocols which
will be a little bit cumbersome
and slow.” But beyond this, the security
source
disclosed, “the decision by
government to change tactics
is more of respecting our pact
with the military leader in Mali,
Captain Sanogo, who is
seriously working with us on
this project. They (Malian
authorities) are insisting that
they don’t want foreign troops in their country because of the
aftermath of that and as such
they are now requesting for
logistic support, including
arms, ammunition and military
wares that their own troops will use to flush out the rebels
controlling the North of Mali,
where the Boko Haram leaders
are hiding,” the source added Sources said that the decision
to discard
deploying Nigerian troops to
launch a
direct attack on rebels’
stronghold in northern Mali is because “out
of about
three or four ECOWAS
countries that
share borders with Mali, only
two have problems with the Touareg Islamist rebels,while
the others are okay with the
group. In essence, ECOWAS troops will
not enjoy
the full support of these other
neighbouring countries, a
development
that may make our troops suffer heavy
casualties because of likely
sabotage.” It was further gathered, high-
tech
military and intelligence
monitoring
equipment have been
deployed to Mali in addition to the physical presence of some
operatives of the Nigerian
Intelligence Agency (NIA) and
the Defence Intelligence
Agency (DIA) to assist the
Malian troops uncover the hideout of the sect suspected
leader, Shekau. The security source said,
“there is, no
doubt,that we will support
them (Malian troops) as
already requested because we
will now leave the battle for them to
fight to liberate their own
country, even
though we are benefiting from
the end result of the
onslaught. Quantity of our logistic or military support is,
however,
what cannot be disclosed.” However, the office of the
National
Security Adviser, Colonel
Sambo Dasuki
(retd), which is working
tirelessly to bring the Boko Haram
insurgency in the
country to an end is yet to
make any
official statement on the new
development.
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 08, 2013
i notice the Director as always come from the south west as of late. any reason for that?
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by hunter21(m): 3:15pm On Nov 08, 2013
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Nobody: 3:16pm On Nov 08, 2013
beejaay:

guy relax nahhh just take a sip of alomo as u dey release that gas and i bet u are gonna be ok, believe me it helps wink grin grin wink

Correct. But i no dey take alomo.
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Nobody: 3:19pm On Nov 08, 2013
hunter2,1:
@nutty_hnic
(this very useful BACKGROUND
report which leads into the
presently unfolding activities
in Mali was accessed for us by
KASSIM “MKO Jr” ABIOLA) DAILY POST
17 November, 2012 excerpts (..) Dailypost exclusively
gathered that fresh steps have
been taken to capture the
sect’s kingpin, Imam Abubakar
Shekau alive. Investigations
revealed that developments have since then convinced
government that the sect “was
obviously flying a kite to buy
time, following the discovery
of its operational base in
Northern Mali.” Insiders disclosed that the
Federal
Government has decided to
change its
approach to end the Boko
Haram menace by deploying vast resources to capture the
leader of the sect. The source
said, “government is no longer
keen on sending thousands of
our troops to Mali to fight in a
foreign land notwithstanding our commitment to the
ECOWAS plan to put some
troops together. This is
because the ECOWAS process
will still need to get the
approval of the United Nations and go through some
international protocols which
will be a little bit cumbersome
and slow.” But beyond this, the security
source
disclosed, “the decision by
government to change tactics
is more of respecting our pact
with the military leader in Mali,
Captain Sanogo, who is
seriously working with us on
this project. They (Malian
authorities) are insisting that
they don’t want foreign troops in their country because of the
aftermath of that and as such
they are now requesting for
logistic support, including
arms, ammunition and military
wares that their own troops will use to flush out the rebels
controlling the North of Mali,
where the Boko Haram leaders
are hiding,” the source added Sources said that the decision
to discard
deploying Nigerian troops to
launch a
direct attack on rebels’
stronghold in northern Mali is because “out
of about
three or four ECOWAS
countries that
share borders with Mali, only
two have problems with the Touareg Islamist rebels,while
the others are okay with the
group. In essence, ECOWAS troops will
not enjoy
the full support of these other
neighbouring countries, a
development
that may make our troops suffer heavy
casualties because of likely
sabotage.” It was further gathered, high-
tech
military and intelligence
monitoring
equipment have been
deployed to Mali in addition to the physical presence of some
operatives of the Nigerian
Intelligence Agency (NIA) and
the Defence Intelligence
Agency (DIA) to assist the
Malian troops uncover the hideout of the sect suspected
leader, Shekau. The security source said,
“there is, no
doubt,that we will support
them (Malian troops) as
already requested because we
will now leave the battle for them to
fight to liberate their own
country, even
though we are benefiting from
the end result of the
onslaught. Quantity of our logistic or military support is,
however,
what cannot be disclosed.” However, the office of the
National
Security Adviser, Colonel
Sambo Dasuki
(retd), which is working
tirelessly to bring the Boko Haram
insurgency in the
country to an end is yet to
make any
official statement on the new
development.

Ok, Nice I get.
But next time for the sake of clarity and better understanding, do not just copy without proper arrangement from a webpage.

You clarify, and then post the source better still.
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by UyiIredia(m): 3:20pm On Nov 08, 2013
I will assume our intelligence agency has been severly ineffective given the crisis Nigeria has faced over the years that could have been averted if intellegence gathering was optimal.
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Nobody: 3:21pm On Nov 08, 2013
donroxy: Wow, Oby welcome ,how was farm Mgt ?

That is exactly what I'm gonna reply Naptu .....
The Farm is great bro, hope you are doing great too.
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Nobody: 3:22pm On Nov 08, 2013
naptu2:
Aha! I'm going to answer your question because you've already written the answer in your post.

Take boko haram as an example. The menace had been detected by the SSS as far back as 2003/2004. This means that the SSS is doing its job. Reports were made about the sect. Nothing was done by those who have the political power to do something about it.

The sect attacked police stations in 2004/2005. The police and SSS arrested their members and charged them to court. What happened subsequently? They were released on bail. This means that the SSS did its job.

It was because it was the same boko haram members that had been involved in attacks in 2004/2005 that were also involved in attacks in 2009, that some members of the police decided to carry out extra-judicial killings, rather than arresting them and taking them to court.

You can see that it is wrong to say that the intelligence agencies are "not doing anything". The question is, in what kind of environment are they operating?

Members of the SSS arrested a boko haram suspect in a senator's residence, another one was arrested in a governor's lodge, all these would not have been possible if they were not working.

Who arrested the Lebanese that are accused of stashing weapons in Kano? Who arrested the Iranians in Lagos and Abuja?

The truth is that they are working, but their successes naturally receive less publicity than their failures.
Kudos to you Naptu as I envisaged U would give me a Superb Response Nonetheless, The Job Of security Operative whether in covert/Open Operations is only complete after Thorough Investigation;Arrest;Prosecution and Most Importantly Persecution which enables the Ops to take the BadGuys/Terrorists outa our street ........

The Security Operatives are Major stakeholders in Democracy as such,they must help enshrined Rule of Law in our Polity within democratic values ............ But, what do we have from them ? , they have been reduced to Political Machinery/Tools Instead of BackBone of a Nation !!!

I wish we have more Azazis !!!
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by naptu2: 3:24pm On Nov 08, 2013
donroxy: Kudos to you Naptu as I envisaged U would give me a Superb Response Nonetheless, The Job Of security Operative whether in covert/Open Operations is only complete after Thorough Investigation;Arrest;Prosecution and Most Importantly Persecution which enables the Ops to take the BadGuys/Terrorists outa our street ........

The Security Operatives are Major stakeholders in Democracy as such,they must help enshrined Rule of Law in our Polity within democratic values ............ But, what do we have from them ? , they have been reduced to Political Machinery/Tools Instead of BackBone of a Nation !!!

I wish we have more Azazis !!!

Aha! Remember what happened to Azazi.
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Nobody: 3:29pm On Nov 08, 2013
Obiagelli:
The Farm is great bro, hope you are doing great too.
I'm fine too !!

Naptu seems to be defending the Intelligence agencies grin

I assume they are actually trying but their Job is never completed until the badguys are taken away from our polity ....

Abi Oby, what do u feel ?
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by naptu2: 3:33pm On Nov 08, 2013
donroxy: I'm fine too !!

I assume they are actually trying but their Job is never completed until the badguys are taken away from our polity ....

I'm not "defending the security agencies", just stating the facts. The problem, as you stated in your first post, is with the political class. The job of the security services is to arrest and sometimes prosecute offenders (the ministry of justice/DPP also prosecute offenders). They are not the judges, neither are they the cabinet.

The policemen who carried out extra-judicial killings, in order to "put away the bad guys" ended up being prosecuted for carrying out extra-judicial killings. I hope that's not what you are advocating?
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Nobody: 3:36pm On Nov 08, 2013
naptu2:
Aha! Remember what happened to Azazi.
He was a warrior who despite being an Appointee as well as BoyBoy of the President, He stood Up and told GEJ,PDP and the whole Nigeria the unfathomable Truth !!!

That is what Intelligence agencies do and not Just PotBelleing,Whorism and drinking Beers !!
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by naptu2: 3:40pm On Nov 08, 2013
donroxy: He was a warrior who despite being an Appointee as well as BoyBoy of the President, He stood Up and told GEJ,PDP and the whole Nigeria the unfathomable Truth !!!

That is what Intelligence agencies do and not Just PotBelleing,Whorism and drinking Beers !!

My question was, what happened to him afterwards?

The political class made sure that he lost his job, right?

So who would you blame, the security official (Azazi) or the politicians who made sure he lost his job?
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 08, 2013
donroxy: I'm fine too !!

i understand naptu2's point, both of you are actually on the same page, the field guys (SSS, DMI, NIA) are actually doing their jobs but the buck (intel) stops at tables of the political class who have absolutely no clue or careless about execution. SSS had intel on boko haram as far back as 2003 but everyone looked away, same thing they are doing with ombaste,
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by ocelot2006(m): 3:50pm On Nov 08, 2013
naptu2:

Of course the NIA operates outside our boundaries using our embassies and a nunber of safe houses across the globe for their operations. Every foreign intelligence service does that, be it the CIA or Russia's SVR or the Chinese MSS. But so does the DIA whose defence attaches work from these same facilities. NIA agents equally recieve a couple of training courses from the Foreign, just like other security services and section of the armed forces across the globe.

BUT the NIA is NOT a part of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. And It is NOT a "diplomatic" service as you mentioned. It is an INTELLIGENCE AGENCY through and through that uses diplomacy as a cover. Hell, do NOT even share the same HQ. And its orders and funding comes SOLELY from the Office of the NSA, NOT the Minister of Foreign Affairs.
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 08, 2013
Capnd143: are u daft or ur just ignorant? Have you ever seen a military man being a director of CIA, cia of all organisations? Yet you want a warhawk or military dude with perhaps no diplomatic sense to head a diplomatic intel agency? Anyone must be daft to think you are not daft.
General Petraeus headed the CIA not too long ago
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Nobody: 3:52pm On Nov 08, 2013
naptu2:
I'm not "defending the security agencies", just stating the facts. The problem, as you stated in your first post, is with the political class. The job of the security services is to arrest and sometimes prosecute offenders (the ministry of justice/DPP also prosecute offenders). They are not the judges, neither are they the cabinet.

The policemen who carried out extra-judicial killings, in order to "put away the bad guys" ended up being prosecuted for carrying out extra-judicial killings. I hope that's not what you are advocating?
I'm never advocating Extra-Judicial killing simply because it is criminal to solve crime via comitting another crime !!!

But Naptu,there are ways by which the Ops can Build cases/Intelligence to the extent that even the President would never found way around it If He (C-in-C happens to be the culprit talkless of Unauthoritative criminals !!!

The Truth is African Intelligence agencies,Not Just Nigerian,are weak and whenever U see them being Strong, they should be working for Foreign Interest ......

N.B .....
Na my Observation oooo I dey yearn oo, abegi oooo .... , I be Ordinary Citizen oooo grin grin .... I no say Una strong to catch me ooo But abegi ooo .... Na Terrorist wey dey disturb our territory make Una catch !!!
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Nobody: 3:52pm On Nov 08, 2013
naptu2:

Simple the political class right?
At the end of the day what does an average nigerian know? They aint working.

You posted a couple of pictures of SSS findings and all. Do you have an idea how many times i ve seen those images?

Yes, 1 out of how many DEATHS? Thousands have lost their lives.

...these guys aint doing shi.t as far as i and MANY others are concerned.

The only time they are at their PEAK is when they are around Governors and other public office holders.

1 Like

Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 08, 2013
nutty_hnic:

Simple the political class right?
At the end of the day what does an average nigerian know? They aint working.

You posted a couple of pictures of SSS findings and all. Do you have an idea how many times i ve seen those images?

Yes, 1 out of how many DEATHS? Thousands have lost their lives.

...these guys aint doing shi.t as far as i and MANY others are concerned.

The only time they are at their PEAK is when they are around Governors and other public office holders.
Bro do you know how many thousands have been prevented? Problem is there is too much secrecy in our defence system, that why we know next to nothing about them.

1 Like

Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Nobody: 4:07pm On Nov 08, 2013
Obiagelli:
Bro do you know how many thousands have been prevented? Problem is there is too much secrecy in our defence system, that why we know next to nothing about them.

My Dear.......Nigeria has attracted to much attention with regards to our security.

What has been prevented??

They enter SCHOOLS, CHURCHES, MOSQUES, even UN Building the other time...Attacked Eagles Square.
What is left?

Whatever they do now wouldnt shock any one......they ve Killed Children, babies, mothers, hundreds of them.
What has been prevented??

Infact, even OUR president believes we have to pray and its Nigeria's Turn.
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Nobody: 4:10pm On Nov 08, 2013
naptu2:
My question was, what happened to him afterwards?

The political class made sure that he lost his job, right?

So who would you blame, the security official (Azazi) or the politicians who made sure he lost his job?
I'm not blaming Azazi simply because He did what a Gallant Intelligent Operative should do, If such made him to be sacked then Kudos for him standing in the part of righteousness !!!

Politicians all over the world seems to sell their nation due to overProtective of their Interests, it is the Job of Intel Officers to define Limits and defend the nation against any form of Insurrection that may possibly arise from Politicians clandestine moves !! Without committing Treason Of Course grin !!!

The BackBone of a Nation is the Security Agencies and their sole Objective is defence and Protect the nation even against Politicians of course !!
Re: Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 08, 2013
donroxy: I'm not blaming Azazi simply because He did what a Gallant Intelligent Operative should do, If such made him to be sacked then Kudos for him standing in the part of righteousness !!!

Politicians all over the world seems to sell their nation due to overProtective of their Interests, it is the Job of Intel Officers to define Limits and defend the nation against any form of Insurrection that may possibly arise from Politicians clandestine moves !! Without committing Treason Of Course grin !!!

The BackBone of a Nation is the Security Agencies and their sole Objective is defence and Protect the nation even against Politicians of course !!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PDP Challenges Opposition To Present Both Buhari And Atiku Against Jonathan. / Why Buhari's Men Are Desperate To Win 2019 Election - Buba Galadima / Oshiomole: Giadom Wants To Kill APC As They Did In Rivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.