Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,113 members, 7,821,823 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Nigeria Is Officially A Failed State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is Officially A Failed State (984 Views)

Osun State Is Now A Failed State. Received Only 55 Million In FG Allocation / Nigeria Is Becoming A Failed State – Prof. Ben Nwabueze / Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is Officially A Failed State by anulaxad(m): 8:52am On Nov 08, 2013
ailed States Index: Nigeria Ranked 15 out of 177 Nations
Category: Nigerian Economy

Read (1262) Failed States Index: Nigeria Ranked 15 out of 177 Nations

Nigeria was yesterday ranked the 15th most failed nation in the world, out of a total of 177 countries that were surveyed. The country moved upwards three places from 18th position in 2008; and 17th in 2007. The newly released Failed State Index 2009 was published by the United States think-tank and an independent research organisation, the Fund for Peace, and the magazine Foreign Policy. This is the 5th edition, since 2005.

According to the detailed Index, Somalia emerged the most failed state, for the second time running, while Norway emerged the best or most sustainable state. The index's ranks are based on twelve indicators of state vulnerability - four social, two economic and six political. The indicators are not designed to forecast when states may experience violence or collapse. Instead, they are meant to measure a state's vulnerability to collapse or conflict.

Out of the 15 most failed nations surveyed, ten were African nations. These include Somalia (1st), Zimbabwe (2nd), Sudan (3rd), Chad (4th), Dem. Rep. of Congo (5th), Central African Republic (8th), Guinea (9th), Ivory Coast (11th), Kenya (14th), and Nigeria (15th).

The best five nations, which were described as having the most sustainable state include Norway (177), Finland (176), Sweden (175), Switzerland (174), and Ireland (173). Ghana emerged the best state in Africa, ranked 124 and classified as moderate state, while USA was 159th and UK 161 on the survey list.

The Crisis States Research Centre defines a “failed state” as a condition of “state collapse” – i.e., a state that can no longer perform its basic security and development functions and that has no effective control over its territory.

The Index used 12 indicators of state cohesion and performance, compiled through a close examination of more than 30,000 publicly available sources. The survey also ranked 177 states in order from most to least at risk of failure. The 60 most vulnerable states are listed in the rankings.
The list only assesses sovereign states (determined by membership in the United Nations.) Several territories are excluded until their political status and UN membership is ratified in international law.

For example, Taiwan, the Palestinian Territories, Northern Cyprus, Kosovo, and Western Sahara are not included in the list, even though some are recognized as sovereign states by some nations.
Ranking is based on the total scores of the 12 indicators. For each indicator, the ratings are placed on a scale of 0 to 10, with 0 being the lowest intensity (most stable) and 10 being the highest intensity (least stable). The total score is the sum of the 12 indicators and is on a scale of 0-120.

The applied indicators include demographic pressures; massive movement of refugees and internally displaced peoples; legacy of vengeance-seeking group grievance; chronic and sustained human flight; uneven economic development along group lines; and sharp and/or severe economic decline.
Others are criminalisation and/or delegitimisation of the state; progressive deterioration of public services; widespread violation of human rights; security apparatus as ‘state within a state’; rise of factionalised elites; and intervention of other states or external factors.

“It is a sobering time for the world’s most fragile countries—virulent economic crisis, countless natural disasters, and government collapse. This year, we delve deeper than ever into just what went wrong—and who is to blame”, the groups noted.

“Other countries dependent on the import and export of commodities—from Nigeria to Equatorial Guinea to Bangladesh—had a similarly rough go of it last year, suffering what economist Homi Kharas calls a “whiplash effect” as prices spiked sharply and then plummeted. All indications are that 2009 will bring little to no reprieve.”

“The Failed States Index does not provide all the answers, nor does it claim to be able to. But it is a starting point for a discussion about why states fail and what should be done about them—a discussion, sadly, that we might be having even more frequently this year”, the authors noted. All countries in the red (Alert, FSI of 90 or more), orange (Warning, FSI of 60 or more), or yellow (Moderate, FSI of 30 or more) categories display some features that make parts of their societies and institutions vulnerable to failure.

Some in the yellow zone may be failing at a faster rate than those in the more dangerous orange or red zones, and therefore could experience violence sooner. Conversely, some in the red zone, though critical, may exhibit some positive signs of recovery or be deteriorating slowly, giving them time to adopt mitigating strategies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Failed_States_Index
Re: Nigeria Is Officially A Failed State by Afrocatalyst: 8:57am On Nov 08, 2013
Goat. Is this what you waste your time researching on the internet? We attract what we are,I tink you're a failed person.
Re: Nigeria Is Officially A Failed State by Nobody: 9:10am On Nov 08, 2013
Afrocatalyst: Goat. Is this what you waste your time researching on the internet? We attract what we are,I tink you're a failed person.
What is talking?
Re: Nigeria Is Officially A Failed State by don33310(m): 9:35am On Nov 08, 2013
Afrocatalyst: Goat. Is this what you waste your time researching on the internet? We attract what we are,I tink you're a failed person.
[color=#000099][/color]Shrup up,if you don't have anything to say keep quiete
Re: Nigeria Is Officially A Failed State by Okikiade(m): 9:55am On Nov 08, 2013
If you believe this assessment,you're already a failed personality!A Nigerian with a failed colonial mentality will not sees anything good in his country!Moreso,every nation listed here are also failed states in one way or the others! 'A part cannot make A whole!' ...Between lines
Re: Nigeria Is Officially A Failed State by Kponkwem(m): 9:56am On Nov 08, 2013
I do not trust these trumped statistics. However the truth remains that a country that gleefully wasted 3 million souls against a particular people will suffer repercussions nah!
What goes around in Asaba, Amaeke massacres of 1968 is coming around in Abiola Lagos riot massacres, Zaki Biam, Odi, Baga, Maiduguri.
Shudder in pains...
Re: Nigeria Is Officially A Failed State by Arosa(m): 9:58am On Nov 08, 2013
Nonsense research.
Re: Nigeria Is Officially A Failed State by Nobody: 12:19pm On Nov 08, 2013
This is no news.

Nigeria was never meant to be in the first place.
The whiteman has tried and we too have tried.

It is time to reclaim our originality.

Biafra is my country.
Re: Nigeria Is Officially A Failed State by anulaxad(m): 4:52pm On Nov 08, 2013
Yunglord111:
What is talking?

A hypocrite
Re: Nigeria Is Officially A Failed State by anulaxad(m): 4:59pm On Nov 08, 2013
I believe Nigeria should be first out of all failed states,now before the abuse let me explain why.

Nigeria is a very lucky country that has always had resources the whiteman did not exploit us as much as other african countries,they hardly steal from us nigerians and even better we the nigerians control our own country fully,but why the hell is our infrastructure disgusting,why is corruption so bad and why the hell is there a lot of unnecessary spending.

Nigeria is truly the most failed state in the world by a mile according to my reasonable opinion.
I am not going to go into full detail.
Re: Nigeria Is Officially A Failed State by Arosa(m): 5:22pm On Nov 08, 2013
anulaxad: I believe Nigeria should be first out of all failed states,now before the abuse let me explain why.

[s][b]Nigeria is a very lucky country that has always had resources the whiteman did not exploit us a smuch as other african countries[/b[/s]],they hardly steal from us nigerians and even better we the nigerians control our own country fully,but why the hell is our infrastructure disgusting,why is corruption so bad and why the hell is there a lot of unnecessary spending.

Nigeria is truly the most failed state in the world by a mile according to my reasonable opinion.
I am not going to go into full detail.

You forget about human resources, Nigeria is the most exploited of all African Nations.
Most of the trance Atlantic slaves were from naija.
Do you know how many Naija men were lost in the world wars and Burma war?
Lets not talk about oil and gas.
Re: Nigeria Is Officially A Failed State by anulaxad(m): 4:11pm On Nov 09, 2013
Arosa:

You forget about human resources, Nigeria is the most exploited of all African Nations.
Most of the trance Atlantic slaves were from naija.
Do you know how many Naija men were lost in the world wars and Burma war?
Lets not talk about oil and gas.

I have an A level and GCSE on history,and please i used to believe Nigeria had the most slaves taken out of Africa but i was wrong.It was four specific countries in west Africa that had been brutaly victimized but it was not Nigeria(though there was an awful amount of slaves taken from Nigeria) but it was The Gambia,Sengal,sierra leone and Liberia.

But I absolutely agree about the exploitation of african troops such as the Nigerians who were used to fight against wars.

(1) (Reply)

APC Is An Alaye Party- APGA Chairman / Summary Of Obasanjo Letter To Goodluck Jonathan / Budget 2014: Lagos-ibadan, Other Federal Roads To Gulp N100bn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.