Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,047 members, 7,821,600 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

National Conference: Things That MAY Never Happen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Conference: Things That MAY Never Happen (603 Views)

Presidency Discards Confab Report, To Hold National Conference On North-east / Jonathan Okays Sovereign National Conference, SNC To Take Off Next Year / This Must Never Happen In Nigeria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Conference: Things That MAY Never Happen by egift(m): 1:45pm On Nov 09, 2013
The planned National Conference proposed by President Jonathan is great looking at the overview. But this is Nigeria, where nice policies have been used and dumped to without anyone remembering it.

There are very important issues in the mind of Nigerians who have hoped and supported the idea of a national conference since decades ago and even at present.

So ladies and gentle men, predict issues in the heart of Nigerians that MAY Never be allowed to see the light in the proposed conference. Post yours.
Re: National Conference: Things That MAY Never Happen by egift(m): 1:53pm On Nov 09, 2013
Let me start with issues that I believe will not make the final resolution if it is even completed:
- Plans to Islamize Nigeria, will not.
- Any plan to Christianize Nigeria will not make it.
- Embezzlement, stealing public funds and looting will not attract capital punishments.
Re: National Conference: Things That MAY Never Happen by egift(m): 1:54pm On Nov 09, 2013
- Empowering States and Regions, while reducing the power in Abuja will not see the light.
- State of Origin will not be abolished.
- Ex-convicts will NOT be barred from holding public/political office again.
Re: National Conference: Things That MAY Never Happen by CyberG: 2:07pm On Nov 09, 2013
egift: - Empowering States and Regions, while reducing the power in Abuja will not see the light.
- State of Origin will not be abolished.
- Ex-convicts will NOT be barred from holding public/political office again.

So if there is no regionalism and all the powers granted to it thereof, what will the conference be doing in the several months it would be sitting or what would be the essence of the conference??
Re: National Conference: Things That MAY Never Happen by egift(m): 2:17pm On Nov 09, 2013
CyberG:
So if there is no regionalism and all the powers granted to it thereof, what will the conference be doing in the several months it would be sitting or what would be the essence of the conference??

The greed of the elites in power who have kept this country on the floor will not allow them to see many issues on the front burner to be implemented. Unless there is signed/sealed commitment from those in power to this conference, then it is just another charade in the making. For example, can someone sign to be jailed if not completed and implemented?
Re: National Conference: Things That MAY Never Happen by egift(m): 2:22pm On Nov 09, 2013
Here are more issues that may not make the final list:
- Political office holders will not slash their current salaries and bonuses by 50% or more while increasing the minimum wage to help those below the ladder and free funds for development.
- Inflated budget allocation and contract payment will not attract jail terms.
- Trust funds and payouts will not be setup for unemployed Nigerian graduates.
Re: National Conference: Things That MAY Never Happen by egift(m): 2:28pm On Nov 09, 2013
- EFCC and INEC will not be truly independent and autonomous.
- Do expect State Police and small Federal Police Force that only handle National crime cases.
- I don't see any limit on the number of political parties with strict conditions for the existing ones, like having stated minimum members and offices in about 60% of the States.
Re: National Conference: Things That MAY Never Happen by egift(m): 3:18pm On Nov 09, 2013
- The Conference will NOT be Sovereign.
- Nigeria will not be divided. Discussion about this will not be officially raised at all. If you try it, you will be arrested and tried for Treason. grin
Re: National Conference: Things That MAY Never Happen by CyberG: 3:28pm On Nov 09, 2013
egift:

The greed of the elites in power who have kept this country on the floor will not allow them to see many issues on the front burner to be implemented. Unless there is signed/sealed commitment from those in power to this conference, then it is just another charade in the making. For example, can someone sign to be jailed if not completed and implemented?

I know most of what you wrote is speculative but of course with informed basis knowing how Nigeria's political office holders operate. If the people are able to pressure each other and their leaders to a regional arrangement, a lot of problems would be solved at the root rather than just dealing with the leaves. Any conference that allows Nigeria to remain as is will no achieve anything and everything will eventually revert to what it is now and possibly get worse.
Re: National Conference: Things That MAY Never Happen by Beaf1: 3:32pm On Nov 09, 2013
This National Conference/Dialogue is just a weapon GEJ is using to get support of the people from the south to win election in 2015. We all know that the thieving elites (north and south) will not benefit from the outcome of any dialogue/conference. They will want the status quo to remain.

When I hear 'let's split the country' from my brothers from the south I just pity them. Nigeria is not and will never split peacefully. Only war and revolution will do that.
Re: National Conference: Things That MAY Never Happen by egift(m): 4:00pm On Nov 09, 2013
CyberG:

I know most of what you wrote is speculative but of course with informed basis knowing how Nigeria's political office holders operate. If the people are able to pressure each other and their leaders to a regional arrangement, a lot of problems would be solved at the root rather than just dealing with the leaves. Any conference that allows Nigeria to remain as is will no achieve anything and everything will eventually revert to what it is now and possibly get worse.
I agree. And it is the reason I believe this conference is just a political calculation that unless someone in power (like the President is sticking his neck to take responsibility for its outcome - it will amount to a waste of everyone's time and National Resources.

In Nigeria's current state, violent change is not even a possibility, see the following:
- Those in power will crown you a criminal.
- The people you are fighting for may even disown you with little or no pressure.
- After your struggle, those that did participate and opposed the movement will be the ones who will position themselves to take the credit, loot and steal on your name.
- If you die, just few months and weeks, you will be forgotten (can you remember those that died for fuel subsidy protest?).
- Your community and family will be more happy if you looted the National Treasury than lead a protest against corruption.

(1) (Reply)

End Of Oil, HYUNDAI Electric IX 35 To Be Ready For 2015!! / Charly Boy Sends An Inspiring Message To All Nigerians. "We Are All Guilty" / Inec Insincerity In Anambra Poll May Lead To Massive Rigging And Loss Of Lives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.