Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,943 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

South Africa doesn’t smile at strangers - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / South Africa doesn’t smile at strangers (5027 Views)

How To Make Conversations With Strangers: 4 Tips For Solo Travellers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South Africa doesn’t smile at strangers by morpheus24: 2:10pm On Aug 12, 2009
sinako:

All of you are right in a way, South Africa is Xenophobic even to its own people sometimes, I mean a person can be a bit unfriendly to you just because they looked at you and thought you dont look south african.

What is the typical south African look and how different is it from typical southern African and east African looks.

sinako:

I dont think people not being friendly to each other is because of Xenophonia, the thing is when you walking in the road you dont just greet people,it doesnt work like that, you only do that at you own village in the deep limpopo where you will be greeting your neighbours cousins cousins.No body is interested in the other person in the city, I`m sure its the same in lagos.
As bad as lagos is , thats not common practice in the city.

sinako:

The Xenophobic attacks were do to with inferiority complex. South Africans blacks have been told so much that being white is better that being black so your avarage NON-south african coming to SA with a darker skin reminds the SA guy than you just like me I guess
The second thing is that most Non-south africans work very hard and you will find someone coming into the country with nothing and then opening up shop and making money, your avarage SA guy just gets drunk and waits for the free government houses, so there is recentment that you come into my country and you do better that me.
Another thing is the women, SA women love foreigners and they normally have a pick at the best ones and it doesnt go down well with the SA guy
The sooner you come to grips with this, the sooner you will understand yourselfs more and quicker you will reach your full potential. The country is yours and will always be, you jsut have to tap into its resources.

As far as SA women liking other Africans( I don't like the use of the word foreigner, its very alienating), well on average there a lot more good's looking. There's nothing we can do about that.
Re: South Africa doesn’t smile at strangers by Nobody: 2:19pm On Aug 12, 2009
South Africans have taken racism to the highest point am telling ya. . . And its getting worse cos they do it to their fellow africans. . . The other time, they were killing fellow africans for getting good jobs and leaving them unemployed! No country is an Island, south africans, please get that into your head! And to think they have the highest HIV rate, first swine flu death in africa. . . why would i wanna go there? God forbid! It's just that some Nigerians are never contented with what they have. . .
Re: South Africa doesn’t smile at strangers by philip0906(m): 7:41pm On Aug 12, 2009
jassie:

South Africans have taken racism to the highest point am telling ya. . . And its getting worse cos they do it to their fellow africans. . . The other time, they were killing fellow africans for getting good jobs and leaving them unemployed! No country is an Island, south africans, please get that into your head! And to think they have the highest HIV rate, first swine flu death in africa. . . why would i wanna go there? God forbid! It's just that some Nigerians are never contented with what they have. . .
y would u want 2 go there?no matter how bad we see south africa 2 be,it is still by far the most advanced country on the continent atleast infrastructure and economic wise.so who would not go for better thing?There r lots of oppurtunities in south africa its just b'cos they r lazy thats y they r where they r.They want the government 2 do everything 4 them.My uncles have been there 4 almost five years now,and they r doing very fine there.They have an established business that employs up to 6 people.so no matter how south africa might be,it still is still a huge market where only the brave and hardworking will make it(and thats the typical nigerian 4 u).Its true that there r lots of Nigerians that r commiting attrocities there but u just don't look at the bad side,u also look at the good side and I bet that south africa has lots of good things 2 offer u.
My uncles will always tell me,we r here 4 the money.crime?when u come 4rm a country like naija its easier 4 u.so lets not just condemn south africa(atleast with the good things it can offer).
Re: South Africa doesn’t smile at strangers by Nobody: 5:33am On Aug 15, 2009
When u travel there and get robbed several times in broad daylight, or having your 6 month old baby raped by HIV+ guys, then you'll know how cruel south africans could be. . .
Re: South Africa doesn’t smile at strangers by MthimbaneZA(m): 1:10pm On Jul 26, 2013
Can u imagine 'South Africans never smile at strangers'. Woow, nigerians never seize to amaze me. What type of thread is this, lolest. :-)
Re: South Africa doesn’t smile at strangers by harmony940(m): 12:41pm On Jul 28, 2013
southAfrica is a country i like so much, as a literature graduate i have read so much of the apartheid literature,i still wait with great anticipation to read the post apartheid south African literature,well tense still loom in south Africa as there is still scores to be settled.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any Nairalanders Living In Paris? / How Nigeria Prople Live In Belarus? / Germany To Return Nigerian Migrants After Buhari Statement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.