Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,921 members, 7,817,697 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha (1123 Views)

Professor Ighalo Wins N58Million In Sports Bet / Who Do You Want To Be Minister Of Sports Under Buhari? / Ghana Or Nigeria? Who Is Generally Better In Football (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha by pheesayor(m): 11:15pm On Nov 09, 2013
Ok so I got this BBM broadcast, food for thought for all.

SNIPPETS OF TRUTH.

PUTTING THE RECORDS STRAIGHT.

For those who equate success in football to Goodluck and good omen for Nigeria, I differ totally. Abacha's regime saw greater exploits in Sports.

Under Abacha we won the Nations Cup in 1994, we qualified for our first ever Fifa World Cup in USA, Abacha received Kanu Nwankwo, Wilson Oruma and the Golden Eaglets who conquered the world in November 1993. Abacha's regime saw the most successful Olympic Games outing in our nation's history (we won soccer gold, long jump gold and 4x400m gold) in 1996.

Jonathan's regime saw our worst Olympic Games outing in more than 30years ditto the 2012 Olympics, so let court-jesters, sycophants & spin doctors spare us the Goodluck sports conquest statistics for if Abacha was yet adjudged demonic BUT excelled even so & more in Sports then our critique of this regime as impious & undemocratic may afterall be grounded. Like Abacha like GEJ!!!

On the one hand I believe the Boys worked so hard & as of merit became victorious; on the other it is obvious that God chose to give the suffering masses laughter & relief yet again like HE did under the Abacha years of terror & anomie....YES we have cause to celebrate with the Eaglets like we did with the Eagles in February, GOD has given us some laughter & smile amidst the rudderless & directionless drift of the ship of State.

Alas the discerning should be weary, like Abacha like GEJ. With the Jonathanian air of impunity ala the PDP & nPDP square ups reminiscent of the Abacha days, the times are yet ominous.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha by simpleseyi: 11:20pm On Nov 09, 2013
Where is the 40 lapdogs crew? Dem don sleep? Come and work for your salary ooo. Is the poster right or wrong?
Re: Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha by Lateef9961(m): 11:22pm On Nov 09, 2013
@ops,i dnt knw the reasn y u pple ar so tribalistic lyk dix.
O ga o

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha by Nobody: 11:24pm On Nov 09, 2013
I support the article with the sum of N15,000.

cool cool
Re: Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha by Abagworo(m): 11:26pm On Nov 09, 2013
Lateef9961: @ops,i dnt knw the reasn y u pple ar so tribalistic lyk dix.
O ga o

So what's tribalistic about this? Meanwhile in addition Abacha is from Kanuri which is a minority ethnic group that comprises most Boko militants and Jonathan is from Ogbiya-Ijaw which is also a minority ethnic group that comprises most oil militants.
Re: Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha by Datiboboi: 11:34pm On Nov 09, 2013
Tufiakwa, some peeps are cursed forever
Re: Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha by Afam4eva(m): 11:46pm On Nov 09, 2013
But some years back people were equating the dwindling fortunes of Nigerian football to Jonathan yet Jonathan shouldn't take credit now that things are beginning to look up in that sector. Is the Sports ministry not under the administration of Jonathan? Are their workings independent of the Government? I don't know why human beings are just wicked.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha by ow11(m): 5:47am On Nov 10, 2013
The premise behind this type of messages is mischief. Actually, Nigeria won two and not three gold medals at the 96 Olympics.

Conversely, we can say that Nigeria hosted a world cup under Jonathan which Abacha contrived to give to Qatar and GEJ oversaw a gold and a bronze at AFCON whilst Abacha saw just one gold even though Nigeria had better players.

The biggest lie in that hurriedly thought up memo is attributing the U17 triumph to Abacha and not Shonekan or even Babangida afterall Abacha only came into power a full two months AFTER the end of the tournament. Also, Nigeria's first world cup qualification was Aikhomu's effort under Babangida! Supporting Westerhof with funds for the SE . They played the last game in October and Abacha got into power in November so I'm not sure how he gets the credit.

It is only in Nigeria people with sh*t on their clothes will claim that their sh*t stinks a lot less than some other person's. Both governments have failed Nigerians and stupid memos like this filled with lies doesn't do anyone any good.

Blame GEJ for his failings but comparing his government to Abacha's is mischievous and downright wicked to all those that suffered at the hands of that tyrant. We do not need these silly lies to remind us that GEJ isn't ruling Nigeria as he should.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha by Tolexander: 5:51am On Nov 10, 2013
Exactly what i was trying to explained to the deluded sinkcere 9gerian!
Re: Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha by Tolexander: 5:57am On Nov 10, 2013
Lateef9961: @ops,i dnt knw the reasn y u pple ar so tribalistic lyk dix.
O ga o
nobody is tribalistic here mr man!
Where were you when the 40 laptop crew were politicizing the victory and claiming it to be as a result of GEJ's luck rather than the hardwork and dexterity of the players and coaching crew as if the perceived worst president never achieved better than that?
Re: Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha by Tolexander: 5:59am On Nov 10, 2013
ow11: The premise behind this type of messages is mischief. Actually, Nigeria won two and not three gold medals at the 96 Olympics.
in the 1996 edition of the olympic, nigeria won 2golds, 1silver and 3bronzes. A total of 6medals.
what nigerian olympic team have been able to match that for nigeria?

Conversely, we can say that Nigeria hosted a world cup under Jonathan which Abacha contrived to give to Qatar and GEJ oversaw a gold and a bronze at AFCON whilst Abacha saw just one gold even though Nigeria had better players.
hosting the world cup has nothing to do in this tournament winning arguement.

[b]nigeria participated in the 1994 edition of the nations cup and won.

Nigeria didn't participate in the 1996 edition cos the the diplomatic row with the host nation(south africa), nigeria was banned from the following edition in burkina faso cos of what she did in the previous edition.
How do you expect a country that didn't participate in an event to win it?

The two missed editions were arguably gonna be nigeria's years cos we had a better team than the participants and winners.

The biggest lie in that hurriedly thought up memo is attributing the U17 triumph to Abacha and not Shonekan or even Babangida afterall Abacha only came into power a full two months AFTER the end of the tournament.
left to me, i will rather give General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida the accolade for the winning of the 1993 edition of the U17 World cup than giving it to Chief Earnest Shonekan cos Babangida stepped aside just 6 days after the event started in Japan. He financed the team, pre tournament training, trip to the venue including the coaching crew.

Blame GEJ for his failings but comparing his government to Abacha's is mischievous and downright wicked to all those that suffered at the hands of that tyrant. We do not need these silly lies to remind us that GEJ isn't ruling Nigeria as he should.
the essence of this is the propaganda being spread by the GEJ loyalists that nigeria has won trophies in football due to GEJ's luck rather than giving the kudos to the players and officials. Perhaps, nobody is talking about sport under any administration until these people started disturbing us with their rants.
Re: Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha by ow11(m): 6:06am On Nov 10, 2013
Tolexander: Exactly what i was trying to explained to the deluded sinkcere 9gerian!

GEJ is a poor president but honestly the OP is filled with untruths. None of us here are politicians and do not need to lie to prove that the current president is doing a bad job.

There are many things he has not done but men this memo is silly since it is filled with lies or did the 1993 U17 world cup hold not hold between August and Sept 93?

If anything, this victory is Maigari's work and whoever was NFF boss in 2010. The guys opened an U13 camp which has yielded fruits. Even though GEJ as overall boss can claim that he appointed an efficient minister, you and I know that even if Maigari's was incompetent, he won't be sacked. That's why I think the NFF should get some pat of the back for fixing Nigerian football at youth level. It remains our league and getting proper kit for our teams.
Re: Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha by Tolexander: 7:13am On Nov 10, 2013
ow11:

GEJ is a poor president but honestly the OP is filled with untruths. None of us here are politicians and do not need to lie to prove that the current president is doing a bad job.

There are many things he has not done but men this memo is silly since it is filled with lies or did the 1993 U17 world cup hold not hold between August and Sept 93?

If anything, this victory is Maigari's work and whoever was NFF boss in 2010. The guys opened an U13 camp which has yielded fruits. Even though GEJ as overall boss can claim that he appointed an efficient minister, you and I know that even if Maigari's was incompetent, he won't be sacked. That's why I think the NFF should get some pat of the back for fixing Nigerian football at youth level. It remains our league and getting proper kit for our team.
to every action, there is always a reaction. Hence the reason for the article.
Check this thread out;
https://www.nairaland.com/1510180/goodluck-jonathan-what-name#19401002.
SNIPPETS OF TRUTH.
[size=20pt]PUTTING THE RECORDS
STRAIGHT.
For those who equate
success in football to
Goodluck and good omen
for Nigeria, I differ totally.
Abacha's regime saw
greater exploits in Sports.
[/size]
have you seen what the guy was trying to say. He was talking about the exploits in sport and not administration sir.

You can scroll up to read your post i quoted cos i've added to it.
Re: Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha by owolabifunke14(f): 8:53am On Nov 10, 2013
Sorry to say this,Some nairaland members are iddiots.I see nothing bad in people praising the president over the victory,he is the number one citizen of the country and deserves all cheers. From 1998 down to 2007 what did we win in sports?President did not play the matches for us but by virtue of the office he's occupying,he deserved the glory take it or leave it.
Re: Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha by babyboy3(m): 3:43pm On Nov 10, 2013
I cant remember when Eyimba won the only trophy that eluded Nigeria for more than 50 years but under Abacha thats when the world noticed who we are.
Re: Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha by abacus(m): 4:14pm On Nov 10, 2013
The pro GEJ are sick. Have been expecting this..

These following results are not good luck but hardwork..

CAF

Sat 20/04/13 CUC Congo U17 0 - 7 Nigeria U17

Wed 24/04/13 CUC Nigeria U17 4 - 2 Tunisia U17

Sat 27/04/13 CUC Côte d'Ivoire U17 P 1 - 1 Nigeria U17

- Nigeria U17 lost after penalty kick. Why not good luck playing itself here. Shame!!!

FIFA

Sat 19/10/13 UWC Mexico U17 1 - 6 Nigeria U17

Tue 22/10/13 UWC Sweden U17 3 - 3 Nigeria U17 - This game, you all believe me our boys were playing on good luck, until when they realised hard work should be.

Fri 25/10/13 UWC Nigeria U17 5 - 0 Iraq U17

Tue 29/10/13 UWC Nigeria U17 4 - 1 Iran U17

Sat 02/11/13 UWC Uruguay U17 0 - 2 Nigeria U17

Tue 05/11/13 UWC Sweden U17 0 - 3 Nigeria U17

Fri 08/11/13 UWC Nigeria U17 3 - 0 Mexico U17

[size=20pt]HARD WORK is IT[/size]
Re: Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha by abubaka101: 8:46am On Nov 13, 2013
Just to downgrade GEJ, people can do such evil and mischievous things? brb
Re: Nigeria Did Better In Sports Under Abacha by Ajibel(m): 8:54am On Nov 13, 2013
The thing wey consign me be say we are winning, we won trophies, and we won't stop winning and lifting trophies even WC so I don't give a _fuck to all these unnecessary comparisons and praise-singing... I never blamed GEJ or any govt for our woes in the past and I wouldn't attribute our successes nau to GEJ or any govt wink
The Pythonian has spoken cool cool

(1) (Reply)

‘alexis Sanchez Is Inconsistent’ / Cristaiano Ronaldo Showing Is SIX PARK / Rip...former Nigerian Sports Star, Aiyegbeni Passes Away

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.