Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,784 members, 7,810,045 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:17 PM

Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta (21453 Views)

Ken Saro-Wiwa And 8 Other Ogonis Were Executed On 10th November, 1995 / Nigerian Drug Courier Daniel Enemuo To Be Executed Today As Indonesia Gets Tough / Photo: Nigerian Drug Courier Daniel Enemuo To Be Executed Today In Indonesia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by akereconfi: 4:49am On Nov 10, 2013
My lord,

We all stand before history. I am a man of peace, of ideas. Appalled by the denigrating poverty of my people who live on a richly endowed land, distressed by their political marginalization and economic strangulation, angered by the devastation of their land, their ultimate heritage, anxious to preserve their right to life and to a decent living, and determined to usher to this country as a whole a fair and just democratic system which protects everyone and every ethnic group and gives us all a valid claim to human civilization, I have devoted my intellectual and material resources, my very life, to a cause in which I have total belief and from which I cannot be blackmailed or intimidated. I have no doubt at all about the ultimate success of my cause, no matter the trials and tribulations which I and those who believe with me may encounter on our journey. Neither imprisonment nor death can stop our ultimate victory.

I repeat that we all stand before history. I and my colleagues are not the only ones on trial. Shell is here on trial and it is as well that it is represented by counsel said to be holding a watching brief. The Company has, indeed, ducked this particular trial, but its day will surely come and the lessons learnt here may prove useful to it for there is no doubt in my mind that the ecological war that the Company has waged in the Delta will be called to question sooner than later and the crimes of that war be duly punished. The crime of the Company's dirty wars against the Ogoni people will also be punished.

On trial also is the Nigerian nation, its present rulers and those who assist them. Any nation which can do to the weak and disadvantaged what the Nigerian nation has done to the Ogoni, loses a claim to independence and to freedom from outside influence. I am not one of those who shy away from protesting injustice and oppression, arguing that they are expected in a military regime. The military do not act alone. They are supported by a gaggle of politicians, lawyers, judges, academics and businessmen, all of them hiding under the claim that they are only doing their duty, men and women too afraid to wash their pants of urine.

We all stand on trial, my lord, for by our actions we have denigrated our Country and jeopardized the future of our children. As we subscribe to the sub-normal and accept double standards, as we lie and cheat openly, as we protect injustice and oppression, we empty our classrooms, denigrate our hospitals, fill our stomachs with hunger and elect to make ourselves the slaves of those who ascribe to higher standards, pursue the truth, and honour justice, freedom, and hard work. I predict that the scene here will be played and replayed by generations yet unborn. Some have already cast themselves in the role of villains, some are tragic victims, some still have a chance to redeem themselves. The choice is for each individual.

I predict that the denoument of the riddle of the Niger delta will soon come. The agenda is being set at this trial. Whether the peaceful ways I have favoured will prevail depends on what the oppressor decides, what signals it sends out to the waiting public.

In my innocence of the false charges I face Here, in my utter conviction, I call upon the Ogoni people, the peoples of the Niger delta, and the oppressed ethnic minorities of Nigeria to stand up now and fight fearlessly and peacefully for their rights. History is on their side. God is on their side. For the Holy Quran says in Sura 42, verse 41: "All those that fight when oppressed incur no guilt, but Allah shall punish the oppressor." Come the day.

Kenule Beeson Saro-Wiwa

Those where his last words

56 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Tolexander: 5:13am On Nov 10, 2013
Waoh!
Just like yesterday!

You can kill the messenger, but can't stop the message-ken saro wiwa!

5 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Tintedliz(f): 5:45am On Nov 10, 2013
Sir Ken, u will alwaiz be remembered!

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by wasak(m): 6:50am On Nov 10, 2013
what a lovely message. the speech portrays sincerity of purpose in contrast to what we have today! activism has been adulterated with criminality.

11 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by anthoniosp(m): 6:55am On Nov 10, 2013
so?? how datt one take call off strike??

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Nobody: 6:59am On Nov 10, 2013
The Niger Delta Region should name their new capital Saro Wiwa.

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by abbeycial: 7:05am On Nov 10, 2013
RIP SIR...so touching,we would definitely overcome our evil leaders soon,we shall bring dem down nd mete jungle justice on thieves like politicians who want to rob our posterity despite their incessant decadence of our generation.

so help us GOD.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Nobody: 7:12am On Nov 10, 2013
Its so unfortunate that the leaders of the niger delta have not deemed it fit to immortalize this great man and a freedom fighter. Its so shameful that a president who hails from the same region has not provided any meaningful development to the niger deltans! Will Ken Saro Wiwa's struggle for freedom and emancipation be in vain?

15 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by deeptesting(m): 7:19am On Nov 10, 2013
Peace be unto him and those he left behind.

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Danhumprey: 7:20am On Nov 10, 2013
And his name keep resonating!

In painful memory of a Niger Delta freedom fighter and activist, Ken Saro-Wiwa.

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Bacteriocin(m): 7:59am On Nov 10, 2013
anthoniosp: so?? how datt one take call off strike??
U r a retard!

Is it not part of what he said that brought the strike?
And even when they call off the strike, we still lack amidst our countless resources.
This is a wake up message.

7 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by huptin(m): 8:10am On Nov 10, 2013
ironically Sani Abacha, the man who killed you died shamefully less than 3 years after your death. Continue resting in peace Ken you were indeed a great man.

8 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by rusep: 8:28am On Nov 10, 2013
huptin: ironically Sani Abacha, the man who killed you died shamefully less than 3 years after your death. Continue resting in peace Ken you were indeed a great man.

A great man indeed? Ignorance is a disease, pls google how he makes his money from shell.

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by malele(m): 10:20am On Nov 10, 2013
The recent miltants we have in the nider delta has lost focus.
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by owolabifunke14(f): 10:23am On Nov 10, 2013
And some people will come here to say that military rule is better than civilian rule.

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Lilboots(m): 10:27am On Nov 10, 2013
Is the topic not misleading? Surely it's been 18 years and not 10. Ken Saro wiwa died on 10/11/1995. May his soul rest in peace

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Iceman296: 10:27am On Nov 10, 2013
He will Always be Remembered.

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Greaaat: 10:32am On Nov 10, 2013
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Big4wig(m): 10:34am On Nov 10, 2013
Eya,i wish i knew d man buh since i don't,i would dedicate a joke on his behalf.

TEACHER: If a lion is chasing you,
what would you
do?
STUDENT: I'd jump over the wall.
TEACHER: If the lion jumps over as
well?
STUDENT: I'd climb a tree.
TEACHER: If the lion climbs the
tree?
STUDENT: I will jump into the lake
and swim.
TEACHER: If the lion also jumps
into the water and
swims after you?
STUDENT: Sir, are you on my side
or on the lion's?

15 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Paularus(m): 10:34am On Nov 10, 2013
Eyaaaah,u'll always be remembered
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Dygeasy(m): 10:35am On Nov 10, 2013
anthoniosp: so?? how datt one take call off strike??

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by JubalTheophilus: 10:36am On Nov 10, 2013
Ken Saro Wiwa "GOODMORNIN".
U r a man of no vision if not u wld have seen what Ojukwu saw and hidded to his warnin and advice. A lesson 4 the pple of Niger delta & Jonathan.i repeat, "Divide this country". On Aburi we stand.

22 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by nagoma(m): 10:39am On Nov 10, 2013
"When victims refuse to be victims they are called terrorists".

Hon. Justice Suresh.

4 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by RoyalRoy(m): 10:41am On Nov 10, 2013
[size=16pt] Misleading front page topic. He died 1995 not 2003[/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by biggz82: 10:42am On Nov 10, 2013
Take the messanger but you can't take the message. Mr writer ken died ove 15 years ago not 10
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by oluakadinma: 10:42am On Nov 10, 2013
Originality reveals fake.Indeed activism has been adultrated with crimiality
Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by lightheart(m): 10:42am On Nov 10, 2013
rusep:

A great man indeed? Ignorance is a disease, pls google how he makes his money from shell.

Whether you did not hear its a remembrance for Ken Saro-Wiwa or you are speaking from the afterlife, I can't tell.

Chill.Reread.Understand!

2 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by pharmow: 10:51am On Nov 10, 2013
RIP Ken................Just like Martin Luther King Jr dreamt of a day when every race shall be treated equally in America and the country shall be led by a black man. Your dream and wish for Niger delta emancipation is in fruition Ken as Nigeria is now governed by Niger Delta son. You paid the big price of sacrificing your life, and you will always be remembered..............Continue to RIP Kenule "Ken" Beeson Saro Wiwa

@OP he died on November 10 1995 which makes it 18 years ago.

1 Like

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Nobody: 10:56am On Nov 10, 2013
Lilboots: Is the topic not misleading? Surely it's been 18 years and not 10. Ken Saro wiwa died on 10/11/1995. May his soul rest in peace

But the topic didn't say 10 years na, it says November 10

4 Likes

Re: Ken Saro Wiwa Was Executed Today By Hanging. Nov 10 Remembrance In D Niger Delta by Vicjay1(m): 10:56am On Nov 10, 2013
Nna. I don hear.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photos From The Swearing-in Of 43 Ministers By President Buhari / Cash Crunch: Senators, Reps Members Abandon Chambers In Search Of Money / Okoi Obono-Obla: "Biafra Referendum Legally & Politically Impossible"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.