Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,728 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant (10612 Views)

UBTH Records Second Stem Cell Transplant For Sickle Cell Patient / First Stem Cell Transplant In Nigeria / Engineered Stem Cells Kill HIV Infected Cells In A Living Organism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by taharqa: 8:25am On Nov 10, 2013
[size=16]UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant; Only such Centre in WA[/size]

The University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH) in Edo State, Nigeria on Friday said it had conducted the second successful stem cell transplant for a 15- year-old sickle cell patient in Benin.

Dr Nosakhare Bazuaye, consultant Haematologist and Coordinator of UBTH stem cell transplant centre, disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Benin.

NAN reports that UBTH is the only hospital in Nigeria and West African performing such transplant.

Bazuaye, who spoke on behalf of the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Prof. Michael Ibadin, said the operation was successful and that the patient’s genotype had change from SS to AA.

“In 2011, we announced our first transplant for a patient that had sickle cell disease.

“We have done a second successful transplant for a 15-year-old boy whose transplant took place 102 days ago.

“The first patient that was transplanted is two years post transplant now, his haemoglobin is AA and he is perfectly okay.

“By WHO regulations, patients are certified fit after 100 days of transplant, so the current patient is over a hundred day and his genotype is AA and has not had any crises since then.

“So with this, we are now discharging him to go home”, the consultant said.

Bazuaye said that the second transplant had to be conducted after two years due to inadequate facilities and financial constraints of the patients.

“We have about three per cent of Nigerians who have this sickle cell disease.

“We are hoping that the Federal Government and NGOs would put some money into establishing an international centre in UBTH to provide this mode of therapy for most Nigerians.

“We are happy that we have successfully done a second transplant.

“We are hopeful that with assistance from the Federal Government and NGOs, we will do more transplants and make transplant free and within the reach of most Nigerians.’’

The haematologist said that the therapy could also be used to cure other diseases like blood cancers, bone marrow failure, cancers of the bones and combined immune deficiency syndrome in children.

“For sickle cell transplant, it is better we do the transplant when the children are below 15 years old because at that age, there are usually less complications.

“But for diseases like cancers of the blood, people below 50 years can benefit from stem cell transplant,” he said.

He said that the first patient was paid for by the hospital, adding that ”we are expecting that subsequent patients should pay for their transplants.

“The second patient has been able to pay some part of the medical bills, and we are hoping that the remaining part of the bill would be paid and then he can go home,” he said.

http://businessdayonline.com/2013/11/uniben-teaching-hospital-records-second-stem-cell-transplant/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Capnd143(m): 8:35am On Nov 10, 2013
Its going to be a good development if and only if the supports them with financial aid and equipment. All the same its goodluck goodnews for nigeria till 2019

3 Likes

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by johndwayy(m): 11:29am On Nov 10, 2013
This is good news. The government and ministry of health should increase funding into stem cell research, so dat it will become cheaper and easily accessible.

3 Likes

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by taharqa: 1:16pm On Nov 10, 2013
I just dey laugh.....
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Nobody: 2:39pm On Nov 10, 2013
Great news! What is needed now is for govt to subsidize the procedure so that more people will benefit. These are the things govt should be subsidizing and not fuel.

Govt can also help incorporate stem cell transplant into the health insurance scheme.

But overall, prevention is better than cure. With more health education, we will have less and less cases of sickle cell anaemia.

Well done to all those that made it possible.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by taharqa: 10:50am On Nov 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Great news! What is needed now is for govt to subsidize the procedure so that more people will benefit. These are the things govt should be subsidizing and not fuel.

Govt can also help incorporate stem cell transplant into the health insurance scheme.

But overall, prevention is better than cure. With more health education, we will have less and less cases of sickle cell anaemia.

Yep...
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by signz: 11:33am On Nov 11, 2013
Does anybody know how much this stem cell procedure cost? I think UBTH should create more awareness about what they are doing as regards this Stem cell stuff.
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Nobody: 11:50am On Nov 11, 2013
taharqa: I just dey laugh.....

What's funny about it?

2 Likes

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by taharqa: 2:59pm On Nov 11, 2013
signz: Does anybody know how much this stem cell procedure cost? I think UBTH should create more awareness about what they are doing as regards this Stem cell stuff.
I think I read somewhere that it is better #1-#2 million naira per patient...
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by nnocurruption: 9:46am On Nov 12, 2013
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by 9jahubcom(m): 9:46am On Nov 12, 2013
good

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by everyday: 9:47am On Nov 12, 2013
The health sector in Nigeria is gradually developing

3 Likes

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by SpaceAngel: 9:48am On Nov 12, 2013
At least there is some hope locally for people ravaged by this ruthless genetic disease. I just pray the doctors will not leave for greener pastures. May God bless them.

1 Like

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by JustHector(m): 9:48am On Nov 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Great news! What is needed now is for govt to subsidize the procedure so that more people will benefit. These are the things govt should be subsidizing and not fuel.

It's high time something good happened in Nija

1 Like

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by femogbangba: 9:50am On Nov 12, 2013
The most pertinent question is will Jonathan or Shepopo or any member of their family go to UBTH to undergo a stem cell transplant?

The last time shepopo had headache, we didnt see her for weeks cus she was being treated abroad.

1 Like

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Nobody: 9:50am On Nov 12, 2013
Nice one from UBTH.

1 Like

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by FILEBE(m): 9:53am On Nov 12, 2013
Pls. Someone shuld pls educate us about stem cells transplant. Dnt tell me to check Google o. I prefer the the summary.
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by SpaceAngel: 9:55am On Nov 12, 2013
Talk about positive side of things and forget about where Jonathan will treat himself or his family, the main thing is that sick ones have some element of hope.

femogbangba: The most pertinent question is will Jonathan or Shepopo or any member of their family go to UBTH to undergo a stem cell transplant?

The last time shepopo had headache, we didnt see her for weeks cus she was being treated abroad.

3 Likes

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by signz: 9:56am On Nov 12, 2013
taharqa: I think I read somewhere that it is better #1-#2 million naira per patient...

Ok... Thanks
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by codeworks(m): 9:57am On Nov 12, 2013
FILEBE: Pls. Someone shuld pls educate us about stem cells transplant. Dnt tell me to check Google o. I prefer the the summary.

kindly check google for brief/summary thank you
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Adamskuty(m): 9:57am On Nov 12, 2013
femogbangba: The most pertinent question is will Jonathan or Shepopo or any member of their family go to UBTH to undergo a stem cell transplant?

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Nobody: 10:01am On Nov 12, 2013

can Nigerial ever move forward when we keep mourning and whinning and nagging? Bro. no matter how standard our health system is upgraded to, people would still fly out for medical treatment. same reason why you hardly find black indigeneous pillots flying planes in Nigeria..... Blacks dont trust Blacks.. They believe the whites are super human. so upgrade the health system to 100%..people would still fly out. but that should not be an excuse for neglecting the health sector sha.
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by iterator25: 10:01am On Nov 12, 2013
FILEBE: Pls. Someone shuld pls educate us about stem cells transplant. Dnt tell me to check Google o. I prefer the the summary.
you're the one pulling Nigeria backwards sad
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by sharawwy(m): 10:02am On Nov 12, 2013
Good for dem
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Elueme: 10:04am On Nov 12, 2013
There is hope. More awareness is all that is needed and Ubth will be the hub of stem cell replacement therapy I'm sub Sahara Africa. Things like this gives us more honor among the comity of nations and I sincerely hope government does everything to support it

3 Likes

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Elueme: 10:05am On Nov 12, 2013
sharawwy: Good for dem
so it is not good for you. Hope say no be bad belle due do you?
Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by igbsam(m): 10:05am On Nov 12, 2013
UBTH should publicize this and create awareness......I bet they would receive more supports from NGOs and firms out there. This is a breakthrough for the Nigerian Health Sector. If only our government would be wise enough to fund this, but never, they would rather choose to buy bulletproof cars at an outrageous amount.

Other countries out Nigeria can even come down here and patronize us.

The Government should wake up!

1 Like

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by agidachris: 10:11am On Nov 12, 2013
I am so happy with this scienctific breakthrough,,if only this can be supported by govt. N private individuals at large, the issue of brain drain will be tackle n the quest for science n technological advancement will be achieve..God bless, UBTH, Godbless Jonathan...

1 Like

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 12, 2013
I love uniben, I love UBTH. Our lecturer found the cure for AIDS, people started insulting him, saying all sorts of things.

To show we have good lecturers and doctors in UBTH, we solve our problems ourselves.

Be a Doctor and Heal the world!

1 Like

Re: UBTH Records 2nd Stem Cell Transplant by taharqa: 10:13am On Nov 12, 2013
signz:

Ok... Thanks
Thank you too..... Although, I heard from d NTA and that d actual total cost for this particular operation was #2.5million (although d UBTH would bear some of this cost). It seems the cost was increased this time around. The young boy in question was interviewed in that news item, and he has not been released cos he has not been able to fully pay his part of d cost... There has to be a Subsidy (Or rather a Susport System) that significantly reduces the associated costs for patients. Sickle Cell Ameania is a 'Black man' disease; and Nigeria has d largest carriers worldwide...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is The Best Cure For Eczema And Black Spots / NSCDC Officer Dies Of Lassa Fever In Yola (Photos) / Monkeypox: Averting Another Epidemic In Nigeria (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.