Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,987 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work (29729 Views)

Container Falls Off Ojuelegba Bridge, Lands On Danfo Bus [PHOTOS] / 5 Kinds Of Nigerian Drivers To Keep-0ff! / Danfo Drivers/conductors To Wear Uniforms And Badges In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Indifferent(m): 4:50am On Nov 12, 2013
Fashola don come again, this time not for okada but Danfo
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Jabioro: 4:53am On Nov 12, 2013
Delusion dream..dis pple wan kill demselves..mtshewwwwww
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by lee007(m): 4:55am On Nov 12, 2013
Clap for your self o jare...you have done very well....in simple plain English, you are obviously not from the SW, I have never seen any topic about anything meaningful coming out from where you are from, talk less of people having the privilege to criticize it, just sit there and be writing thesis about what Lagos or Fashola could have or should have done.

Just like the SW was way ahead of the rest of Nigeria after the 1st Republic, the same is repeating itself...stop this Lagos Crusade, If you don't like it, take time like you have taken here and write straight to his office....Ode!

When any issue on Lagos or Fashola come up all of you will suddenly turn analyst..sooo irritating!!!

Uyi Iredia:

Miles ahead and far behind Johanessburg. In fact, that's too much. Cairo, damn, again too much. Accra will do. Better light, less corruption and better name.

Okay.

What way have they ? And you are yet to maje a counter-point. Or should I assume you are not half as smart as Fashola ?

Oh shut up. This one calls for criticism. I have praised the government where I think or am sure they made sense.

So that's it. An empty rant that fails at rebutting my points. Come back when you are not as stüpid as Fashola when it comes to certain laws eg this one. Tell how the state will for example, not hurt the pocket of the drivers or commuter with this law.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Nobody: 5:23am On Nov 12, 2013
eledalo: I'm less concerned with these strange policies of LSG, than the POOR implementation:
Since 2007, LSG has banned:
Truck pushers
Street traders
Hawkers
Okadas (on many routes)
Parking on the road
Conductors hanging off buses.

BUT THEY HAVE TOTALLY FAILED IN ENFORCING EACH AND EVERY ONE!
but what's this one saying
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by tunde1200(m): 5:45am On Nov 12, 2013
Godyke: All we read and hear everyday is clamp down on those who carry out legitimate means of livelihood. Nobody is talking about the same traffic law that prohibits the national union and their Agbero counterparts from forcefully collecting money from commercial motorists at every bus stops, highways and places other than major garages. Or have that part of the law been put on hold until after 2015 election.

Thank you for these your coments exactly what is on my mind you wrote...
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by bebechuks: 5:48am On Nov 12, 2013
8 hours, lasgidis keeee?
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by miftah: 5:50am On Nov 12, 2013
This is a good and well presented program, but when will the registration begin? you want to start impounding vehicles by January 2014 if they did not abide by the ruel, fyn.

I will suggest this man should find a way of curtailing all this IYA ONIPARAGA, OLOPA EYIN, ALOMBO and the rest selling all sort of diff brand of alcohol in the garage afta dis, I will go wit you.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by PrinceJustice(m): 5:55am On Nov 12, 2013
Keneking: How much can eight hours of commercial driving fetch the common man? Fifty percent of the period is dedicated to traffic and queues at the bus park. I knew this would happen when BRT was introduced in Nigeria. I agree to eating and smoking fine.

Back to the eight hour work policy, who shall be the timekeeper for the drivers? Will the odometer be monitored per trip or how? Most of the
Vanagon buses are even analogue in terms of configuration. In short, this policy has a lot of gap and lacuna.What is the policy of overloading of these bus?

Anyway, I am impressed with the follow-up on the Lagos State Traffic Law by this Commissioner. In short, if he can curtail the excesses of these operators - Okada riders, Keke riders and commercial bus drivers, I foresee a likely successor to Governor Fashola.
Ways of increasing INTERNALLY GENERATED REVENUE for the state

1 Like

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by twinskenny(m): 6:14am On Nov 12, 2013
beauty&Brains:
8hrs? Oh really? I have just one question, when does it start and when does it end? Cuz by 4am you have lagosians trying to get to work in a bid to bit traffic and get there early. If its 8hrs, from 4am by 11am work ends? No buses? Did people really sit to think about it? I'm lost, this is a very ill-thought out plan sorry to say. It makes absolute no sense.. None what so ever.. So when does the 8hrs end? And what happens to the citizens stranded on the road? Citizens who do not own cars? This is a joke. A bad joke.

this policy wont work... imagine!!!! the masses will surfer the consequences...
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by miftah: 6:16am On Nov 12, 2013
lastpage:

Those TOUTS work for Opeifa and Fashola and his God Father 'Tinubu' so nothing will be done about them.

It just amazes me when these clowns in govt just do a "COPY AND PASTE" of legislation from overseas, into Nigeria, not taking into consideration our "peculiar environmental issues" that differ greatly from where they are copying from and creates a different set of scenario, for such laws!

8-HRS working time is very desirable and is obtainable in most advanced countries but hey, those drivers can organize their 8-hrs properly,
They can predict their income almost to the last dollar for those 8-hrs
They dont have Agbero to contend with, within that 8-hrs
They dont have "official LGA Touts to deal with within that 8-Hrs
They dont have to spend half of that 8-hrs in unending traffic snarls
They dont have useless Policemen shooting at them with life bullets if they dont part with part of their 8-hr income
They have a "social benefit" system which cushions their income of 8-hrs, should the unexpected happen
Their "car-testing and certification" really works unlike ours where the Govt is only interested in the "Testing Fee" and nothing more!
They dont operate within a Govt that closes down their wife's stall and every opportunity the Governors wife farts or his cronies cough!

I can go on and on but it is not necessary.

Our leaders are past their sell-by date, not fit ofr purpose and completely EXPIRED!
8-hrs working time is not top of the list of this govts problem.

For emphasis, build more roads (not those one-season, rain-wash-away make-overs called roads) and open up access for smoother traffic
*Create alternative to road traffic, buod 4th mainland Bridge and other roads. Main Rail and Light rail inter-city systems is needed.
*Stop buying over-used and written-off Buses as new ones to be used as BRT. Buy good and new Buses as obtained abroad.
*Remove all your street urchins from the road.
*Lets have stable power as a priority and other things will follow.
FInally, stop arming thugs for your political rascality, it comes back to hurt the populace ... and your own family, if not you, as well.

I don commot this thread.

Lastpage!
I luv dis, nice 1, I hope they reason along wit us and make amendment before it`s too late.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Nobody: 6:20am On Nov 12, 2013
Psalmuelh2o:
What is nice abt this? Fashola is just doing rubbish,he banned okadas without making provision for them,these things ar having negative effect on the masses,8hrs for what? #rubbish concept #stupid idea.leave dem alone if dey can work 4 24hrs its none of his biz,let dem b registered #dats all.which danfo go con dey carry us go house? #oshi goverment #cant wait to cast my vote for any other party come 2015,we've had enuf of AD/AC/ACN/APC in lagos state, we nid a change.
What is this one saying? So what other alternative do you want when there is Keke Napep and okada still plying inner roads? I suppose you have never had a broken leg as a result of Okada. As for the danfo buses registratio, that is the best thing to ever happen in sanitizing Lagos City.A gradual end to "one chance" ritual kidnappers and other criminal intents using the commercial buses is in sight. Sure the truth is they can't monitor all the thousands employed as the drivers but it'll bring some level of sanity into the business. Lets stop behavng as if we are still in the stone age....
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by talktimi(m): 6:21am On Nov 12, 2013
lee007: This is why Lagos is miles head of other states of the country....didn't I read from this same nairaland that BRT will not last one year, same Idiot are queuing up to take a ride in it every morning. Before throwing the idea away, do you think Lagos strategist are that lazy like you guys in the SS/SE who won't have a way to implement their plan?

You people's case is like a man who never sees anything good about his neighbor even though the man is doing better than him.

By the way If you dont like Lagos move to Bayelsa...at least there is fresh air there......awon oni kobo kobo....smh

wetin carry SS/SE enter this topic again, must you always look for a means to tribalize threads ?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by unmask: 6:22am On Nov 12, 2013
there are a lot of unanswered questions concerning the 8-hr law.....so it's funny that a lot of people are already talking bad about the government, when the explanation of how the law would work is yet to come to light....

My take on the lagos transport situation is taxing cars off the road after making brt and some other means of transport (rail and water) in good, appealing and efficient order..... That way more people would either be forced or willingly decide to leave their cars at home
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Nobody: 6:28am On Nov 12, 2013
nnocurruption: These dumb leaders just keep making life difficult for the common people in Nigeria they keep reducing job opportunities and making Nigeria more rigid and almost impossible to survive.
Now here is the fact everyone has his elastic limit despite the fact that most Nigerias are intimidated by the system of government we Practice "government of intimidation and threat not democracy" someday Nigerias will bounce back and this counter will finally divide.
please o.. .do you stay in Lagos? If yes do you drive a danfo bus? Do you smoke weed with abgeros?do u involve in one chance and other form of "runs"? But if your answe if "NO" to all of the above then you absolutely know nothing of what is being talked about here
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by 1daboi: 6:33am On Nov 12, 2013
If Danfo drivers are restricted to 8 hrs a day, I think this will make the drivers to increase their speed so as to meet up therefore endangering the lives of Lagosians . My thought

1 Like

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Nobody: 6:33am On Nov 12, 2013
I'm very sure that a real commuter in lagos state today will take a deep thinking before concluding on condemning lasg on this, forget that the other side of it may equally bounce back on commuter our road also need to be traffic free! U pple should think na , do u know how many veichle struggle to find it way out of every lagos road everyday?, at every destination of all this long hill traffic we face shows the cause was because of too many veichle on the road my main concern is that lasg is just being unfair oppressing only public transport workers using it road the rule should apply to everybody I know a man that line up all is three cars to his office everyday! All of this things need to be monitored what ever excuse I'm cool with it lasg should make happen ASAP!
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by usability100: 6:39am On Nov 12, 2013
This is very simple, a driver cannot drive for 8hrs stretch in a day, not a driver cannot drive for 8 hours in a day meaning if he drives for 4hrs, he can park and rest for 1hr, then continue until he parks finally for the day

In the UK, drivers stops on the way in service stations or coach stations for break or change, for instance a trip from London to Machester on National Express coach, driver stops in midland cities like Birmingham or Wolverhampton which is about 3, 4 hrs from London to rest or change.

I think this is a standard practise around the world, it should be encouaraged especially for those night buses doing Lagos to Abuja with just one driver all night

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by azyaq(m): 6:41am On Nov 12, 2013
It is easy to implement any law in there so called traffic law but that of the̶̲̥̅̊ Agbero's (touts) is not easy to implement because they collet return frm them or let's say they aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ above the̶̲̥̅̊ law. Na only poor man the̶̲̥̅̊ laws useful for, •⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵̭̌✽̤̥̈̊‎​•G̲̣̣̣̥ÔD̶̲̥̅̊•✽̤̥̈̊‎​·̵̭̌·̵̭̌«̶⌣ D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ sha.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by everyday: 6:45am On Nov 12, 2013
Lagos will soon be a mega city
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by eluquenson(m): 6:49am On Nov 12, 2013
So Eko oni baje undecided
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Okijajuju1(m): 6:49am On Nov 12, 2013
Great Law...

Especially the part that deals with insurance that covers passengers. The insurance cover should not be less than 50'k fper passenger. Also the insurance should cover accidents that involves other drivers. I would say the government should even list the approved insurance companies to be used sef, to avoid all these paper insurance companies.

8hrs... I hope the FG can apply this law to long haul and interstate transporters like Chisco and co (esp tanker drivers).

Good law... Implementation and enforcement is going to be the real issue.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by talktimi(m): 6:57am On Nov 12, 2013
usability100: This is very simple, a driver cannot drive for 8hrs stretch in a day, not a driver cannot drive for 8 hours in a day meaning if he drives for 4hrs, he can park and rest for 1hr, then continue until he parks finally for the day

In the UK, drivers stops on the way in service stations or coach stations for break or change, for instance a trip from London to Machester on National Express coach, driver stops in midland cities like Birmingham or Wolverhampton which is about 3, 4 hrs from London to rest or change.

I think this is a standard practise around the world, it should be encouaraged especially for those night buses doing Lagos to Abuja with just one driver all night
it has long been in practice for inter state journeys within Nigeria, the new scenario we are talking about is for intra state/inner city commercial drivers and i dont believe the claim that many accidents involving danfo drivers are caused by drowsiness at least until verifiable statistics are provided. I personally know that most danfo accidents are caused by reckless drivers and or faulty mechanicals like brake failure due to poor maintenance of vehicles which puts the vio, mot & road safety officials under a bad spotlight.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by tunergy(m): 7:04am On Nov 12, 2013
ipasco: Good thinking i must say, by The way did u school in lagos??

Its the driver that is monitored not his vehicle. Read btw the line. This is a common practise in europe. And its a good development.
Kudos
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by hotwax: 7:12am On Nov 12, 2013
But if its England that impose this law, you slaves will abide by it and even be happy with it.

Hopeless slaves. Anything Lagos do is gorilla law. And there are worst laws in the UK and US that you can't question.

Tribal baboons
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by omanifrank(m): 7:19am On Nov 12, 2013
no wahala
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by kay4all(m): 7:21am On Nov 12, 2013
laykhorn: §illy you!
Do you reside in Lagos?
How do you even think?
If a Danfo driver works on Road axis Oshodi to Iyana-Ipaja(most drivers do way more than this), It shouldnt take him more than 20minutes excluding external constraints like Traffic-jam etc. Thats Like N100 multiplied by passengers which I'm pressuming to be just 12(they could be more than this). Now, Lets assume he did this just 10 times( or more), do the mathematics.. Hell No! Thats pretty good for a day.
Making an average of 10-20K a day isnt that bad but how come most of them still look tattered with such monetary revenue?

One or more of this is involved; Alcohol, Adultery or General Mismanagement of fund etc
so you think you av done a vibrant calculation. How dare u externalise traffic. Wot of competition among other drivers who will choose to work the same hours with the man in concern? Bro, lets be realistic with our self this kind of policy does not benfit the mass as it will bring abt increament in transport fare. Dont get twisted if oshodi to iyana ipaja becomes #300.
Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by kay4all(m): 7:21am On Nov 12, 2013
Do you reside in Lagos?
How do you even think?
If a Danfo driver works on Road axis Oshodi to Iyana-Ipaja(most drivers do way more than this), It shouldnt take him more than 20minutes excluding external constraints like Traffic-jam etc. Thats Like N100 multiplied by passengers which I'm pressuming to be just 12(they could be more than this). Now, Lets assume he did this just 10 times( or more), do the mathematics.. Hell No! Thats pretty good for a day.
Making an average of 10-20K a day isnt that bad but how come most of them still look tattered with such monetary revenue?

One or more of this is involved; Alcohol, Adultery or General Mismanagement of fund etc
so you think you av done a vibrant calculation. How dare u externalise traffic. Wot of competition among other drivers who will choose to work the same hours with the man in concern? Bro, lets be realistic with our self this kind of policy does not benfit the mass as it will bring abt increament in transport fare. Dont get twisted if oshodi to iyana ipaja becomes #300.
Do you reside in Lagos?
How do you even think?

Re: Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work by Delafruita(m): 7:27am On Nov 12, 2013
Psalmuelh2o:
What is nice abt this? Fashola is just doing rubbish,he banned okadas without making provision for them,these things ar having negative effect on the masses,8hrs for what? #rubbish concept #stupid idea.leave dem alone if dey can work 4 24hrs its none of his biz,let dem b registered #dats all.which danfo go con dey carry us go house? #oshi goverment #cant wait to cast my vote for any other party come 2015,we've had enuf of AD/AC/ACN/APC in lagos state, we nid a change.
how will anyne in his right senses assume its alright for commercial bus drivers to work 24hrs at a stretch?methinks comprehension is the major problem of some people.the law explicitly states 8hrs at a STRETCH meaning the focus is that there should be breaks.these drivers should be encouraged to take 2-3 hrs in a day to calm their nerves and regain focus and concentration.most drivers of danfo remain at the wheel all day.they even eat at the wheel which does nothing but put commuters lives at risk.

For those talking about enforcing the law,we are all witnesses to the fact that when fashola sets his mind on a course,he makes a law and always finds a way to enforce it.in this case,implementation might be via the unions.whichever the case,this is a good law and should be supported by all and sundry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Vehicle History Tips / How To Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner (Photos) / Innoson Acquires Robot Equipment, Increases Production Capacity To 60,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.