Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,880 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? (6161 Views)

Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? / Why Dont Christians Celebrate Eid El Kabir/ Eid Al Adha / Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Nov 13, 2013
Unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood,you will never have life in you~Jesus Christ.

My flesh is real food and my blood is real blood~Jesus christ

St ignatius of antioch one of the apostolic fathers. Was a direct successor of the apostles.He had the benefit of hearing directly from the apostles himself.his words echoes with the above words of Jesus Christ and the teachings of the holy Catholic church.I will rather go with them than abide with the teachings of Charles Russel
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by Pygru: 7:32pm On Nov 13, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

The Catholic Church means the universal Church at large and not the Roman Catholic Church that it came to be.

It is also unfortunate that the Roman Catholic Church now bows at the alter of Charles Darwin by believing and teaching the theory of evolution in explaining the beginning of all things which has now turned people's mind away from God. undecided
grin grin grin
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:53pm On Nov 13, 2013
chukwudi44:

Unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood,you will never have life in you~Jesus Christ.

St ignatius of antioch one of the apostolic fathers. Was a direct successor of the apostles.He had the benefit of hearing directly from the apostles himself.his words echoes with the above words of Jesus Christ and the teachings of the holy Catholic church.I will rather go with them than abide with the teachings of Charles Russel

Only a madman will say that folks should eat his flesh and drink his blood in a literal sense. Lets read it in its proper context:

"Then Jesus said to them, Verily verily, I say to you, Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoso eats my flesh and drinks my blood, has eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day" (John 6:53-54).

When you ought to take the word of God literally you will take it as a figure of speech and vice versa. Our Lord Jesus Christ wasn't advocating cannibalism here. He was speaking in a spiritual sense. Just as we need to eat and drink in order to live, so we must "eat" the Bread of life (John 6:48, 51) and "drink" His "blood, which is shed for you" (Luke 22:20) in order to have spiritual life.

Unless we trust in Christ, relying on Him daily for our life nourishment, we have no life in us and remain dead in our sins.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by Joshthefirst(m): 8:13pm On Nov 13, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Only a madman will say that folks should eat his flesh and drink his blood in a literal sense. Lets read it in its proper context:

"Then Jesus said to them, Verily verily, I say to you, Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoso eats my flesh and drinks my blood, has eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day" (John 6:53-54).

When you ought to take the word of God literally you will take it as a figure of speech and vice versa. Our Lord Jesus Christ wasn't advocating cannibalism here. He was speaking in a spiritual sense. Just as we need to eat and drink in order to live, so we must "eat" the Bread of life (John 6:48, 51) and "drink" His "blood, which is shed for you" (Luke 22:20) in order to have spiritual life.

Unless we trust in Christ, relying on Him daily for our life nourishment, we have no life in us and remain dead in our sins.
thank you for telling him abeg. These guys want us to eat Jesus everyday and drink his blood literally! grin
Nawa o.
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 13, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Bros that verse was explicit enough!! To further reinforce it he said again "my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink".Even the apostles initially found it hard to take and wanted to walk away!!

Ignatius was an eye witness to the apostles and a matyr for the gospel.I will rather go with his testimony than abide with the teachings of that liar and false prophet called Charles Russell
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Nov 13, 2013
f "my flesh is real food" was a metaphor, why did many of Jesus' disciples desert him?

John 6:53-55: Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them." . . . 66 From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

It doesn't seem reasonable that a poetic image would drive away disciples.
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:27pm On Nov 13, 2013
chukwudi44:

Bros that verse was explicit enough!! To further reinforce it he said again "my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink".Even the apostles initially found it hard to take and wanted to walk away!!

Ignatius was an eye witness to the apostles and a matyr for the gospel.I will rather go with his testimony than abide with the teachings of that liar and false prophet called Charles Russell

You should rather listen to our Lord Jesus Christ and live. Here He stresses again and I quote:

"Verily, verily I say to you, If a man keeps my saying, he shall never see death" (John 8:51)

You find it difficult to understand the spiritual sayings of our Lord Jesus Christ just as His detractors in those days.

Anyone who obeys Him would not die. This is not advocating works as a means of salvation, but obedience as a sign of our salvation. We keep His word because we love Him (John 14:23).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by Enigma(m): 8:36pm On Nov 13, 2013
From another one made earlier! smiley

On Jesus as literal bread, how about John 6:51 --- "I am the living bread that came down from heaven". smiley

I don't know oooo and maybe it is just me but somehow somehow it just does not seem that Jesus is talking about slice, jija, or Agege bread or even wafer in that passage!

grin

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by Joshthefirst(m): 8:42pm On Nov 13, 2013
Enigma: From another one made earlier! smiley

On Jesus as literal bread, how about John 6:51 --- "I am the living bread that came down from heaven". smiley

I don't know oooo and maybe it is just me but somehow somehow it just does not seem that Jesus is talking about slice, jija, or Agege bread or even wafer in that passage!

grin
grin grin grin
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by Enigma(m): 8:46pm On Nov 13, 2013
If we no see Agege bread, maybe we will see 'pure water'?

John 7

37 On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.” 39 By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

Ah, but Bible tell us say no be 'pure water' now! Jesus actual meant --- the Spirit!

Ah, I see! It is a spiritual thing! smiley

grin
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Nov 13, 2013
1 Corinthians 11:23-30

New International Version (NIV)

23 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

27 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves. 30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.

The big question here is how can one be guilty of taking the body and blood unworthily when the bread and wine are not Jesus's body and blood? How did the people Paul described in the passage above sin against Jesus's body
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Nov 13, 2013
The early church fathers also agreed on the real presense of God in the eucharist.

ST. JUSTIN MARTYR  (Alt)

St. Justin Martyr was born a pagan but converted to Christianity after studying philosophy. He was a prolific writer and many Church scholars consider him the greatest apologist or defender of the faith from the 2nd century. He was beheaded with six of his companions some time between 163 and 167 A.D.

"This food we call the Eucharist, of which no one is allowed to partake except one who believes that the things we teach are true, and has received the washing for forgiveness of sins and for rebirth, and who lives as Christ handed down to us. For we do not receive these things as common bread or common drink; but as Jesus Christ our Savior being incarnate by God's Word took flesh and blood for our salvation, so also we have been taught that the food consecrated by the Word of prayer which comes from him, from which our flesh and blood are nourished by transformation, is the flesh and blood of that incarnate Jesus."

"First Apology", Ch. 66, inter A.D. 148-155.

"God has therefore announced in advance that all the sacrifices offered in His name, which Jesus Christ offered, that is, in the Eucharist of the Bread and of the Chalice, which are offered by us Christians in every part of the world, are pleasing to Him."

"Dialogue with Trypho", Ch. 117, circa 130-160 A.D.

Moreover, as I said before, concerning the sacrifices which you at that time offered, God speaks through Malachias, one of the twelve, as follows: 'I have no pleasure in you, says the Lord; and I will not accept your sacrifices from your hands; for from the rising of the sun until its setting, my name has been glorified among the gentiles; and in every place incense is offered to my name, and a clean offering: for great is my name among the gentiles, says the Lord; but you profane it.' It is of the sacrifices offered to Him in every place by us, the gentiles, that is, of the Bread of the Eucharist and likewise of the cup of the Eucharist, that He speaks at that time; and He says that we glorify His name, while you profane it."

-"Dialogue with Trypho", [41: 8-10]

ST. IRENAEUS OF LYONS  (Alt)

St. Irenaeus succeeded St. Pothinus to become the second bishop of Lyons in 177 A.D. Earlier in his life he studied under St. Polycarp. Considered, one of the greatest theologians of the 2nd century, St. Irenaeus is best known for refuting the Gnostic heresies.

[Christ] has declared the cup, a part of creation, to be his own Blood, from which he causes our blood to flow; and the bread, a part of creation, he has established as his own Body, from which he gives increase to our bodies."

Source: St. Irenaeus of Lyons, Against Heresies, 180 A.D.:

"So then, if the mixed cup and the manufactured bread receive the Word of God and become the Eucharist, that is to say, the Blood and Body of Christ, which fortify and build up the substance of our flesh, how can these people claim that the flesh is incapable of receiving God's gift of eternal life, when it is nourished by Christ's Blood and Body and is His member? As the blessed apostle says in his letter to the Ephesians, 'For we are members of His Body, of His flesh and of His bones' (Eph. 5:30). He is not talking about some kind of 'spiritual' and 'invisible' man, 'for a spirit does not have flesh an bones' (Lk. 24:39). No, he is talking of the organism possessed by a real human being, composed of flesh and nerves and bones. It is this which is nourished by the cup which is His Blood, and is fortified by the bread which is His Body. The stem of the vine takes root in the earth and eventually bears fruit, and 'the grain of wheat falls into the earth' (Jn. 12:24), dissolves, rises again, multiplied by the all-containing Spirit of God, and finally after skilled processing, is put to human use. These two then receive the Word of God and become the Eucharist, which is the Body and Blood of Christ."

-"Five Books on the Unmasking and Refutation of the Falsely

Named Gnosis". Book 5:2, 2-3, circa 180 A.D. "For just as the bread which comes from the earth, having received the invocation of God, is no longer ordinary bread, but the Eucharist, consisting of two realities, earthly and heavenly, so our bodies, having received the Eucharist, are no longer corruptible, because they have the hope of the resurrection."

-"Five Books on the Unmasking and Refutation of the Falsely named Gnosis". Book 4:18 4-5, circa 180 A.D.
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by Zikkyy(m): 9:59pm On Nov 13, 2013
Na wa o! i thought this thread was bout Christmas angry you people don scatter this thread, there is no way i can contribute now angry

instead of fighting over copyright or trademark infringement, why don't you guys fight over who going to prepare the best dish on December 25th so i know who to visit grin

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by Enigma(m): 8:14am On Nov 14, 2013
Zikky bros, I jos nefa sure say I go dey Naija for Christmas odawise I go say make we try chop ram togeda. grin
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by ichuka(m): 9:08am On Nov 14, 2013
[quote
author=Zikkyy]Na wa o! i thought this thread was bout Christmas angry
you people don scatter this thread, there is no way i can contribute now
angry

instead of fighting over copyright or trademark infringement, why don't
you guys fight over who going to prepare the best dish on December 25th
so i know who to visit grin[/quote]
Lolcheesycheesycheesy
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by Loveaflame(m): 12:35pm On Nov 14, 2013
Can the op please show us where Christmas was celebrated in the New Testament by the Disciples of Christ.
Secondly,in which year was the first Christmas held.
Thanks will be waiting eagerly for your answers.
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by Polio: 12:36pm On Nov 14, 2013
The question should be... Was Jesus born on the 25th of December?

If not, who selected the date? and isnt this a big fat fu..cking lie about the prophet of God's birthdate?

I need answers please!
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:39pm On Nov 14, 2013
Loveaflame:

Can the op please show us where Christmas was celebrated in the New Testament by the Disciples of Christ.
Secondly,in which year was the first Christmas held.
Thanks will be waiting eagerly for your answers.

Your objections has been dealt with in the OP.

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by loveroftruth: 4:59pm On Nov 14, 2013
chukwudi44: @Oladegbu

your Ignorance is very large.

Is that the way kind of truth you have been dishing out to NL ?

That Oladegbu is a Jw ?

Now we know the kind of truth you are capable of.

Am surprise that someone like you can defend a religiouse body.

2 Likes

Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by loveroftruth: 5:01pm On Nov 14, 2013
My friend! Your ignoramce knows no bounds and seems to be increasimg by the day.

The only thing you seem capable pf doing is post lies on NL.

Is Oladegbu a JW ?

Olodo where you part of the Church Ignatius described? Do you beleive in thereal presence of Christ in the Eucharist.I see the Catholic church has become a very popular brand that even JWs cannot resist identifying with it.

That above is a big fat lie, Oladegbu from my Investigation is most likely a Deeper lifer, why and how came you come out here to lie and black mail the Jw saying Oladegbu is a Jw ? Is making your home work no longer a course of wisdom ?

Well, no wonder you swallow all the ......... That Roman Chatholic church tell you without the common sense to research them like the Bereans did.

Continue grouping in darkness, its your life.

How can you ever in your life say/insinuate that the Jw are trying to be catholic ?

Bros, you dey blonder big time for saying that, cause Jw cant claim such or wish for it. You fall your hands well!

chukwudi44:

Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by loveroftruth: 5:15pm On Nov 14, 2013

Olodo where you part of the Church Ignatius described? Do you beleive in thereal presence of Christ in the Eucharist. I see the Catholic church has become a very popular brand that even JWs cannot resist identifying with it.

Smh for Ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by MyJoe: 10:28pm On Nov 14, 2013
loveroftruth: My friend! Your ignoramce knows no bounds and seems to be increasimg by the day.

The only thing you seem capable pf doing is post lies on NL.

Is Oladegbu a JW ?

That above is a big fat lie, Oladegbu from my Investigation is most likely a Deeper lifer, why and how came you come out here to lie and black mail the Jw saying Oladegbu is a Jw ? Is making your home work no longer a course of wisdom ?
Lol. There must be something about this OLAADEGBU that really gets peeps inebriated. In another thread a JW was calling him a Catholic just to get at Catholics. Now we have a Catholic calling him a JW just to score a point against JWs! grin

1 Like

Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by italo: 12:26am On Nov 15, 2013
"Unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood,you will never have life in you"--Jesus Christ.

"My flesh is real food; my blood is real drink."--Jesus Christ.

We shouldn't keep and obey these sayings too?

OLAADEGBU:

You should rather listen to our Lord Jesus Christ and live. Here He stresses again and I quote:

"Verily, verily I say to you, If a man keeps my saying, he shall never see death" (John 8:51)

You find it difficult to understand the spiritual sayings of our Lord Jesus Christ just as His detractors in those days.

Anyone who obeys Him would not die. This is not advocating works as a means of salvation, but obedience as a sign of our salvation. We keep His word because we love Him (John 14:23).
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:01pm On Nov 20, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Should Christians Celebrate Christmas?

Every year around Christmas time, serious concerns are voiced regarding the validity of celebrating Christmas. Some note that the origins of Christmas are pagan, others point out that the Bible overtly denounces Christmas trees as idolatrous, and still others suggest that Santa Claus is a dangerous fairy tale.

In response let me first acknowledge that when Christmas was originally instituted, December 25 was indeed a pagan festival commemorating the birthday of a false god. While this is historical fact, what is frequently overlooked is that the church's choice of December 25 was intentional. Instead of Christianizing a pagan festival, the church established a rival celebration. While the world has all but forgotten the Greco-Roman gods of antiquity, they are annually reminded that two thousand years ago Christ invaded time and space.

Furthermore, the Bible nowhere condemns Christmas trees as idolatrous. The oft-cited passage in Jeremiah 10:2–4 might at first blush appear compelling, but context precludes the pretext. Jeremiah's description of a tree cut out of the forest adorned with silver and gold and fastened with a hammer and nails so that it would not totter is a reference to wooden idols, not Christmas trees. In fact, Christmas trees originated in Christian Germany two thousand years after Jeremiah's condemnation of man-made idols. They evolved over time from two Christian traditions. One was a "paradise tree" hung with apples as a reminder of the tree of life in the garden of Eden. The other was a triangular shelf holding Christmas figurines decorated by a star. In the sixteenth century, these two symbols merged into the present Christmas tree tradition. Next Christmas you might well consider using the Christmas tree in the home of an unbeliever as a springboard or opportunity to explain the reason for the season from the fall in Paradise to redemption in Christ.

Finally, believe it or not, even Santa can be saved! Far from merely being a dangerous fairy tale, "Santa Claus" in reality is an Anglicized form of the Dutch name Sinter Klaas, which in turn is a reference to Saint Nicholas. According to tradition, Saint Nick not only lavished gifts on needy children but also valiantly supported the doctrine of the Trinity at the Council of Nicea in AD 325. Thus, Christians may legitimately look to Saint Nick as a genuine hero of the faith. This December 25 as you celebrate the coming of Christ with a Christmas tree surrounded by presents, may the selflessness of Saint Nick be a reminder of the Saviour who gave the greatest gift of all: "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13).

--Hank Hanegraaff | The Complete Bible Answer Book

For further study, see Paul Maier, The First Christmas (Grand Rapids: Kregel Publications, 2001). http://www.equip.org/bookstore/books/the-first-christmas/

"And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Saviour has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.' Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favour rests" --- Luke 2:8–14

What's so important about Christmas?

Why should people still be celebrating the birth of a baby born 2,000 years ago?

Why are so many people excited about Jesus?

Why do we need Him?

Why did He come?

Why did He die?
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:01pm On Nov 20, 2013
One wonders what hymn the wise men sang on their journey to Bethlehem since it took them many months to reach their destination.  On their way they must have conversed, so let's see what would be the the top 7 things they said:

The top 7 things overheard on the Wise men's journey to Bethlehem:

7.  "Man, I'm starting to get a rush from this frankincense!"
6.  "You guys ever eat camel meat? I hear it tastes like goat."
5.  "You know, I used to go school with a girl called Beth Lehem."
4.  "What kind of name is Balthazar anyhow? Phoenician?"
3.  "Hey, does any of you know why MYRRH is spelt with a Y instead of a U?"
2.  "Okay, whose camel just spat?"

And the No. 1 thing overheard on the Wise Men's journey to Bethlehem was:

1.  "All this staring at a star while riding a camel is making me woozy." shocked

-- J. John and Mark Stibbe

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:42pm On Nov 20, 2013
Animals Sing "12 Days of Christmas"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obGjx8Hry3M
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:04pm On Nov 21, 2013
The three stages of a man's life:

1. He believes in Santa Claus;

2. He doesn't believe in Santa Claus;

3. He is Santa Claus. shocked
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by Joshthefirst(m): 9:46pm On Nov 21, 2013
OLAADEGBU: The three stages of a man's life:

1. He believes in Santa Claus;

2. He doesn't believe in Santa Claus;

3. He is Santa Claus. shocked
shocked
hohohohohohohohohohohohoho

grin grin grin
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by vickyO(f): 10:18pm On Nov 21, 2013
This Enigma gives me joy. Nobody was able to counter his post successfully.

1)The Scripture says no one should judge us according to the days we keep. so if I decide to celebrate Christmas as a Christian, it ain't nobody's wahala.
Even if anyone decides to celebrate the day Jesus began his ministry or the day he overcame temptation, it isn't any one's business.

2)Who cares where it originated from? all I know is my motive behind celebrating on that day is pure. why? because I am celebrating the birth of Christ thereby evangelizing indirectly.....

3)And any Roman Catholic who isn't happy with Enigma's findings (the one that debunks the claim that Roman Catholic started Christmas), you can tell the Pope to change the date for una.

chukwudi44: Unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood,you will never have life in you~Jesus Christ.

Oh really, why didn't the disciples cut the flesh of Jesus on the cross after he died or suck his dripping blood?
and even save some for later.............??
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Christmas? by Demainman1: 11:29am On Nov 22, 2013
vickyO: 2)Who cares where it originated from? all I know is my motive behind celebrating on that day is pure. why? because I am celebrating the birth of Christ thereby evangelizing indirectly.....

The day your god of man, Adeboye, Oyaks or Oye proclaim that you should not celebrate it again because it originated from paganism, you will start using bible to quote verses to support their views. You are just zombies all of you nigeria christians

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Trinity Explained / God's Love / Atheist Till Death; Atheist Joseph Stalin's Last Act Against God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.