Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,288 members, 7,954,148 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:07 PM

Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? (10059 Views)

Did Early Christians Celebrate Birthdays? Should Christians Celebrate Birthdays? / Should Christians Celebrate Birthdays? / Why Dont Jehovah's Witnesses Celebrate Birthdays? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Comingo: 11:36pm On Aug 22, 2009
Is birthday keeping a good thing in Christianity? did Christ tell us to celebrate our "date of birth" and his also?

lets look at the Birthday occurences in the Bible and how they turned out.

The first account is in Genesis. Pharaoh, the Egyptian king, celebrated his birthday by executing his chief baker (Gen. 40:1-23). God gave Joseph special understanding of a dream by Pharaoh’s butler and baker, that the baker would lose his life three days after Joseph interpreted the dream. Joseph understood that Pharaoh would use this occasion—his own birthday party—to put his baker to death. As the dream had foretold, the baker was hung at the party.

In the second account, the New Testament figure Herod the tetrarch reluctantly ordered the beheading of John the Baptist (Matt. 14:3-11). Notice verse six: “But when Herod’s birthday was kept…” During the dancing and merry-making at his birthday party, Herod got carried away and eventually made a promise that he did not want to keep. As a result, a great servant of God lost his life.

so really what do Christians mean when they celebrate birthdays?
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by ladygaga(f): 12:22am On Aug 23, 2009
What do u think?
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Comingo: 12:30am On Aug 23, 2009
ladygaga:

What do u think?

i think it's pagan practice looking at those verses.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Abuzola(m): 12:45am On Aug 23, 2009
U are right comin, you are very right
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Nobody: 2:29am On Aug 23, 2009
Hehehe, this religion section is something else.

The Jews celebrate birthdays too, no? How is it a pagan practice? Unless the Jews are pagans too.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Comingo: 2:39am On Aug 23, 2009
@ stillwater

i aint talking about the Jews or Judaism. I'm questioning the relevance of birthday keeping in Christianity. to me its paganic unless someone tells me otherwise
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Nobody: 2:49am On Aug 23, 2009
Ok let me get this straight. So it's paganism if I say "It's my birthday. Thank you God for adding one more year to my life. Friends and family celebrate with me, let's eat and be happy?"
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Comingo: 3:30am On Aug 23, 2009
stillwater:

Ok let me get this straight. So it's paganism if I say "It's my birthday. Thank you God for adding one more year to my life. Friends and family celebrate with me, let's eat and be happy?"

You can twist and turn the main issue to glorify your beliefs. But have you wondered where this practice started from? Take out time to study how Birthday keeping all started. Its Paganism, thats my take.
If the head is rotten, dont you think the body will also get rotten too? So go check out the head this idea came out from and see how rotten you've been all along.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Comingo: 3:32am On Aug 23, 2009
Abuzola:

U are right comin, you are very right

i don't need your commendation.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Nobody: 4:13am On Aug 23, 2009
both examples you gave, are of kings who celebrated their birthdays in much the same manner as they ruled.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by oyinda3(f): 4:21am On Aug 23, 2009
Comingo:

Is birthday keeping a good thing in Christianity? did Christ tell us to celebrate our "date of birth" and his also?

The first account is in Genesis. Pharaoh, the Egyptian king, celebrated his birthday by executing his chief baker (Gen. 40:1-23). God gave Joseph special understanding of a dream by Pharaoh’s butler and baker, that the baker would lose his life three days after Joseph interpreted the dream. Joseph understood that Pharaoh would use this occasion—his own birthday party—to put his baker to death. As the dream had foretold, the baker was hung at the party.

In the second account, the New Testament figure Herod the tetrarch reluctantly ordered the beheading of John the Baptist (Matt. 14:3-11). Notice verse six: “But when Herod’s birthday was kept…” During the dancing and merry-making at his birthday party, Herod got carried away and eventually made a promise that he did not want to keep. As a result, a great servant of God lost his life.

your logic is skewed. that's like saying hitler wore green so therefore the color green is bad.
because some bad guys did wicked things on their birthdays doesn't make birthday celebration bad in general, ok?

a birthday is an opportunity to celebrate the fact that god has added years to your life anyways.
so it depends on how you celebrate it. even jesus' birth is celebrated in a grand fashion every december
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:23am On Aug 23, 2009
Skewed JW thinking
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by AjaraEwuro: 8:39am On Aug 23, 2009
so anything not expressly stated in the bible is a sin, right? So, I guess christians should not drive cars, build houses, etc because the bible never mentioned anything like such? What is this world turning into?
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by oyinda3(f): 8:43am On Aug 23, 2009
AjaraEwuro:

so anything not expressly stated in the bible is a sin, right? So, I guess christians should not drive cars, build houses, etc because the bible never mentioned anything like such? What is this world turning into?

there actually some people who think that way. they don't watch tvs, listen to certain music genres, don't wear pants, use electricity etc because people in the bible didn't do so.
i think they call them amish people. the nigerian version are the deeper life (i don't think they celebrate birthdays either)

but who am i to judge. . .
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by No2Atheism(m): 9:54am On Aug 23, 2009
hmm i am not even sure the amish are christians sef, are they not supposed to be a group of people of germanic descent or something,
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by nwakaibe(m): 2:21pm On Aug 24, 2009
Comingo:

And Sunday is dedicated to the Sun god. should we hold xtian services on sunday? Many of the apostles lost their lives cos they preached Jesus,should we stop preaching?
My man, go and study Paul's letter to the Colosians 2;16-20. I dont know why people leave the basic tenets of xtianity and major on the minors. Celebrate your birthday if you decide, dont celebrate it if you wish not. Read Psalm 90:12
So teach us to number our days, that we may get us a heart of wisdom.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Aug 24, 2009
Comingo:

You can twist and turn the main issue to glorify your beliefs. But have you wondered where this practice started from? Take out time to study how Birthday keeping all started. Its Paganism, thats my take.
If the head is rotten, dont you think the body will also get rotten too? So go check out the head this idea came out from and see how rotten you've been all along.

Why the animosity? Hehehe I said I want to celebrate my birthday you say I'm rotten? Lmao. grin According to you, are the Jews pagans?
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by MrCrackles(m): 3:18pm On Aug 24, 2009
Topic
Because they want to!
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:21pm On Aug 24, 2009
And this topic graces the front page grin
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Aug 24, 2009
Very daft thread.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by chigonye: 3:25pm On Aug 24, 2009
First of all u guys must understand there is a difference btwn Christains and Jews! Right now God is no longer dealing with Jews, all He knows & sees now are Christain- You have to get straight!
@ Stillwater- U r absolutely correct! I celebrate my birthday because its one of the ways of telling GOD i'm gr8ful for anoder year.
How it was done in Jewish times(and the circumstances that preceeded it) is inconsequential to me. I'm a Christain and not a Jew!
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:28pm On Aug 24, 2009
chigonye:

First of all u guys must understand there is a difference btwn Christains and Jews! Right now God is no longer dealing with Jews, all He knows & sees now are Christain- You have to get straight!
@ Stillwater- U r absolutely correct! I celebrate my birthday because its one of the ways of telling GOD i'm gr8ful for anoder year.
How it was done in Jewish times(and the circumstances that preceeded it) is inconsequential to me. I'm a Christain and not a Jew!
See fight for another man religion, go and look for your own.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Wumami: 3:31pm On Aug 24, 2009
In conclusion,

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, Phil 2:12

Seek the face of God on whether or not it is right afterall

Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin, James 4:17.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Ben13: 3:36pm On Aug 24, 2009
The bible only recorded those birthdays you mentioned cos of its relevance and the history that was made after it ( How Joseph the dreamer got out of the prison and the death of John the Baptist). Other birthdays were celebrated which the Bible saw as not necessary to be written.

There's nothing wrong about keeping a birthday. That God added a year to your age is not a small thing.

Incase you're planning a birthday ceremony and afraid dat christians won't come, don't worry ya head, they'll fill up the place.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by oludashmi(f): 3:44pm On Aug 24, 2009
Comingo:

It is not a matter of religion but the fact that you thank God for adding another year to your life.

At the same time, if 2 or more people did something wrong on their birthdays according to the bible, does that mean you should not celebrate your birthday or does it mean you too should do likewise on your birthday?

You are asking where Jesus commanded us to celebrate birthday and I will like you to note where Jesus commanded us not to celebrate it. If someone dies of a motor accident, does that mean we should all not board a vehicle again or if someone dies as a result of collapse building, does that mean we should not leave in buildings any longer?

Nothing concerns God with your birthday, the most important thing is that the name of God is glorified any day any time and even on your birthday.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Nezan(m): 4:15pm On Aug 24, 2009
Personally, I think the motive for the celebration matters. If you are thanking God for adding another year to your existence on earth, how is that a crime when we thank God for any single day He has added to our lives, or dont you thank Him everyday??. But if the motive is to glorify self, there-in lies the sin.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Amjustme: 4:16pm On Aug 24, 2009
Never twart GOD's word just to satisfy some silly questions that u want answered on your own terms. If u mislead children d bible says its better 4 a milestone to be put around ur neck n drowned in d sea; how much more of misleading adults?

Problem wit us is dat we dont see GOD as a loving FATHER interested in everthing about us including our birthdays;we just think of GOD as a Taskmaster that is so hard to please,who is waiting to spank us when we make d slighest mistake.

May GOD open ur eyes.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by speeddater: 4:16pm On Aug 24, 2009
David saw Bathseba while he was on his balcony. Does that mean that walking on ur balcony will lead u to sin.
Bathseba was seen naked by the king while having her bath. Does that mean its a sin to have ur bath?

Ur logic is weird and unfounded but i guess u just enjoy religious arguments
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Rebarobyn: 4:26pm On Aug 24, 2009
Comingo:

did Christ tell us to celebrate our "date of birth" and his also?

did Christ tell you to get internet and join Nairaland? if no, then your question has no basis. Not everything we do in life has its basis in the bible, what matters is your relationship with God and fellow humans. This is how fanaticism starts o!
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by slimslim: 4:37pm On Aug 24, 2009
I always asked friends that quoted the 2 birthdays recorded in the Bible as the reason why they don’t celebrate or celebrate birthdays with others; the questions are:

1. Were those birthdays recorded the “celebrants” “first birthday” ever?
2. Was it recorded that after those recorded birthday mishap, no birthday was
done again in the land?

To date, I have not been able to get a valid answers to them.

I have some other questions but answers to these 2 will at least help some of us to decide whether or not to celebrate or join others in celebrating birthdays again.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by Fredique(m): 4:39pm On Aug 24, 2009
Please what is the criteria for topics gracing front page? because I think this topic is out of place on the front page.

@ poster, if you dont want to celebrate your birthday or share a few drinks, dont. it's not by force. Dont bring religion into this.

I personally have kept my birthday discreet for the past three years, except to quietly thank God and reflect.
Re: Why Do Christians Celebrate Birthdays? by oluagness(m): 4:42pm On Aug 24, 2009
Birthday commemoration is not sinful. Psalm 90:12 says teach us to number our days, that we may get us a heart of wisdom. It reminds us of God's presence in our lives. You can choose to celebrate it or otherwise. The choice is yours.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Romance Section Sunday Service / There’s No Evidence That Your God Exist / Cutting Down Witchcraft Covens.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.