Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:51 AM

A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers (1435 Views)

no / Be Wise And Get Enlightened – An Advice To Nigerian Rappers / Favourite Rap Lines By Nigerian Rappers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by tosinaded(m): 12:34pm On Nov 12, 2013
Here I am after a long lazy break from writing; this right here is just my opinion about what I feel about Nigerian rap, rappers and how to make fame and fortune from rap.

It’s been a week of hip hop in Nigeria, ever since the release of the top 10 gifted rappers in Nigeria, via the online music platform: Notjustok. For those who didn’t know, I was a part of the team that contributed to the birth of that list, I don’t agree with the final list though.

So if there is a time to talk about Rap music in Nigeria, the time is now.

Just recently I watched an interview on TV, where the legendary lyricist Modenine (All respect to the legend) poured out his mind about haw bad he felt, about putting out a body of work and people ignored. For a moment I felt annoyed also, then later I thought of it, if he directed his annoyance to the core rap fans, then may be. But if it was directed at the music fans in general, then he really misses the point.

That “point” is what this article is about. I mean you can’t sell meat to a vegetarian, you’ve got to give them the vegetables they want, and if you are going to make meat appeal to a vegetarian, you’ve got to mix it up with vegetables.

Rap has really come of age in Nigeria, but there is still a lot to learn and there is still room for improvement. Rap music was really never accepted in Nigeria at a time, it was so bad that rappers couldn’t even make a living off their music.

This perception of not being able to make a living off rap in Nigeria was however proved wrong by M.i Abaga, after he dropped his first album.

Let me state at this juncture, that i am not trying to give a lecture about rap and it’s basics, I’m not a hip hop head, I’m just going to give my opinion about how a Nigerian rapper can make fame and fortune off rap in the Nigerian market.

I will just state some few personal points and proffer possible solutions.

- Rap music is not as accepted as other genres of music in Nigeria

- The ratio of acceptance of rap music compared to other genres is like 1:100 ( Just accept)

- To prove the statement above, visit alaba, talk to the marketers of Nigerian music and ask how many units of rap albums they move. Also to prove the statement above, study the trend of Music shows in Nigeria, and see if rappers get to be called for shows in Nigeria.

- We really do not have Hip Hop concerts in Nigeria where only rap lovers can pay to watch.

- And the bitter truth is that the bulk of the so called rap lovers in Nigeria as at now would rather download rap songs and tweet about it, than buy rap albums.

My second and third points above do not apply to the likes of M.I , and other Nigerian rappers who have done well in understanding the Nigerian music market, and gone a step ahead from spitting bars on bars, to making rap music, emphasis on the MUSIC.

Since the bulk of Nigerian music listeners are not core rap fans, it is a not so wise decision to make rap albums, and get mad when the majority do not buy it. You cannot force stuff down the throats of people.

Some might begin to think that making music for the majority as a rapper means you are not being real and stuff, but really I don’t know how real it can get, if you can make rap music for the majority and still make them have that feel of rap, that they begin to crave for more rap songs.

M.I Abaga came into the game and shot up the chats of the Nigerian rap scene in no time, with 2 albums and 2 mix tapes, he can be regarded as the best and not so many will raise an eye brow. Here are a few things to learn from the rapper. .

- Firstly, talent is key. If you are not talented and brilliant, do not bother going into rap or music at all.

- In a country like Nigeria, it’s not advisable to make an album with content that won’t appeal to the majority. So whenever you want to make straight up rap music, do it for your mix tapes and put it up for downloads. The few rap fans will download and still rate you.

- When making a rap album, do well to spice it up with other genres of music, have collaborations with pop artistes, RnB artistes etc. That way you can cut across to other fans of other genres of music.

- Use good beats, use very catchy beats. A lot of time I listen to some rap songs and the beats do not just appeal to me. The beat of a song alone can make a listener listen to your song.

- Sample all kinds of beats; drop your bars on different types of beats, high-life, afro-beat, raggae etc.

- Make your lines basic but real and meaningful; tell stories about topics that appeal to the typical Nigerian.

These points stated above are pure facts for any rapper who wishes to make it off rap music. A living proof is M.I abaga. This method is a win-win situation; you gain your reputation as dope rapper through your mix-tapes, and also make a name and fortune on the bigger scale through your albums.

Diversify, explore your talent, and channel your rap talent into being a musician, that way you will appeal to a wider audience, and make rap more acceptable. It’s not really reasonable to cage yourself and do rap for the minority, when really you can make music for a bigger market and make more fortune off it. I mean, who says a rapper cannot make a party song?

It’s show business after all, and I believe every artiste is in music not only to make a name, but also to make a living from it, so be wise and get enlightened.

Tosinadeda

http://tosinadeda./

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by Mynd44: 12:41pm On Nov 12, 2013
Uncle Tosin is back.

I agree but I don't think it was MI that proved the perception that you can live off rap. Eedris proved that to an extent and Ruggenman put a stamp on it.

Ruggenman's "Thy album comes" pushed enough copies and he went from unknown to headlining shows and so did eedris although eedris was not really a "true rapper"

MI came much later then them
Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by tosinaded(m): 12:44pm On Nov 12, 2013
Mynd_44: Uncle Tosin is back.

I agree but I don't think it was MI that proved the perception that you can live off rap. Eedris proved that to an extent and Ruggedman put a stamp on it.

Valid POINT!!!!

Lol @ Uncle Tosin tho . .
Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by Mynd44: 12:49pm On Nov 12, 2013
tosinaded@:

Valid POINT!!!!

Lol @ Uncle Tosin tho . .
You are uncle na....but seriously, I don't see why Mode 9 should be mad though. He has always said he was in for the love and not money. He has never been commercially viable with his style of rap and he did not want to change.

I remember when Don Jazzy said "I am sure his mother and grand parents won't be proud of him" referring to Mode 9 and his low album sales

1 Like

Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by Revolva(m): 2:23pm On Nov 12, 2013
true talk brother tosin..i don tell my brother wey wan do rap the guy own na realhardcore...pass Nas philosophy sef..i dey vex say the guy wan waste money......ooo kai

1 Like

Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by Nobody: 2:34pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ok, I was here.

Coming back to comment cool

#TeamGOM
Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by Dannylux: 2:37pm On Nov 12, 2013
--
Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by tosinaded(m): 2:39pm On Nov 12, 2013
Dannylux: --

Eeeer, that's all?
Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by AbuMikey(m): 2:47pm On Nov 12, 2013

Brb!
Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by homesteady(m): 3:13pm On Nov 12, 2013
Very true! I can't waste my time listening to hardcore rap songs!
Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by AbuMikey(m): 4:32pm On Nov 12, 2013
[b]
My thoughts

Uncle Tosin grin, You've got some valid point,but what I think is the major problem with Niaja Rap artistes is majorly their kind of "Kendrick Larmar king of Rap" style of Rap.

Secondly,their albums rarely get sold,cos as you rightly said,core fans would rather download the album,rather than buying the CDs.
I'm very much sure the hyping Olamide's "Baddest guy ever Liveth" album won't get enough CD sales,cos most of Olamide's fans would rather visit Jaguda,Gidmp3 et al to download the songs.

One another note,most of Rap albums rarely get enough publicity before their release.
Personally I think the Rap albums with the best puvlicty in Nigeria is
1) Ice Prince = E.L.I
2) Ice Prince = F.O.Z
3) Olamide = Baddest Guy Ever Liveth.

Core hiphop fans would rather sit at home than go to a full blown hip hop concert.

They rarely get Endorsement deal from "big" companies. Phyno,Phenom,Olamide and MI are the few Rap artistes in Nigeria I can remeber have gotten a good endorsement deal.

Lastly,Naija Rap artiste are full of Wack Lines angry the few with real hardcore lines are majorly underground rappers and don't get enough publicity.

Last Bullet: Nigerian rap fans always over hype rubbish musics. Fans of Olamide is a perfect case study tongue

I rest my case cool
[/b]

1 Like

Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by airmark(m): 1:07am On Nov 13, 2013
Abu Mikey:

Last Bullet: Nigerian rap fans always over hype nossentical musics. Fans of Olamide is a perfect case study tongue

I rest my case cool

You made valid points but that your last bullet was suicidal. grin
Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by lalaboi(m): 2:32pm On Nov 13, 2013
lol. I guess the olamide rubbish music you mean is "Durosoke". . . Sigh. . .
Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by jiggaz(m): 3:53pm On Nov 13, 2013
tosinaded@:
Here I am after a long lazy break from writing; this right here is just my opinion about what I feel about Nigerian rap, rappers and how to make fame and fortune from rap.

It’s been a week of hip hop in Nigeria, ever since the release of the top 10 gifted rappers in Nigeria, via the online music platform: Notjustok. For those who didn’t know, I was a part of the team that contributed to the birth of that list, I don’t agree with the final list though.

Just recently I watched an interview on TV, where the legendary lyricist Modenine (All respect to the legend) poured out his mind about haw bad he felt, about putting out a body of work and people ignored. For a moment I felt annoyed also, then later I thought of it, if he directed his annoyance to the core rap fans, then may be. But if it was directed at the music fans in general, then he really misses the point.

That “point” is what this article is about. I mean you can’t sell meat to a vegetarian, you’ve got to give them the vegetables they want, and if you are going to make meat appeal to a vegetarian, you’ve got to mix it up with vegetables.

Rap has really come of age in Nigeria, but there is still a lot to learn and there is still room for improvement. Rap music was really never accepted in Nigeria at a time, it was so bad that rappers couldn’t even make a living off their music.

This perception of not being able to make a living off rap in Nigeria was however proved wrong by M.i Abaga, after he dropped his first album.

Let me state at this juncture, that i am not trying to give a lecture about rap and it’s basics, I’m not a hip hop head, I’m just going to give my opinion about how a Nigerian rapper can make fame and fortune off rap in the Nigerian market.

- The ratio of acceptance of rap music compared to other genres is like 1:100 ( Just accept)

- To prove the statement above, visit alaba, talk to the marketers of Nigerian music and ask how many units of rap albums they move. Also to prove the statement above, study the trend of Music shows in Nigeria, and see if rappers get to be called for shows in Nigeria.

- We really do not have Hip Hop concerts in Nigeria where only rap lovers can pay to watch.

- And the bitter truth is that the bulk of the so called rap lovers in Nigeria as at now would rather download rap songs and tweet about it, than buy rap albums.

My second and third points above do not apply to the likes of M.I , and other Nigerian rappers who have done well in understanding the Nigerian music market, and gone a step ahead from spitting bars on bars, to making rap music, emphasis on the MUSIC.

Since the bulk of Nigerian music listeners are not core rap fans, it is a not so wise decision to make rap albums, and get mad when the majority do not buy it. You cannot force stuff down the throats of people.

Some might begin to think that making music for the majority as a rapper means you are not being real and stuff, but really I don’t know how real it can get, if you can make rap music for the majority and still make them have that feel of rap, that they begin to crave for more rap songs.

M.I Abaga came into the game and shot up the chats of the Nigerian rap scene in no time, with 2 albums and 2 mix tapes, he can be regarded as the best and not so many will raise an eye brow. Here are a few things to learn from the rapper. .

- Firstly, talent is key. If you are not talented and brilliant, do not bother going into rap or music at all.

- In a country like Nigeria, it’s not advisable to make an album with content that won’t appeal to the majority. So whenever you want to make straight up rap music, do it for your mix tapes and put it up for downloads. The few rap fans will download and still rate you.

- When making a rap album, do well to spice it up with other genres of music, have collaborations with pop artistes, RnB artistes etc. That way you can cut across to other fans of other genres of music.

- Use good beats, use very catchy beats. A lot of time I listen to some rap songs and the beats do not just appeal to me. The beat of a song alone can make a listener listen to your song.

- Sample all kinds of beats; drop your bars on different types of beats, high-life, afro-beat, raggae etc.

- Make your lines basic but real and meaningful; tell stories about topics that appeal to the typical Nigerian.

These points stated above are pure facts for any rapper who wishes to make it off rap music. A living proof is M.I abaga. This method is a win-win situation; you gain your reputation as dope rapper through your mix-tapes, and also make a name and fortune on the bigger scale through your albums.

Diversify, explore your talent, and channel your rap talent into being a musician, that way you will appeal to a wider audience, and make rap more acceptable. It’s not really reasonable to cage yourself and do rap for the minority, when really you can make music for a bigger market and make more fortune off it. I mean, who says a rapper cannot make a party song?

It’s show business after all, and I believe every artiste is in music not only to make a name, but also to make a living from it, so be wise and get enlightened.

Tosinadeda

You said the truth..
Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by lalaboi(m): 4:50pm On Nov 13, 2013
jiggaz: You said the truth..

And you had to quote the whole thing just to say that? undecided
Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by tosinaded(m): 5:32pm On Nov 13, 2013
lalaboi:

lol
Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by jiggaz(m): 7:46pm On Nov 13, 2013
lalaboi:

Lalaboi gerrout jor!! lool
Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by ajasa4link: 6:44am On Nov 14, 2013
hmmmm...and this is coming when I thought tosin had already deactivated his nairaland account....
@topic u said it all,most hardcore rappers are headstrong and stubborn and would rather die than add a little commercial touch to their songs...For u to be a successful rapper that rakes in cash,u need to appeal to almost everybody and not just some 2000 internet gangster who are waiting to download ur hardwork for free and only give u few twitter mentions in return....@Those saying olamide sings/raps rubbish,I think u are just being unfair to him. if u buy his full albums, listen to all the songs on it,u will have a rethink. How many of u listened to am going in,responsibility on his first album ? do u think those songs are crap?....Olamide appeals to a wide range of audience, though some of his songs might be offtrack at times but the good ones surely offsets the bad ones....As for rappers rapping about wide range of topics,I think rising is right there. we've seen m.i rap about jos ( wild wild west),about the current situation in naija (my belle, my head),dagrin's death,about runs girls(fast money fast cars),etc....
LAST BULLET: if u read the whole dictionary finish, wear oversized T-shirt, timberland boots, enter studio drop 75 metaphor wey even my literature teacher no understand on top beat,come expect me to carry my #100 buy am in 2013, u are surely sleeping on the bicycle #SOB

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by AbuMikey(m): 9:17am On Nov 14, 2013

^^
Olamide does not sing total rubbish,but most of his songs are rubbish...
His songs I like are very few... The likes of Fori Fori , V.O.T.S ,Yemi my lover, and some other songs on his Y.B.N.L album that I've forgotten their title.

I dont want to post links here, but I tell you, if you listen to rap songs I've got, you would wow at the versatility of Nigerian rappers wink .

Last Bullet: The best Nigerian rappers are underground rappers grin

1 Like

Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by Revolva(m): 11:11am On Nov 15, 2013
Abu Mikey:

^^
Olamide does not sing total rubbish,but most of his songs are rubbish...
His songs I like are very few... The likes of Fori Fori , V.O.T.S ,Yemi my lover, and some other songs on his Y.B.N.L album that I've forgotten their title.

I dont want to post links here, but I tell you, if you listen to rap songs I've got, you would wow at the versatility of Nigerian rappers wink .

Last Bullet: The best Nigerian rappers are underground rappers grin

hey bros well i beg make u take am like tht afte all real hip hop is not alive in america also...except a few yankees rap cat ...never blame olamide....ok....he is trying to survive...what will ut food on he table thats what naija artist need ok.....and look YBNL album is just ok...one thing he makes the hits....who carez.....about real hiphop again in this world..
Re: A Word Of Advice To Nigerian Rappers by RuggedSniper: 4:53pm On May 27, 2020
tosinaded:

Tosinadeda

(1) (Reply)

Frank Edwards And Don Moen In The Studio / Black Eyed Peas Rapper Taboo Opens Up About Secretly Batting Testicular Cancer / Broda Shaggi – Oya Hit Me [new Song]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.