Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,980 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:24 AM

Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction (2489 Views)

Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language / Nigeria's National Anthem In Yoruba Language / Teach Me Yoruba Language(come In If U Are Interested In Learning Too) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by ghostofsparta(m): 10:18pm On Nov 16, 2013
Roda94: As for extinction? Yoruba could never be distinct cool
With the way things are going, Yoruba as a distinct language is facing extinction, happening surreptitiously. It's a blare fact that Yoruba folks down here communicate with each other in Yoruba but always speak and compel their children to respond in English. Another instance is the fact that most Yorubas of today prefer to name their babies with foreign names mostly Jewish and English, ignorantly ebbing the Yorubaness in them by throwing a given Yoruba name to the back. I once asked for the native name of someone I met, very dark in complexion male who so proud he wasn't given any native name, as his first, middle and surname are all English. You see, with this sort of pattern trending, it's only a matter of time before it reaches 89% extinction or worst as it is - vitiated.

The Yoruba movies who think they are helping are infact one of the instrument jeopardizing the soon-to-vanish language. My attitude towards the Igbo dominated so called Nigerian films used to be the same for Yoruba movies until recently, however as before, still poorly directed, overused cliches, weak plot, unrealistic and predictable story and worst of it all, they both relish profit in the bastardization and demonization of our cultures and traditions, both of which are in tandem with our indigenous language.

Check out the so called Yoruba films in respect to their error prone subtitles which will ofcourse confuse and mis-teach the young growing ones and other non-Yorubas interested in the language, that aside, why should it be called a Yoruba movie when all the time, its actors and actresses can't make a complete sentence in Yoruba without employing two or more English words? Is it that we don't have the equivalent of 'but' in Yoruba? There are even two; 'sugbon' and 'amo' but one frequently hear statements like “Chief mofe ran yi but se mope moyin school lowo, mi deni fe ki education mi lo wa affected”.

Don't misconstrue me, as I don't mean extinction in the 'dinosaur' sense. What I'm trying to say is Yoruba as an ethnic identity may eventually become de-concatenated from its original true language. Evidence of this is occurring on daily basis, everywhere in Yorubland, it is so subtle that most speaking it don't even realize it. I know this because I'm sensitive to it all the time. Couples of months ago, at a buddy's place, there was this young lady who visited Nigeria for the first, with her Yoruba mum both from Germany. Her mum could speak Yoruba, but she could neither speak nor understood Yoruba at all. Even her English is poor. You see what I'm talking about.

These reasons and many more are what made an high profile institution whose name I can't recall for now, classified the Yoruba language among five or so other lingua francas that are fast wiping out, given to which became the sole reason why those 5 Americans decide to major in the study of Yoruba language at the University of Ibadan. Those linguistic experts do observe and analyse these traits periodically.

Now to prove their extinction theory right, let me test you. Hope you are ready...
What's the Yoruba word for Lion, Mammoth and Tiger?

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by Roda94(f): 10:29pm On Nov 16, 2013
I agree with all that you said. The quality of the language is fast decreasing. It's a shame really but I do doubt that it could become totally 100% extinct. If it were to be extinct I think it would take a long while. As for your poser, yhh I'll pass tongue cool I didn't read my Alawiye to learn that, I was more interested in the stories loool. Do they teach you all the animals and whatnot in Yoruba back in Nigeria? In any case I am taking a keen interest in speaking Yoruba fluently and where possible I ask my dad for the Yoruba words I do not know. I can't speak for the state of the language back in Nigeria but only here in London. But yes back to the matter I guess it is. On another note giving your child a Yoruba name doesn't make you more or less Nigerian? I think it runs deeper than that. My first name is Opeyemi btw but still, the name is only a starting point. There is more to it than a name in my opinion smiley
Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by AndreUweh(m): 10:46pm On Nov 16, 2013
Some of you guys who come here to tell us that Igbo or Yoruba language is on the verge of extinction surely haven't travelled round Nigeria.
Attention should be diverted to the north where the Hausa language are swallowing the minority languages at a very fast rate.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by ladionline: 11:49pm On Nov 16, 2013
Andre Uweh: Some of you guys who come here to tell us that Igbo or Yoruba language is on the verge of extinction surely haven't travelled round Nigeria.
Attention should be diverted to the north where the Hausa language are swallowing the minority languages at a very fast rate.
cheesy Hausa language is the commonwealth of west Africa. At least the habe Hausawa aren't involve in self conscious, online 'supremacy tussles' going on here. But it seem their language is secured than that of the southy. book is now declared 'haram' by a violence inclined section of the youth. As for the extinction of the Yoruba, i like to say the future is full of suprises. Are we God? 'O si nsoro bi Olodumare!' Lion is kin-ni-un, dont expect names for animals that are not of Yoruba fauna however popular, e.g. kangaroo or penguin. Ekun is the general name for all big feline in Yoruba. Sotan?

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by AndreUweh(m): 12:39am On Nov 17, 2013
ladionline: cheesy Hausa language is the commonwealth of west Africa. At least the habe Hausawa aren't involve in self conscious, online 'supremacy tussles' going on here. But it seem their language is secured than that of the southy. book is now declared 'haram' by a violence inclined section of the youth. As for the extinction of the Yoruba, i like to say the future is full of suprises. Are we God? 'O si nsoro bi Olodumare!' Lion is kin-ni-un, dont expect names for animals that are not of Yoruba fauna however popular, e.g. kangaroo or penguin. Ekun is the general name for all big feline in Yoruba. Sotan?
In essence and bu your logic, Hausa language should assimiliate those languages. Why can't people help to sustain those languages that were created by God just like Hausa language. Too bad.
Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by sbeezy8: 2:51am On Nov 17, 2013
Andre Uweh: Some of you guys who come here to tell us that Igbo or Yoruba language is on the verge of extinction surely haven't travelled round Nigeria.

Even though I think youre a kangaroo, People put to much emphasis on igbo and yoruba because we speak english, when in essence the culture and language that is about to die is Hausa with over 40% of their words having arabic origin, with nearly all of their names being arabic, with their whole attire being muslim, There horses, Camells, snake charming, shows arent Hausa either- all arabic origin.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by ladionline: 7:22am On Nov 17, 2013
Andre Uweh:
In essence and bu your logic, Hausa language should assimiliate those languages. Why can't people help to sustain those languages that were created by God just like Hausa language. Too bad.
Andre, what could have stopped colonialism when it was about to happen back in time? Change is constant, everything undergoes change. The best way to save a language is to learn a language. You have to learn to speak these endangered languages, will you? @ops, yoruba extinction is a thing of the mind, we are not in future at the present, but you have 'future bug' already.
Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by EzePromoe: 8:25am On Nov 17, 2013
Anyone who opens a thread like this is just sick of inferiority complex.
The ratio of Yorubas living in villages to the city and diasporas is 8:2 , you need to take a tour all around Yorubaland, and search for any possibility of language extinction.
Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by ghostofsparta(m): 9:03am On Nov 17, 2013
Roda94: . If it were to be extinct I think it would take a long while.
even if it 500 years to come, it will become extinct given those pattern I described unless we change our mindset.

Roda94: As for your poser, yhh I'll pass tongue cool I didn't read my Alawiye to learn that, I was more interested in the stories loool.
What if I tell you I failed Yoruba subject in school all the time because I usually skip the class. I think it's more to do with passion for what's ours, borne out of self-realization.

Roda94: Do they teach you all the animals and whatnot in Yoruba back in Nigeria?
Nigeria as a country is anti ethnic cultural revival. Forget all those hired dancers performing various tribal dance on national TV, at Abuja during independence day festival.

Roda94: On another note giving your child a Yoruba name doesn't make you more or less Nigerian? I think it runs deeper than that.
You assume I'm a robotic pro-Nigerian like the rest. I'm a fvcking tribalist and a proud one, I'm as tribalistic as the English man who calls his country England (land of the Angles), the Finns who calls his fatherland Finland, Deutschland, Netherlands etc. Let me ask you, Yoruba as an ethnic group and Nigeria as an amalgamation crafted in 1914, which do you think is the eldest and should come first in respect to our human identity?

sbeezy8: Even though I think youre a kangaroo, People put to much emphasis on igbo and yoruba because we speak english, when in essence the culture and language that is about to die is Hausa with over 40% of their words having arabic origin, with nearly all of their names being arabic, with their whole attire being muslim, There horses, Camells, snake charming, shows arent Hausa either- all arabic origin.
True fact^ but Arabic infiltration of Hausa language is eighty percent. Today, they call God 'Allah' instead of Ubangiji. Any one can conduct the test by asking any Hausa around your vicinity.

ladionline: cheesy Hausa language is the commonwealth of west Africa. At least the habe Hausawa aren't involve in self conscious, online 'supremacy tussles' going on here. But it seem their language is secured than that of the southy. book is now declared 'haram' by a violence inclined section of the youth. As for the extinction of the Yoruba, i like to say the future is full of suprises. Are we God? 'O si nsoro bi Olodumare!' Lion is kin-ni-un, dont expect names for animals that are not of Yoruba fauna however popular, e.g. kangaroo or penguin. Ekun is the general name for all big feline in Yoruba. Sotan?

Hausa language is it spoken today is 80% diluted with Arabic (FACT). Those animals I gave have their native names in Yoruba except one, which I purposely put there to test, as I've used it in testing my Yoruba friends.

Eze Promoe: Anyone who opens a thread like this is just sick of inferiority complex.
The ratio of Yorubas living in villages to the city and diasporas is 8:2 , you need to take a tour all around Yorubaland, and search for any possibility of language extinction.
How does inferiority complex spells out my argument? Obviously you don't understand that term, it's typical of Nairalanders to hire big words for reply. FYI, I'm in one of them core villages doing my research on the supernatural (check my footnote), every local one way or the other endeavour to speak English here. From your Eze name, I'm assuming you're Igbo and you ought to agree to the fact most of you communicate in pidgin English hence you wouldn't grasp what I'm talking of.
Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by Nobody: 12:15pm On Nov 17, 2013
With what you have said @op compare it with other culture.

Another man from another tribe speaking English sayin:you are the only one,abi??.
Does it mean d language is dying
Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 17, 2013
#ProudlyYorubaBoy,,,now to ur question sir...
Lion_kiniun
Mammoth_Ajanaku tabi Erin
Tiger_Ekun
Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by ghostofsparta(m): 4:34pm On Nov 17, 2013
Ad€mOlA:
#ProudlyYorubaBoy,,,now to ur question sir...
Lion_kiniun
Mammoth_Ajanaku tabi Erin
Tiger_Ekun

Lion_kiniun ✓
Mammoth_Ajanaku tabi Erin X (should've said one)
Tiger_Ekun X

Score: 1/3
Yoruba grade: Poor
Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by ghostofsparta(m): 4:41pm On Nov 17, 2013
Arcsniper: With what you have said @op compare it with other culture.

Another man from another tribe speaking English sayin:you are the only one,abi??.
Does it mean d language is dying

I don't understand your question, rephrase it.
Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by Adeyinka12(m): 1:19pm On Mar 24, 2015
Yoruba language is dying gradually,most expecially from the yoruba music and movies.most of the music and movies is full of english even some yoruba programmes.
Though there are few ones that sing yoruba song that you woun't hear any english word from there song like SHOLA(eji owuro) songs,but still this still affecting the language (yoruba) to the fact that ones can't have conversation in yoruba for few minute without hearing '' but, although,maybe,later '' and others,this also affect me personally.
If our government can make sure all radio and television both public and private are only broadcast in yoruba like that of (orisun fm) ile-lfe.teach our student at least from primary to secondary school in yoruba,our film industry to seat down and change the way they do there movies which contribute to yoruba downfall and most especially fuji musicians to do great work in there profession and finally the parent should teach there children how to speak yoruba fluently, with this for now i think yoruba language will come back to live.
Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by kaura5000: 6:26am On Mar 26, 2015
ghostofsparta:
even if it 500 years to come, it will become extinct given those pattern I described unless we change our mindset.
What if I tell you I failed Yoruba subject in school all the time because I usually skip the class. I think it's more to do with passion for what's ours, borne out of self-realization.
Nigeria as a country is anti ethnic cultural revival. Forget all those hired dancers performing various tribal dance on national TV, at Abuja during independence day festival.
You assume I'm a robotic pro-Nigerian like the rest. I'm a fvcking tribalist and a proud one, I'm as tribalistic as the English man who calls his country England (land of the Angles), the Finns who calls his fatherland Finland, Deutschland, Netherlands etc. Let me ask you, Yoruba as an ethnic group and Nigeria as an amalgamation crafted in 1914, which do you think is the eldest and should come first in respect to our human identity?
True fact^ but Arabic infiltration of Hausa language is eighty percent. Today, they call God 'Allah' instead of Ubangiji. Any one can conduct the test by asking any Hausa around your vicinity.
Hausa language is it spoken today is 80% diluted with Arabic (FACT). Those animals I gave have their native names in Yoruba except one, which I purposely put there to test, as I've used it in testing my Yoruba friends.
How does inferiority complex spells out my argument? Obviously you don't understand that term, it's typical of Nairalanders to hire big words for reply. FYI, I'm in one of them core villages doing my research on the supernatural (check my footnote), every local one way or the other endeavour to speak English here. From your Eze name, I'm assuming you're Igbo and you ought to agree to the fact most of you communicate in pidgin English hence you wouldn't grasp what I'm talking of.
no the horse tradition culture is not from arabs they use camels it has been in hausaland since the time if sarki gijimasau 10th century while islam came to haudaland in 13th century.. do you want to also say our mode of architecture is also arab? our tubali,,, also do you want to say our mode of government which since before the coming of britain is well organized is from arabs? Thats the reason britain ruled through indirect rule because we have all the offices..from matawalle , galadima sarkin dogarai etc... stop hating on hausa please

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by Nobody: 3:43am On Mar 28, 2015
Extinction seems to be the fate of all languages.
Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by Nobody: 3:53am On Mar 28, 2015
Lion - Kiniu
Tiger - Ekun
Mammoth = Elephant = I don't know
Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by Lionhearted: 8:50pm On May 12, 2015
teeowl:
Lion - Kiniu
Tiger - Ekun
Mammoth = Elephant = I don't know

Elephant-Eerin.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by Cooleasy(m): 10:55pm On May 13, 2015
Lionhearted:

Elephant-Eerin.
Now, here is my own challenge. Give the authentic Yoruba names of the following animals (mind you, some of them have alternative Yoruba names. If you can get the alternative Yoruba names of a couple of them, then you really know Yoruba language).
Here we go:

Cat:

Rat:

Scorpion:

Tortoise:

Spider:

Squirrel:

Tilapia fish:

Turkey:

The common wild dove (a bird):

Water snail:

Guinea fowl:

Rhinocerous:

*I know all of them EXCEPT Turkey which I'm not sure of.
Now, you guys take up my challenge. Failure to pass everything attracts six strokes of the cane.
Start!
Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by absoluteSuccess: 11:11pm On May 13, 2015
Turkey is simple o: Tolotolo, the hardest is Rhinoserox, aka turuku or Elede-Egan, alantakun (elena) Ijapa (ahun), Akeke, Etu (awo) ati bee be lo
Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by Lionhearted: 11:14pm On May 13, 2015
Cooleasy:

Now, here is my own challenge. Give the authentic Yoruba names of the following animals (mind you, some of them have alternative Yoruba names. If you can get the alternative Yoruba names of a couple of them, then you really know Yoruba language).
Here we go:

Cat: Olongbo

Rat: Eeku tabi Eku-Ile

Scorpion:Akeeke

Tortoise: Ijapa

Spider: Alantaku(n)

Squirrel: Okere

Tilapia fish: Name so common but forgot it.

Turkey: Tolotolo

The common wild dove (a bird): Lekeleke---Don't tell me it is Eye-ile o

Water snail: Igbin, is always Igbin but you can at times appends the habitat to the name

Guinea fowl: Awo or Eye Awo

Rhinocerous: Not found in Yoruba land. If it is not an ede ayalo name then it is Turupu.

*I know all of them EXCEPT Turkey which I'm not sure of.
Now, you guys take up my challenge. Failure to pass everything attracts six strokes of the cane.
Start!
Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by scholes0(m): 12:28am On May 14, 2015
This does not warrant a thread.... the mods should change the title, because it has no Opening article/written piece to butress the claim.
Your test animals were even lion, Mamoth and iger.... Only one of which is indiginous to Africa, Lion (Kiniun) .. Although we know Tiger as Amotekun / Ekun
Re: Yoruba Language Slowly Nears Extinction by Nobody: 11:16pm On May 14, 2015
[quote author=Lionhearted post=33714592][/quote]

rhinoceros sgiuld be IMODO

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Has More Males Than Females / PHOTO: Native Woman Goes Shopping Braless And Leaves Customers Shocked / “Take Your Osun And Orisa To Ogun, Oyo…” Kwara Imam To Yoruba.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.