Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,705 members, 7,820,461 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 (28506 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU/NEC Meeting Postponed Till SATURDAY / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by nabdeck(m): 12:55pm On Nov 17, 2013
So wen are dey calling off d strike, and i heard dat ESUT is resuming on d 18th of dis month, which is 2moro, is it true?
Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by fabby26(m): 1:01pm On Nov 17, 2013
RedBenson:

Jonathan is an aimless ranter. He can rant all way down but lacks d balls to make it happen. Shame on him!

Guy, this one pass GEJ, no be by plan B o. If you are to be GEJ, you will still do nothing other than fold your hands and watch as events unfold. We all like giving advices and making comments outside the football pitch, but when you enter the pitch itself, you will realize is a different ball game. Naija, we are always quick in passing criticism on others, while we're not too different from them
Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by peter1994(m): 1:05pm On Nov 17, 2013
7 days mourning okay o. We will now go with the news;

ASUU STRIKE TO END THIS WEEK AFTER THEIR 7 DAYS MOURN
Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by mckorode(m): 1:08pm On Nov 17, 2013
The solution to the problems of tertiary education in this country is public-private partnership.
Tertiary education is too cheap in Nigeria.And we all know cheap isn't quality. If the universities are run by private enterprises at higher cost we would get better quality even though it's at higher cost.Alot of people are paying less than what they paid in secondary school now that they are in the university. Alot of people in universities can afford to pay 10 times their current fees but for their government -centric mentality.
Americans know how much they have saved for years to send their wards to college.here people that don't even pay tax will be complaining about everything.
There are so many policies that can be put in place to make tertiary education top notch in this country.maybe I should start a new thread to discuss this.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by Davo93(m): 1:38pm On Nov 17, 2013
mckorode: The solution to the problems of tertiary education in this country is public-private partnership.
Tertiary education is too cheap in Nigeria.And we all know cheap isn't quality. If the universities are run by private enterprises at higher cost we would get better quality even though it's at higher cost.Alot of people are paying less than what they paid in secondary school now that they are in the university. Alot of people in universities can afford to pay 10 times their current fees but for their government -centric mentality.
Americans know how much they have saved for years to send their wards to college.here people that don't even pay tax will be complaining about everything.
There are so many policies that can be put in place to make tertiary education top notch in this country.maybe I should start a new thread to discuss this.
Your suggestion is a nice vibrant one but so useless to be applied to the current system on ground in our nation Nigeria.

Like you said, i agree with you that the cost of our tertiary education is reasonably cheap but escalating the cost at the aim of getting quality education can be suicidal to it.

Before you can consider raising the cost of anything, you have to consider the people you are producing those goods for. Are they financially capable to have it? A lot of Nigerians are out there working VERY hard to be able to afford that education you called cheap for their wards. Increasing the cost of education without the putting in place of necessary measures to make up for it is not good for Nigeria at this time.

Why do you think Nigerians vehemently protested Jonathan's fuel subisidy removal? It is not that they don't know the deregulation of the downstream sector is a nice policy but because they don't trust the government and more importantly, no adequate measures on ground to reduce the effect of such policy on citizens.

As for me, i don't see any difference in your proposal to that of the subsidy removal.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 17, 2013
fabby26:

Guy, this one pass GEJ, no be by plan B o. If you are to be GEJ, you will still do nothing other than fold your hands and watch as events unfold. We all like giving advices and making comments outside the football pitch, but when you enter the pitch itself, you will realize is a different ball game. Naija, we are always quick in passing criticism on others, while we're not too different from them

So what are you telling me now? If he had known he culdnt effect 'plan B', then there was no point mentioning it to the public in the 1st place. He's the president and whatever he decides, so stands, but un4tunatly, he's a dull president. Capable hands are out there including myself who can simply effect things properly including d said 'plan B' if need arises.
Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by lacastre: 2:42pm On Nov 17, 2013
i think i'll wait till its officially announce on tv and natinal dailies not all these forums.every tom,dick and harry post.
Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by kinguwem: 3:34pm On Nov 17, 2013
fasho01: If ASUU had made a statement about the 7-days mourning, all this wouldn't have happened. Don't know why they choose to keep everyone in the dark & cause all this raised hopes in the first place angry
ASUU is not in a haste to call off the strike because they shall be paid their salaries. Nigerians must change their orientation.
Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by fabby26(m): 4:51pm On Nov 17, 2013
RedBenson:

So what are you telling me now? If he had known he culdnt effect 'plan B', then there was no point mentioning it to the public in the 1st place. He's the president and whatever he decides, so stands, but un4tunatly, he's a dull president. Capable hands are out there including myself who can simply effect things properly including d said 'plan B' if need arises.

You may be right, but he is not alone in implementing that plan B, this is a democratic govt. For the fact he is the GCFR and the President doesn't mean he should just wake up one morning and do what he wants. His decision has to be passed through the Senate and Nat. Assembly, analysed, voted for or against before being executed. This is the due process in a democratic settings. Unless if we're in times of military era. If not what makes you think GEJ doesn't want to fully implement the said agreement and end this crisis for long, but the fact is that it's been barricaded by Senate, the executive arm of government. The problem slowing the wheel of government proposals and progress is that of too much federal bodies/decision-makers between the Govt and the Masses of which some are supposed to be scraped. I don't know why there should be Senate and National Assembly almost carrying out the same duty.One is suppose to stay and the other scraped. And majority of these unnecessary numerous federal bodies add to the expense of FG.
Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by tayork(m): 4:51pm On Nov 17, 2013
Phder: This is so unfair! I don't give a flying fck about the dead professor, just get back to class room and lets get the damn thing over with.

December is my deadline for ASUU, if they're still mourning by then, I swear am done with this sh1t hole you call a country.
Lol then travel out nau before you start blowing America grammar trash....,o one is holding u

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by mckorode(m): 5:06pm On Nov 17, 2013
Davo93: Your suggestion is a nice vibrant one but so useless to be applied to the current system on ground in our nation Nigeria.

Like you said, i agree with you that the cost of our tertiary education is reasonably cheap but escalating the cost at the aim of getting quality education can be suicidal to it.

Before you can consider raising the cost of anything, you have to consider the people you are producing those goods for. Are they financially capable to have it? A lot of Nigerians are out there working VERY hard to be able to afford that education you called cheap for their wards. Increasing the cost of education without the putting in place necessary measures to make up for it is not good for Nigeria at this time.

Why do you think Nigerians vehemently protested Jonathan's fuel subisidy removal? It is not that they don't know the deregulation of the downstream sector is a nice policy but because they don't trust the government and more importantly, no adequate measures on ground to reduce the effect of such policy on citizens.

As for me, i don't see any difference in your proposal to that of the subsidy removal.

Well like I said...mentality..we all know the fuel subsidy protest was a joke and most protests where rallies or concerts and people were having fun and making money.why do you think just getting the degree(paper) is more important than the quality of education. Even in the US not everyone goes to college and you are almost unable to tell the difference between a high school and college grad at first sight because of the quality even at junior level.back when education was quality that's when my grandmother of 80yrs went to primary school(standard 6) and up till now she can read novels,magazines and inspirational books.that's what quality can do.

Nigeria wants to setup automobile factories..who will work their? Graduates? Goto china and you will find that people working in those factories and exporting companies are highschool grads and may have diploma in business English for those who do sales.
A lot of things cannot be done with certain mentality.everything can't be handed down to you by govt...forget corruption now..for 150milion people nigeria is not oil rich in anyway.We are broke.so you can't expect them to do everything for you.
Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by Davo93(m): 5:38pm On Nov 17, 2013
mckorode:

Well like I said...mentality..we all know the fuel subsidy protest was a joke and most protests where rallies or concerts and people were having fun and making money.why do you think just getting the degree(paper) is more important than the quality of education. Even in the US not everyone goes to college and you are almost unable to tell the difference between a high school and college grad at first sight because of the quality even at junior level.back when education was quality that's when my grandmother of 80yrs went to primary school(standard 6) and up till now she can read novels,magazines and inspirational books.that's what quality can do.

Nigeria wants to setup automobile factories..who will work their? Graduates? Goto china and you will find that people working in those factories and exporting companies are highschool grads and may have diploma in business English for those who do sales.
A lot of things cannot be done with certain mentality.everything can't be handed down to you by govt...forget corruption now..for 150milion people nigeria is not oil rich in anyway.We are broke.so you can't expect them to do everything for you.
So what exactly is your point sir?
Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by Davo93(m): 5:38pm On Nov 17, 2013
mckorode:

So what exactly is your point sir?
Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by Nobody: 6:30pm On Nov 17, 2013
tayor_k:
Lol then travel out nau before you start blowing America grammar trash....,o one is holding u

IDGAF about what you think! You don't have to tell me what to do.
Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by mckorode(m): 7:29pm On Nov 17, 2013
Davo93: So what exactly is your point sir?
Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by mvem(m): 10:01pm On Nov 17, 2013
ades111: Abegi,wen yaradua nd abiola die,y dem no declare 1+month....idioctic old fools callin der sey academic union.....small time,na to curse govt say dem dey reckless wif money....jus beginin 2 hate ASUU nd der good 4 ntin cause.
......stop ranting and do smth
Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by Nobody: 4:21am On Nov 18, 2013
isaacosas01: the person that spread this rumors should be fished out and stoned 2 death

So Wen z dis strike goin 2 end
#ques_of _d__year
After the world cup
Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by sweetkevisco(m): 9:12am On Nov 18, 2013
Are you an upcoming rapper,singer?
We are currently registering
upcoming artistes for
numerous musical shows
slated for december.Selected
artistes will earn at least 20
thousand naira per show. Send your track and bio to
musicpromoter9ja@mail.com.
Re: ASUU Strike: Union Confirms NEC Meeting Did Not Hold On Saturday, Nov 16 2013 by Austinei7(m): 9:22am On Nov 18, 2013
na wa o...any idea on wen they are meeting?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

In 400 Level But No Admission Letter / Two Sisters Graduate As Medical Doctors (Photos) / WAEC Timetable 2020/2021 – Check Updated Timetable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.