Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make (32488 Views)

10 Mistakes Job Seekers Make … And How to Avoid Them / Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews / The Biggest Mistakes 20-something Job Seekers Make - Forbes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Nobody: 10:30pm On Nov 17, 2013
I just tried it but it didn't work
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Nobody: 10:34pm On Nov 17, 2013
its not working. Airtel

launches 5mb for 5naira www.nairaland.com/1520754/airtel-introduces-5mb-package-just#1520754.1[/quote]
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by xptony(m): 10:36pm On Nov 17, 2013
how can this country develop with people thinking the way you do? Seems you derive pleasure seeing people perish for their ignorance. Pls check that attitude.
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Michelyr3(m): 12:27am On Nov 18, 2013
Thebrightest: People believe that i like not to say what i did not want to not say i said, because saying what was not said i say, may not have a say in what i did not say i won't say. This made me say that, not saying what people didn't say was not said by people, have no way of not really making me not to say the things not said.
So, in other words, i don't like saying what many did not say i didn't say i said, without not saying the said reason it wouldn't have not been said.
ANYWAY NICE STATUS.
what is dis one saying, OMG MANGO IS OUT,
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Nobody: 1:26am On Nov 18, 2013
Thebrightest: People believe that i like not to say what i did not want to not say i said, because saying what was not said i say, may not have a say in what i did not say i won't say. This made me say that, not saying what people didn't say was not said by people, have no way of not really making me not to say the things not said.
So, in other words, i don't like saying what many did not say i didn't say i said, without not saying the said reason it wouldn't have not been said.
ANYWAY NICE STATUS.
What is this one saying?
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by jovichi: 2:35am On Nov 18, 2013
Jarus: Silly Mistakes Jobseekers Make During Application Or When Submitting Their CVs For Job Openings.

Thanks jarus, quite informative. I need clarification on point 6. For online application, how do we send our CVs without having to scan them? #amguiltyofpoint6#

1. Sending mail without attachment: We sometimes make this mistake during our correspondences by sending mail and forgetting to attach the required documents, until the recipient of the mail call our attention to it. Unfortunately, Jobseekers don’t enjoy such luxury. No matter the number of applications you send without attaching your CV, be rest assured of not being shortlisted for interview.

2. Sending mail without content: This may look harmless but trust me, a recruiter won’t find it funny if he opens an application and the only message in the mail reads: “Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN” with the subject “my CV or my application”. This is exactly what some applicants do, yet they expect to be invited for interview.

3. Sending mail without cover letter: Most job seekers send out applications without cover letter. I personally don’t give too much weight to cover letters (especially if it is online application) because I hardly read them, and many HR professionals don’t either. You are however sending signal of an unserious job applicant if I open your mail and there is no form of introduction at least about yourself and what you are applying for (even if I did not read the content). I must quickly say most of us don’t read the cover letters because we want to access as many CV as possible and the time spent reading one cover letter is enough to read another CV. God help you if I have limited CVs and I am interested in reading your cover letter and you have none or you send hard copy of your CV without cover letter.

4. Group application: I have received applications from multiple candidates through a single source at once and I have also received applications that have been forwarded to many other companies before I received them and I kept asking myself if those applicants really wanted the job or they were just testing their skills on the usage of the internet. Yet they wanted me to invite them (as unserious as they were) for interview.

5. Not following instructions: Due to the volume of applications we receive, HR professionals device means of separating each of the advertised positions. In doing this, we either formulate code for each job or give each of the job a particular ‘subject of the mail’. But funny enough most jobseekers just ignore these instructions and follow their own regular way of applying for jobs. Little did they know that the complex application instructions are sometimes used to test their willingness to follow instruction and attend to details if employed.

6. Sending scanned CVs: Sometimes I find it hard to understand why applicants go the extra mile of scanning their CVs before attaching and sending it when no instruction told them to do so. And in most cases those scanned CVs were never well scanned; what I still do not understand is whether they were actually scanned or snapped with phones, and of course sent to a friend to help them apply for a job they know next to nothing about.

7. Inaccessible CVs: I sometimes wonder why, despite all the software on my system, I still cannot open some CV’s. I have not met any hiring manager who will go out of his way just to open a CV to enable him invite the candidate for interview. Simple MS word is enough, except otherwise instructed. I wonder where the complication is coming from.

8. Being Too eager for the job: There is no crime in contacting the hiring manager if you have his contact, but when your calls begin to distract/disturb him, he begins to have a rethink about you, if hiring you will not be a problem to the company. Except you have a personal relationship with him and that should not be abused either.

9. Not applying early: This is an aspect many jobseekers take for granted. By practice all advert should have at least a week window for application, but in reality, the CV’s of the first set of people who applied for the job are considered, except where the job attracts limited applications or CV’s sorted electronically. We can imagine how many cases of the exceptions abound.

10. READ 1-9 AGAIN

http://www.jarushub.com/10-silly-mistakes-job-seekers-make-i/
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Layiwoo(m): 4:24am On Nov 18, 2013
@Jarus Kindly follow me back i want to PM u on some tin,...am a professional colleague.thanks in anticipation
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Nobody: 6:22am On Nov 18, 2013
Olugbenger: Jarus, you need to stop exposing all these secrets. You are making the market too competitive even against the smart ones, who would have known all these and should get the job.
I'm sure some ignorant folks would still fail to learn from this.
U must be really madt for ur comment. Ignorant fool! Na stupeed pple like u dey spoil Nija. Greedy asshoole, Moderforking basterd
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by anitank(f): 6:35am On Nov 18, 2013
Seun: You're lying
This is just too funny grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Nobody: 6:42am On Nov 18, 2013
With respect to item7, it is actually better to send cv as pdf imho. That is a universal format. I have had instances of documents created in word 2013 losing formatting when opened in word 2003 or 2007. Some also have issues printing out.

You also need to include a pt raised by ajanlekoko about cv being 3 pages or less
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Nobody: 6:59am On Nov 18, 2013
kodred: 11. They tink praying to God would guarantee the job
Praying to God got me a job mid-2013 in a multinational org. Prayer still works in this century.

1 Like

Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by therealMcCain: 7:12am On Nov 18, 2013
@jarus
Nice work, pls do you still review CVs??
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Nobody: 7:34am On Nov 18, 2013
Jarus: Silly Mistakes Jobseekers Make During Application Or When Submitting Their CVs For Job Openings.

1. Sending mail without attachment: We sometimes make this mistake during our correspondences by sending mail and forgetting to attach the required documents, until the recipient of the mail call our attention to it. Unfortunately, Jobseekers don’t enjoy such luxury. No matter the number of applications you send without attaching your CV, be rest assured of not being shortlisted for interview.

2. Sending mail without content: This may look harmless but trust me, a recruiter won’t find it funny if he opens an application and the only message in the mail reads: “Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN” with the subject “my CV or my application”. This is exactly what some applicants do, yet they expect to be invited for interview.

3. Sending mail without cover letter: Most job seekers send out applications without cover letter. I personally don’t give too much weight to cover letters (especially if it is online application) because I hardly read them, and many HR professionals don’t either. You are however sending signal of an unserious job applicant if I open your mail and there is no form of introduction at least about yourself and what you are applying for (even if I did not read the content). I must quickly say most of us don’t read the cover letters because we want to access as many CV as possible and the time spent reading one cover letter is enough to read another CV. God help you if I have limited CVs and I am interested in reading your cover letter and you have none or you send hard copy of your CV without cover letter.

4. Group application: I have received applications from multiple candidates through a single source at once and I have also received applications that have been forwarded to many other companies before I received them and I kept asking myself if those applicants really wanted the job or they were just testing their skills on the usage of the internet. Yet they wanted me to invite them (as unserious as they were) for interview.

5. Not following instructions: Due to the volume of applications we receive, HR professionals device means of separating each of the advertised positions. In doing this, we either formulate code for each job or give each of the job a particular ‘subject of the mail’. But funny enough most jobseekers just ignore these instructions and follow their own regular way of applying for jobs. Little did they know that the complex application instructions are sometimes used to test their willingness to follow instruction and attend to details if employed.

6. Sending scanned CVs: Sometimes I find it hard to understand why applicants go the extra mile of scanning their CVs before attaching and sending it when no instruction told them to do so. And in most cases those scanned CVs were never well scanned; what I still do not understand is whether they were actually scanned or snapped with phones, and of course sent to a friend to help them apply for a job they know next to nothing about.

7. Inaccessible CVs: I sometimes wonder why, despite all the software on my system, I still cannot open some CV’s. I have not met any hiring manager who will go out of his way just to open a CV to enable him invite the candidate for interview. Simple MS word is enough, except otherwise instructed. I wonder where the complication is coming from.

8. Being Too eager for the job: There is no crime in contacting the hiring manager if you have his contact, but when your calls begin to distract/disturb him, he begins to have a rethink about you, if hiring you will not be a problem to the company. Except you have a personal relationship with him and that should not be abused either.

9. Not applying early: This is an aspect many jobseekers take for granted. By practice all advert should have at least a week window for application, but in reality, the CV’s of the first set of people who applied for the job are considered, except where the job attracts limited applications or CV’s sorted electronically. We can imagine how many cases of the exceptions abound.

10. READ 1-9 AGAIN

http://www.jarushub.com/10-silly-mistakes-job-seekers-make-i/
sir,can i mail you my CV?
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Nobody: 7:55am On Nov 18, 2013
Psamuelle:

Mr knw all, I can see U̶̲̥̅̊ re very perfect. Op U̶̲̥̅̊ re on point joor esp no 10.

This is not a matter of knowing aLl. I just didn't expect someone of Jarus' calibre to make such mistake.
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by lovelyayo(m): 8:08am On Nov 18, 2013
lol
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Donfaray(m): 8:13am On Nov 18, 2013
Get a Godfather... That's all
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by AjanleKoko: 8:16am On Nov 18, 2013
oyb:
You also need to include a pt raised by ajanlekoko about cv being 3 pages or less

For people with very extensive work/project experience and training, you may be able to get away with 3 pages.
For the rest of us, 2 pages. For freshers, anything after one page, nobody is going to read it. You are a fresher after all, what are you writing there?
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Homme(m): 8:17am On Nov 18, 2013
Thanks so much.
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 18, 2013
AjanleKoko:

For people with very extensive work/project experience and training, you may be able to get away with 3 pages.
For the rest of us, 2 pages. For freshers, anything after one page, nobody is going to read it. You are a fresher after all, what are you writing there?

NYSC experience, IT experience , holiday job cheesy cheesy. . .

1 Like

Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Homme(m): 8:19am On Nov 18, 2013
Thanks so much...
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by chinaaman(f): 8:21am On Nov 18, 2013
Nice post.
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by FILEBE(m): 8:38am On Nov 18, 2013
Abeg! Op. If u go give person job give am. Which one be don't post tru multiple source? Brother John no get money buy laptop,he went to cyber cafe,droped his c.v to be sent later due to our erractic internet services. Then the cafe attendant decided to kill 10birds with 1 stone by send every oda c.vs along with urs to same address. How wil u judge him?
I swear. That's y i don't like working 4 someone. Two mch unneccesary formalties! U say he shudn't b desperate abi? 10yrs and he neva get job. Wetin make he do? Non-challant hoping u call him? Pls Op and all H.rs please always try to be considerate we are humans not computers!

Dear Jobseekers. Pls go and learn handworks. They are better. God help u and you make it,u sef go dey employ na.
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by hillsate: 9:26am On Nov 18, 2013
Mintayo: Nice but i don't really get that number 4,can someone explain better?

The number 4 issue mostly happens to people who apply through a third party website.
Some websites demand that you make applications through them just to create traffic to their websites then it is now forwarded to the requesting organisation. The organisation sees the emails coming in bulk and from a single source. Be wary of applying through third party websites.

1 Like

Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by abolem369(m): 10:44am On Nov 18, 2013
13. Always be on point!
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by kasillars(m): 11:33am On Nov 18, 2013
@op. I seems 2 av a lil problem of what and how my content should look lyk. Pls can we jst av a brief example of what a content shud b lyk?
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Layiwoo(m): 11:58am On Nov 18, 2013
Layiwoo: @Jarus Kindly follow me back i want to PM u on some tin,...am a professional colleague.thanks in anticipation
cry cry cry
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Krysstie: 8:12pm On Nov 18, 2013
tobiflink:

This is not a matter of knowing aLl. I just didn't expect someone of Jarus' calibre to make such mistake.

Jarus' calibre? Who's he, pls.....
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by 2mNaira: 9:18pm On Nov 18, 2013
tobiflink: Thanks, but one thing, why did you type CVs as CV's?

To show possession.That's English.
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Nobody: 9:51am On Nov 19, 2013
Layiwoo: @Jarus Kindly follow me back i want to PM u on some tin,...am a professional colleague.thanks in anticipation
email jarushub@gmail.com
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Nobody: 9:58am On Nov 19, 2013
tobiflink:

without intending to shelve responsibility as owner and editor of the blog, let me state that the article was written by one of my writers (who's an HOUR professional). If you opened the link you should have seen that. That still doesn't mean Jarus himself cannot make errors. I do.
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by Nobody: 10:08am On Nov 19, 2013
therealMcCain: @jarus
Nice work, pls do you still review CVs??
jarushub@gmail.com
Re: 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make by AjanleKoko: 10:47am On Nov 19, 2013
oyb:

NYSC experience, IT experience , holiday job cheesy cheesy. . .

All of that can still fit into one page. A simple format for a one-page CV is as follows:

<Insert Name, personal details, and contacts (address and phone)>

EDUCATION
<insert college or equivalent education>
<insert secondary education>

PROJECT PARTICIPATION
<list of any projects you have been involved with>

WORK EXPERIENCE
<any IT, NYSC, or holiday job can fit in here>

REFERENCES
Available on Request.

Shikena. That can easily finish on one page.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Online Paid Survey Site That Pays Nigerians! / He Said I Should Grease His Bed For A Job But I Politely Turned Him Down / Stephen Soleye, 21-Year-Old First Class Graduate Gets New Job With Rolls Royce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.