Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,179 members, 7,864,078 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 11:17 AM

Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA (2920 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 2:16pm On Nov 29, 2013
The increase in tuition fees would also help in the refurbishment of lecture halls and laboratories to a standard level that will be acceptable the world over. The increase would also serve as an incentive to both the lecturers and students to give their best. The unserious students would take their studies more seriously if they pay a high price to stay in school. They would endeavour to give their best, so that they can pay back the huge investments spent on them when they get high paying jobs.

I don't quite agree with this. A student that would be serious would be regardless of how much he pays. Have you been to private universities to see the level of unseriousness displayed by some students over there?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Miscellaneous(m): 2:18pm On Nov 29, 2013
Debaters should please expantiate on their answers to questions.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 2:19pm On Nov 29, 2013
Davo93: To buttress this question, you have to understand that an increase in the tuition fees in our public schools does not equate to an improved welfare for the lecturers. So you can't conclude that an increase in fees brings the required development.

I also want the speaker to understand that there could be infrastructural development while the quality of knowledge impacted on students decline.

since the funds are strictly for the universities development it will definitely increase the welfare of the lectures not only will the issue of ASUU strike reduce we will have qualified lectures in our schools
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 2:19pm On Nov 29, 2013
king94: I am not a student there, according to my friends there, there is an improvement in the educational standard. There is also an increase in the number of applicants seeking for admission into LASU in my locality which says a lot about the educational standard.

The competition out there these days is tough and everybody just wants to get admitted into a university, state universities are a little bit on the easier side, hence, your second sentence. I don't think increase in the number of applicants means increase in educational standard.

As per your first sentence, I don't think I agree with that cos there are no research-based facts to support the statement. The research-based facts don't even put any state university among the first 10 universities in Nigeria.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by king94(m): 2:19pm On Nov 29, 2013
Davo93: Good Afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

The debaters have both written well. More ink to your pen.

My question goes to King94,
In your write-up, you obviously admitted the possibility of your opponent to say the hike in school fees may not be affordable by the less privileged. You argued there are scholarship for the brilliant poor ones. I want to ask, what is the fate of an average poor citizen who is not able to meet up with the set standard for the scholarship? We all understand what it means to get a scholarship in our country here except we are not just been real with ourselves. This is not also in exception to the corruption in the processes most atimes.

Thanks!
I am a beneficiary of my states' bursary and I will like to define myself as not being the most 'brilliant'. I agree with you on the corruption aspect but the cases are few in student bursaries. Poor average students can have a shot at state bursaries. The increase would also push them to develop themselves so that they can have a shot at private scholarships.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 2:20pm On Nov 29, 2013
niyi20:

the state universities are only using the funds for state development not for the universities but the fg won't do that the funds will be strickly meant for universities

How do you know the FG won't do that?

Which brings up another issue, what is the assurance that the fees paid would be tailored towards better academic conditions?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 29, 2013
alutacontinua:

How do you know the FG won't do that?

Which brings up another issue, what is the assurance that the fees paid would be tailored towards better academic conditions?

we all know that government institutions are not meant for profit making so with the helps of different organization or bodies the funds will be well monitor to ensure that it is properly used for universities development
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by king94(m): 2:27pm On Nov 29, 2013
alutacontinua:

I don't quite agree with this. A student that would be serious would be regardless of how much he pays. Have you been to private universities to see the level of unseriousness displayed by some students over there?
You have a point. All students can't be serious,no matter what.Permit me to use my brother as a case study.He went to a private university and he came out with a first class result.He wasn't the most brilliant. However, he said that when he thought of the amount our parents were paying to keep him in school, he had no choice but to come out with the best result possible. The fear of making all that money go to waste actually spurred him on during his four years there.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Miscellaneous(m): 2:28pm On Nov 29, 2013
Debaters more questions are springing up. The questions need to be answered.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 29, 2013
alutacontinua:

sure a students knowing how difficult it is for is parents to pay is school fees will definitely attach some seriousness to what ever is doing .
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 2:33pm On Nov 29, 2013
Miscellaneous: Debaters more questions are springing up. The questions need to be answered.

we are doing Justice to there questions
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Davo93(m): 2:33pm On Nov 29, 2013
king94: I am a beneficiary of my states' bursary and I will like to define myself as not being the most 'brilliant'. I agree with you on the corruption aspect but the cases are few in student bursaries. Poor average students can have a shot at state bursaries. The increase would also push them to develop themselves so that they can have a shot at private scholarships.
Bursary? How many state pay bursary to students? Even those that pay, how much is it that it will be sufficient for the increased fees you are agitating for?

Let me be a bit pratical here. Ondo State government pays N10,000 as bursary, same thing with Ekiti State. Osun only gives bursary award to students in there final year.

So tell me how effective bursary can be? Infact for those that pay, there is no fixed time for payment. Hence, it may not meet up with the exact time needed.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 2:33pm On Nov 29, 2013
niyi20:

the state universities are only using the funds for state development not for the universities but the fg won't do that the funds will be strickly meant for universities

niyi20:
we all know that government institutions are not meant for profit making so with the helps of different organization or bodies the funds will be well monitor to ensure that it is properly used for universities development

I must say the two statements above don't quite agree with each other. Are you now saying we would have to set up bodies or organization to look into the way government spends the fees paid by students? How practical is that?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by king94(m): 2:34pm On Nov 29, 2013
alutacontinua:

The competition out there these days is tough and everybody just wants to get admitted into a university, state universities are a little bit on the easier side, hence, your second sentence. I don't think increase in the number of applicants means increase in educational standard.

As per your first sentence, I don't think I agree with that cos there are no research-based facts to support the statement. The research-based facts don't even put any state university among the first 10 universities in Nigeria.
The competiton for spaces in universities has always been there. There has to be a correlation between the improved standard and the increase in admission applications.I said that you can't push those at the top away. They are not there yet but at the rate they are going, they will get there.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 2:36pm On Nov 29, 2013
niyi20:

sure a students knowing how difficult it is for is parents to pay is school fees will definitely attach some seriousness to what ever is doing .

Do you even realise that increase in tuition does not necessarily mean 'difficulty for parents'?
There are students who pay almost a million per annum and their parents don't even feel it. It's much more easier for such parents than some other parents who pay N10,000 per annum. In this case, do we say the increase in fees automatically means increase in seriousness on the part of the student?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Miscellaneous(m): 2:36pm On Nov 29, 2013
niyi20:

we are doing Justice to there questions

seems they are not yet convinced
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 29, 2013
alutacontinua:

I must say the two statements above don't quite agree with each other. Are you now saying we would have to set up bodies or organization to look into the way government spends the fees paid by students? How practical is that?

to give more explanation to my point I will use the removal of subsidy. Government sets up bodies to ensure that the funds from subsidy is use effectively so we should be expecting similar method
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by king94(m): 2:44pm On Nov 29, 2013
Davo93: Bursary? How many state pay bursary to students? Even those that pay, how much is it that it will be sufficient for the increased fees you are agitating for?

Let me be a bit pratical here. Ondo State government pays N10,000 as bursary, same thing with Ekiti State. Osun only gives bursary award to students in there final year.

So tell me how effective bursary can be? Infact for those that pay, there is no fixed time for payment. Hence, it may not meet up with the exact time needed.
If you read my essay,you would find the portion where I stated that it is meant to temper the burden. True, it doesn't cover everything but it helps. Most private scholarships asks for candidates with nothing less than a 3.5gpa. Poor students would have to look for a means to pay the tuition fees till they are able to apply for private scholarships that pay more.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by king94(m): 2:51pm On Nov 29, 2013
alutacontinua:

Do you even realise that increase in tuition does not necessarily mean 'difficulty for parents'?
There are students who pay almost a million per annum and their parents don't even feel it. It's much more easier for such parents than some other parents who pay N10,000 per annum. In this case, do we say the increase in fees automatically means increase in seriousness on the part of the student?
A lecturer that taught me Chemistry 101 said that 'Even if your father stole the money that he is using to send you to school,he will surely feel the pinch'. A child is usually admonished at home before the start of every semester. The onus now rests on the child to either pass well or fail woefully. A child that has a conscience would take his studies seriously due to the huge amount that his parents are paying
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Miscellaneous(m): 2:53pm On Nov 29, 2013
Are the judges and audience convinced ? If no, let the questions keep coming.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 2:55pm On Nov 29, 2013
king94: A lecturer that taught me Chemistry 101 said that 'Even if your father stole the money that he is using to send you to school,he will surely feel the pinch'. A child is usually admonished at home before the start of every semester. The onus now rests on the child to either pass well or fail woefully. A child that has a conscience would take his studies seriously due to the huge amount that his parents are paying

A child that has a conscience would take his studies seriously even if the parents are paying N20. A child that has no conscience won't even if they're paying N20 million. Don't you think
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 2:56pm On Nov 29, 2013
niyi20:

to give more explanation to my point I will use the removal of subsidy. Government sets up bodies to ensure that the funds from subsidy is use effectively so we should be expecting similar method

So, you really think in a country like ours, the government would set up a committee to look into how the tuition fees of students is being spent?

Come on, be practical! cool
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by king94(m): 3:02pm On Nov 29, 2013
alutacontinua:

A child that has a conscience would take his studies seriously even if the parents are paying N20. A child that has no conscience won't even if they're paying N20 million. Don't you think
An added impetus to pr.ick the conscience of a student is the amount the parents pay. Some students would improve if there is a hike in fees(some won't change, no matter what). If a child is given the best and he still refuses to learn, the parent might decide to stop funding his huge fees till he changes his way.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Miscellaneous(m): 3:05pm On Nov 29, 2013
Debaters can now give final finishings to their arguements as we round up.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Fynestboi: 3:14pm On Nov 29, 2013
Judges please start compiling the results as debaters also respond to audience questions
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 29, 2013
alutacontinua:

research have it that an average Nigerian lives on 2 dollar daily now tell me which schools are the children of the average ones going to attend definitely its the public universities so we will have more parents who are paying this school fees with difficulty and which results in pressure on there children to perform well
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by king94(m): 3:17pm On Nov 29, 2013
Ladies and gentlemen, we can go back and forth and we would still not reach unison on the issues discussed. However, I want you all to know that there can't be an improvement in our educational standard without a steady influx of money to each universities' internally generated revenue(IGR). The government are trying their best but it is not just enough. More money needs to be pumped into the system. I have a resounding faith that our universities would get better. True, the policy might seem harsh but I can assure you that it is for the betterment of our university system. We have no other choice. The status quo is no longer maintanable. Thank you and God bless.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Nobody: 3:23pm On Nov 29, 2013
king94: Ladies and gentlemen, we can go back and forth and we would still not reach unison on the issues discussed. However, I want you all to know that there can't be an improvement in our educational standard without a steady influx of money to each universities' internally generated revenue(IGR). The government are trying their best but it is not just enough. More money needs to be pumped into the system. I have a resounding faith that our universities would get better. True, the policy might seem harsh but I can assure you that it is for the betterment of our university system. We have no other choice. The status quo is no longer maintanable. Thank you and God bless.

My chief debater have said it all it might seems harsh but we just can't continue in this way students have been at home for the past 5 month and still counting we need to do it if they refuse its our future not theirs thanks
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by king94(m): 3:23pm On Nov 29, 2013
A big thank you also goes to alutacontinua and davo93 for making the debate lively.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Miscellaneous(m): 3:32pm On Nov 29, 2013
the scores will soon be updated
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Miscellaneous(m): 3:38pm On Nov 29, 2013
judges should please send the scores to the required email
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:::Winner: FUTA by Miscellaneous(m): 3:50pm On Nov 29, 2013
no question will be entertained as from this moment.

let's wait for our judges

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FUTA Changes Her Vision, Mission And Core Values Of The School / These 13 Historical Images Actually Existed. / Disregard The Fake News About School Resumption On September (see Full Summary)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.