Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,601 members, 7,823,613 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! (17169 Views)

Some Nigerian Voters Visit 'Babalawo' To See Who Go Win Btw GMB And GEJ(pics) / Igbos Change Your Way And Be Love By All / Who Is More Handsome Btw Desmond Elliot N Jim Iyke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by lobell: 6:46pm On Nov 19, 2013
Ok, I finally snapped today after seeing one more comment starting with 'between'. If I don't address this issue now I might strangle myself next time I see one.
The commentators have seen, I presume, a comment starting with 'btw' and assumed rather erroneously that it was a short form for the word 'between' and have gone ahead to use it in its long form never minding to query if the comment they saw made complete sense if 'btw' was replaced with 'between'. Plus nothing stops one from asking if one doesn't know. The Hausas have a proverb that says "matambayi baya bata - meaning, he who asks never gets lost".

Please my fellow Nairalanders if you don't understand something, anything, just ask. It doesn't make you unintelligent but rather makes you smarter for next time instead of assuming and looking like an *** or worst still leading other learners astray!
my two kobos worth!

PS: If you are reading this and have ever used 'between' in place of 'btw' please go and fix it. NOW!

58 Likes 6 Shares

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by borntobegr8t(m): 7:06pm On Nov 19, 2013
Very well noted...but can u also tell us the meaning of "over sabi" cos I want to know the meaning # English teacher #

36 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by lobell: 7:12pm On Nov 19, 2013
born_to_be_gr8t: Very well noted...but can u also tell us the meaning of "over sabi" cos I want to know the meaning # English teacher #
You can call it whatever you want and make snide comments but the truth is that these things have a way of creeping into and replacing the correct use of English. I'd rather do over sabi and save someone an epic embarrassment.

79 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by borntobegr8t(m): 7:17pm On Nov 19, 2013
lobell:
You can call it whatever you want and make snide comments but the truth is that these things have a way of creeping into and replacing the correct use of English. I'd rather do over sabi and save someone an epic embarrassment.

Jus fooling around with u gringrin no vex

3 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by TharyeS(m): 7:23pm On Nov 19, 2013
lobell:
Hausa people sev don dey correct mistake. Ehn ehn. Life go beter o

12 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by lobell: 7:51pm On Nov 19, 2013
born_to_be_gr8t:

Jus fooling around with u gringrin no vex
Bros...I no vex. The observation might not necessarily apply to you...

5 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by lobell: 7:54pm On Nov 19, 2013
Tharye S.:
Hausa people sev don dey correct mistake. Ehn ehn. Life go beter o
Hausa people?! dude can you stop being ethnicist and smell the fresh coffee. Let's stop doing this to ourselves and address issues with a better sense of judgement and understanding. c'mon!

44 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by TharyeS(m): 7:58pm On Nov 19, 2013
lobell:
Hausa people?! dude can you stop being ethnicist and smell the fresh coffee. Let's stop doing this to ourselves and address issues with a better sense of judgement and understanding. c'mon!
dnt be annoyd. Wuz jez kinda marveled.

4 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Youngsage: 9:59pm On Nov 19, 2013
@O.P Thanks for taking the effort to make this post to educate those who were ignorant. Av been observing this trend for quite a while now... But serzly how would 'between' start a sentence and precede a comma? Well...

4 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by lobell: 10:13pm On Nov 19, 2013
Youngsage: @O.P Thanks for taking the effort to make this post to educate those who were ignorant. Av been observing this trend for quite a while now... But serzly how would 'between' start a sentence and precede a comma? Well...
I tire...

2 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Codedeben: 11:37pm On Dec 13, 2013
I won't also be happy if I refused to correct u OP.
99% of those that write between in lieu of btw is purely as a result of the "autocorrect" feature on their phone, which automatically replaces each abbreviated words with the full (supposed) text. For instance, hr in some phone would be corrected to "hour" and same thing goes for the issue at hand.

You should have known this. We're in the age of abbreviation(annoying though), subsequently most writers don't and wouldn't have that luxury of writing that between in full for whatever u thought they wanted to replace it with. Is it the same youth of nowadays that couldn't write "her" in full but would rather write "ha"(just a letter short) that you now expect to write such a long word as "between" as a replacement for "btw"

This happens mostlly on Androids and Blackberries. The problem is , most people don't proof-read their comment, hence they don't correct mistakes like that to the intended word.

"Btw" is replaced by the autocorrect feature on phone to "between".

10 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by lobell: 11:56pm On Dec 13, 2013
Codedeben: I won't also be happy if I refused to correct u OP.
99% of those that write between in lieu of btw is purely as a result of the "autocorrect" feature on their phone, which automatically replaces each abbreviated words with the full (supposed) text. For instance, hr in some phone would be corrected to "hour" and same thing goes for the issue at hand.

You should have known this. We're in the age of abbreviation(annoying though), subsequently most writers don't and wouldn't have that luxury of writing that between in full for whatever u thought they wanted to replace it with. Is it the same youth of nowadays that couldn't write "her" in full but would rather write "ha"(just a letter short) that you now expect to write such a long word as "between" as a replacement for "btw"

This happens mostlly on Androids and Blackberries.

Hmmm! That's a thought! Only if true and not just due to laziness...but that's btw!
I believe and very strongly too that one should take responsibility for what one does or says, especially in public. Therefore it is one's duty to go over what one has written or said and make the necessary correction. No one is above mistakes but the ability to recognize and fix your faults tells a lot about who you are and how you will approach other issues. Just saying.

17 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Opiletool(m): 10:43am On Nov 01, 2018
I was about creating a thread for this purpose before spotting this one.

It is quite shameful that people still make this mistake even in 2018.

Lalasticlala can you please push to FP in order to enlighten those that been in this circle of error.

You guys still don't get it do you? OK let me explain.

Recently, when people are typing, they mostly shorten 'by the way' using the acronym BTW. Then, some people do confuse this as 'between'. Hence, it's not uncommon to see someone type or say a sentence using 'between' where 'by the way' is supposed to be applied. For instance, I read a post on nairaland today where a guy addressed a female Monika as 'he'. In a bid to correct the op, the female replied by typing ~in addition to her comment~ "between, I am female".

Now can you spot the grammatical blunder? I think 'between' as no business in that statement.

I have come across so many people that keep making this mistake(except it is no longer a mistake) I stand to be corrected. We all learn everyday.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by gurunlocker: 2:20pm On Nov 01, 2018
Who doesn't know this?
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Biglittlelois(f): 2:20pm On Nov 01, 2018
I disagree with Op, BTW has always mean BETWEEN right from the onset, even abbreviation on phones is like that, i was actually surprised when people started calling it By The Way recently.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by enemyofprogress: 2:20pm On Nov 01, 2018
Who cares?

2 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Mac2016(m): 2:20pm On Nov 01, 2018
We know that before nao

1 Like

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by ShitHead(m): 2:21pm On Nov 01, 2018
This is a ground breaking discovery!

Nigerian youths are not lazy!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by TRUSTEDGUY: 2:22pm On Nov 01, 2018
For goodness sake,this is a chat forum not an English class

1 Like

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by ionsman: 2:23pm On Nov 01, 2018
I prefer spelling it out completely because I noticed some people feel it's Between...
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Mahsums: 2:23pm On Nov 01, 2018
2013 lipsrsealed
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Monaco2(m): 2:23pm On Nov 01, 2018
After 5 years e finally reach front page

1 Like

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 01, 2018
FP Walahi, mods no go make heaven. 5yrs to pick OP call.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 01, 2018
Na Lie
BTW mean B efore T he W eekend

If you think say na only you sabi English shortand.

The Moderator that move this thread to Front Page is a stupid one.
How can you move 2013 thread to Front Page in 2018. Even Namadi Sambo no one remember that Ghost worker again
Make una mind una self o, because i hate rough play.

5 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by empressteemah06(f): 2:24pm On Nov 01, 2018
Lol.. I have always known it is by the way...
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Kennedy94(m): 2:25pm On Nov 01, 2018
to be sincere,I do think it was between not until today

thanks for the info
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Eyedea(m): 2:25pm On Nov 01, 2018
I thought everyone knew this.

1 Like

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 01, 2018
Anyhow lol I hate typing short sef
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by femi4: 2:26pm On Nov 01, 2018
Nonsense, In a chat world, anything can mean anything. If its not an English world, its not universally accepted to have just one meaning

18 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by bigkahuna704(m): 2:26pm On Nov 01, 2018
YOU TIE ROPE FOR GOAT, YOU TIE GOAT FOR ROPE. ALL JOIN

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 01, 2018
I’m never good with these abbreviations

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ASUU's 48 Hours Deadline: We Are Yet To Hear From Government - Osodeke / Man Graduates With 1st Class In Same City He Was Jailed For 4 Years / Usmanu Danfodiyo University Student Dies After His Final Year Exam (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.