Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! (17166 Views)

Some Nigerian Voters Visit 'Babalawo' To See Who Go Win Btw GMB And GEJ(pics) / Igbos Change Your Way And Be Love By All / Who Is More Handsome Btw Desmond Elliot N Jim Iyke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by davibid: 2:27pm On Nov 01, 2018
These abbreviations are really causing a lot of problems in our society

Imagine someone using this abbreviations in their application letters
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Realname: 2:27pm On Nov 01, 2018
[s]
lobell:
Ok, I finally snapped today after seeing one more comment starting with 'between'. If I don't address this issue now I might strangle myself next time I see one.
The commentators have seen, I presume, a comment starting with 'btw' and assumed rather erroneously that it was a short form for the word 'between' and have gone ahead to use it in its long form never minding to query if the comment they saw made complete sense if 'btw' was replaced with 'between'. Plus nothing stops one from asking if one doesn't know. The Hausas have a proverb that says "matambayi baya bata - meaning, he who asks never gets lost".

Please my fellow Nairalanders if you don't understand something, anything, just ask. It doesn't make you unintelligent but rather makes you smarter for next time instead of assuming and looking like an *** or worst still leading other learners astray!
my two kobos worth!

PS: If you are reading this and have ever used 'between' in place of 'btw' please go and fix it. NOW!
[/s]

We do not care! Let's just pick buhari out !!!
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 01, 2018
Lol... Don't tell me people didn't know this sad
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Born2Breed(f): 2:27pm On Nov 01, 2018
borntobegr8t:
Very well noted...but can u also tell us the meaning of "over sabi" cos I want to know the meaning # English teacher #

TBH you are funny.
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by GOFRONT(m): 2:27pm On Nov 01, 2018
sad

Then na wetin com be the short form of "between"?

1 Like

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Flexy2vybes(m): 2:27pm On Nov 01, 2018
J
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by simplesearch: 2:28pm On Nov 01, 2018
There are many ways to abbreviate between and btw is one of them so no qualms.

1 Like

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by InvertedHammer: 2:29pm On Nov 01, 2018
lobell:
Ok, I finally snapped today after seeing one more comment starting with 'between'. If I don't address this issue now I might strangle myself next time I see one.
The commentators have seen, I presume, a comment starting with 'btw' and assumed rather erroneously that it was a short form for the word 'between' and have gone ahead to use it in its long form never minding to query if the comment they saw made complete sense if 'btw' was replaced with 'between'. Plus nothing stops one from asking if one doesn't know. The Hausas have a proverb that says "matambayi baya bata - meaning, he who asks never gets lost".

Please my fellow Nairalanders if you don't understand something, anything, just ask. It doesn't make you unintelligent but rather makes you smarter for next time instead of assuming and looking like an *** or worst still leading other learners astray!
my two kobos worth!

PS: If you are reading this and have ever used 'between' in place of 'btw' please go and fix it. NOW!
/
So if someone uses "btw" for between...what will you do?

/

2 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Reeberry: 2:31pm On Nov 01, 2018
ShitHead:
This is a ground breaking discovery!

Nigerian youths are not lazy!
You just knowing this?
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by itsmeurLady(f): 2:31pm On Nov 01, 2018
OP you are the one at fault here

BTW- By The Way (Chat Slangs and they are always in Cap. Letters)
btw- between (Abbreviation)

So don't accuse people for misunderstanding you... There is a difference between small letters in construction of sentences and capital letters. You don't start sentences with btw and expect them not to think it's between *rolls eyes
Don't quote me please, just my observation kiss

4 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by GreatDagon(m): 2:31pm On Nov 01, 2018
borntobegr8t:
Very well noted...but can u also tell us the meaning of "over sabi" cos I want to know the meaning # English teacher #

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by SirLakes: 2:33pm On Nov 01, 2018
wow...... Dry bone shall rise again

Since 2013 shocked

Lalasticlala

Congrats on your new born baby

� Snake man

1 Like

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by jericco1(m): 2:38pm On Nov 01, 2018
haba after all these years
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by 10mobile: 2:46pm On Nov 01, 2018
lobell:

Hausa people?! dude can you stop being ethnicist and smell the fresh coffee. Let's stop doing this to ourselves and address issues with a better sense of judgement and understanding. c'mon!
Learn not to respond to goats bleating. BTW, just to add to your effort, we used 'btw' for 'between' for jotting @ lectures long before we knew about www. BTW (capitalized) is 4 'By The Way' while 'btw' is 4 'between'.

2 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Sicilyjoe: 2:49pm On Nov 01, 2018
After 5years and it makes front page
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by daymeelarday(m): 2:49pm On Nov 01, 2018
It's a very common error people make ignorantly, but I choose to ignore it most times (as far as I understand what the person is trying to pass across). 'btw' stands for 'by the way' while 'between' can be abbreviated as 'b/w'.

1 Like

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by NoToPile: 2:52pm On Nov 01, 2018
Loool, I actually saw someone writing between in full where he was supposed to write BTW(by the way)

The abbreviation is not really my own issue its the usage.

You see statements like

Between bla bla bla

Instead of

By the way bla bla bla

The problem is using between where its supposed to be by the way.
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by 10mobile: 2:55pm On Nov 01, 2018
itsmeurLady:
OP you are the one at fault here

BTW- By The Way (Chat Slangs and they are always in Cap. Letters)
btw- between (Abbreviation)

So don't accuse people for misunderstanding you... There is a difference between small letters in construction of sentences and capital letters. You don't start sentences with btw and expect them not to think it's between *rolls eyes
Don't quote me please, just my observation kiss
& IF I quote u nko wetin u go do? Unfortunately, u r RIGHT. BTW & btw not d same movie.
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Kennydoc(m): 2:58pm On Nov 01, 2018
femi4:
Nonsense, In a chat world, anything can mean anything. If its not an English world, its not universally accepted to have just one meaning

The commentators have seen, I presume, a comment starting with 'btw' and assumed rather erroneously that it was a short form for the word 'between' and have gone ahead to use it in its long form never minding to query if the comment they saw made complete sense if 'btw' was replaced with 'between'.

The crux of the OP's discussion is what I highlighted in bold. He never said 'btw' cannot imply 'between'. He's only addressing the circumstances of use.

For example,
"Btw, hope you remember tomorrow is my bday" means "by the way, hope you remember..." and not "between, hope you remember..."

But, in a statement like "btw Abuja and Lagos cities, I prefer Abuja" , "btw" means "between" not "by the way".

I think the key thing is to speak the statement to yourself and ask if it makes sense before making it public.

2 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by lobell: 3:02pm On Nov 01, 2018
10mobile:

Learn not to respond to goats bleating. BTW, just to add to your effort, we used 'btw' for 'between' for jotting @ lectures long before we knew about www. BTW (capitalized) is 4 'By The Way' while 'btw' is 4 'between'.

I can tell that you are not part of the indomie generation.
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by lobell: 3:09pm On Nov 01, 2018
Kennydoc:

The crux of the OP's discussion is what I highlighted in bold. He never said 'btw' cannot imply 'between'. He's only addressing the circumstances of use.

For example,
"Btw, hope you remember tomorrow is my bday" means "by the way, hope you remember..." and not "between, hope you remember..."

But, in a statement like "btw Abuja and Lagos cities, I prefer Abuja" , "btw" means "between" not "by the way".

I think the key thing is to speak the statement to yourself and ask if it makes sense before making it public.

The oafs actually go as far as writing it in full! For example, "In between, tomorrow is my birthday etc etc". What the hell does this even mean?
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by lobell: 3:11pm On Nov 01, 2018
NoToPile:
Loool, I actually saw someone writing between in full where he was supposed to write BTW(by the way)

The abbreviation is not really my own issue its the usage.

You see statements like

Between bla bla bla

Instead of

By the way bla bla bla

The problem is using between where its supposed to be by the way.

This right here, this, is my grouse.
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by GenFunction: 3:12pm On Nov 01, 2018
lobell:

You can call it whatever you want and make snide comments but the truth is that these things have a way of creeping into and replacing the correct use of English. I'd rather do over sabi and save someone an epic embarrassment.
....EMBARASSMENT SAY I GO USE AM WRITE EXAMS OR WAT?
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Ositace(m): 3:14pm On Nov 01, 2018
Biglittlelois:
I disagree with Op, BTW has always mean BETWEEN right from the onset, even abbreviation on phones is like that, i was actually surprised when people started calling it By The Way recently.
I agree with you 100%... We used to know "BTW" as "between" right from secondary sch days when teachers used to dictate notes in class..and not "by the way"... It was just recently that i even got to know that BTW is also by the way...

3 Likes

Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Iamoriginalben(m): 3:14pm On Nov 01, 2018
Noted. But i think "btw" still and can be used for "Between", the context where it is been used matters. Social media has given room for the abbreviations of some words which is very much accepted nd welcomed but then it cant make d previous meanings we already knew Obsolete, or can it?
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by 10mobile: 3:23pm On Nov 01, 2018
lobell:

I can tell that you are not part of the indomie generation.
Not even spaghetti generator.
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Kennydoc(m): 3:26pm On Nov 01, 2018
lobell:

The oafs actually go as far as writing it in full! For example, "In between, tomorrow is my birthday etc etc". What the hell does this even mean?

grin grin grin
I tire o. It's a very irritating stuff to read.
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by henryobinna(m): 3:41pm On Nov 01, 2018
if I start to correct the grammatical blunders I keep seeing on Nairaland eehn... I'll be creating threads everyday.

Asides this BTW and between mistake, the most prevalent one is the use of an before a word starting with letter H even when the H is not silent, like an House instead of a house. It goes on and on. The most painful part is that even supposed news sites/blogs make this stuuupid mistake. I even wonder how it sounds when they read these sentences. Maybe sounds like aliens reading English.
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by ezelous: 3:45pm On Nov 01, 2018
Op, relax joo! Wetin dey worry you? Why use such mean tone to pass the information? You need not have sounded that way. Anyway, i don learn. Cheers.
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by CaptainFM1: 3:53pm On Nov 01, 2018
Has Buhari submitted his WAEC certificate?
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Makschinchin: 4:07pm On Nov 01, 2018
Biglittlelois:
I disagree with Op, BTW has always mean BETWEEN right from the onset, even abbreviation on phones is like that, i was actually surprised when people started calling it By The Way recently.

My lady, here in NL, BTW stands for by the way tongue
Re: BTW Means By The Way! And Not Between!!! by Makschinchin: 4:09pm On Nov 01, 2018
Monaco2:
After 5 years e finally reach front page

Sure lere... Patience is a virtue

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lecturer Who Demands Sex For Higher Grades Risks 5 Years Jail Term–senate / Weather Signs & Symbols Meaning (pix) / Man Graduates With 1st Class In Same City He Was Jailed For 4 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.