Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,765 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. (3071 Views)

LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB / OAU--ABU ZARIA: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by Omesbrit(m): 2:27pm On Nov 30, 2013
jay bee: @omesbrit

Can you please expatiate how freedom of speech helps electorate make better choices

Can you also give me a specific example of how freedom of speech has inadvertently helped reduce corruption
to first question. let take the case of just concluded election in anambra state, ifeayi ubah,labour party candidate was once involved in subsidy fraud,that made people question his credibility during the election and that affected him,this happened because their was free flow of information,which helped the electorate to choose a better candidate.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by chynazom(f): 2:27pm On Nov 30, 2013
Davo93: Good Afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

Eye-opening essays there from both debaters!

My ignorance lies in the later part of the third paragraph of Chynazom's write-up. You seems to agree with the fact that the government has the right to limit the discussed right.

Later on, you vehemently argue that the government is not supposed in any way to restrict the freedom of speech. My question now is this, what is the essence of you having a cutlass as a man living in a bushy environment and your not able to use it to cut those weeds around you? I mean, does it mean that the right invested in the government to restrict the freedom of expression sometimes amount to a joke?

Remember, the topic says "It is sometimes right for the government to restrict freedom of speech"

Thanks.

In that statement I was trying to expatiate on 'The Declaration's ' concept of Freedom of speech.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by Fynestboi: 2:34pm On Nov 30, 2013
UNN you still have questions to respond to kindly do that..

Judges, audience anymore question?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by Omesbrit(m): 2:37pm On Nov 30, 2013
jay bee: @omesbrit

Can you please expatiate how freedom of speech helps electorate make better choices

Can you also give me a specific example of how freedom of speech has inadvertently helped reduce corruption
to your second question,through the passage of freedom of information bill (foi),which gives informatiom about elected political officers,including the president,by the way, do you think that stella oduah's car scandal issue would be heard if not for freedom of speech,you and i knows that important of freedom speech can not be overemphasized in a democratic society.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 30, 2013
Omesbrit: to first question. let take the case of just concluded election in anambra state, ifeayi ubah,labour party candidate was once involved in subsidy fraud,that made people question his credibility during the election and that affected him,this happened because their was free flow of information,which helped the electorate to choose a better candidate.

MR Omesbrit, you cannot say Ifeanyi Ubah is a thief when he has not been convicted of any subsidy scam crime. Freedom of information doesn't mean to attack and malign any individual with unverified propaganda.....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by DesChyko1(m): 2:44pm On Nov 30, 2013
@Chynazom/Omesbrit.. Recently, an American diplomat, while trying to spite Obama's administration, generally labelled Nigerians as fraudsters(419) working in the US government, an action which strained the relationship of both countries. Had their government censored this broadcast, it's a violation of the diplomat's right to opinion. And as they let it out, it's a defamation of the Nigerian identity. What's your take on this? Should freedom still be unhampered even when it infringes on another human's right?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by chynazom(f): 2:45pm On Nov 30, 2013
jay bee: @ chynazom
How do you propose to navigate around the issue of national security if governments were to allow 100% freedom of speech

Just like Emzybrown noted....We are definitely in the jet age, with the presence of Biometric registration of the populace surely there will soon, no longer be an escape route for offenders. We have the intelligence bureau that are involved in handling issues related with national security, they should employ all means 'positively' available including free flow of information online. Intelligence gathering can also be done on the internet, social medias etc. If these media are restricted, how can this method of approach be possible?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by Omesbrit(m): 2:48pm On Nov 30, 2013
tunex23: My question to the UNN crew, we know that freedom of speech is a true democracy, but you also know that this can be abuse by the citizens? What your take on that
it depends on what you mean by abuse,if it is to provoke or cause chaose ,i would want you to know that human beings are different,and our level of tolerance also differs,so what could annoy you,could be accepted by another,don't forget that another man's poison is another man's food.thank you.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by chynazom(f): 2:53pm On Nov 30, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
@Chynazom/Omesbrit.. Recently, an American diplomat, while trying to spite Obama's administration, generally labelled Nigerians as fraudsters(419) working in the US government, an action which strained the relationship of both countries. Had their government censored this broadcast, it's a violation of the diplomat's right to opinion. And as they let it out, it's a defamation of the Nigerian identity. What's your take on this? Should freedom still be unhampered even when it infringes on another human's right?

How about putting the question this way: "Had their Government censored the broadcast, how would we have gotten to know about such comment in the first place?"
Do you not think that there could be some positive sides to the story? Maybe not now, but in future dealings.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by honeydear(f): 2:54pm On Nov 30, 2013
since there are Ω̴o more questions to be asked, the results of the debate will be posted soon
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by Omesbrit(m): 2:58pm On Nov 30, 2013
Emzybrown:

MR Omesbrit, you cannot say Ifeanyi Ubah is a thief when he has not been convicted of any subsidy scam crime. Freedom of information doesn't mean to attack and malign any individual with unverified propaganda.....
don't forge that most of these electorate are uneducated,they believe mostly on what they hear,without verification and i never said he is a convict,but that is the story making waves,which they used against him during the election,due to freedom of speech.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by honeydear(f): 2:59pm On Nov 30, 2013
[b][/b]JUDGE 1

Chynazom

Presentation: 4

Logic: 3.5

Strength: 3

Persuasiveness:3.5

Knowledge:3.5

TOTAL 17.5
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by Friday1993(m): 3:01pm On Nov 30, 2013
@chynazom i believe u understand the importance of the term "privacy", which most individual crave for, when issue about them takes a leap to the sphere of social media. The option u posited as a panacea for forestalling negative use of these medium of interaction cud also engender more detours to the aberration of the principle of personal privacy which contradict your stand on the debate?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by honeydear(f): 3:02pm On Nov 30, 2013
[b][/b] JUDGE 1

Omesbrit

Presentation:2

Logic:2

Strength:1.5

Persuasiveness: 2.5

Knowledge:2

TOTAL. 10
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by chynazom(f): 3:03pm On Nov 30, 2013
Caracta: @chynazom
How will you address the gross misuse of the liberty that Freedom of speech brings, with reference to how GEJ is constantly being ridiculed on social media and a forum like Nairaland?

The second debater can also do justice to this question.

As much as I do not vote for the ridicule of the President of the country,however, lets bear in mind the need for open criticism of government and public authorities - it makes for a healthy democratic environment. Not also forgetting that public authorities have full rights to defend themselves in the face of such criticism.
Thank you.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by honeydear(f): 3:05pm On Nov 30, 2013
JUDGE 2

Chynazom

Presentation: 3.5

Logic: 3

Persuasiveness:3

TOTAL. 16
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by honeydear(f): 3:08pm On Nov 30, 2013
JUDGE 2

Omesbrit

Logic:2.5

Persuasiveness: 2

Knowledge:1.5
TOTAL. 9.5
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by Nobody: 3:11pm On Nov 30, 2013
Omesbrit: don't forge that most of these electorate are uneducated,they believe mostly on what they hear,without verification and i never said he is a convict,but that is the story making waves,which they used against him during the election,due to freedom of speech.

That mean you are contradicting yourself, that means freedom of speech is misused and should be abolish for feeding the illiterate electorates falsehood. Dont you think so?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by chynazom(f): 3:19pm On Nov 30, 2013
Can we please have total score??
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by honeydear(f): 3:19pm On Nov 30, 2013
17.5+16+10+9.5 =53

UNN had a total of 53 out of 100
However 5 marks is deducted from your total score for plagiarism which gives a total of 48
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by Fynestboi: 3:21pm On Nov 30, 2013
honeydear: 17.5+16+10+9.5 =53

UNN had a total of 53 out of 100

53 of 100- 5 for lifting stuff of Wikipedia without referencing it. Plagiarism should be frowned upon. Thank

Hence total score. 48%
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by chynazom(f): 3:26pm On Nov 30, 2013
Fynestboi:

53 of 100- 5 for lifting stuff of Wikipedia without referencing it. Plagiarism should be frowned upon. Thank

Hence total score. 48%

But I did, pls check the references again.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by Fynestboi: 3:30pm On Nov 30, 2013
chynazom:

But I did, pls check the references again.
that was why it was -5.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by Omesbrit(m): 3:34pm On Nov 30, 2013
why did we have such a low mark,is it because we are not competting with any team?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by chynazom(f): 3:37pm On Nov 30, 2013
Fynestboi: that was why it was -5.

I don't fully understand, the specific article from Wikipedia was mentioned in the reference my first post.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by shakur07(m): 3:37pm On Nov 30, 2013
"""Runs outta d thread""in oda news strike yaff kal off ASUU..
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by Fynestboi: 3:41pm On Nov 30, 2013
chynazom:

I don't fully understand, the specific article from Wikipedia was mentioned in the reference my first post.
not you your partner.

Panic not hoping to see you in the next phase. (knock out stage)
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by chynazom(f): 3:43pm On Nov 30, 2013
Fynestboi: not you your partner.

Okay then, just needed clarity.
Thanks!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by Omesbrit(m): 3:47pm On Nov 30, 2013
you haven't declare us the winner
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by Wallosco: 4:48pm On Nov 30, 2013
Fynestboi: not you your partner.

U wanna seize his freedom of speech again??
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by AbuMikey(m): 4:49pm On Nov 30, 2013
Judge 1

Chynazom

Presentation: 4

Logic: 3.5

Persuasiveness:3.5

TOTAL 17.5

Judge 2

Presentation: 3.5

Logic: 3

Persuasiveness:3

TOTAL. 16

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate:: WINNER:::: UNN. by AbuMikey(m): 4:54pm On Nov 30, 2013
Judge

Omesbrit

Logic:2

Persuasiveness: 2.5

Knowledge:2

TOTAL. 10

Judge 2

Logic:2.5

Persuasiveness: 2

Knowledge:1.5

TOTAL. 9.5

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bature: The Sokoto Boy Who Set A New Record At NDA (awards, Statue And Photos) / Nigerian Graduate Turns To A Laughing Stock After Posting Blunder-filled Post / Federal Poly Ado Ekiti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.