Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,919 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? (7190 Views)

Will you vote for Donald Trump for 5000$,black Americans react (snapshots) / African Americans Living And Doing Business In South Africa / Americans Looting At The Boston Marathon Venue After Bombing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by birdman(m): 7:38pm On Jul 19, 2008
Blacks happen to make up the majority when it comes to the poor in America. If you doubt it, check the numbers. Come on. The media does not have to feed anyone with anything for one to observe and understand this to be the case. I have lived in many states and I can tell you for a fact that wherever you go in America, you get this.

Kobojunkie, nowhere have I disputed how many poor blacks there are. MY POINT is to stop generalizing as Jakumo did, it is naive. You experience with blacks in your field is anecdotal at best , like someone said, your experience is subjective.

This is like saying "nigerians are shady people", its easy to say and doesnt require you to think

As to "leaders" like Sharpton and Jesse, these guys believe the squeakiest wheel gets the grease. Most of black america does not recognize these guys as leaders, only fox news and cnn do (hint: they can be very entertaining)
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Ndipe(m): 10:59pm On Jul 19, 2008
So, when will CNN air a segment on "Asians in America", or "Latinos in America"? The documentaries devoted to those groups is disproportionate to black Americans.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by CH3COO(m): 11:03pm On Jul 19, 2008
disproportionate and unfair. when was the last time they showed a 3-month-old child in guatamela with roaches on his eyeballs?
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Ndipe(m): 11:10pm On Jul 19, 2008
Well, you just cant expect CNN to produce every single documentaries in the world. Lets be realistic, that's almost impossible. My comparisons were between Black Americans and other ethnic minorities in the USA.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by CH3COO(m): 11:16pm On Jul 19, 2008
Well then, maybe CNN is heavily biased against black americans. If CNN refuses to take on the challenge, why don't the other news network stations?

p.s. I know, but I wanted to point out the negative potrayal of Africans by American news media.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Gamine(f): 11:24pm On Jul 19, 2008
They r whiners.

How will grown men be playing chess in the morning on a working day!!
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by tpia: 2:45am On Jul 20, 2008
besides, Nigerians are currently competing with AAs anyway, for the whining trophy.

na Nigerians dey whine pass. undecided

maybe an additional thread title should be: Nigerians: A bunch of whiners or Are Their Grievances Justified?

Kobojunkie also deserves his own thread in the same vein. undecided
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Kobojunkie: 4:12am On Jul 20, 2008
Just saw "Being Black in America" on CNN, and I have to say. Was exactly what I expected considering it was co-sponsored by Essence Magazine.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by udezue(m): 6:03am On Jul 20, 2008
Their grievances are justified to an extent but they are not doing anything to uplift themselves. They are making worse for themselves especially by not getting any education soooooo ITS THEIR OWN FAULT NOW. QUIT BLAMING THE WHITE MAN.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Ndipe(m): 12:31am On Jul 21, 2008
Why doesnt CNN produce a similar documentary for the Latinos and Asians?
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Orimili(m): 7:17pm On Jul 23, 2008
I wonder, if someone puts up a thread called "Nigerians, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified?," would there be a similar reaction? Who will attack this argument? Who will defend it?

I see a great many people on this forum trashing AA's, but I don't think that we're in a position to say a thing, as long as we have our own problems that people complain about all the time. Seriously, people here talk about black Americans as if we're the perfect example of black people in the world. Honestly, I think all the hypocrisy should stop, as it takes us nowhere.

*prepares to get flamed*
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by eezzy(f): 6:06am On Jul 26, 2008
I think they are whiners. They have opportunities that no one else has in black africa but they prefer easy money making projects like acting and singing at which they dont always succeed. The ones who go to school though do well eg the guy who won the donald trump aprentice
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Orimili(m): 8:09am On Jul 26, 2008
eezzy:

I think they are whiners. They have opportunities that no one else has in black africa but they prefer easy money making projects like acting and singing at which they don't always succeed. The ones who go to school though do well eg the guy who won the donald trump aprentice   

Fair enough, but the same can be said about people from every race group in America. There are people who succeed, and there are people who complain about others bringing them down. More attention seems to be paid to black americans, which is easy to do, as they make up 10% of the population. There are countless black americans that have done positive things, changing the world we live in, and even making it possible for others to make something of themselves. Some people whine, which is true, but it is no basis for saying the whole population of black americans are composed of whiners.

Many people go into the entertainment, for example. It is not just black americans. I've noticed that a growing number of artists and actors are of African origin, such as Chiwetel Ejiofor, Estelle Swaray, Idris Elba, Gbenga Akinnagbe, Godrey Danchimah, Michael Blackson, and others. The entertainment industry in America is more diverse than one thinks.

There are more successful black americans than the media will ever show, and of course they(the media) will go to the lowest common denominator to collect 'data' to back their claims, such as the poorest sections of major cities, or looking for people who are already stuck in a bad position in their lives. The minute you turn off the television and go somewhere else, such as a university, you will see many black americans, despite disadvantages, working to become successful.

You can't say that Nigerians don't have their share of issues. Let's take politics, for example. Based on the complaints that I read here all the time, I could say that Nigerian politicians have better opportunities that everyone else has, but they prefer easy money making projects, such as stealing aid money and misusing resources, at the expense of the people, projects in which they do not always succeed. Nigerian people are more than capable of standing up to the madness, but do nothing but whine. However, If I thought this about Nigerians, or Africans in the continent, it would still not be enough to call them all whiners.  You have to look at the situation more in depth than it presents itself, otherwise, there will be nothing but misinformation going around.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Kobojunkie: 11:42am On Jul 26, 2008
Orimili:

Fair enough, but the same can be said about people from every race group in America. There are people who succeed, and there are people who complain about others bringing them down. More attention seems to be paid to black americans, which is easy to do, as they make up 10% of the population. There are countless black americans that have done positive things, changing the world we live in, and even making it possible for others to make something of themselves. Some people whine, which is true, but it is no basis for saying the whole population of black americans are composed of whiners.

Not a single person on here has so far posted that ALL black Americans are whiners, but from statistics, we have many more in the black American community who blame their situation on the government and majorly racism than we do people of other races that do that. So the same cannot be said about people from every race in America. The countless number of black Americans changing the world, as you claim are seriously in the minority.

Orimili:

Many people go into the entertainment, for example. It is not just black americans. I've noticed that a growing number of artists and actors are of African origin, such as Chiwetel Ejiofor, Estelle Swaray, Idris Elba, Gbenga Akinnagbe, Godrey Danchimah, Michael Blackson, and others. The entertainment industry in America is more diverse than one thinks.

Again not a single person on here, including the last poster has in any way stated that ONLY BLACK AMERICANS go into entertainment business, but statistically they dominate and the reason he gave above is not far from the reality. This post is not about all the races but about the black community in America, which excludes Africans.

Orimili:

There are more successful black americans than the media will ever show, and of course they(the media) will go to the lowest common denominator to collect 'data' to back their claims, such as the poorest sections of major cities, or looking for people who are already stuck in a bad position in their lives. The minute you turn off the television and go somewhere else, such as a university, you will see many black americans, despite disadvantages, working to become successful.
This is not about the media, this is about the numbers. Over 70% of black America lives poor today. Regardless of how many are rich, the fact remains that the majority are not successful. Just because you see so many black Americans in one college or more that you visit, does not suddenly mean that the low college enrollment rate in the black community disappears. It exists. Black America makes up about 12% of America (that is 12% of 300 million).

Orimili:

You can't say that Nigerians don't have their share of issues. Let's take politics, for example. Based on the complaints that I read here all the time, I could say that Nigerian politicians have better opportunities that everyone else has, but they prefer easy money making projects, such as stealing aid money and misusing resources, at the expense of the people, projects in which they do not always succeed. Nigerian people are more than capable of standing up to the madness, but do nothing but whine. However, If I thought this about Nigerians, or Africans in the continent, it would still not be enough to call them all whiners. You have to look at the situation more in depth than it presents itself, otherwise, there will be nothing but misinformation going around.

Every person on this planet has issues of one kind or another but trying to downplay one groups issue by trying to shift focus to others is not a good way to debate. The thread is about the black community in America, and whining. And many of the posters have posted really valuable reasons for why they believe there is too much whining coming from that group than from any other. Please focus on the subject here and stop darting all over the place as if that somehow eases the problems in the black community that are so apparent.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by HCH3COO: 8:13pm On Jul 26, 2008
udezue:

Their grievances are justified to an extent but they are not doing anything to uplift themselves. They are making worse for themselves especially by not getting any education soooooo ITS THEIR OWN FAULT NOW. QUIT BLAMING THE WHITE MAN.
you are no where close to the truth. it's a stupid generalization to beckon that blacks have done nothing to uplift themselves. it's a struggle for the typical black american family, but i assure you from experience that many of these people are also hardworking and intelligent. their dreams and aspirations are similar to that of other ethnicities and races. you also lied that blacks are not getting any education. your sentence is too generalized and untrue.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Orimili(m): 9:27pm On Jul 27, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Not a single person on here has so far posted that ALL black Americans are whiners. . .

Read this thread again, then look here, surely you will find some evidence:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/board-40.0.html

maybe not explicitly, but it was definitely implied.

. . .but from statistics, we have many more in the black American community who blame their situation on the government and majorly racism than we do people of other races that do that. So the same cannot be said about people from every race in America. The countless number of black Americans changing the world, as you claim are seriously in the minority.

What about the numbers? Where is your data to support your claim?  People, regardless of race, tend to blame the government for problems that come up, whether it is or isn't justified. Take white people for example (yes, more "darting around," as you say) There are whites around the world, as well as in America who constantly criticize their governments. Take a look at these sites, and get back to me if you want.

http://www.liberalforum.org/liberalforum/
http://www.conservativesforum.com/
http://www.politicalcrossfire.com/forum/index.php

A somewhat extreme example:
http://www.stormfront.org/forum/

Check this out too:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/board-20.0.html Complaining about the government is not solely the domain of black americans. It's actually common practice everywhere where a government exists. In essence, we are all "whiners."

Again not a single person on here, including the last poster has in any way stated that ONLY BLACK AMERICANS go into entertainment business, but statistically they dominate and the reason he gave above is not far from the reality. This post is not about all the races but about the black community in America, which excludes Africans.
This is not about the media, this is about the numbers. Over 70% of black America lives poor today. Regardless of how many are rich, the fact remains that the majority are not successful. Just because you see so many black Americans in one college or more that you visit, does not suddenly mean that the low college enrollment rate in the black community disappears. It exists. Black America makes up about 12% of America (that is 12% of 300 million).

Read this, compare poverty levels between the minority groups, then compare poverty levels for minority families. The minority groups tend to have higher poverty levels than whites (minorities having 25-30% population below the poverty line), but not nearly at the level you suggested:

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/histpov/hstpov2.html

It's all about the numbers. So where did you get that 70% figure? If you look at the image below, it seems that it comes from children birthed to unwed mothers. While it is a significant percentage, it is not directly related to black poverty levels. Correlation is not causation. Besides, if you look here:

http://angrybear(dot)(dot)com/2007/10/unwed-mothers-cross-country-comparison.html, or here: http://paa2005.princeton.edu/download.aspx?submissionId=50050, unwed birth rates are not isolated to black America, or North America, for that matter.

Every person on this planet has issues of one kind or another but trying to downplay one groups issue by trying to shift focus to others is not a good way to debate. The thread is about the black community in America, and whining. And many of the posters have posted really valuable reasons for why they believe there is too much whining coming from that group than from any other. Please focus on the subject here and stop darting all over the place as if that somehow eases the problems in the black community that are so apparent.

This is not a debate. We are not debating. We are, myself included, people sitting behind computer screens, pretending to know what is best for a group of people we know nothing about, other than a handful of personal experiences, and what we see in the media (eg. CNN, BET, FOX, ESPN, etc.)

While this thread is about the black community, you can't ignore the facts that the black community isn't alone in such things. I mean, based on "valuable" information from the news, and this forum, among other 'sources" (look, more "darting around!"wink, One could infer from such that there is too much whining in the Nigerian community. One could infer from Affirmative Action hearings that there is too much whining in the White community. One could infer, from the state of the US government during the Bush Administration, that there is too much whining in the American community.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that this thread is useless, as it is essentially unfounded judgment of others. To bring scripture into this matter, John 8:7 states:
So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Matthew 7:1:
Judge not, that ye be not judged.

We, as Nigerians, are not without our own issues, therefore, where do we get the audacity to call others out on their own, especially with biased statistics?

I guess it's cool to pick on Black Americans now, even though the majority of us would not be where we are without them. Will it be equally as acceptable to do so, knowing that our own country, our own continent, is in ruins, and getting worse with every passing day? If this continues, the majority of us are going to be worse off than any Black American could ever imagine.

This forum should serve to unite black people all over the world, as, whether you like it or not, they are out brothers and sisters. Instead, we continue to be divided, constantly putting each other down. We talk about the downfall of Black Americans, when we, as a collective, are equally falling. We should, instead of pointing and staring, work to become a community that encourages each other, regardless of origin, to strive for success, providing positive examples for each other, and offering constructive criticism, rather than destructive criticism when we fail to do so. If we did this from the beginning, trust me, this thread, among others of this type, would not exist.

I am doing my part, and I encourage you and others to do so too.

. . .Or, you can continue pointing fingers in your comfort, pretending that everything is well. It's your choice.

Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Kobojunkie: 12:29am On Jul 28, 2008
Orimili:

Read this thread again, then look here, surely you will find some evidence:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/board-40.0.html

maybe not explicitly, but it was definitely implied.

I am sorry but you do not inject your own meaning into statements and expect people to agree that you are right. That happens to be one of my pet peeves. If a person does not explicitly state THIS, please do not attack that person claiming the person said THIS. You have no idea how much I hate it when people do that. No one on this particular thread has made such a claim as the one you accuse them of. Why condemn them for such?

After reading the rest of your response, I think it best to let you continue as you want to cause you seem to be arguing from an emotional point and not from a rational angle here. If you want to continue analysing this issue as you continue to, then I would rather step off at this point cause this pattern seems too familiar at this point. Reminds me so much of debates I have had with Nigerians on problems in Nigeria, eg Nigerian educational system, only to have these persons try to tell me there are also problems in the American school system and so for some reason that justifies the state of education in public schools in Nigeria. I see it as arguing blindly. It ain't gonna get me or anyone close to any solution or resolution so I bounce at this point.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Orimili(m): 1:35am On Jul 28, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I am sorry but you do not inject your own meaning into statements and expect people to agree that you are right. That happens to be one of my pet peeves. If a person does not explicitly state THIS, please do not attack that person claiming the person said THIS. You have no idea how much I hate it when people do that.  No one on this particular thread has made such a claim as the one you accuse them of. Why condemn them for such?

After reading the rest of your response, I think it best to let you continue as you want to cause you seem to be arguing from an emotional point and not from a rational angle here.  If you want to continue analysing this issue as you continue to, then I would rather step off at this point cause this pattern seems too familiar at this point. Reminds me so much of debates I have had with Nigerians on problems in Nigeria, eg Nigerian educational system, only to have these persons try to tell me there are also problems in the American school system and so for some reason that justifies the state of education in public schools in Nigeria.  I see it as arguing blindly. It ain't going to get me or anyone close to any solution or resolution so I bounce at this point.

I couldn't care less if people agreed with me or not, honestly, I've tried to. My only objective is to offer another side to the story, or anything that will provoke some form of thought.

That being said, get over yourself, it's safe here. Nobody is attacking you. I stated my position, and actually provided additional information to back it, which is more than one can say for other discussions here. It may or may not be to your liking, but this is how a debate works(which, this is not), and you can't get any more rational than that. If you don't like it, you don't have to. It is one thing to accuse someone of making an emotionally charged statement (while ignoring the existence of everything within that proves otherwise). It is another thing to do so, being emotionally charged yourself.

Don't let me get to your pet peeves. If you feel that what I am saying is in error, give me something so that, when I see it, I can say "ow wow, I did not see this, you were right." I may not immediately reply. I will probably be offline, maybe for days, getting better understanding of the topic at hand, with the little free time I have. I will back down if, and only if, I cannot find anything to counter such findings. You will then get your cookie, your pat in the back, and an enthusiastic thumbs-up. I will move on to a different discussion a stronger and more knowledgeable person. This is rationality at it's rawest and most unforgiving state. I am in the sciences, and analyzing every bit of detail is what I do, as that is part of the scientific method. As long as such details exist, I will never argue blindly.

As much as you may not like it, when you argue about something, everything in the least way associated with it can and will come into play. Everything is fair game. I'm not here for your acceptance, or anyone Else's for that matter. I am here, as well as any other place I am, to minimize, in the best way I can, the flow of misinformation, which, unfortunately, is very prevalent.

Everyone wants a resolution, but unfortunately, you cannot find a solution if you cannot find the cause of the problem, just as you cannot cure someone's sickness if you misdiagnose the symptoms.

Take this however as you want,

Peace.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Kobojunkie: 1:44am On Jul 28, 2008
Where in my post there did I state you attacked me? Please read posts as is, for pete's sake.  As for the pet peeve, I doubt you will see it since you are aguing this one from an emotional stand point and not from a logical one at all.

Nigerians whining about Nigeria is not in anyway related to the case of African Americans in America. I am sorry. It does not work. It is like trying to connect two unrelated issues. It never works. Even people in the black community would tell you that it is clear there is a problem in the community that needs to be dealt with. It may exist to some degree in other communities but the fact that it is prevalent in the black community means it is a serious problem and needs to be dealt with instead of swept under the rug because it exists to some degree in other communities.

AIDs is highest in the black community in america. Should we say because there are some AIDS cases in the white community or the hispanic community, then there is no AIDs epidemic in the black community??

I am sure we all KNOW the cause of the problem. IT IS WRITTEN IN BOLD. Everyone knows the cause but the more you continue to EXCUSE the situation, the less you are to actually accept the problem exists and needs to be dealt with.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Orimili(m): 1:50am On Jul 28, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Where in my post there did I state you attacked me? Please read posts as is, for pete's sake.

. . .If a person does not explicitly state THIS, please do not attack that person claiming the person said. . .

Here.

Last post before mine. Clearly, you are implicitly referring to yourself, as well as others in this thread. If this is not the case, I'll fix my post.

Also, people who tend to repeat the same things twice tend to not have anything new to bring to the argument. It defeats any kind of reasoning and logic.

[b]Nigerians whining about Nigeria is not in anyway related to the case of African Americans in America. I am sorry. It does not work. [/b]It is like trying to connect two unrelated issues. It never works. Even people in the black community would tell you that it is clear there is a problem in the community that needs to be dealt with. It may exist to some degree in other communities but the fact that it is prevalent in the black community means it is a serious problem and needs to be dealt with instead of swept under the rug because it exists to some degree in other communities.

Yes it is, you're just lying to yourself by saying otherwise. Just as there is a problem with the Black Community in America, there are glaring problems with Nigeria, and they are more similar than you want to think. It's all related, you just don't want to see it.

AIDS is highest in the black community in america. Should we say because there are some AIDS cases in the white community or the hispanic community, then there is no AIDs epidemic in the black community??

You could, but you would be wrong. AIDS prevalence in the black community is a big problem. However, one can still infer from your argument that this somehow makes Black Americans the lowest common denominator, as far as demographics. Now, that being said, let's talk about AIDS, now that you brought it up. The Black community in America is not just composed of persons that descended from enslaved Blacks, but also African immigrants. African Immigrants only make up about 2% or the black population (~621,000 people according to Wikipedia, ugh), but that's not important at the moment. Take a look at this:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/104380.php
http://www.thebody.com/content/legal/art19429.html

What is important is that for states that separate statistics between Black Americans and African-born blacks, data shows that AIDS prevalence of African-born Blacks range from statistically similar (similar, as in differences are not significantly different) (Medical News Today), to greater than that of Black Americans (thebody.com). More sources will be added as I find new ones.

Aside: Has anyone wondered why Nigerians, or African immigrants, for that matter, seem more well-off than Black Americans? It's possibly due to our very small population in the US, the small population of driven and intelligent people. Thinkers, who leave the continent, and for the most part, never go back to contribute what they have gained. (Something we call brain-drain). Of course the most of us study the sciences, or engineering, and are successful in life. Now, imagine if every one of us went back to stay, bringing our success with us. If each and every African-born American went back to the continent, we will be but a small minority of successful people, compared to the total population, just as small as the minority of successful black Americans compared to the total population of Black America. End Aside.

AIDS is not isolated to the Black community. While it may be disproportionately high, compared to other groups, Africans are catching up, if not already exceeding this rate. This is not only the case in North America, but in the EU, as well. I guess what I am trying to say is that African-born blacks, according to multiple sources, are contributing to this epidemic. However, there aren't any people pointing fingers at them. (Why, oh why, could that be?)

Why do I bring this up? While every ethnicity/race has their own issues with AIDS, African AIDS prevalence in the US, including Nigerians, are becoming just as big as, if not surpassing, the rate of that of Black Americans. Does that mean that the AIDS in Black America is not important? No, not at all. AIDS is a big issue that can't be ignored, but don't forget that, while you are pointing fingers, us infallible Nigerians are getting infected at a similar rate. The next time you bring up AIDS in such a discussion, make sure to bring that up.

Let's also not forget that, since you're basing part of your arguments on AIDS now, that Africa accounts for 68.8% of the world's total HIV/AIDS cases. http://www.avert.org/worlstatinfo.htm (Just throwing that in there for no apparent reason, sort of like this entire AIDS discussion that you brought up)

Of course we know the cause of the problem, but that wasn't the purpose of this thread at all. We all know that Black Americans are an easy target to poke fun at, a scapegoat of sorts. That's why we get behind our keyboards and type out our frustrations with them until our fingers bleed, ignorant of the fact that, statistically, we have the same problem, if not a bigger one. Throughout history, Black Americans have dealt with many issues. Black Americans have, and will, regardless of people who tend to always find media attention, deal with them. (Especially with AIDS) Don't worry, they will be fine. What is left, is us getting off our high horses and actually dealing with our own problems that we are ignoring.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Kobojunkie: 3:41am On Jul 28, 2008
Orimili:

Here.

Last post before mine. Clearly, you are implicitly referring to yourself, as well as others in this thread. If this is not the case, I'll fix my post.

Edit: There, fixed it for you.

JEEZZ,  I am again implicitly referring to myself when explicitly my post is not referring to attacks on self ??  Like I mentioned earlier,  try to accept people actually post what they mean. Reading extra meanings into statements only shows you are not a good debater. You may somehow believe you are psychic but leave the mind reading at home when visiting forums. I happen to be one of those who detest engaging folks who believe they have mind-reading abilities.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Orimili(m): 6:58am On Jul 28, 2008
Kobojunkie:

JEEZZ,  I am again implicitly referring to myself when explicitly my post is not referring to attacks on self ??  Like I mentioned earlier,  try to accept people actually post what they mean. Reading extra meanings into statements only shows you are not a good debater. You may somehow believe you are psychic but leave the mind reading at home when visiting forums. I happen to be one of those who detest engaging folks who believe they have mind-reading abilities.

Calm down, Kobo. I know what a debate is, and this (as I have stated many times before, or have I?) is not one. It never was. (Also: As for the extra meanings bit, never take anything for face value. I learned that one back home.)
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Kobojunkie: 7:01am On Jul 28, 2008
Never take anything for face value? Not everyone is that paranoid so what I said still stands. Going around applying it where it is not needed is somewhat rude. Stop trying to read "people's minds". If you think the poster means something else, ask, not assume you have the person all figured out when 99% of the time that is not the case.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Orimili(m): 8:12am On Jul 28, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Never take anything for face value?  Not everyone is that paranoid so what I said still stands. Going around applying it where it is not needed is somewhat rude.  Stop trying to read "people's minds". If you think the poster means something else, ask, not assume you have the person all figured out when 99% of the time that is not the case.

Nobody is trying to read minds. I'm a science student, not a witch. Again, calm down. No juju here. That being said, everything I said also stands. Making baseless generalizations are also somewhat rude, but I'm not going to judge you for it. If the person I was talking to wants to reply to my original statement, and challenge it, let him/her do it, as they can speak for themselves.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Kobojunkie: 8:16am On Jul 28, 2008
I am also a student of science and I know that one of the main rules is never to make baseless assumptions of others or ideas based on your assumed understanding of what is posted. In your case, you claim to have super powers to read IN BETWEEN THE LINES instead of reading posts AS IS. If you have to, you make sure you specify that your claim is assumed.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Orimili(m): 1:58pm On Jul 28, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I am also a student of science and I know that one of the main rules is never to make baseless assumptions of others or ideas based on your assumed understanding of what is posted. In your case, you claim to have super powers to read IN BETWEEN THE LINES instead of reading posts AS IS. If you have to, you make sure you specify that your claim is assumed.

I like where this thread is going. I thought we discussed this before. Now instead of focusing on the topic, we pick little things to argue about like children. That's OK, if it makes you feel comfortable with yourself. However, I won't play that game. Let's stay on topic. (. . .Or are you going to make fun of this statement on your next post?)
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Kobojunkie: 2:10pm On Jul 28, 2008
Orimili:

I like where this thread is going. I thought we discussed this before. Now instead of focusing on the topic, we pick little things to argue about like children. That's OK, if it makes you feel comfortable with yourself. However, I won't play that game. Let's stay on topic. (. . .Or are you going to make fun of this statement on your next post?)

As far as I am concerned, majority on here already posted answers to the main question as requested. You came on to attack them for having a view and I am just along to bite at the attacker since I have so much time on my hand here. This is the way I relieve stress on here. I have been up all night and can go on and on if you want. No slowing down here.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Orimili(m): 2:39pm On Jul 28, 2008
. . .And I give my answer as well. My aim is to offer an alternative point of view, not impose it on others, as I see you trying (and failed) to do.

It's a free country(or internet?), do as you wish with your time.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Kobojunkie: 3:02pm On Jul 28, 2008
From where I sit,   you did less of offering an alternative but more of bashing people for having an opinion different from yours. How does telling people that other races are guilty of whining, to some extent, equate to offering an alternative view in this particular situation?
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Orimili(m): 4:22pm On Jul 28, 2008
Kobojunkie:

From where I sit,   you did less of offering an alternative but more of bashing people for having an opinion different from yours. How does telling people that other races are guilty of whining, to some extent, equate to offering an alternative view in this particular situation?

I did it to show that that Black Americans are not the only group guilty of doing so, as the topic infers. If one wants to do that, it would make sense to collect data from not just other races, but every constituent of such races for comparison. Otherwise, saying so would just be a baseless generalization, and in bad taste. I state what I think about the issue with data supporting it. It may not be your style or your liking, but it has worked for me personally, academically, and professionally. This different approach would allow better understanding of the subject, sort of like looking at a piece, not by itself, but as a part of a larger puzzle. I am being bashed for not carrying a hive mentality, not going along with the status quo. Anything that is different is usually met with hostility. I expected, and received such. I'm not here to change anyone's mind. We can go back and forth about this, but my opinions will remain the same, and so will yours.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Kobojunkie: 4:37pm On Jul 28, 2008
Orimili:

I did it to show that that Black Americans are not the only group guilty of doing so, as the topic infers.
The Topic does not infer that at all. You plugged all that in by your own self.
Orimili:

If one wants to do that, it would make sense to collect data from not just other races, but every constituent of such races for comparison. Otherwise, saying so would just be a baseless generalization, and in bad taste.
That is ridiculous. Claims that AIDS is an epidemic in African American society, would, based on your conclusion above be considered baseless and of bad taste then? Come on !

Orimili:

I state what I think about the issue with data supporting it. It may not be your style or your liking, but it has worked for me personally, academically, and professionally. This different approach would allow better understanding of the subject, sort of like looking at a piece, not by itself, but as a part of a larger puzzle. I am being bashed for not carrying a hive mentality, not going along with the status quo.
There is nothing new with your approach that I see here. Others posted links to back up claims as well. Is this down to yours being the legit links? I don’t think you have to look far to understand that there exists problems in the Black American society that are more pronounced than they are among other races.
The current election year has helped push these problems way out to the headlines even more. People in the black community are using this opportunity to call attention to these issues so they can be dealt with once and for all. Why then come in to think that you do the cause good by pointing out that the same exists among other races, when the issue remains that it is more pronounced and affects majority in the black community than it does other races? What sort of novel approach do you think you come with here that makes you some sort of hero? What does telling us that Nigerians whine as well do to help the fact that African Americans whine? Does your announcing this well know FACTS to us somehow vindicate those in the African American society who blame government for their woes? What are you going to offer up next? Human beings whine as reason why we should not bother dealing with the problems Nigerians whine about? Come on!!

Orimili:

Anything that is different is usually met with hostility. I expected, and received such. I'm not here to change anyone's mind. We can go back and forth about this, but my opinions will remain the same, and so will yours.
Sure, I agree that anything that is different is usually met with hostility, but I am sorry to disappoint you. You are not offering anything different here. You have so far offered up the same old lame excuse we have heard for years as reason why not much attention should be paid issues and hence the reason why many continue to wallow in the old way. When you speak of hostility, I suggest you reconsider who the hostile party has been all this while on here.
Notice I have in no way condemned you for having an opinion, just wish you would accord others the same respect. Feeling yours is unique is one thing but condemning others so you can publish yours as the “alpha” view is another.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Orimili(m): 5:52pm On Jul 28, 2008
I don't think hostility means what you think it does. Anyway, your opinion is yours. The only reason this thread continues is because I refuse to be silent.

*in before 10 more posts discussing the definition of hostility*

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

South Africa, The Land Of Rapists, Pedophiles And Savages - Child Sexual Abuse / Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate / Angola's AMAZING Post-War Transformation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.