Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? (7187 Views)

Will you vote for Donald Trump for 5000$,black Americans react (snapshots) / African Americans Living And Doing Business In South Africa / Americans Looting At The Boston Marathon Venue After Bombing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by girl22(f): 12:09am On Aug 12, 2008
Over 70% of black America lives poor today

only 25% of black americans live below the poverty line.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by onyinye2(f): 12:10am On Aug 12, 2008
@girl22
where did you get your stats from?
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by girl22(f): 12:15am On Aug 12, 2008
links.jstor.org/sici?sici=1077-3711(200224%2F200324)38%3C53%3AHHESTD%3E2.0.CO%

and census.gov

and it has actuallty dropped since then to 22 %

this was old statistics.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by onyinye2(f): 12:16am On Aug 12, 2008
Oka cool because those stats seemed a little outdated.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by girl22(f): 12:31am On Aug 12, 2008
and to the asshole who said that back americans who help make changes in amwerica are a minority

black poeple have invented that you use in everyday life

3000 plus patents.

black people are the ones that protested to get the civil rights act passed so that all races of people would get equal rights.

black americans have prestigous schools like howard,spelman,tuskegee

black americans have astromoners,physicts and one the best neurosurgoens in the world is a black american.

you should start reading magazines like black enterprise that showcase black american scientists,egineers,doctors,lawyers and ceo's rather than reading ebony and jet.

newsweek and time magazine is started and owned by black americans.

ya dig.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by uspry1(f): 8:31pm On Aug 12, 2008
American census.gov always update every 10 years after finished gathering American homeowners' census questionnaires either by mail or one-to-one interview volunteered staff to be input into automated system in the USA.

New stats will come out updated on 2010. Sorry---stuck with old stats from 2000!!!
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by MandingoII(m): 4:27pm On Aug 13, 2008
Nigerians in Amerikka are enjoying a lifestyle they DID NOT FIGHT FOR!

If AA's didn't Whine, Picket, Marched and got killed - Africans would never had entered this country.

Africans HATES their culture - AA's loves theirs.

This is the reason the WORLD have grafted towards AA's way of life (even if its negative)

The WORLD could care less about "The African" way of life.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Orimili(m): 8:41pm On Oct 01, 2008
Sorry to bring this topic back up, but I've been away for a while. It's good to see that others have started to look past the (extremely biased) information given to them, and come to see the reality of the black community, the part of it that's not constantly thrown in our faces by the popular media.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by RichyBlacK(m): 9:47pm On Oct 01, 2008
It's laughable that people talk about Asians being high[i]est[/i] achievers when the evidence doesn't say so.

Comparing the so-called high-achieving Asians in America and African Americans, in the contemporary sense, is wrong-headed!

It is well known that immigrants from a given population are pre-selected by skill from that population. In today's world and in the context of immigrants to America, this skill revolves around academics - American schools maintain the centers of gravity of numerous areas of knowledge. These so-called high-achieving Asians are largely immigrants. So, why not compare Asian immigrants with African immigrants? Thank the Almighty God for the power of numbers grin.

From the 2000 US census, it is clear that on every measurable form of academic achievement African immigrants beat Asian immigrants. African immigrants have the highest level of measurable academic achievement among all immigrant groups in the United States. However, such news is hushed down in an America that refuses to believe that blacks can do as well as any other racial group if given the opportunity. Furthermore, studies have also revealed that second-generation African immigrants maintain the high academic achievement trait better than second-generation Asian immigrants.

Aren't the African immigrants considered African American? Why doesn't the media mention this: that black immigrants from Africa have superior performance in academics, measurably higher than the Asian immigrants? Simple. The media doesn't believe this is true sad.

Sources:
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_immigrants#Educational_Attainment
2. http://www.asian-nation.org/immigrant-stats.shtml
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by blackspade(m): 12:26am On Oct 02, 2008
Thank you for pointing that out RichyBlacK, it's disheartening to know that out own people deny their own success in America.

The Invisible Model Minority

This is not just limited to us African immigrants, but also Caribbean immigrants (Haiti, Jamaica, Barbados, etc. . .)
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by RichyBlacK(m): 4:57pm On Oct 02, 2008
blackspade:

Thank you for pointing that out RichyBlacK, it's disheartening to know that out own people deny their own success in America.

This is not just limited to us African immigrants, but also Caribbean immigrants (Haiti, Jamaica, Barbados, etc. . .)

Nice article, thanks.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by BigB11(m): 7:03pm On Oct 02, 2008

First, I must admit to you (blackspade) that this is an excellent article and I recommend to others to take a quick look at it.

Second, it bothers me when Nigerians in America feel free to castigate African Americans for not measuring up to the golden standard. I wonder what is this Nigerian Golden Standard?
Just keep in mind that if it wasn't for these people, you hypocrite would be here with me in Ajegunle eating smoked corn for dinner 6 times a week.

Personally, I'll prefer African Americans to criticise each other; but for some Nigerian back-scratcher to careless open up his or her mouth to talk down at these people is absolutely ridiculous.

Finally, instead of bringing them down, why not show your sincere support by embracing what they've been through and what they stand for?

Yes, they do not have our incredible culture, but could someone please give me a complete description of our diluted uncivilised culture?
We need to slow down a bit; with all our education, flashy cars, and big houses, most of us are still empty inside.

It is very important for us to clearly understand that we're all equal, and none of us is in a position to point out the defectiveness of others; especially African Americans.

Between you and I, this group of people (African Americans) indirectly look up to us (Africans); and we mustn't allow our ignorance and anger to cloud our judgment.; we are all brothers and sisters.

Therefore, my vote is "their grievances are absolutely justified"
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Orimili(m): 3:52am On Oct 03, 2008
Big B1:

First, I must admit to you (blackspade) that this is an excellent article and I recommend to others to take a quick look at it.

Second, it bothers me when Nigerians in America feel free to castigate African Americans for not measuring up to the golden standard. I wonder what is this Nigerian Golden Standard?
Just keep in mind that if it wasn't for these people, you hypocrite would be here with me in Ajegunle eating smoked corn for dinner 6 times a week.

Personally, I'll prefer African Americans to criticise each other; but for some Nigerian back-scratcher to careless open up his or her mouth to talk down at these people is absolutely ridiculous.

Finally, instead of bringing them down, why not show your sincere support by embracing what they've been through and what they stand for?

Yes, they do not have our incredible culture, but could someone please give me a complete description of our diluted uncivilised culture?
We need to slow down a bit; with all our education, flashy cars, and big houses, most of us are still empty inside.

It is very important for us to clearly understand that we're all equal, and none of us is in a position to point out the defectiveness of others; especially African Americans.

Between you and I, this group of people (African Americans) indirectly look up to us (Africans); and we mustn't allow our ignorance and anger to cloud our judgment.; we are all brothers and sisters.

Though I may disagree with you on some of your political views at times, you are spot on with your statement and make great points. We, as Nigerians in America, owe our being here to the same African-Americans that we openly criticize, ignoring that we have our own problems. I believe that our own ignorance adds to the issues of black Americans. I will also vote that their grievances are justified. Let African-Americans work on their problems. They've been improving themselves before we arrived, and will continue to improve themselves without our say.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by maryray(f): 12:59am On Oct 31, 2008
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by maryray(f): 1:42am On Oct 31, 2008
[b]
It's laughable that people talk about Asians being highest achievers when the evidence doesn't say so.

Comparing the so-called high-achieving Asians in America and African Americans, in the contemporary sense, is wrong-headed!

It is well known that immigrants from a given population are pre-selected by skill from that population. In today's world and in the context of immigrants to America, this skill revolves around academics - American schools maintain the centers of gravity of numerous areas of knowledge. These so-called high-achieving Asians are largely immigrants. So, why not compare Asian immigrants with African immigrants? Thank the Almighty God for the power of numbers .

From the 2000 US census, it is clear that on every measurable form of academic achievement African immigrants beat Asian immigrants. African immigrants have the highest level of measurable academic achievement among all immigrant groups in the United States. However, such news is hushed down in an America that refuses to believe that blacks can do as well as any other racial group if given the opportunity. Furthermore, studies have also revealed that second-generation African immigrants maintain the high academic achievement trait better than second-generation Asian immigrants.

Aren't the African immigrants considered African American? Why doesn't the media mention this: that black immigrants from Africa have superior performance in academics, measurably higher than the Asian immigrants? Simple. The media doesn't believe this is true .

Sources:
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_immigrants#Educational_Attainment
2. http://www.asian-nation.org/immigrant-stats.shtml

@ RichyBlack as i said in my messed up comment above, ur point is great!

@ BI,,  thanks u've totally said my mind, good point

Though I may disagree with you on some of your political views at times, you are spot on with your statement and make great points. We, as Nigerians in America, owe our being here to the same African-Americans that we openly criticize, ignoring that we have our own problems. I believe that our own ignorance adds to the issues of black Americans. I will also vote that their grievances are justified. Let African-Americans work on their problems. They've been improving themselves before we arrived, and will continue to improve themselves without our say.

Thanks Orimili

and to the asshole who said that back americans who help make changes in amwerica are a minority

black poeple have invented that you use in everyday life

3000 plus patents.

black people are the ones  that protested to get the civil rights act passed so that all races of people would get equal rights.

black americans have prestigous schools like howard,spelman,tuskegee

black americans have astromoners,physicts and one the best neurosurgoens in the world is a black american.

you should start reading magazines like black enterprise that showcase black american scientists,egineers,doctors,lawyers and ceo's rather than reading ebony and jet.

newsweek and time magazine is started and owned by black americans.

ya dig.

@ Girl22, lol but true. That is a great point. Also they/we (because we're one) own Essence magazine n BET. In addition Black Americans invented the car engine, traffic sign, toilet, bicycle, performed the first succesful heart surgery, etc. Prob is whites know we Africans r gullible n believe everything they say, so they present ideas the way they want it, they even made me believe Africa was "totally wack" until i did some research n found out we do have great places in Africa n not just Nigeria. Take Ivory Coast for e.g, d place is so very developed, but they have d same unemployment probs we have. This is cos d whites from france have taken up most of their jobs, and have taken over about 99 percent of their businesses!, they come out of University to no jobs n since they resorted to robbery like some Nigerian's, d whites there started saying that d Blacks/Natives there r bad.

And don't forget guys, the Asians don't go tro as much set backs n racism as Blacks, n they r given more opportunities to succeed, without d whites oppression they know that Blacks would have taken over like they did many years ago before d whites got angry n revolted. Also because they r able to compete in sports, they have totally used their African skills, n they r now d best, including in d entertainment sector.[/b]
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by maryray(f): 6:01am On Oct 31, 2008
Wow check out what has been hiden 4r a long time!. did u know that Abraham Lincoln n 4 other presidents of America were Black shocked, lol Genetics. Blacks that looked white enough to pass off as whites to save themselves from oppression, lol!. Thats why Lincoln stopped slavery in America, because he was Black!,  check u'll also see Black inventors.

http://www.geocities.com/cureworks1/5blkpres.htm

Following the Civil War, the growth of industry in this country was tremendous and much of this was made possible with inventions by ethnic minorities. By 1913 over 1,000 inventions were patented by Black Americans shocked. Among the most notable inventors were Jan Matzeliger, who developed the first machine to mass-produce shoes, and Elijah McCoy, who invented automatic lubrication devices for steam engines. Granville Woods had 35 patents to improve electric railway systems including the first system to allow moving trains to communicate. He even sued Alexander Graham Bell and Thomas Edison for stealing his patents and won both cases. Garrett Morgan developed the first automatic traffic signal and gas mask, and Norbert Rilleux who created the technique for converting sugar cane juice into white sugar crystals. Lewis Latimer created an inexpensive cotton-thread filament, which made electric light bulbs practical because Edison's original light bulb only burned for a few minutes. More recent inventors include[b] McKinley Jones, who invented the movable refrigeration unit for food transport in trucks and trains and Lloyd Quarterman who worked on the creation of the atomic bomb along with six other Black scientists (code named the Manhattan Project.) He also helped develop the first nuclear reactor, which was used in the atomic powered submarine called the Nautilus.[/b]

I'd like to conclude with two current contributors. I guess it should not be surprising that we don't know about the wonderful contributions of Blacks in the past because we are not even made aware of the startling scientific achievements during our own lifetime. For example, Otis Bodkin invented an electrical device used in all guided missiles and all IBM computers, and Colonel Frederick Gregory, who was not only the first Black astronaut pilot but the person who also redesigned the cockpits for the last 3 space shuttles. Gregory was also on the team that pioneered the microwave instrumentation landing system.  Bendix Aircraft Company will be promoting this system worldwide to land planes without a pilot, using this computer based microwave system.
Carter G. Woodson wrote: "If a race has no history, if it has no worthwhile tradition, it becomes a negligible factor in the thought of the world, and it stands in danger of being exterminated." In order for us to avoid extermination, we Black people must rediscover our history and our good name. I look forward to the day when someone asks: "What have Blacks contributed to mankind?” and any 1st grade child can answer: "We gave you the human race, and then we helped to civilize it."

Got some of this info's from this site,  http://www.computerhealth.org/ebook/statue.htm

Gotta go guyz, Ciao!
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Reston2000: 7:08pm On Nov 12, 2008
I'm an African American, and I'd like to say that people of all races complain from time to time, but no one has the authority to determine whether someone else's complaint is legit or not.

I noticed some members here posted a few stats on African Americans, so I hope the stats I provided below will prove to you that we are doing much better than you realize.

1) Black Americans have a buying power of 892 billion dollars.

2) Black Americans give more than 11 billion dollars to charity each year.

3) More than 1 of every 4 Black Americans works in management, professional, and related occupations.

4) Over 4 million Black American households earn 50,000 dollars or more.

5) Over 2 million Black American households earn 75,000 dollars or more.

6) Over one million Black American households earn 100,000 or more.

7) Over one million Black Americans hold Phd's, Medical and Law Degrees.

cool Black American businesses generate over 90 billion in revenues.

9) Over 16 million Black Americans live in the suburbs.

10) 75% of Black Americans are middle class, working class citizens.

11) There are two black American billionaires; Oprah Winfrey and Robert L. Johnson.

12) If Black Americans had their own country they would have the 16th largest economy in the world based on gross domestic product(GDP).

13) Click below to read about a few of the many Affluent Black American communities across the US.

http://www.africanamericandigest.com/Affluent,

14) Click below to read about our Black American CEO's and Politicians.

http://www.blackvoices.com/black-history-month/black-ceos

Sources:
http://www.africanamericandigest.com/
http://www.marketingcharts.com/television/aff,
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Horus(m): 7:39pm On Nov 12, 2008
There are today over two million Americans incarcerated in federal and state prisons and local jails throughout the United States. More than one-half, or one million, are black men and women. The devastating human costs of the mass incarceration of one out of every 35 individuals within black America are beyond imagination.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Reston2000: 8:02pm On Nov 12, 2008
Eezzy,  through Africa's gained independence from their colonial powers, the Africans themselves have had similar opportunities as well.  African nations were given a stable economy, a strong infrastructure, control over their own natural resources and millions of dollars.  Africans gained their sovereignty roughly around the same time we gained our civil rights, and I find it amazing how this is always overlooked.  

Eezzy, Nigerians prefer to act and sing too, otherwise your Nollywood wouldn't be in existence.  Most of us are succeeding here in America, but instead of doing genuine research, you would rather generalize.  The majority of us aren't whiners because we wouldn't have gained our civil rights if we were.   The lack of knowledge is to blame for your opinion.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Reston2000: 8:11pm On Nov 12, 2008
Horus:

There are today over two million Americans incarcerated in federal and state prisons and local jails throughout the United States. More than one-half, or one million, are black men and women. The devastating human costs of the mass incarceration of one out of every 35 individuals within black America are beyond imagination.

Why are you concerned about American incarceration rates It would make more sense for you to focus on your rates in the UK. It's amazing how you guys just sit around and try to find some negative stats on other blacks to make yourselves feel better.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by tpia: 11:39pm On Nov 12, 2008
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Horus(m): 11:40pm On Nov 12, 2008
Reston2000:

Why are you concerned about American incarceration rates It would make more sense for you to focus on your rates in the UK. It's amazing how you guys just sit around and try to find some negative stats on other blacks to make yourselves feel better.
Why do you say other blacks??,we are one race of blacks and we should all be concerned about every blacks on the planet.If we are divided and not united ,we will not progress.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Kobojunkie: 3:24am On Nov 13, 2008
Reston2000:

I'm an African American, and I'd like to say that people of all races complain from time to time, but no one has the authority to determine whether someone else's complaint is legit or not.

I noticed some members here posted a few stats on African Americans, so I hope the stats I provided below will prove to you that we are doing much better than you realize.

1) Black Americans have a buying power of 892 billion dollars.

2) Black Americans give more than 11 billion dollars to charity each year.

3) More than 1 of every 4 Black Americans works in management, professional, and related occupations.

4) Over 4 million Black American households earn 50,000 dollars or more.

5) Over 2 million Black American households earn 75,000 dollars or more.

6) Over one million Black American households earn 100,000 or more.

7) Over one million Black Americans hold Phd's, Medical and Law Degrees.

cool Black American businesses generate over 90 billion in revenues.

9) Over 16 million Black Americans live in the suburbs.

10) 75% of Black Americans are middle class, working class citizens.

11) There are two black American billionaires; Oprah Winfrey and Robert L. Johnson.

12) If Black Americans had their own country they would have the 16th largest economy in the world based on gross domestic product(GDP).

13) Click below to read about a few of the many Affluent Black American communities across the US.

http://www.africanamericandigest.com/Affluent,

14) Click below to read about our Black American CEO's and Politicians.

http://www.blackvoices.com/black-history-month/black-ceos

Sources:
http://www.africanamericandigest.com/
http://www.marketingcharts.com/television/aff,

Wow!! You mean African Americans are doing this well in America? Now I can tell all those who tell me stories of how the system is working against them and how every other white person is racists to them, to go SHOVE IT OR DIE!!! grin
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Reston2000: 9:31am On Nov 13, 2008
tpia:

of course these figures include Africans in America. ie people who were born in Africa but immigrated to America.

But will you see someone admit this little fact? No.

We're all one when we're trying to pull some fast numbers on each other, but everybody knows where his family house is located after the curtain gets drawn.

No, the stats I provided only include African Americans, or Black Americans. The African immigrant population here barely exceeds 2 million, and their stats are separated from ours.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Reston2000: 10:09am On Nov 13, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Wow!! You mean African Americans are doing this well in America?

Yes it's true! We're all perceived as being poor because of the constant negative imagery.

Kobojunkie:

Now I can tell all those who tell me stories of how the system is working against them and how every other white person is racists to them, to go SHOVE IT OR DIE!!! grin

No, I would refrain from casting judgement until you're able to obtain more info on their situation. Even though racism can't keep us from succeeding, discrimination is very real and can create some minor setbacks. Not all of us experience this sort of thing, but it can be frustrating and annoying. The issue is that we assume foreign blacks will instantly understand our frustrations because they're black too, when in fact we're completely different groups of people. Now if those individuals are CHRONIC complainers, then maybe your last few words would be appropriate.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Reston2000: 10:18am On Nov 13, 2008
Horus:

Why do you say other blacks??,we are one race of blacks and we should all be concerned about every blacks on the planet.If we are divided and not united ,we will not progress.

Sorry, there's no such thing as black solidarity. There is too much division, competition, etc. We're separated by our different experiences and history, etc.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Kobojunkie: 5:42pm On Nov 13, 2008
Reston2000:

Yes it's true! We're all perceived as being poor because of the constant negative imagery.

No, I would refrain from casting judgement until you're able to obtain more info on their situation.

Are you serious? I should refrain from judgment? You mean if I met a black man who whines to me about how the GOVERNMENT kept him from going to school (maybe not in those exact words but it is sort of like the government is always to blame) and that all white people around him came together to make sure he did not attend college and his life take a miserable path, I should wait to get more information before I decide, based on what you posted above, to tell him to go DIE?   shocked

Even though racism can't keep us from succeeding, discrimination is very real and can create some minor setbacks.
I have to point out here that there is no one place on this planet where discrimination does not exist. Every single human being on the planet has experienced it at some level, be you black, white or green. Even right in the heart of Africa, we continue to see what it does to the masses. Look at the events in Darfur, what do you think that is? Look at the situation in the Middle East? What do you think that is? Do you think the thousands of Iraqis who have died since the "END of the IRAQI WAR" died just because they loved bullets too much? They died as a result of discrimination that existed right there in there own homes (Sunni vs. Shiite). The problem is making discrimination the pillar by which your success should be judged is to me ludicrous.

Here is an example I like to give. Africans who come to America continue to excel more than there African American counterparts who were born and raised in the same land. Most of these Africans experienced serious discrimination from their own governments and even families back in Africa, prior to moving to America. Some of these Africans steal away on boats or more recently were allowed the opportunity to relocate by way of the visa lottery program.

Another Example to look at is this, case of Africans who were born in Africa, seem to mirror the same as those who were born outside of America. The numbers show they tend to be more educated and more able to take advantage of opportunities available to them in America.

Now here is the question. Are you then going to tell me it is the case that African American’s are more discriminated against than Africans who happen to be in America? I have always wanted to have this question answered in all honesty.

Not all of us experience this sort of thing, but it can be frustrating and annoying.

I am sorry, most all of us do to some degree. I just spoke to a long time friend last night and was shocked at his response when I told him I lived in Birmingham AL at one time. The guy told of how he would never live there because, according to him all the white people there are racist. I was not only shocked that someone could make such a claim but make such based on nothing but rumours and past history of the place. Birmingham happens to be a mega city with people from all parts of the world. I had a white room mate when I lived down there and lived in the MountainView ( predominantly white) area. Never had a single racist person cross my path. Infact, many of the people there were nice and down to earth. I even got a ride home from white people in the area who happened to know I was heading their way. I met a lot of successful black people there who openly told me of how Birmingham is not really as racist as people claim. I met Africans who confessed that they have experienced more discrimination from African Americans than they have from white Americans ( I happen to be one of them). Now there are definitely some racists from both sides. But to tell me that hampers your success in one way or another is utterly ridiculous and has just recently been proven by the election of obama as president. So PERISH THAT THOUGHT OR GO DIE is my new answer to people who feed me with such junk.

The issue is that we assume foreign blacks will instantly understand our frustrations because they're black too, when in fact we're completely different groups of people.

Africans understand racism. Africans understand prejudice, Africans understand frustrations and Africans understand discrimination but I believe most Africans do not understand why all those factors should in any way be used as excuse for why one does not succeed as an individual and a member of the community. Most of the Africans you see today came from places where they have had to live on practically NOTHING, with no one to care for them and no government to help with any checks or help of any sort. We are talking of people coming from living in mud huts with no roofs to America, to take advantage of the same opportunities available to all persons. If you feel we are a completely different people, may I suggest you drop everything you have acquired here and move back to a place like Uganda, Somalia, Nigeria etc. Then come back and tell me how those people do not understand what it means to be discriminated against, frustrated or maltreated and treated worse than animals.

Now if those individuals are CHRONIC complainers, then maybe your last few words would be appropriate.

Well. . . Chronic complainers exist on both sides. I have met white Americans who blame the system for most everything and have never really had a problem telling them to shove it or go die. LoL and I am afraid the same applies to black American chronic complainers. Problem is the chronic complainers on the black side use the race card knowing that people are still sensitive about such and that to me is the main problem.

Over the years, we have seen members of the black community get into various high offices across country, but still we have people in the black community who believe the system and the WHITES are against them. We have seen black millionaires and billionaires but NO, the whites have remained against the blacks in the minds of many in the black community. Even this election was made about race as many still held to that old belief. With Obama’s election however, I will gladly tell white Americans to ignore situations where those cards are played and basically tell anyone who brings up the race issue to SHOVE IT OR DIE. What say you?
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by tpia: 6:12pm On Nov 13, 2008
Reston2000:

No, the stats I provided only include African Americans, or Black Americans. The African immigrant population here barely exceeds 2 million, and their stats are separated from ours.

not true.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Reston2000: 9:10pm On Nov 14, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Are you serious? I should refrain from judgment? You mean if I met a black man who whines to me about how the GOVERNMENT kept him from going to school (maybe not in those exact words but it is sort of like the government is always to blame) and that all white people around him came together to make sure he did not attend college and his life take a miserable path, I should wait to get more information before I decide, based on what you posted above, to tell him to go DIE? shocked

Well if you see it that way, then go for it!

Kobojunkie:

Here is an example I like to give. Africans who come to America continue to excel more than there African American counterparts who were born and raised in the same land. Most of these Africans experienced serious discrimination from their own governments and even families back in Africa, prior to moving to America. Some of these Africans steal away on boats or more recently were allowed the opportunity to relocate by way of the visa lottery program.
Another Example to look at is this, case of Africans who were born in Africa, seem to mirror the same as those who were born outside of America. The numbers show they tend to be more educated and more able to take advantage of opportunities available to them in America.

No, that's not true, and I say that because African Americans are continuing to excel just like people of other cultures. A considerable portion of AA's have associate and bachelor's degrees, and remember there are a plethora of ways to excel here in the US. For instance, many of us are real estate agents, real estate brokers, electricians, pc technicians, authors, magazine editors and columists, which pay very well, but don't require a college degree. Also keep in mind that AA businesses earn more than the businesses of other cultures, and we have a purchasing power of 892 billion. We wouldn't be able to purchase so much if we didn't have a strong middle class.

I also want to mention that it does little justice to compare Africans in America and AA's, mainly because you're comparing us to people of various nationalities and races, and the African immigrant population only hovers a little over 2 million. Here in America, Egyptians, Berbers, whites, and Indians from your continent are also classified as African.

Kobojunkie:

The numbers show they tend to be more educated and more able to take advantage of opportunities available to them in America.

Africans across the internet seem to echo this same sentiment, but you all fail to realize that Africans gained their independence roughly around the same time we gained our civil rights. Through your gained indenpendence, each respective African nation were given a stable economy, a strong infrastructure, control over their own natural resources and millions of dollars. You guys have had plenty of opportunities to create and maintain efficient economies, as well as generate wealth and affluence. You folks also have colleges and universities over there too.

Kobojunkie:

Now here is the question. Are you then going to tell me it is the case that African American’s are more discriminated against than Africans who happen to be in America? I have always wanted to have this question answered in all honesty.

Nope, AA's aren't discriminated against any more than other races are.

Kobojunkie:

Over the years, we have seen members of the black community get into various high offices across country, but still we have people in the black community who believe the system and the WHITES are against them. We have seen black millionaires and billionaires but NO, the whites have remained against the blacks in the minds of many in the black community. Even this election was made about race as many still held to that old belief. With Obama’s election however, I will gladly tell white Americans to ignore situations where those cards are played and basically tell anyone who brings up the race issue to SHOVE IT OR DIE. What say you?

You should do whatever uplifts your spirits, but you need to understand that you're criticizing AA's for doing something that Nigerians do themselves. I do find it peculiar that you're so preoccupied with our complaints and concerns.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Kobojunkie: 9:31pm On Nov 14, 2008
Reston2000:

No, that's not true, and I say that because African Americans are continuing to excel just like people of other cultures. A considerable portion of AA's have associate and bachelor's degrees, and remember there are a plethora of ways to excel here in the US.
For instance, many of us are real estate agents, real estate brokers, electricians, pc technicians, authors, magazine editors and columists, which pay very well, but don't require a college degree. Also keep in mind that AA businesses earn more than the businesses of other cultures, and we have a purchasing power of 892 billion. We wouldn't be able to purchase so much if we didn't have a strong middle class.

Well, be it as it may, it still remains that Africans in America are still considered to excel more than there African American counterparts. Sure, there are indications that the AA numbers are rising but it still remains that Africans are more educated and considered more successful percentage wise then the AAs’, regardless of definition applies to success. Check the US census for more information. This is from census numbers. Now, when we consider the businesses, you do understand that the purchasing power attributed to AA’s in most researches still include Africans are members of the AA community?

Reston2000:

I also want to mention that it does little justice to compare Africans in America and AA's, mainly because you're comparing us to people of various nationalities and races, and the African immigrant population only hovers a little over 2 million. Here in America, Egyptians, Berbers, whites, and Indians from your continent are also classified as African.

Hmm. . . .

Reston2000:

Africans across the internet seem to echo this same sentiment, but you all fail to realize that Africans gained their independence roughly around the same time we gained our civil rights. Through your gained indenpendence, each respective African nation were given a stable economy, a strong infrastructure, control over their own natural resources and millions of dollars. You guys have had plenty of opportunities to create and maintain efficient economies, as well as generate wealth and affluence. You folks also have colleges and universities over there too.

We seem to be on the same page so far. . .

Reston2000:

Nope, AA's aren't discriminated against any more than other races are.

You should do whatever uplifts your spirits, but you need to understand that you're criticizing AA's for doing something that Nigerians do themselves. I do find it peculiar that you're so preoccupied with our complaints and concerns.

Actually, if you have EVER taken time out to read my posts on here, you would note that I am just as critical of Nigerians as I am of AA’s and White trash. In my opinion, the average AA has no reason not to excel in America, as the Average African in America or the Average White in America. Hence the reason why I do not accept that I can not tell some AA who comes up with the RACE CARD reason to SHOVE IT OR DIE, regardless of how hardcore his complaint may be.

For Africa, we have our issues and we see that issue eating into the future of our kids on a daily basis but I believe for all, AAs and Africans alike (be they black Africans, Caucasian or Egyptian) America continues to offer a LEVEL playing ground for all those who want to succeed and so I do not accept the playing of the RACE CARD as a reason for not to SUCCEED in America, no matter what race or group you belong to. That excuse died a long time ago. I have even met Nigerians who play that card when questioned about there choices in America. Should I accept that excuse from a fellow Nigerian? HECK NO!!! I won’t and I certainly would not accept it from an AA who was born and raised here either.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Reston2000: 10:32pm On Nov 14, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Well, be it as it may, it still remains that Africans in America are still considered to excel more than there African American counterparts. Sure, there are indications that the AA numbers are rising but it still remains that Africans are more educated and considered more successful percentage wise then the AAs’, regardless of definition applies to success. Check the US census for more information. This is from census numbers. Now, when we consider the businesses, you do understand that the purchasing power attributed to AA’s in most researches still include Africans are members of the AA community?

Everyone culture in America believes they're doing better than AA's, but it's certainly not the truth, and that's mainly attributed to the lack of information. AA's are considered to be more successful than Africans here and abroad, and I believe it's because we were able to take advantage of the opportunities we created, while Africans failed to take advantage of the opportunities given to them by the colonial powers. In regards to your last few sentences, you seem to be implying that the US census separates our educational successes, but then combines our purchasing power and business revenues. If so, then what you just stated is an outright lie. I hope you don't have a problem with us attaining a purchasing power of 892 billion. Here in America, you're either referred to as an African immigrant or a Nigerian American, not an African American. All of our stats are separated, because we are different people.

http://www.marketingcharts.com/television/affluent-african-americans-making-impact-on-consumer-economy-3412/

One more thing, even though it doesn't matter, you're still comparing us to DIFFERENT African nationalities, unless Africa now is considered to be a borderless nation.

Kobojunkie:

Actually, if you have EVER taken time out to read my posts on here, you would note that I am just as critical of Nigerians as I am of AA’s and White trash. In my opinion, the average AA has no reason not to excel in America, as the Average African in America or the Average White in America. Hence the reason why I do not accept that I can not tell some AA who comes up with the RACE CARD reason to SHOVE IT OR DIE, regardless of how hardcore his complaint may be.

For Africa, we have our issues and we see that issue eating into the future of our kids on a daily basis but I believe for all, AAs and Africans alike (be they black Africans, Caucasian or Egyptian) America continues to offer a LEVEL playing ground for all those who want to succeed and so I do not accept the playing of the RACE CARD as a reason for not to SUCCEED in America, no matter what race or group you belong to. That excuse died a long time ago. I have even met Nigerians who play that card when questioned about there choices in America. Should I accept that excuse from a fellow Nigerian? HECK NO!!! I won’t and I certainly would not accept it from an AA who was born and raised here either.

I just think it would be better for you to focus on your own people.
Re: African Americans, A Bunch Of Whiners Or Are Their Grievances Justified? by Kobojunkie: 11:03pm On Nov 14, 2008
Reston2000:

Everyone culture in America believes they're doing better than AA's, but it's certainly not the truth, and that's mainly attributed to the lack of information. AA's are considered to be more successful than Africans here and abroad, and I believe it's because we were able to take advantage of the opportunities we created, while Africans failed to take advantage of the opportunities given to them by the colonial powers.

I am sorry but this has absolutely nothing to do with culture but about what the stats continue to show. It seems to me that you are sort of approaching this from a sentimental point as an AA ( which is what you claim to be) and I am sorry that is not going to work for me. It is RECORDED as FACTUAL that in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, AA’s are not doing as well as Africans in AMERICA. Now if we wanted to continue injecting sentiments into this, we will never get anywhere. Check all the polls and you will see that even Hispanics are doing tremendously better than AA’s considering most of these are immigrants in this country still.  Can we please stick to Facts and not continue to manufacture FACTS out of sentiments?

@Tpia already pointed out to you earlier that majority of the stats that try to lift AAs as a group that is doing well in America continue to INCLUDE people of AFRICAN immigrants in those numbers and that is where we are not able to get the most accurate readings from those.

Reston2000:

In regards to your last few sentences, you seem to be implying that the US census separates our educational successes, but then combines our purchasing power and business revenues. If so, then what you just stated is an outright lie. I hope you don't have a problem with us attaining a purchasing power of 892 billion. Here in America, you're either referred to as an African immigrant or a Nigerian American, not an African American. All of our stats are separated, because we are different people.

Nope. The US Census does separate the educational success but I have yet to actually find a report separating the earnings of Africans in America from that of AAs. Her eis a good site for you to check out. There are tons of reports for you to peruse to better understand what I am talking of here. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/index.html

http://www.marketingcharts.com/television/affluent-african-americans-making-impact-on-consumer-economy-3412/

Did you intentionally skip this part of the report on the link you posted that says

About the report: “The African-American Market in the US” highlights the shopping, spending and leisure-time habits of the 2.4 million affluent African-American households with a household income of $75,000 or more. Packaged Facts has included individuals who identify in Census Bureau data as black or African American alone in their definition of African-American, regardless of whether they also identify as Hispanics.

That there would include all those who claim to be AFRICAN regardless of whether they be from Egypt, Algeria, Morocco etc, right?

Reston2000:

One more thing, even though it doesn't matter, you're still comparing us to DIFFERENT African nationalities, unless Africa now is considered to be a borderless nation.

I just think it would be better for you to focus on your own people.

Africans are Africans. Be they from Morocco Or Egypt Or even South Africa. They are all Africans and are mostly affected by the state of government and all the crisis in Africa. I do focus on my people but in America, I note that I am bundled as one of the blacks in America in most cases and so what’s the fuzz?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

South Africa, The Land Of Rapists, Pedophiles And Savages - Child Sexual Abuse / Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate / Angola's AMAZING Post-War Transformation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.