Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,506 members, 7,823,188 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:11 AM

Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore (26952 Views)

11 Subtle Health Symptoms You Shouldn't Ignore / 15 Cancer Symptoms Women Shouldn't Ignore / 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by Sirgen05(m): 1:58pm On Nov 20, 2013
You need not fear when next you feel that pang of headache, not all medical symptoms will become serious but Shulman, in his book, ‘Your Body’s Red Light Warning Signals,’ gives some medical symptoms that mean that you need urgent medical attention.

• If you have unexplained weight loss and/or loss of appetite, you may have a serious underlying medical illness.

“If you’re on a diet, you’re expecting this to happen. But if you’re eating the same way – and now have to adjust your belt a few notches tighter – you could have a serious problem,” Shulman says.

“With ovarian cancer, the opposite is true,” he says. “Fluid builds in the abdomen, and women think they are gaining weight. But if you have been at the same weight range for years, and doing nothing different, see a doctor.”

• Slurred speech, paralysis, weakness, tingling, burning pains, numbness, and confusion are signs of a stroke, and you should get to an appropriate emergency centre immediately. Early treatment may prevent permanent damage to the brain or even save your life.

Slurred speech can often go unnoticed, says Shulman. However, you might have a blood clot in a blood vessel going to the brain or bleeding in a blood vessel.

• Black, tarry stools may indicate a hemorrhage from an ulcer of the stomach or the intestine. It is important to stop the bleeding and to rule out cancer as a cause.

What you eat changes the colour of stools. But black, tarry stools mean there may be bleeding higher in the intestine, says Shulman. It could be a sign of a bleeding ulcer or cancer in the intestine.

• A headache accompanied by a stiff neck and fever is an indicator of a serious infection called meningitis.

In fact, if you can’t put your chin on your chest, that’s a sign you may have bacterial meningitis, says Shulman. You need antibiotics immediately to kill the bacteria before it infects and scars the brain.

• A sudden, agonising headache, more severe than any you have felt before, could mean you are bleeding in the brain. Go to an emergency room immediately.

A brain aneurysm is rare, but it can happen – even in people under 40. “It can be very disastrous if it’s not treated,” says Shulman. If you have a severe, crushing headache, you may have an aneurysm, which is a blood-filled pouch bulging out from a weak spot in the wall of a brain artery. If treated before it bursts, it could save your life.

• For women, vaginal bleeding after menopause is a warning sign of possible cancer.

Some women are in denial when they discover postmenopausal bleeding. “Others think it’s a little cut, or something in their urine,” says Shulman. But bleeding after menopause is a sign of uterine cancer, which is treatable if caught early.

• For men, a lump in your testicle with or without a small lump in the groin could be serious. Testicular cancer is more commonly found in testicles that did not naturally descend from the abdomen to the scrotum.

Guys, when you take a shower, check yourself, says Shulman. “That doesn’t mean you have to do it every day, but once in a while. It’s so simple, simpler than washing your hair. It becomes an automatic thing, then it’s easier to remember. If you know what ‘normal’ feels like, then you’ll know when it feels abnormal.”
http://www.punchng.com/healthwise/medical-signals-you-shouldnt-ignore/

9 Likes

Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by pedel: 2:56pm On Nov 20, 2013
Thanks for the information.
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by Nobody: 2:57pm On Nov 20, 2013
Boy, lemme go check myself

1 Like

Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by Bishop4bella(m): 2:58pm On Nov 20, 2013
Space booked
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by Lilimax(f): 2:59pm On Nov 20, 2013
Very informative.
@ OP- Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by kiviglomi: 2:59pm On Nov 20, 2013
booked
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by begwong: 2:59pm On Nov 20, 2013
ok!
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by chuxkyadin(m): 3:00pm On Nov 20, 2013
tank 4 d info
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by Cheks01(f): 3:01pm On Nov 20, 2013
A very good one there.
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by Vicjay1(m): 3:01pm On Nov 20, 2013
Okkkk.
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by Jayses(m): 3:01pm On Nov 20, 2013
Owk let me observe
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by Nobody: 3:01pm On Nov 20, 2013
Applicable only to oyibo people abeg.
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by venous(f): 3:03pm On Nov 20, 2013
Thanks for the tip...
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by tellwisdom: 3:04pm On Nov 20, 2013
Doctors are plain liars and i don't go near them undecided

1 Like

Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by Jarus(m): 3:04pm On Nov 20, 2013
Good. When I saw the headline, I came here to mention number 1 and 2, and I can see they had been mentioned in the article already. Unexplained weight loss can be a dangerous signal of cancer or liver/kidney damage. Blood in stool, especially if more than once or twice, can also be a sign of cancer of gastrointestinal tract (colon, rectum etc). See gastroenterologist shap shap. I knew this but didn't want to interfere when one of my former colleagues was on phone with someone (brother or mum herself) and was being told their mum was having blood in her stool. Overheard the discussion, and almost told them to go and do colonoscopy for her, but didn't want to interfere in their family affairs. She was later diagnosed. She didn't make it.

1 Like

Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by Dannylux: 3:05pm On Nov 20, 2013
Interesting..
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 20, 2013
Abeg! Who get Tecno charger?
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by packman: 3:05pm On Nov 20, 2013
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by ngoziowotubo: 3:06pm On Nov 20, 2013
interesting but too boaring to read the whole
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by mikael78: 3:07pm On Nov 20, 2013
ok. Henceforth i will start checking my ****s
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by instinctg(m): 3:07pm On Nov 20, 2013
ok
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by rozayx5(m): 3:08pm On Nov 20, 2013
Dr. Wise:
Applicable only to oyibo people abeg.

that means your firewood undecided
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by oubi: 3:09pm On Nov 20, 2013
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by Sknda(m): 3:11pm On Nov 20, 2013
A daily devotional for you www.gospelshower..com
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by haysal(m): 3:14pm On Nov 20, 2013
Sometimes I have dis piercing and painful headache...
I don't know if it z related to brain aneurysm
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by Dollarjunkie: 3:14pm On Nov 20, 2013
venous: Thanks for the tip...

Come check my body for me abeg
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by GetGuide: 3:14pm On Nov 20, 2013
sign of compromise health
let them hear what the spirit is saying.

Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by Nobody: 3:15pm On Nov 20, 2013
Nice piece.
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by Sike(m): 3:16pm On Nov 20, 2013
What if person dey eat too much? Make i ignore that one too??
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by Nobody: 3:17pm On Nov 20, 2013
hay sal: Sometimes I have dis piercing and painful headache...
I don't know if it z related to brain aneurysm
No use ur mouth put yourself for medical problem. Be sure about sumtin b4 u spit out.
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by BE811APP: 3:18pm On Nov 20, 2013
ngoziowotubo: interesting but too boaring to read the whole

Wen it comes to healh... Can it ever be boring
Hope u read dat part of menopause
U shuld be geting close...
Re: Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore by Nobody: 3:18pm On Nov 20, 2013
Sike: What if person dey eat too much? Make i ignore that one too??
No ignore am if the food nor dey show for ur body.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Novel Coronavirus: NCDC Issues Public Health Advisory To Nigerians / 10 Things That Can Actually Increase Your Lifespan / Woman Gives Birth Twice In 9 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.