Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,422 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone (2685 Views)

If You Can Answer All These With The BIBLE ALONE I Willlleave The Church / i am leaving the church now.Christianity Is Not A True Religion! / Why Christianity Is Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by vickyO(f): 6:08pm On Nov 25, 2013
chukwudi44:

The church existed befoe the bible .That is a fact .NB: Church here does mean mushroom business centres
There were biblical writings before the church. Jesus quoted from it, Phillip explained it to the Ethiopian Eunuch and Paul and Peter quoted from it when preaching. Read the book of Acts.

1 Like

Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Enigma(m): 6:12pm On Nov 25, 2013
^^ In addition, Paul apparently quotes Luke. Peter refers to Paul's epistles. Paul asked the Colossians to share that epistle with others! smiley

Look, even their Roman Catholic encyclopaedia does not deny some of these things.

When necessary, I will quote from it.

smiley
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Enigma(m): 6:13pm On Nov 25, 2013
And by the way regarding the Old Testament, I suppose it was even the Roman Catholic Church who "canonised" that one --- for Jesus Christ Himself! wink

cool
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by vickyO(f): 6:14pm On Nov 25, 2013
lacum:
the topic we are treating is trying to give d bible its proper place in christendom. d bible is not a manual or textbook or history book for xtians. we should know that its a gift from God to d church to further God's kingdom on earth. it canneva take d place of church which is d primary source of truth for xtians.
Its through the Bible many of us today know about Christianity. The Bible is our guide to seeking and knowing the fullness of God.

1 Like

Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Nobody: 6:19pm On Nov 25, 2013
vickyO:
There were biblical writings before the church. Jesus quoted from it, Phillip explained it to the Ethiopian Eunuch and Paul and Peter quoted from it when preaching. Read the book of Acts.

Madam please note the point I am making.I said the church existed before the bible.I did not say it existed before the writing of scriptures or what you call biblical writings.The words bible and scriptures are not synonyms as the bible is only a subset of the larger scriptures.

The cathoplic church existed before the christian bible and was responsible for itz canonisation.
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Enigma(m): 6:22pm On Nov 25, 2013
vickyO:
Its through the Bible many of us today know about Christianity. The Bible is our guide to seeking and knowing the fullness of God.

Amidst a whole lot of senseless things even one of the important Roman Catholic documents, Dei Filius from Vatican I, says:

"Even the Holy Scriptures, which had previously been declared the sole source and judge of Christian doctrine ..."

smiley
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Enigma(m): 6:24pm On Nov 25, 2013
One I made earlier wink
----------------------------

For a start Jesus and the early Christians had a Bible --- it is called the Hebrew Bible or what Christians call Old Testament.

Jesus preached the gospel from it. The apostles and early Christians preached the gospel from it. A clear example is Philip preaching to the Ethiopian eunuch.

It is simply false to say that the Bible did not come into existence until 300 years after the death of Christ. It is a very bad lie!

The New testament was completed and in circulation by the end of the 1st century. There is clear evidence of this.

Christians already had and were using the Bible by the end of the 1st century.

Yep, I know people could raise issues about canonicity but those have already been addressed on several other threads.

EDIT And which "church" "gave birth" to the Old Testament?

smiley
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by vickyO(f): 6:25pm On Nov 25, 2013
chukwudi44:

Madam please note the point I am making.I said the church existed before the bible.I did not say it existed before the writing of scriptures or what you call biblical writings.The words bible and scriptures are not synonyms as the bible is only a subset of the larger scriptures.

The cathoplic church existed before the christian bible and was responsible for itz canonisation.
What is Scripture?
scrip·ture [skrípchər]
(plural scrip·tures) or Scrip·ture [skrípchər] (plural Scrip·tures)
noun
1. biblical writings: the sacred writings of the Bible
2. biblical text: a passage from the Bible

Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Shalom.

1 Like

Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by vickyO(f): 6:26pm On Nov 25, 2013
What is Bible?
Bi·ble [bb'l]
(plural Bi·bles)
noun
1. Christian holy book: the sacred book of the Christian religion
2. Jewish holy book: the Hebrew scriptures, the sacred book of the Jewish religion

Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Enigma: One I made earlier wink
----------------------------

For a start Jesus and the early Christians had a Bible --- it is called the Hebrew Bible or what Christians call Old Testament.

Jesus preached the gospel from it. The apostles and early Christians preached the gospel from it. A clear example is Philip preaching to the Ethiopian eunuch.

It is simply false to say that the Bible did not come into existence until 300 years after the death of Christ. It is a very bad lie!

The New testament was completed and in circulation by the end of the 1st century. There is clear evidence of this.

Christians already had and were using the Bible by the end of the 1st century.

Yep, I know people could raise issues about canonicity but those have already been addressed on several other threads.

EDIT And which "church" "gave birth" to the Old Testament?

smiley

1 Like

Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Enigma(m): 6:32pm On Nov 25, 2013
Actually, maybe we can clarify things this way:

1. The Christian Bible which was made in the first century came before "the Catholic Church" - let alone the Roman Catholic Church.

2. The Christian New Testament was produced by the Church and is a continuation of the Christian Old Testament (or Hebrew Bible) which existed before the Church of the Day of Pentecost.
------

3. On the other hand, the Roman Catholic Bible which was only made in 1546, and which is contrary to the Christian Bible of Christian tradition, was agreed by the Roman Catholic Church at a meeting with an unclear vote. That one came some 1500 or so years after "the Catholic Church" and also after the Roman Catholic Church.

smiley
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Nobody: 7:35pm On Nov 25, 2013
[/quote]What is Bible?
Bi·ble [bb'l]
(plural Bi·bles)
noun
1. Christian holy book: the sacred book of the Christian religion [quote]

Exactly what I mean.The christian canon which was decided by the Catholic church in the fourth century CE
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Enigma(m): 7:40pm On Nov 25, 2013
Yes, "the Catholic Church" now known as the Eastern Orthodox through people like Athanasius produced a canon list in the 4th century; in fact in AD 367 --- well before anything that the Roman Catholics can claim even fraudulently. grin

Meanwhile the Roman Catholic Church only set its own canon in 1546 with a dodgy vote and, naturally, an --- anathema! lol grin

smiley
Re: Christianity Is Not Fully Based On Bible Alone by Nobody: 10:56pm On Nov 25, 2013
chukwudi44:
Gospel of cherry picking of scriptures!! He has already decided within him to believe on sola fide irrespective of what scripture says.Anyother scripture contrary to what he beleived in is to be yanked off.
I must admit after reading that, my opinion of him have change to somthing less

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Scienctific Error Of Tower Of Babel / There's A Force Darker Than Satan? / Hello there

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.