Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,291 members, 7,836,279 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:03 AM

No Mo' Weaves! - A Female Reader's Experience - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / No Mo' Weaves! - A Female Reader's Experience (1172 Views)

Latest Weaves In The Market And Prices / Worm-infested Weaves Now In The Market / ~ How Long Do You Keep Your Weaves, Braids & Cornrows~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Mo' Weaves! - A Female Reader's Experience by infonubia(m): 3:52pm On Nov 21, 2013
I can only imagine what my beautiful black sistahs go through to make sure their hair is on point. I remember braiding and later twisting my hair back in 2006 (I wish I could find the some of the photos). Sitting for at least 3 hours for a braid wasn't fun at all.

A female reader sent this in and asked that I share with you. Ladies, she'd like to get your advise on how you rock your weaves without any issues.

Read and leave your comments....

If you have not seen the documentary 'Good Hair' by Chris Rock, make sure you grab a copy after reading this. Your eyes will be opened into the fascinating world of Black hair.

I have tried numerous hairstyles all through my life - perms, blow-outs, braids, dreadlocks, afros, cornrows, even various colors from blonde to red to streaks and highlights.

Some 14 years ago I chopped off all my hair and went natural, rebelling against relaxers or straighteners of any kind and I have not looked back since.

Looking to try something 'different' and seeing I had never done it before, I decided to try out a weave.

After 2 hours and $80 at my stylist I came out looking very nice and very different. Fast forward 4 days later at 11pm at night, I was in the bathroom taking it out, with my husband laughing by the door.

The problem? the itch! and because I have a lot of thick natural hair underneath, not enough air was getting to my scalp and it was just wicked uncomfortable.

I could have applied some products to help but seeing I have quite an active lifestyle working out and playing sports all the time, it was bound to get worse as I would sweat and not be able to air my thick nappy hair out.

So out the weave came and into the trashcan, and back to my comfy au naturel!

If you wear a weave, I'd like to know how you do it seeing I'm a rookie in that regard. I know the 'quality' of weaves are different ranging from $20 to thousands of dollars, the stylist skill matters, and your hair underneath as well - anything else important?

I do realize that for many black women especially in the workplace there is pressure to look a certain way and appear professional and hence we stick to a narrow range of styles.

As fussy as black hair is, it is also versatile and can be made into so many different styles, comfortable styles (emphasis on comfort), that does not result in pain, headaches, itching, laughing husbands and wasted $80. Needless to say, no mo' weaves for me smiley

http://www.infonubia.com/2013/11/no-mo-weaves-female-inubian-experience.html
Re: No Mo' Weaves! - A Female Reader's Experience by prymesolution: 6:28pm On Nov 21, 2013
omo, one of the things females go through. Una dey try biko.
Re: No Mo' Weaves! - A Female Reader's Experience by beautifulynappy(f): 6:54pm On Nov 21, 2013
Forget weaves and grow beautiful natural long hair!! Have a look at my new blog for tips on growing long Nigerian or African hair!

http://beautifullynappy./
Re: No Mo' Weaves! - A Female Reader's Experience by ladygogo: 8:28pm On Nov 21, 2013
you can grow your natural hair with our without relaxers. your hair grows. dont let anyone tell you otherwise. weaves and braids can be worn as a protective style.
Re: No Mo' Weaves! - A Female Reader's Experience by infonubia(m): 8:59pm On Nov 21, 2013
lady gogo: you can grow your natural hair with our without relaxers. your hair grows. dont let anyone tell you otherwise. weaves and braids can be worn as a protective style.

Good point!
Re: No Mo' Weaves! - A Female Reader's Experience by infonubia(m): 9:00pm On Nov 21, 2013
prymesolution: omo, one of the things females go through. Una dey try biko.
That's right. For, me I just cut my hair whenever I feel like cutting it. No more dreads, no more braids.
Re: No Mo' Weaves! - A Female Reader's Experience by infonubia(m): 12:03am On Nov 22, 2013
MMHair:
Comment on the topic, not advertise your hair product. Thanks!
Re: No Mo' Weaves! - A Female Reader's Experience by Onegai(f): 8:56am On Nov 22, 2013
Well, in Nigeria, natural hair is trendy. The only issue I see is in styling it. I struggle to style my hair (I've never been good at it) and would prefer to pay a stylist. However, trust Nigerians, everyone sees money and has jumped on the bandwagon: one told me to style my natural hair without products or any attachment added, bring N4,000 (kind of like a wash and set which will last a month), another stylist told me "you only need to apply shea butter on the scalp, not on the hair", defying the proven results of women who need moisture, not oil, to grow our pretty dry hair.
I've taken to braiding my hair and threading it. I went to a village, got it threaded and oh, it was lovely. Came back to Lagos, got it threaded and I've been in pain for 4 days (the stylist was taking out her vex on my scalp), pouring water on my head, unable to leave the house.
I wish we had sensible people working as stylists, natural hair would be a breeze. www.naijapretty..com
Re: No Mo' Weaves! - A Female Reader's Experience by infonubia(m): 1:11pm On Nov 22, 2013
Onegai: Well, in Nigeria, natural hair is trendy. The only issue I see is in styling it. I struggle to style my hair (I've never been good at it) and would prefer to pay a stylist. However, trust Nigerians, everyone sees money and has jumped on the bandwagon: one told me to style my natural hair without products or any attachment added, bring N4,000 (kind of like a wash and set which will last a month), another stylist told me "you only need to apply shea butter on the scalp, not on the hair", defying the proven results of women who need moisture, not oil, to grow our pretty dry hair.
I've taken to braiding my hair and threading it. I went to a village, got it threaded and oh, it was lovely. Came back to Lagos, got it threaded and I've been in pain for 4 days (the stylist was taking out her vex on my scalp), pouring water on my head, unable to leave the house.
I wish we had sensible people working as stylists, natural hair would be a breeze. www.naijapretty..com

Well said...
Re: No Mo' Weaves! - A Female Reader's Experience by infonubia(m): 3:57pm On Nov 25, 2013
Female Nairalanders, any suggestions?

(1) (Reply)

Things Not To Wear To A Wedding!! / Meet The Worlds Best Dressed Man / Mother-daughter Family Dress At Micostar Mall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.