Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,408 members, 7,815,896 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court (13156 Views)

Abubakar Bello Uncovers N70b Cash Withdrawals By Govt Officials / Dont Marry A Yoruba Man: Says Abiodun Kuforiji / Obasa Emerges Lagos Speaker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by karlmax2: 8:29pm On Nov 21, 2013
Federal High Court, Lagos on a 54-count charge of money laundering.
The EFCC had alleged that the duo conspired between April 2010 and July 2011, to commit an illegal act of accepting cash payments amounting to N273.3 million from the Lagos State House of Assembly (LAHA) without going through a financial institution.

The anti graft commission called its first prosecution witness, Mr Adebayo Adedeji, an investigating police officer to give evidence today (Thursday).

The witness told the court, presided by Justice Ibrahim Buba, that the commission’s investigations revealed that Hon. Ikuforiji received cash payments from the accounts section of the Lagos State House of Assembly about 57 times.

Four cash release registers recovered from the state house of assembly, according to the investigation showed that the cash was released in favour of the Lagos speaker, and the second accused person, his personal assistant.

The cash sums were above the threshold stipulated by the Money Laundering Act.
The witness also testified that apart from obtaining the four cash release registers, some members of the State House of Assembly had also made statements which confirmed the payments.

The members who made statements include, Mr Adewale Olatunji a former Clerk of the house, Mrs Toyin Atekoja the Accountant, Mr Rotimi Abirua the Director of Finance, and Mr Kolawole Taiwo the Deputy Speaker of the house.

The Second accused person also made a statement to the EFCC where he admitted to collecting the money on behalf of the Lagos Speaker.

Counsel to the EFCC, Mr Godwin Obla (SAN) then tendered all the statements in court as well as the cash registers.

Also tendered was a statement made by Speaker Ikuforiji admitting that most of the monies  received by the second accused, had been in cash since he assumed office as his personal assistant.
The Speaker had also disclosed in the statements that cash payments had been the tradition of the Lagos State House of Assembly since his assumption into office as Speaker.

The court admitted all the documents as exhibits before adjourning till the 2nd of December for continuation of trial.

The EFCC had on June 24, re-arraigned the two accused persons before Justice Ibrahim Buba, on an amended 54-count charge of money laundering.

The accused had however, pleaded not guilty to the charge, and were granted bail in the sum of N1 billion each with two sureties each in the sum of N500 million.

The prosecution had alleged that the duo conspired between April 2010 and July 2011, to commit an illegal act of accepting cash payments amounting to N273.3 million from the LAHA without going through a financial institution.

The EFCC  had also alleged that Hon Ikuforiji used his position to misappropriate about N500 million of the LAHA’s funds.

He told the court that the offences contravened Section 18(a) of the Money Laundering (prohibition) Act 2011.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/11/21/ikuforiji-made-cash-withdrawals-57-times-witness-tells-court/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by bigtt76(f): 8:41pm On Nov 21, 2013
Hmm ...counsel to EFCC Godwin Obla SAN ...former local government chairman of Otukpo LGA in Benue State. Otukpo is still groaning under under-development cause of corruption now assisting EFCC in proving corrupt cases. Naija ...God is watching o!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by psucc(m): 9:22pm On Nov 21, 2013
If na true i go tell my Local Govt Chiarman(Igbo spelling) to apply for EFCC job because since Feb 2009 the Local govt headquarters never see light let alone other areas and even the hope for it is not there the way he is vigorously pursuing his 2015 Assembly bid. I mean total darkness!!!
Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by geeez: 9:34pm On Nov 21, 2013
If the EFCC can prove beyond any iota of doubt that he is guilty then I support his prosecution

We will not queue behind anyone who for any reason commits any crime because he is our kinsman or woman

10 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by talktimi(m): 9:35pm On Nov 21, 2013
Lie Mohammed hasnt even coughed over this issue, even our in house "progressive" anti corruption crusaders are busy watching papa Ajasco whenever this matter crops up... Yeye dey really smell o jare

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by nuclearboy(m): 10:19pm On Nov 21, 2013
talktimi: Lie Mohammed hasnt even coughed over this issue, even our in house "progressive" anti corruption crusaders are busy watching papa Ajasco whenever this matter crops up... Yeye dey really smell o jare

Name one person who you have seen support him or ask that the case be thrown out or he NOT be investigated or that the law should not take its course, whether because he's Yoruba or because he's APC

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by agbameta: 10:39pm On Nov 21, 2013
geeez: If the EFCC can prove beyond any iota of doubt that he is guilty then I support his prosecution

We will not queue behind anyone who for any reason commits any crime because he is our kinsman or woman

In fact if guilty as charged, lock him up for good and throw away the damn key...

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by ASL33: 11:07pm On Nov 21, 2013
Igbos are matured I swear. Non of them is calling for his hanging/jail term before finding him guilty. During Oduah, just news paper publication was enof for some people to send her to gulag.

23 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by ASL33: 11:07pm On Nov 21, 2013
agbameta:

In fact if guilty as charged, lock him up for good and throw away the damn key...
did I read "if guilty" ?.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by agbameta: 11:21pm On Nov 21, 2013
ASL33: did I read "if guilty" ?.

That was basic English...

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by agbameta: 11:24pm On Nov 21, 2013
ASL33: Igbos are matured I swear. Non of them is calling for his hanging/jail term before finding him guilty. During Oduah, just news paper publication was enof for some people to send her to gulag.

You must be talking about your village newspaper. And what's so matured about your dumb and rretarded tribal BS about don't touch her because she's one of yours?

13 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by talktimi(m): 7:09am On Nov 22, 2013
nuclearboy:

Name one person who you have seen support him or ask that the case be thrown out or he NOT be investigated or that the law should not take its course, whether because he's Yoruba or because he's APC
name ONE person within the APC who has said he should resign his position as speaker at least until after charges against him have been dropped. Pls dont play the ethnic card with me because i dont play that way but the political party aspect stinks to high heavens since the APC has the unique ability to shift the goal post whenever it suits their whims

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by Demdem(m): 7:17am On Nov 22, 2013
If found guilty, he should be jailed.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by Otono2(m): 7:31am On Nov 22, 2013
No APC member is corrupt.. We are all saints. UP PROGRESSIVE.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by eluquenson(m): 7:46am On Nov 22, 2013
Our tax money shocked, God will judge them all.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by karlmax2: 8:03am On Nov 22, 2013
So some hypocrites actually know that one has to be found guilty by a competent court before that person is punished.

When it involves apc thieves , the court has to find them guilty before their e rats would ask him to be removed or punished

But when it comes to the FG and the pdp once a news media publishes a beer parlour corruption story the resident e rats on nairaland would find whoever is involved guilty without a fair hearing. They would scream for that individual to be sacked before his been pronounced quilty or even taken to court

20 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by geeez: 8:13am On Nov 22, 2013
karl max: So some hypocrites actually know that one has to be found guilty by a competent court before that person is punished.

When it involves apc thieves , the court has to find them guilty before their e rats would ask him to be removed or punished

But when it comes to the FG and the pdp once a news media publishes a beer parlour corruption story the resident e rats on nairaland would find whoever is involved guilty without a fair hearing. They would scream for that individual to be sacked before his been pronounced quilty or even taken to court

We know where you are going

Just tell us why the person you are defending hasn't been invited by this same EFCC?

The bigger idiosyncrasy is seeing people line streets to support her without asking that she be tried and if found blameless, set free

No one is calling for her resignation but investigation and prosecution if found culpable

This is what Ikuforiji is facing and but Stella may never

10 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by karlmax2: 8:27am On Nov 22, 2013
EFCC dont invite or investigate anybody based on a beer palour media report! They do so with hard facts just like the one they have against one of ur gbajuee progressives. If u have any evidence against any of the fG or pdp members. send a petition with ur evidence to efcc they would investigate. If u think the beer palour media report is enough evidence then u and ur likes will keep making noise on the internet and on the pay as u go media houses we have in nigeria now

13 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by freezy(m): 9:30am On Nov 22, 2013
geeez: If the EFCC can prove beyond any iota of doubt that he is guilty then I support his prosecution

I think he should step aside whilst investigations continue. Not because he is accepting he is wrong but to foster transparency. Here, significant allegations alone make folks resign. If you don't wanna resign, I think it is only fair to step aside when you are under investigation. Vindication or otherwise determines your return to the seat.

The case of DSK comes to mind quickly. Even though the courts found him not guilty a la dismissed charges, he stepped aside for Lagarde due to the weight of the allegations.

My thoughts though.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by talktimi(m): 9:56am On Nov 22, 2013
karl max: EFCC dont invite or investigate anybody based on a beer palour media report! They do so with hard facts just like the one they have against one of ur gbajuee progressives. If u have any evidence against any of the fG or pdp members. send a petition with ur evidence to efcc they would investigate. If u think the beer palour media report is enough evidence then u and ur likes will keep making noise on the internet and on the pay as u go media houses we have in nigeria now
abeg tell the hypocrites somtin jor grin

14 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:20am On Nov 22, 2013
karl max: EFCC dont invite or investigate anybody based on a beer palour media report! They do so with hard facts just like the one they have against one of ur gbajuee progressives. If u have any evidence against any of the fG or pdp members. send a petition with ur evidence to efcc they would investigate. If u think the beer palour media report is enough evidence then u and ur likes will keep making noise on the internet and on the pay as u go media houses we have in nigeria now
pls shut up there!
We all knw EFCC won't investigate whom the feds doesn't want to investigate.
is EFCC independent?

Was diezani investigated even after the indictment by the panel?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by ASL33: 11:29am On Nov 22, 2013
agbameta:

That was basic English...
I wonder why this basic English was not used during Oduah brouhaha.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by karlmax2: 11:32am On Nov 22, 2013
Efcc wont investigate but they investigated bode george, james ibori, fayose, gbenga daniels and other pdp members found wanting which people like some hypocrite above me now call thieves. Like i said if ur sure an FG or pdp member stole money and. U have facts be a responsible citizen and write a petition and send to them and if ur so foolish like the simpleton above who feels allegations on the pages of news paper dont translate to evidence.

I dont quote apc e rat any more on nairaland cos their reasoning ability can be compared to a brainwashed suicide bomber.

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by stfadaanthony(m): 12:17pm On Nov 22, 2013
Rest my case on dis,simply because d most recent of coruption case in Nigeria(Oduah)is gradualy dieing a systemic natural death,same wil dis go,i bet u.
Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by nuclearboy(m): 12:26pm On Nov 22, 2013
talktimi: name ONE person within the APC who has said he should resign his position as speaker at least until after charges against him have been dropped. Pls dont play the ethnic card with me because i dont play that way but the political party aspect stinks to high heavens since the APC has the unique ability to shift the goal post whenever it suits their whims

The man is in court! He is being tried! Investigation has been done with the full acceptance of ALL Nigerians including his own people and after police investigated, the courts are NOW investigating! Let him be found guilty first and see if anyone will say "leave him because he's yoruba"
Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by ba7man(m): 12:33pm On Nov 22, 2013
Kuforiji is a very controversial individual. I believe he should be throughly probed and if found guilty, jailed.

There's another important ACN legislator that used to live close by........That particular one too is a serious suspect.

I expect him to be picked up soon if this case is pursued further.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by agbameta: 12:38pm On Nov 22, 2013
ASL33: I wonder why this basic English was not used during Oduah brouhaha.

Olodo, you mind showing me exactly what I said about your corrupt and incompetent oduah?

Do I even have to recommend what to do to that corrupt public official especially after indicting herself in front of the country and the NASS?

Shebi the Nigerian House of Reps don recommend 3 years jail term for her? What do you have to say about that?

Dumb dullards...

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by taharqa: 12:39pm On Nov 22, 2013
nuclearboy:

The man is in court! He is being tried! Investigation has been done with the full acceptance of ALL Nigerians including his own people and after police investigated, the courts are NOW investigating! Let him be found guilty first and see if anyone will say "leave him because he's yoruba"
HYPOCRITE!!

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by ba7man(m): 12:42pm On Nov 22, 2013
karl max: Efcc wont investigate but they investigated bode george, james ibori, fayose, gbenga daniels and other pdp members found wanting which people like some hypocrite above me now call thieves. Like i said if ur sure an FG or pdp member stole money and. U have facts be a responsible citizen and write a petition and send to them and if ur so foolish like the simpleton above who feels allegations on the pages of news paper dont translate to evidence.

I dont quote apc e rat any more on nairaland cos their reasoning ability can be compared to a brainwashed suicide bomber.
He's in court on trial..........what more do you want??

At least no one is screaming "He's being unfairly prosecuted because he's ACN or Yoruba".

If he's found guilty he should be jailed. Simple.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by DerideGull(m): 12:53pm On Nov 22, 2013
geeez:

We know where you are going

Just tell us why the person you are defending hasn't been invited by this same EFCC?

The bigger idiosyncrasy is seeing people line streets to support her without asking that she be tried and if found blameless, set free

No one is calling for her resignation but investigation and prosecution if found culpable

This is what Ikuforiji is facing and but Stella may never

It is a pity you do not know detailed meaning of corruption. Ikuforiji and co withdrew public fund for personal usage. Stella Oduah was just a minister of aviation who instructed heads of the agencies under her ministry to do right thing when procuring operational vehicles for the ministry. What is so hard you can not discern from the two scenarios?

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by takedat(m): 12:55pm On Nov 22, 2013
I wonder why the state assembly has not passed a vote of no confidence on this thief? Oh I forgot he is Tinubu's boy. Bunch of thieves! How long is it going to take EFCC and the court to send the man to where he belong, Kirikiri Max?

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court by agbameta: 12:59pm On Nov 22, 2013
DerideGull:

It is a pity you do not know detailed meaning of corruption. Ikuforiji and co withdrew public fund for personal usage. Stella Oduah was just a minister of aviation who instructed heads of the agencies under her ministry to do right thing when procuring operational vehicles for the ministry. What is so hard you can not discern from the two scenarios?

You thoughtless and ignorant rubbish means nothing since the House of reps have investigated the matter and found her guilty according to the laws of the land and recommended 3 years jail term for her..

http://www.transparencyng.com/index.php/news-categories/35-corruption/8408-corruption-reps-recommend-3-year-jail-term-for-oduah

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why APC Postponed NASS Inauguration - Vanguard / Anti-Corruption Fight: Top 'Own Goals' Scored By The Buhari Administration -Tori / Jonathan, Africa’s Most Pragmatic Leader –IBB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.