Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,483 members, 7,830,431 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 - Education (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 (202617 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Meaning Of Some Words In Hon. Patrick's Speech On ASUU Strike / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Tunapa9ja: 7:45am On Nov 25, 2013
What my son is here.After all my struggle for A.S.U.U to call off the strike,you dont want to go back to school.Haaaa ur Mummy will hear about this *SMILES*Lolzzz
caseless: God i thank u for this news.
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by chidi2pus(m): 7:46am On Nov 25, 2013
Sorry if ya pay or uncle is among the ASUU association but surely they've had 3 crucial meetings now !

1. Meeting with president

2. Casting vote on strike suspension

3. NEC meeting to deliberate on strike suspension

Why so much meetings ?

These old fools should have made these points during the meeting with the president !!!

Is it just me or are these guys falling in love with the meatpie and fanta they share at such meetings
angry

2 Likes

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Memyselfu2009(m): 7:50am On Nov 25, 2013
ASUU STRIKE Update: Lecturers give FG fresh prerequisites to end STRIKE

REPORT ACCORDING TO PUNCH NEWSPAPER

ASUU President, Faggae

The Academic Staff Union of Universities has said it will not suspend its ongoing strike until the four months salaries owed its members are paid.
The union also wants the immediate implementation of the N1.2tn offer by the Federal Government to public universities, starting with the release of N100bn this year. The balance of N1.1tn is to be spread over five years from 2014.

These were some of the resolutions reached by members of the National Executive Council of the union who converged on Kano on Friday to deliberate on whether to call off the over four- month-old industrial action or not.

A source, who was privy to the resolutions reached during the President Goodluck Jonathan – ASUU leadership meeting three weeks ago, told The PUNCH on Sunday, that the fresh demands were some of the issues to be tabled before Jonathan by the leadership during their next meeting. A date for the meeting is yet to be fixed.

According to the source, a strong commitment to two demands, among other pending issues, must be obtained from the President before the industrial action will be called off by the union.

He said, “The issue now is on trust and we do not want a situation where promises will not be kept. The authorities have failed us in the past and we do not want a repeat of that.

”That was why we decided at the NEC meeting that the government should pay us the arrears of salaries being owed us since we started the strike on July1 before the strike can be called off. The salaries should not be paid piecemeal.

“We also insist that the Federal Government should start the implementation of the offer made to us when we met the President some weeks ago.

“For instance, the N100bn he (Jonathan) agreed to inject into the university system in 2013 should be released to the universities immediately. So, we decided that before the strike could be called off, these two conditions and others must be met not by promises but by real action.”

The NEC members, who met behind closed doors at the Bayero University, Kano, were said to have reviewed the reports of the various university congresses on the strike.

Our source, who did not want his name in print, added that the death of a former National President of ASUU, Prof. Festus Iyayi, was discussed at the NEC meeting.

Iyayi, a University of Benin lecturer, died in an auto accident involving the convoy of the Kogi State Governor, Idris Wada and an ASUU vehicle, on his way to Kano for the meeting.The union’s National Welfare Officer, Dr. Ngozi Ilo, was injured.

Our source said the accident “almost led to the discontinuation of the ongoing negotiation with the Federal Government.

He added, “Some members expressed the belief that he (Iyayi) was killed by the government and therefore argued that the ongoing negotiation should be called off. Tempers rose but some members argued that the President should be respected because he had created the record of being the first Nigerian leader to meet with the leadership of ASUU on the issue of making the nation’s university system better. They also argued that students and parents should be considered.”

It was also learnt that after arguments for and against, about 60 per cent of the members of the NEC voted in favour of the discontinuation of the strike while the remaining 40 per cent voted no.

But it was gathered that the NEC members unanimously agreed that before the strike could be called off, the leadership should ask the government to pay the four-month salary arrears being owed university teachers while the offer made by the government should be implemented immediately.

A key component of the agreement reached by both ASUU and the Federal Government when the President led the government team was that government would inject N1.2tn into public universities.

The government also agreed that the N1.2tn would be domiciled at the Central Bank of Nigeria to show its commitment to the agreement.

The money is expected to be released on quarterly basis to the universities so that there won’t be any problem about implementing the deal.

The National Universities Commission and the Trade Union Congress will be the joint guarantors of the agreement while the Minister of Education will be the implementing officer. The government also agreed to revamp public universities by ensuring that all the issues that always lead to strike were dealt with once and for all.

A majority of the chapters of the union had agreed to the suspension of the strike following the fresh commitment the leadership of ASUU obtained from the government.

ASUU National President, Dr. Nassir Fagge, did not pick the several calls made to his telephone line by one of our correspondents on Sunday to confirm the fresh demands.

The University of Lagos chapter ASUU Chairman, Dr. Karo Ogbinaka, and his counterpart in the Lagos State University, Dr. Adekunle Idris, also refused to divulge information on the outcome of the NEC meeting.

ASUU had embarked on the strike to protest against the failure of the government to implement the agreement they signed in 2009.

The pact largely centered on better funding of the universities, a declaration of a state of emergency in tertiary education, better wages and payment of earned allowances to lecturers.

It had suspended the NEC meeting penultimate week following Iyayi’s death.

Short URL: http://www.osundefender.org/?p=133294
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Nobody: 8:05am On Nov 25, 2013
I cant wait to see the end of this tournament......... ASUU vs FG
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Akinlekanwr(m): 8:12am On Nov 25, 2013
One thing is certain, We shall overcome someday...
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Caseless: 8:16am On Nov 25, 2013
Tunapa9ja: What my son is here.After all my struggle for A.S.U.U to call off the strike,you dont want to go back to school.Haaaa ur Mummy will hear about this *SMILES*Lolzzz
hooo..my God! So u ar here? Struggle no more, i myt resume in january.
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 25, 2013
Fortunately and unfortunately, the strike is not ending soon. Is it that these lecturers never knew that they wouldn't be paid for the months they would spend chilling at home or what? You guys should please do me two favours; give ma a gun and take me the houses of the NEC members. Tenk angry
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by LizyL: 8:17am On Nov 25, 2013
amen
Akinlekanwr: One thing is certain, We shall overcome someday...
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by LizyL: 8:19am On Nov 25, 2013
so ASUU is coming with new demands. I just don't understand these people. I don't want to insult them but I really feel all this is politically motivated. we are the future of this nation and I don't think they get it. may God help Nigeria
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by odizeey(m): 8:24am On Nov 25, 2013
mayorall: Hello house, everyone is anxiuosly waiting for ASUU strike to be called off but what have you done with the free 5 months, don't tell me nothing. Anyway I used mine to learn importation free of charge on this nairaland. You can also become your own boss as a student. You can learn it in a week for free here on naira land. You can show interest. Fynest no ban me o cos everybody they derail and at least I posted something useful.
oya teach ur boy thank u
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by okelarine: 8:26am On Nov 25, 2013
No salary arrears, no resumption ASUU

The Academic Staff Union of Universities has said it will
not suspend its ongoing strike until the four months
salaries owed its members are paid.
The union also wants the immediate implementation of the
N1.2tn offer by the Federal Government to public
universities, starting with the release of N100bn this year.
The balance of N1.1tn is to be spread over five years from
These were some of the resolutions reached by members of
the National Executive Council of the union who converged
on Kano on Friday to deliberate on whether to call off the
over four- month-old industrial action or not.
A source, who was privy to the resolutions reached during
the President Goodluck Jonathan – ASUU leadership
meeting three weeks ago, told The PUNCH on Sunday, that
the fresh demands were some of the issues to be tabled
before Jonathan by the leadership during their next
meeting. A date for the meeting is yet to be fixed.
According to the source, a strong commitment to two
demands, among other pending issues, must be obtained
from the President before the industrial action will be
called off by the union.
He said, “The issue now is on trust and we do not want a
situation where promises will not be kept. The authorities
have failed us in the past and we do not want a repeat of
that.
”That was why we decided at the NEC meeting that the
government should pay us the arrears of salaries being
owed us since we started the strike on July1 before the
strike can be called off. The salaries should not be paid
piecemeal.
“We also insist that the Federal Government should start
the implementation of the offer made to us when we met
the President some weeks ago.
“For instance, the N100bn he (Jonathan) agreed to inject
into the university system in 2013 should be released to the
universities immediately. So, we decided that before the
strike could be called off, these two conditions and others
must be met not by promises but by real action.”
The NEC members, who met behind closed doors at the
Bayero University, Kano, were said to have reviewed the
reports of the various university congresses on the strike.
Our source, who did not want his name in print, added that
the death of a former National President of ASUU, Prof.
Festus Iyayi, was discussed at the NEC meeting.
Iyayi, a University of Benin lecturer, died in an auto
accident involving the convoy of the Kogi State Governor,
Idris Wada and an ASUU vehicle, on his way to Kano for
the meeting.The union’s National Welfare Officer, Dr.
Ngozi Ilo, was injured.
Our source said the accident “almost led to the
discontinuation of the ongoing negotiation with the Federal
Government.
He added, “Some members expressed the belief that he
(Iyayi) was killed by the government and therefore argued
that the ongoing negotiation should be called off. Tempers
rose but some members argued that the President should
be respected because he had created the record of being the
first Nigerian leader to meet with the leadership of ASUU
on the issue of making the nation’s university system
better. They also argued that students and parents should
be considered.”
It was also learnt that after arguments for and against,
about 60 per cent of the members of the NEC voted in
favour of the discontinuation of the strike while the
remaining 40 per cent voted no.
But it was gathered that the NEC members unanimously
agreed that before the strike could be called off, the
leadership should ask the government to pay the four-
month salary arrears being owed university teachers while
the offer made by the government should be implemented
immediately.
A key component of the agreement reached by both ASUU
and the Federal Government when the President led the
government team was that government would inject
N1.2tn into public universities.
The government also agreed that the N1.2tn would be
domiciled at the Central Bank of Nigeria to show its
commitment to the agreement.
The money is expected to be released on quarterly basis to
the universities so that there won’t be any problem about
implementing the deal.
The National Universities Commission and the Trade
Union Congress will be the joint guarantors of the
agreement while the Minister of Education will be the
implementing officer. The government also agreed to
revamp public universities by ensuring that all the issues
that always lead to strike were dealt with once and for all.
A majority of the chapters of the union had agreed to the
suspension of the strike following the fresh commitment
the leadership of ASUU obtained from the government.
ASUU National President, Dr. Nassir Fagge, did not pick
the several calls made to his telephone line by one of our
correspondents on Sunday to confirm the fresh demands.
The University of Lagos chapter ASUU Chairman, Dr. Karo
Ogbinaka, and his counterpart in the Lagos State
University, Dr. Adekunle Idris, also refused to divulge
information on the outcome of the NEC meeting.
ASUU had embarked on the strike to protest against the
failure of the government to implement the agreement they
signed in 2009.
The pact largely centered on better funding of the
universities, a declaration of a state of emergency in
tertiary education, better wages and payment of earned
allowances to lecturers.
It had suspended the NEC meeting penultimate week
following Iyayi’s death.

SOURCE : www.punchng.com/news/no-salary-arrears-no-resumption-ASUU/
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by OmichaelO: 8:28am On Nov 25, 2013
Amando_bolt: u won't understand.....
what's there not to understand? Keep it to yourself then.
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by OmichaelO: 8:29am On Nov 25, 2013
mayorall:

Yup.just go to business section. You will see a 300 pages thread named "do it yourself importation guide free". That's where we reap the benefits of nairaland
thanks.am familiar with the thread. Shalom
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by OmichaelO: 8:34am On Nov 25, 2013
biko,what's up with the repetition of news on this thread.it's jst flooding the whole place
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Thankgodtt(m): 8:39am On Nov 25, 2013
Wot I waz about askin.ooo y the repetition on news na
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by eazyric(m): 8:39am On Nov 25, 2013
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by odizeey(m): 8:43am On Nov 25, 2013
eazyric:
D fools didn't work & dey want 2 get paid,imagine dat. wat about students dat didn't receive lectures during. wat wil d lazy fools(ASUU) do about it? NOTHING. dey deserve 2 bullets each(nec members) let dem keep travellin 4 endless meetings,wen half of dem wil b wiped out,no 1 wil tel dem wat 2 do nxt.
if na me b jona I go chase all of Dem from aso rock
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Torch1(m): 8:45am On Nov 25, 2013
Am fed up. undecided

Gimme a gun.

1 Like

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by eazyric(m): 8:49am On Nov 25, 2013
[z's

1 Like

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by LadyH(f): 8:56am On Nov 25, 2013
This is unbelievable!!! They didnt work yet they want pay?! I seriously cant believe this. Clearly, these men n women have been after their tummies since July 1. No doubt.
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by jodon001: 8:57am On Nov 25, 2013
ebonyi state university calls students back to school. resumes today 25/11/2013
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by alcuin(m): 8:57am On Nov 25, 2013
eazyric:
D fools didn't work & dey want 2 get paid,imagine dat. wat about students dat didn't receive lectures during. wat wil d lazy fools(ASUU) do about it? NOTHING. dey deserve 2 bullets each(nec members) let dem keep travellin 4 endless meetings,wen half of dem wil b wiped out,no 1 wil tel dem wat 2 do nxt.

Exactly my thoughts.

Now, they want salaries for work they did not do. So, what happens to the students that was forcefully removed from school?

I sorry for those people arguing that this whole episode is for the good of the students. I'm sure, their eyes are opening now that ASUU
don't give a mess about the students. If they really want this strike off, they should call it off and forfeit their salaries for the time
they didn't work. But, greed will not allow them.

If FG eventually pays them the salaries, it means the whole price of the strike rests squarely on the students. The students are the
victims here. Their time and plans was used to bargain for ASUU selfishness.

I agree with you. They need two bullets each.
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by killemslim(m): 8:58am On Nov 25, 2013
[quote author=okelarine]No salary arrears, no resumption ASUU
Hw abt 5months wasted house rent forus living off camp...self centered cracks.

2 Likes

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by petcom(m): 9:03am On Nov 25, 2013
Fynestboi: ASUU!!! ASUU!!! ASUU!!! Strike have really turn this education section to rumours lodge, false information carriers has decided to nest their egg on this section, hence to curb this unacceptable and degrading act we moderator of this section has decided to open this thread for ASUU news, therefore all News concerning ASUU strike should be post on here if the news comes out real with well stated source and nt a blog,or any frame up source then it would grace frontpage directly from this thread. Say No to Rumours and False information!!!
ASUU has promised not to call off strike until it is confirmed that Iyayi makes heaven
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by petcom(m): 9:06am On Nov 25, 2013
We won't call off strike until we confirm that Iyayi makes heaven.. ASUU
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by chidi2pus(m): 9:12am On Nov 25, 2013
petcom: We won't call off strike until we confirm that Iyayi makes heaven.. ASUU

Spoken like the real dumb Bleep you are

1 Like

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by chidi2pus(m): 9:13am On Nov 25, 2013
petcom: We won't call off strike until we confirm that Iyayi makes heaven.. ASUU
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by eazyric(m): 9:20am On Nov 25, 2013
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by eazyric(m): 9:31am On Nov 25, 2013
kiss

1 Like

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by tonero92: 9:42am On Nov 25, 2013
According to reports from the Nigerian Eye,
Nigerian university lecturers have agreed to end
the five-month old strike, if the federal
government says yes to three of it conditions.
These conditions will be made known to President
Goodluck Jonathan today and if all parties come
to agreement, the strike will be called off.
ASUU has forbidden its local chapters and zonal
chairman from talking to the media, until the end
of the session. But a source, who was part of the
ASUU session, which was held at Mambayya
House in Kano, revealed the conditions as:
•Commitment from the President that any review
or reconsideration or renegotiation of the 2009
Agreement will not substantially affect the pact
which is the cause of the ongoing strike;
•Immediate payment of all outstanding salary
arrears and allowances of varsity teachers
without victimization; and
•A written commitment from the President that
the Federal Government will commit N225billion
annually to the funding of universities for the next
four years.
There is a fourth condition, which is said to be
“personal” to ASUU.
The source said: “Our leaders are meeting with
the President on Monday to table these
conditions. Once the President accepts these
three terms, the strike will be called off.
“In principle, members voted about 60-40 per cent
to call off the strike, but they added a caveat –
that ASUU leaders should extract a commitment
(signed and sealed) from the President.”
It became imperative for ASUU to makes these
demands, as it became obvious that the FG
wanted the 2009 Agreement to be renegotiated.
“If ASUU had accepted to renegotiate the entire
Agreement , it means there will be no basis for
the ongoing strike. The worst that can happen is
either having the abridged version of the 2009
Agreement or a phased implementation of the
document,” the source added.

http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/11/25/ASUU-agrees-suspend-strike-states-three-conditions/
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by mashnino(m): 9:43am On Nov 25, 2013
why is it that thses useless guys(ASUU) do things like they have no sense

so they stayed home for 5 months and they are expecting salary..

then the students that stayed home for 5 months shoul expect what?

an academic session in 4 months with no holiday?

all in the name of closing up the calender...

may GOD pay them with what is equal to the pain they ve caused to both parents and students

and the restless nights they will cause for us students...

and then the useless idiots will come to class and insult us for no reason..

while they are the ones teaching us...

So now the strike won't be called off anytime soon then..?

wait i don't understand... so what are they gonna use the 100billion naira for?

to buy cars for themselves bah cos i am sure there is nothing left in this year again...

they think they are the only ones in this country bah...?
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Hayormeah(f): 9:44am On Nov 25, 2013
In Nigeria,if any sector goes on strike,they wil stl receive their salaries afta d strike.If u al cld rememba,wen GEJ stopped payin their salaries mnths bk.The lectures said:He was keepin their salaries 4 them cos they knw he wld stll pay them.

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (109) (Reply)

Kogi State University, Anyigba 2012/2013, Admission Update / Nnamdi Azikiwe University Unizik 2015 - 2016 Final And Last Admission List / Unilorin Admission 2010/2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.