Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,204 members, 7,836,001 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 - Education (92) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 (202683 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Meaning Of Some Words In Hon. Patrick's Speech On ASUU Strike / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) ... (109) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Fynestboi: 6:42pm On Dec 10, 2013
Sermwell: what do you mean by already existing thread? Was I not the first to post that thread? How come you didn't close those thread that came after mine since my thread was already existing? Or am I also wrong on this?
The one i direct ur thread to was this and not this ASUU strike thread and the one i directed your thread to was opened at 6:08 while yours was at 6:46pm, so which is the first?

Hence you supporting the fact that i locked your thread for this thread is false, i only locked two thread...
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by falconey(m): 6:48pm On Dec 10, 2013
Sarmwell Thumb up for you!.............I am the 1st person to open a thread this morning on jamb cancelling 2nd choice in UTME......and lot of nairalanders are commenting ,the next tin I see mr finestboi don close am......and other people open dre"s and is still existing till now......and i even check the jamb thread he opened for jamb news ......I can't find my news!
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by falconey(m): 6:51pm On Dec 10, 2013
Mr finestboi am not gonna reply your insult ....my point is this thread is full......and 85percent of d comments are insults and boosting on schools.

Give other threads chance ,if dre news is false close it.
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Fynestboi: 6:58pm On Dec 10, 2013
falconey: Sarmwell Thumb up for you!.............I am the 1st person to open a thread this morning on jamb cancelling 2nd choice in UTME......and lot of nairalanders are commenting ,the next tin I see mr finestboi don close am......and other people open dre"s and is still existing till now......and i even check the jamb thread he opened for jamb news ......I can't find my news!
can i have the link let me rectify that.
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Fynestboi: 7:02pm On Dec 10, 2013
falconey: Mr finestboi am not gonna reply your insult ....my point is this thread is full...
Give other threads chance ,if dre news is false close it.
and did i insult you If i did no vexcheesycheesycheesy, oya come and take chill lacasera with gala cheesycheesycheesycheesy
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Sodiq33(m): 7:09pm On Dec 10, 2013
Fynestboi: and did i insult you If i did no vexcheesycheesycheesy, oya come and take chill lacasera with gala cheesycheesycheesycheesy
guy,wetin i do wey una ban me from posting 2day nw?
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Sodiq33(m): 7:09pm On Dec 10, 2013
CBN CONFIRMS FG’S CLAIM ON 200 BILLION
NAIRA UNIVERSITIES INFRASTRUCTURE FUNDS
AS PRESIDENCY AGAIN CALLS ON ASUU TO
END STRIKE
The Central Bank of Nigeria has confirmed that
a sum of two hundred billion Naira agreed with
the Academic Staff Union of Universities at a
meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan on
the 5th of November, 2013 has been fully paid
into a Revitalization of Universities
Infrastructure Account.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on
Public Affairs, Dr Doyin Okupe made the CBN
letter available to newsmen today in Abuja.
In the letter signed by the Deputy Governor of
the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mr Tunde Lemo and
addressed to the Accountant General of the
Federation, the apex bank confirmed that the
total sum of two hundred billion Naira is the
balance in the account as required.
The Letter titled CONFIRMATION OF THE
EXCECUTION OF YOUR MANDATE FOR THE
CREDIT OF ACCOUNT ON REVITALISATION OF
UNIVERSITIES INFRASTRUCTURE ACCOUNT
indicate that the sum was paid in three
tranches of 129,300,000,000,00k;
20,700,000,000,00k and 50,000,000,000,00k
into the account as directed.
While reiterating that the President is fully
committed to the implementation of agreements
reached with ASUU, Okupe said a Needs
Assessment Implementation Committee which
has representatives of ASUU on board will be
inaugurated tomorrow in order to fast track the
utilization of the released funds and tackle
infrastructural deficiency in the University
system.
According to the Presidential aide, Government
has received a number of representations from
eminent Nigerians and stakeholders on the need
to temper justice with mercy regarding the
ultimatum issued to the striking lecturers to
resume work or face stiff sanctions.
In the words of Okupe “ Government appreciates
the fact that a number of Universities have
either resumed academic activities or
announced resumption dates in line with the
directives earlier issued by the Committee of
Pro Chancellors.
We appreciate the fact that many chapters of
ASUU have resumed work and many more will
follow suit shortly. Government is only desirous
of normalcy in the educational sector in view of
the importance of this sector to the society.
Now that evidence has been provided as to the
availability of the sum of two hundred billion
Naira for immediate disbursement to
Universities, we expect that ASUU will call off
this strike so that normalcy will fully return to
our campuses. This is the only honorable path
for our distinguished academics in the present
instance.”
He added that Government does not intend to
victimize anyone who participates in a
legitimate strike action in view of the fact that
Nigeria is a signatory to the International
Labour Organisation convention which
guarantees workers’ rights to strikes convened
in line with due processes.
Dr Doyin Okupe
Senior Special Assistant to the President on
Public Affairs
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Fynestboi: 7:20pm On Dec 10, 2013
Sodiq33:
guy,wetin i do wey una ban me from posting 2day nw?
sorry not me i guess it was antispambot..
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by ik4life: 7:32pm On Dec 10, 2013
Sodiq33: CBN CONFIRMS FG’S CLAIM ON 200 BILLION
NAIRA UNIVERSITIES INFRASTRUCTURE FUNDS
AS PRESIDENCY AGAIN CALLS ON ASUU TO
END STRIKE
The Central Bank of Nigeria has confirmed that
a sum of two hundred billion Naira agreed with
the Academic Staff Union of Universities at a
meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan on
the 5th of November, 2013 has been fully paid
into a Revitalization of Universities
Infrastructure Account.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on
Public Affairs, Dr Doyin Okupe made the CBN
letter available to newsmen today in Abuja.
In the letter signed by the Deputy Governor of
the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mr Tunde Lemo and
addressed to the Accountant General of the
Federation, the apex bank confirmed that the
total sum of two hundred billion Naira is the
balance in the account as required.
The Letter titled CONFIRMATION OF THE
EXCECUTION OF YOUR MANDATE FOR THE
CREDIT OF ACCOUNT ON REVITALISATION OF
UNIVERSITIES INFRASTRUCTURE ACCOUNT
indicate that the sum was paid in three
tranches of 129,300,000,000,00k;
20,700,000,000,00k and 50,000,000,000,00k
into the account as directed.
While reiterating that the President is fully
committed to the implementation of agreements
reached with ASUU, Okupe said a Needs
Assessment Implementation Committee which
has representatives of ASUU on board will be
inaugurated tomorrow in order to fast track the
utilization of the released funds and tackle
infrastructural deficiency in the University
system.
According to the Presidential aide, Government
has received a number of representations from
eminent Nigerians and stakeholders on the need
to temper justice with mercy regarding the
ultimatum issued to the striking lecturers to
resume work or face stiff sanctions.
In the words of Okupe “ Government appreciates
the fact that a number of Universities have
either resumed academic activities or
announced resumption dates in line with the
directives earlier issued by the Committee of
Pro Chancellors.
We appreciate the fact that many chapters of
ASUU have resumed work and many more will
follow suit shortly. Government is only desirous
of normalcy in the educational sector in view of
the importance of this sector to the society.
Now that evidence has been provided as to the
availability of the sum of two hundred billion
Naira for immediate disbursement to
Universities, we expect that ASUU will call off
this strike so that normalcy will fully return to
our campuses. This is the only honorable path
for our distinguished academics in the present
instance.”
He added that Government does not intend to
victimize anyone who participates in a
legitimate strike action in view of the fact that
Nigeria is a signatory to the International
Labour Organisation convention which
guarantees workers’ rights to strikes convened
in line with due processes.
Dr Doyin Okupe
Senior Special Assistant to the President on
Public Affairs
that is a welcome development,okupe tell your oga to asked a minister to sign the black and white paper called agreement so that students will go back to school me inclusive
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Sermwell(m): 7:33pm On Dec 10, 2013
Fynestboi: and did i insult you If i did no vexcheesycheesycheesy, oya come and take chill lacasera with gala cheesycheesycheesycheesy
and you are still mocking the guy! Na wa 4 u sef
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Kiingsolomon(f): 7:55pm On Dec 10, 2013
Sermwell: and you are still mocking the guy! Na wa 4 u sef
man! Ur prob is too much sef.... undecided . Hw did he mock anyone there?, ..
..cant u see he was even trying to placate d guy's fury?,not insulting him. Okay?
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by pembisco(m): 8:24pm On Dec 10, 2013
I jst watched on t.v dt ASUU declaired 3 day fasting nd prayer on dis strike issue. Pls wat do they mean?
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by emmanugo: 8:34pm On Dec 10, 2013
pembisco: I jst watched on t.v dt ASUU declaired 3 day fasting nd prayer on dis strike issue. Pls wat do they mean?
it means dat dey are askin God to prepare dem for d worse...wich means dat dey might stay anoda 6 month of strik
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Fynestboi: 9:24pm On Dec 10, 2013
ABUJA – THE Federal Government , Tuesday, said it was withdrawing the ultimatum given to striking university lecturers to resume or be sacked following appeals from well-meaning Nigerians and substantial compliance with the directive by some members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities.

According to the Federal Government, the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN has confirmed that a sum of two hundred billion Naira agreed with ASUU at a meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan on the 5th of November ,2013 has been fully paid into a Revitalization of Universities Infrastructure Account.

Addressing Journalists, the Senior Special Assistant (SSA) to the President on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe who showed to newsmen the CBN letter which was signed by the Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mr Tunde Lemo and addressed to the Accountant General of the Federation, confirmed that the total sum of two hundred billion Naira was the balance in the account as required.

Okupe who noted that what the federal government was interested in was how to resolve the six month old crisis in a peaceful manner for the overall interest of all concerned, said, “right now, the issue of ultimatum is not a matter for discussion anymore. There has been substantial compliance nationwide. If I say you must return to work on the 9th and 70% of the people that I am talking to have returned to work, that is substantial compliance.
SOURCE
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by sammiy: 9:57pm On Dec 10, 2013
this govt is clueless! Yet again i regreat casting my vote 4dis otueke fisher man! Why didnt he make proper analysis of possibilities b4 issueing an ultimatum only 2chicken out mid way!
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Ashleyma77(m): 10:51pm On Dec 10, 2013
nawa o.must u guys fight all d tym?.
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by ennon92(m): 10:52pm On Dec 10, 2013
Fynestboi: ABUJA – THE Federal Government , Tuesday, said it was withdrawing the ultimatum given to striking university lecturers to resume or be sacked following appeals from well-meaning Nigerians and substantial compliance with the directive by some members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities.

According to the Federal Government, the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN has confirmed that a sum of two hundred billion Naira agreed with ASUU at a meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan on the 5th of November ,2013 has been fully paid into a Revitalization of Universities Infrastructure Account.

Addressing Journalists, the Senior Special Assistant (SSA) to the President on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe who showed to newsmen the CBN letter which was signed by the Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mr Tunde Lemo and addressed to the Accountant General of the Federation, confirmed that the total sum of two hundred billion Naira was the balance in the account as required.

Okupe who noted that what the federal government was interested in was how to resolve the six month old crisis in a peaceful manner for the overall interest of all concerned, said, “right now, the issue of ultimatum is not a matter for discussion anymore. There has been substantial compliance nationwide. If I say you must return to work on the 9th and 70% of the people that I am talking to have returned to work, that is substantial compliance.
SOURCE
toothless bulldog dat can only bark but can't bite
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Fynestboi: 11:00pm On Dec 10, 2013
Gov. Elechi Urges National Assembly to Proscribe ASUU

Gov. Martin Elechi of Ebonyi on Tuesday urged the National Assembly to immediately proscribe the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) for ``sabotaging the nation’s education sector’’.
The governor made the call in Abakaliki during an interactive session with journalists.
Elechi blamed the National Assembly for failing to proscribe the union in the past.
``I blame the National Assembly for not proscribing ASUU; that union is due for proscription.
``The way they are going about the strike is sabotage,’’ he said.
Elechi said that the union was deliberately sabotaging the government and country with incessant strikes.
Describing the current situation in the university sector as unfortunate, the governor stressed that the strike could also have dire consequences on the security of the country.
``The ASUU strike is unfortunate; I hope that common sense will prevail.
``If you say a lot is lacking in the university sector, you are correct; but it is like that in almost all other sectors of the country.
``The major victims of the strike are not government but the students. When you go on strike, you have to be reasonable so that you do not destroy everything,’’ he said.
Elechi reiterated that the way ASUU had been going about the strike amounted to sabotage.
On the disengagement of Ebonyi indigenes from Abia State Civil Service, the governor said that his administration was not obliged to absorb the affected workers into Ebonyi State Civil Service.
``What is necessary for the state to do is to ensure that their retirement benefits are duly paid,” he said.
It would be recalled that over 80 indigenes of Ebonyi were compulsorily retired from Abia State Civil Service in 2010. (NAN)

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/gov-elechi-urges-national-assembly-to-proscribe-ASUU/166321/
this day news
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by falconey(m): 11:07pm On Dec 10, 2013
Even if am drunk I won't vote for JOKENATHAN.

1 Like

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Fynestboi: 11:13pm On Dec 10, 2013
falconey: Even if am drunk I won't vote for JOKENATHAN.
why
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by odizeey(m): 11:25pm On Dec 10, 2013
Support d winning team.
#teamasuu
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by falconey(m): 12:31am On Dec 11, 2013
JOKENATHAN GOVERNMENT IS WORST........1st he increased fuel price with no development in the country he just made the standard of living hard.....now we have the longest strike in history of the country if not the world............a senator loot a day can meet ASUU demands.....still he kept us at home for 5months.now he is trying to reason with ASUU,LOLS election is close....he would have don dat 1st month of the strike,no he Is busy preparing for 2015 election.....GOD HELP US STUDENTS.

I forget to mention BOKO ARAM.......60percent of naija are scared of the name BOKO ARAM........people are afraid to study in the north...still the western and eastern schools are overpopulated even some are introducing new courses. Thankz to jona
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by emmanugo: 1:38am On Dec 11, 2013
falconey: JOKENATHAN GOVERNMENT IS WORST........1st he increased fuel price with no development in the country he just made the standard of living hard.....now we have the longest strike in history of the country if not the world............a senator loot a day can meet ASUU demands.....still he kept us at home for 5months.now he is trying to reason with ASUU,LOLS election is close....he would have don dat 1st month of the strike,no he Is busy preparing for 2015 election.....GOD HELP US STUDENTS.

I forget to mention BOKO ARAM.......60percent of naija are scared of the name BOKO ARAM........people are afraid to study in the north...still the western and eastern schools are overpopulated even some are introducing new courses. Thankz to jona
hmmm...i smel APC

2 Likes

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Fynestboi: 7:30am On Dec 11, 2013
The federal government may have reviewed its controversial posture concerning the resume-or-be-sacked order given to striking university teachers, as the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has been nudged to confirm the payment the government made for the lecturers.
The CBN, it was learnt, has thus directed the Accountant General of the Federation to show details of the payment of the N200 billion as demanded by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
The varsity teachers are institing on evidence of the payment of the said sum, as such claims in the past had turned out to be empty.
Also today, the National Universities Commission (NUC) will meet with universities vice- chancellors, members of the National Economic Empowerment Development Strategy (NEEDS) Assessment and Implementation Committee to discuss modalities for the disbursement of the N200billion to the universities.
Addressing journalists Tuesday, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe, showed a copy of the letter by the Deputy Governor (Operations) of the CBN Tunde Lemo, confirming that an account with number 00200*** 522 on Revitalisation of Universities Infrastructure had been opened.
According to him, “the CBN in a letter dated December 10, 2013 with reference GVD/DGO/GEN/MPA/05/151 to the Accountant General of the Federation” confirmed that an account had been opened.
The letter titled “Confirmation of the execution of your mandate for the credit of account number 00200***522, Revitalisation of Universities Infrastructure Account”, read thus: “I write to confirm the execution of the following mandates by the Central Bank of Nigeria for funding of the above mentioned account as follows
Mandate FD/P2013/40/1/30DF N129,300,000,000; Mandate FD/FA/124/VolXII/DF N20,700,000,000; Mandate FD/LP2013/40/1/DF N50,000,000,000.
"I wish to further confirm that the available balance in the aforementioned account is N200, 000,000,000 (two hundred billion naira only).
"Please accept the assurances of my best regards. Signed Tunde Lemo (Deputy Governor (Operation)."
The letter was addressed to Mr. J.O. Otunia, in the office of the Accountant General of the Federation.
Okupe said the federal government decided to make the letter public because the ASUU President, Dr. Nasiru Fagge, said “if there is evidence that theN200 billion has been paid that ASUU would call off the strike and immediately return to classes. So, this is evidence that the account has been opened at the CBN and the sum of N200 billion paid as part agreement between the federal government and ASUU.
“The federal government is making everything public because of the level of cynicism in the country is so embarrassing, but it is also clear that the federal government has no integrity issue”, Okupe said, while explaining that government have soft pedaled with the ultimatum because there is also over 70 per cent substantial compliance with the order.
He cited University of Lagos, Department of Law, where he said out of 100 lecturers, that 70 lecturers have signed the attendance register. This, he said, “is substantial compliance with the directive and the ultimatum”.
“On the 13th of November 2013, the office of the Accountant General of the Federation authorised the banking and payment system department of the Central Bank of Nigeria via a letter with reference number FD/OAGF/220/ADC/1/4DF to open a “revitalisation of Universities Infrastructural Account” with the CBN.
On November 29, 2013, the CBN confirmed in a letter reference BPSD/BSD/CON Vol 17/088 to the Accountant General of the Federation that the said account had been opened and an account number was given.
“Prior to all these, the Director of Funds in the office of the Accountant General of the Federation MK DIKWA, through a letter reference FD/LP2008/37/C/I/DF dated 8th of November communicated with the Executive Secretary of the Nigeria Universities Commission requesting for the list of Federal Universities in Nigeria for the purpose of opening a Special Account for them”.
Okupe further said: “On the 12th November, 2013, the NUC through the office of the Executive Secretary, Prof. Julius Okojie, in a letter reference NUC/ES/444/VOL15/280 responded to the request and gave the list of the universities with their various account numbers domiciled with the CBN. Following this, the Accountant General has communicated with the Executive Secretary requesting for the details of amount payable to each of the listed universities which is currently being processed by the NUC.
“I state categorically that I have personally seen the balance in the account as of today and confirm that it contains the requisite amount and disbursement will commence as soon as ongoing administrative processes are sorted out.
“Finally, given due considerations to the four items mentioned by ASUU as preconditions to their calling off the strike, we state categorically that none of them remains substantially pending or weighty enough to justify the continuation of the strike. Therefore, there are no further legitimate reasons for the strike by university teachers to continue a day longer. We therefore call on Dr Nasir Fagge, his distinguished colleagues in the ASUU leadership as well as other patriotic members of their union to put all else aside and call off this strike in the interest of our young men and women who have been kept out of school for five months and who have no recourse to any form of compensation whatsoever."
And in what looks like a search for rapproachment, in tackling the protracted stalemate, the Supervising Minster of Education, Chief Nyesom Wike, is set to meet with pro-chancellors of federal universities.
The meeting, which would hold in Abuja today, is expected to determine the next step of action against the lecturers in federal universities, who have refused to resume work.
The federal government had given last Monday as deadline for the striking lecturers to resume duties or face mass sack.
Wike had also directed that positions of lecturers, who failed to resume be declared vacant and advertised for.
This is as the government insisted there was massive resumption by lecturers across several schools in the country.
The Special Assistant on Media to the Education Minister, Mr. Simeon Nwakaudu, said many lecturers have resumed work and have even commenced lectures.
He explained that Unilag had formally announced that lectures would commence fully on January 14, 2014.
"You are aware that the University of Benin, they tried to attack those who started work, but that did not deter others anyway. At UniAbuja, over 250 lecturers resumed, and some lectures have started" he added.
But in the University of Ibadan, the ASUU members declared two days fasting and prayer.
The decision to adopt a spiritual approach came during the congress held at the Faculty of Arts.
The congress which was presided over by the Chairman, Dr. Olusegun Ajiboye, stressed the need for God to visit the Nigerian leadership to do the needful and document the resolutions of their meeting with the president.
Speaking after the Congress, Ajiboye said the union did not need newspaper confirmation from the president that N200billion had been deposited with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Fynestboi: 7:30am On Dec 11, 2013
The federal government may have reviewed its controversial posture concerning the resume-or-be-sacked order given to striking university teachers, as the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has been nudged to confirm the payment the government made for the lecturers.
The CBN, it was learnt, has thus directed the Accountant General of the Federation to show details of the payment of the N200 billion as demanded by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
The varsity teachers are institing on evidence of the payment of the said sum, as such claims in the past had turned out to be empty.
Also today, the National Universities Commission (NUC) will meet with universities vice- chancellors, members of the National Economic Empowerment Development Strategy (NEEDS) Assessment and Implementation Committee to discuss modalities for the disbursement of the N200billion to the universities.
Addressing journalists Tuesday, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe, showed a copy of the letter by the Deputy Governor (Operations) of the CBN Tunde Lemo, confirming that an account with number 00200*** 522 on Revitalisation of Universities Infrastructure had been opened.
According to him, “the CBN in a letter dated December 10, 2013 with reference GVD/DGO/GEN/MPA/05/151 to the Accountant General of the Federation” confirmed that an account had been opened.
The letter titled “Confirmation of the execution of your mandate for the credit of account number 00200***522, Revitalisation of Universities Infrastructure Account”, read thus: “I write to confirm the execution of the following mandates by the Central Bank of Nigeria for funding of the above mentioned account as follows
Mandate FD/P2013/40/1/30DF N129,300,000,000; Mandate FD/FA/124/VolXII/DF N20,700,000,000; Mandate FD/LP2013/40/1/DF N50,000,000,000.
"I wish to further confirm that the available balance in the aforementioned account is N200, 000,000,000 (two hundred billion naira only).
"Please accept the assurances of my best regards. Signed Tunde Lemo (Deputy Governor (Operation)."
The letter was addressed to Mr. J.O. Otunia, in the office of the Accountant General of the Federation.
Okupe said the federal government decided to make the letter public because the ASUU President, Dr. Nasiru Fagge, said “if there is evidence that theN200 billion has been paid that ASUU would call off the strike and immediately return to classes. So, this is evidence that the account has been opened at the CBN and the sum of N200 billion paid as part agreement between the federal government and ASUU.
“The federal government is making everything public because of the level of cynicism in the country is so embarrassing, but it is also clear that the federal government has no integrity issue”, Okupe said, while explaining that government have soft pedaled with the ultimatum because there is also over 70 per cent substantial compliance with the order.
He cited University of Lagos, Department of Law, where he said out of 100 lecturers, that 70 lecturers have signed the attendance register. This, he said, “is substantial compliance with the directive and the ultimatum”.
“On the 13th of November 2013, the office of the Accountant General of the Federation authorised the banking and payment system department of the Central Bank of Nigeria via a letter with reference number FD/OAGF/220/ADC/1/4DF to open a “revitalisation of Universities Infrastructural Account” with the CBN.
On November 29, 2013, the CBN confirmed in a letter reference BPSD/BSD/CON Vol 17/088 to the Accountant General of the Federation that the said account had been opened and an account number was given.
“Prior to all these, the Director of Funds in the office of the Accountant General of the Federation MK DIKWA, through a letter reference FD/LP2008/37/C/I/DF dated 8th of November communicated with the Executive Secretary of the Nigeria Universities Commission requesting for the list of Federal Universities in Nigeria for the purpose of opening a Special Account for them”.
Okupe further said: “On the 12th November, 2013, the NUC through the office of the Executive Secretary, Prof. Julius Okojie, in a letter reference NUC/ES/444/VOL15/280 responded to the request and gave the list of the universities with their various account numbers domiciled with the CBN. Following this, the Accountant General has communicated with the Executive Secretary requesting for the details of amount payable to each of the listed universities which is currently being processed by the NUC.
“I state categorically that I have personally seen the balance in the account as of today and confirm that it contains the requisite amount and disbursement will commence as soon as ongoing administrative processes are sorted out.
“Finally, given due considerations to the four items mentioned by ASUU as preconditions to their calling off the strike, we state categorically that none of them remains substantially pending or weighty enough to justify the continuation of the strike. Therefore, there are no further legitimate reasons for the strike by university teachers to continue a day longer. We therefore call on Dr Nasir Fagge, his distinguished colleagues in the ASUU leadership as well as other patriotic members of their union to put all else aside and call off this strike in the interest of our young men and women who have been kept out of school for five months and who have no recourse to any form of compensation whatsoever."
And in what looks like a search for rapproachment, in tackling the protracted stalemate, the Supervising Minster of Education, Chief Nyesom Wike, is set to meet with pro-chancellors of federal universities.
The meeting, which would hold in Abuja today, is expected to determine the next step of action against the lecturers in federal universities, who have refused to resume work.
The federal government had given last Monday as deadline for the striking lecturers to resume duties or face mass sack.
Wike had also directed that positions of lecturers, who failed to resume be declared vacant and advertised for.
This is as the government insisted there was massive resumption by lecturers across several schools in the country.
The Special Assistant on Media to the Education Minister, Mr. Simeon Nwakaudu, said many lecturers have resumed work and have even commenced lectures.
He explained that Unilag had formally announced that lectures would commence fully on January 14, 2014.
"You are aware that the University of Benin, they tried to attack those who started work, but that did not deter others anyway. At UniAbuja, over 250 lecturers resumed, and some lectures have started" he added.
But in the University of Ibadan, the ASUU members declared two days fasting and prayer.
The decision to adopt a spiritual approach came during the congress held at the Faculty of Arts.
The congress which was presided over by the Chairman, Dr. Olusegun Ajiboye, stressed the need for God to visit the Nigerian leadership to do the needful and document the resolutions of their meeting with the president.
Speaking after the Congress, Ajiboye said the union did not need newspaper confirmation from the president that N200billion had been deposited with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by Harrisonn(m): 7:43am On Dec 11, 2013
falconey: Even if am drunk I won't vote for JOKENATHAN.

we dont need ur vote to win bro.. did you even vote last time?? undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: All ASUU Strike News::1st July-16th December 2013 by falconey(m): 8:12am On Dec 11, 2013
Harrison look at you that voted.......we are suffering for it(5months).am not into politics,my point is if a government made sit at home for 5months and the same government is asking me to vote for her second term. BIG LOLS

(1) (2) (3) ... (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) ... (109) (Reply)

Kogi State University, Anyigba 2012/2013, Admission Update / Nnamdi Azikiwe University Unizik 2015 - 2016 Final And Last Admission List / Unilorin Admission 2010/2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.