Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,681 members, 7,955,521 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:10 AM

His Mckinsey Interview - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / His Mckinsey Interview (25260 Views)

Phds At Mckinsey (or other Consultancies) in Nigeria? / Mckinsey 2014 - 2015 Applications / Mckinsey First Round Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

His Mckinsey Interview by Jarus(m): 7:32am On Nov 22, 2013
This is an interview experience that I think can be beneficial

By David Apaflo
http://www.jarushub.com/ysr-my-mckinsey-interview-i/

At some point in my life, my dream was to work at Mckinsey & Company, the world’s number one consulting firm. Fair enough, I got a chance after passing the infamous Problem Solving Test (PST).

For those who think GMAT is tough, try some PSTs. Anyway as is typical with Mckinsey, there are about 4-6 interviews comprising personal experience questions and case study interviews before clinching an offer.

I have decided to share the transcript of my first interview in the process. Hope this makes a good read for those aiming to get into the consulting field.

I was scheduled for 2 interviews – 8am and 9am and I arrived and took my seat in the neat but tiny reception on the 6th Floor Mulliner Towers Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria

I was interviewed by a guy named Fred.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Jarus(m): 7:33am On Nov 22, 2013
PERSONAL EXPERIENCE QUESTION:

Fred: So tell me of a time you managed upwards. Where you had to convince a superior to accept your point of view and what was the process like?

…I went on to rant on and on as I had come prepared for this one

CASE:

Fred: XYZ is airline operator and is currently having problems with their costs. Could you please tell me the items that drive the cost for an airline operator?

Me: Well broadly, costs can be of two types: Variable and Fixed. For Variable we have – Fuelling Costs for Fixed, we have – maintenance, Staff overhead, licencing & regulatory fees.

Fred: One of our consultants took up research into the cost lines and discovered that fuelling expenditure was excessive. Tell me the factors that drive fuelling cost

Me: Size of engine, distance travelled, number of trips

Fred: Well, our consultant’s analysis showed that none of these factors you mentioned was actually responsible for the excessive fuelling cost. Infact, he concluded that it was the weight of the plane. So tell me the factors that affect the weight of a plane.

Me: These can be categorized into 2: Internal elements and external elements. For the internal, we have the fittings, furniture, luggage, fuel level for the external factors, we have the metal used in constructing the airplane, the engine, the tires, the blades etc

Fred: Our consultant in his analysis, found out that none of these factors you mentioned was responsible for the excessive fuelling cost. It infact was the PAINT ON THE PLANE!!!

Me: Oh, interesting

2 Likes

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Jarus(m): 7:33am On Nov 22, 2013
Fred: So tell me what weight is added on by the paint on the plane?

Me: Do I have any figures?

Fred: No!

Me: Wow!

Me: Ok, let’s assume this room in which we are seated in 10m long and 5m wide and so let’s assume the length of the plane is 10 times that of this room that gives us 10 X 10 = 100m and since the width is constant, we still have 5m

Fred: Ok, good. Assuming the plane is cylindrical and Using 2π〖rh〗^ as surface area assume pie to be 3 what weight is added on?

Me: That should be 2 X 3 X 5 X 100 that should give 300msq

Fred: So what weight is added on?

Me: Let’s also assume that 2 sq metre would need 1 bucket of paint weighing 1kg that should be 1kg X 300sq metre divided by 2 dt shd give 150kg

Fred: Have you considered that there might be more than one coat of paint required?

Me: Ok, let me modify my assumptions to say there are 3 coats of paint required:
■· Light paint adds 0.1kg per sqm
■· Medium coat adds 0.5kg per sqm
■· Quality finish adds 1kg per sqm
■· So a total of 1.6kg per sqm

Fred: Round that up to 1.5kg and tell me what you have

Me: Ok, 1.5kg X 150 sqm = 225 kg of weight added on by the paint

3 Likes

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Jarus(m): 7:34am On Nov 22, 2013
Fred: Ok, cool! The company spent $250m last year on fuelling and after the analysis, the COO has asked that all the airplanes be striped of paint. First tell me why planes are painted.

Me: For branding, to prevent the metal from corrosion at such high altitudes, to comply with regulations

Fred: So would you advise the company to go ahead as the COO has advised?

Me: We would need to speak with the paint manufacturers to see if some light weight paint can be produced since the company currently spends about $1m per kg of paint ($250m divided by 225kg) and maybe if the weight can be slashed by say 50% we would see significant drop in fuelling costs.

Fred: Ok, that’s the end of the case. Thank you for your time.

Walking to the elevator, the interview continues with a tricky question! “What other firms are you in contact with?” As I had come prepared for that question, I answered naming companies in similar business line and with strong brand names.

Anyway, that is the first part of my Mckinsey Story. Watch out for the second part in a forthnight.

Cheers!

DA

4 Likes

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Coldfaya(m): 7:48am On Nov 22, 2013
#faints. Waht kinda interview is dis again. Shuooo
Serious thing.

9 Likes

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by abdulslutsky(m): 7:51am On Nov 22, 2013
Wow! This is cool and eye opening

All I am saying "give us some more"

1 Like

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by bzeey(m): 8:16am On Nov 22, 2013
i can't wait for d second part... concerning the problem solving questions, how were they? Also, were u expecting those questions before d interview? Again, how were u able to prepare for d interview? so also, concerning d application form i.e the unique skillsetc how were u able to get through with the processes??

1 Like

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by horlajide: 11:04am On Nov 22, 2013
I pray thee let me have some morecry
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by BIGERBOY1: 11:05am On Nov 22, 2013
menh dats some end to end question and answer session. the guy even tried to have passed the PST, dat thing is seemingly 'unpassable'

i think these interviews are designed not necessarily to get the precise answers out of you, but to see mechanics behind your reasonining, and d ability to find FIND solutions and not GETTING them per say.

immagine being asked by an interviewer "how many golf balls will it take to fill this room" whats your answer....

6 Likes

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by DisGuy: 11:39am On Nov 22, 2013
read this on nairaland some a year or so ago...

very interesting, no be moin moin, no room to cram answer like other interviews

2 Likes

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Jarus(m): 12:08pm On Nov 22, 2013
The interview na die. You need to be fast-thinking and mentally alert. I salute David.
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by esere826: 12:37pm On Nov 22, 2013
Great response from the interviewee
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Mustay(m): 1:09pm On Nov 22, 2013
Dis Guy: read this on nairaland some a year or so ago...

Read it on the Careers section too some years back. Which one consain agbero wit ovaload If possible, na strategy wey Moyes go fit match into SAF shoes the discussion fit turn into. However, this is more of testing the candidate's 'thought process(es)' than a preset outcome/answer - intuitive template it is.
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by jaybee3(m): 4:47pm On Nov 22, 2013
The key thing here is the thought process not necessarily the answers you give.

This is the norm with engineering job interviews over here.

You have to be a logical thinker. It's as simple as that

Once had an interview at a nuclear power plant back in 2005 in the UK. They asked me questions on how i would have dealt with the scenario currently playing out at fukushima

1 Like

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by haibe(m): 4:48pm On Nov 22, 2013
Wow...that interviewee is smart oo
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by 9jahubcom(m): 4:59pm On Nov 22, 2013
kk
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by rman: 5:05pm On Nov 22, 2013
I love this!

Logical reasoning at its best.
Can't wait to see the remaining part
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Nobody: 5:12pm On Nov 22, 2013
Fred: our client said the problem is from the painting.
Me: tor let them go and buy a new paint na, or better still get a fvking new plane.

20 Likes

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by achigogoggle(m): 5:20pm On Nov 22, 2013
I wish topics as enlightening as this could be flooding this Front Page more often than those of them that brew e-tribal wars..Kudos to OP and please "We need some more".

5 Likes

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by tunapa2009(m): 5:34pm On Nov 22, 2013
BIGER BOY: menh dats some end to end question and answer session. the guy even tried to have passed the PST, dat thing is seemingly 'unpassable'

i think these interviews are designed not necessarily to get the precise answers out of you, but to see mechanics behind your reasonining, and d ability to find FIND solutions and not GETTING them per say.

immagine being asked by an interviewer "how many golf balls will it take to fill this room" whats your answer....
We need to know the area of the room, and also the area in which a golf ball can occupy..lol

1 Like

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by sultanemerald(m): 5:35pm On Nov 22, 2013
McKinsey employs people with rare knowledge. They prefer engineers because in engineering you deal mostly with critical reasoning. The McKinsey way of employment is one of the most twisted ways. Consulting style is the very best.
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Sagamite(m): 5:40pm On Nov 22, 2013
Smart interviewee.

I expect nothing less of anyone being invited to an interview with Mckinsey.

But the young ones listening, I will add a bit that instantly came to my head when I was reading because this is the kind of interview I frequently face and this is how I might have addressed it:

Fred: XYZ is airline operator and is currently having problems with their costs. Could you please tell me the items that drive the cost for an airline operator?

Interviewee: Cost can be impacted by 5 key drivers.

- Supply Cost
- Product or Process Design
- Economy of scale
- Cost Advantage due to experience curve
- Automation

For an airline operator, I suspect the major cost factors will fall under the supply cost and product/process design areas, e.g. fuel, type of aircrafts, itinerary, staff, boarding/baggage processes etc, hence why the "No Frills" competitors could rapidly enter the Western markets and gain market share by reconfiguring these two drivers.

But I must maintain that the interviewee was very good under pressure. So thumbs up.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by thrugemaster(m): 5:48pm On Nov 22, 2013
the key is to be ur own boss

2 Likes

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Sagamite(m): 5:50pm On Nov 22, 2013
Jarus:
Fred: Our consultant in his analysis, found out that none of these factors you mentioned was responsible for the excessive fuelling cost. It infact was the PAINT ON THE PLANE!!!

Me: Oh, interesting

I particular like his response in this part. grin grin grin grin grin

There is no way you can know everything by responding in one sitting to a question and anyone that expects you to know all is a fool. You can only identify common and frequent main issues in such an interview.

Don't fret or lose your cool when someone corrects you and provides you with any information in this kind of manner. Stay cool and respond like this guy.

9 Likes

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Jarus(m): 6:03pm On Nov 22, 2013
Sagamite:

I particular like his response in this part. grin grin grin grin grin

There is no way you can know everything by responding in one sitting to a question and anyone that expects you to know all is a fool. You can only identify common and frequent main issues in such an interview.

Don't fret or lose your cool when someone corrects you and provides you with an information in this kind of manner. Stay cool and respond like this guy.
when you gain confidence, you can even get to the extent of hijacking an interview. I recently had an interview where I was asking the interviewers whther they knew Messi. Trying to explain buy-out clause.

3 Likes

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by rennylaw(m): 6:39pm On Nov 22, 2013
interesting, i will like to see the second part of this interview.
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Nobody: 6:48pm On Nov 22, 2013
Threads like this don't attract a crowd. Perfect for intellectuals.

I can't wait to read the second part - I've been eyeing that firm for a while now.

3 Likes

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by tolutweety(m): 7:24pm On Nov 22, 2013
smart answers from a smart dude for a smart interviewer cool.
like seriously... u wowed me with your responses.

pls keep it coming..... im truely following. gat some interviews soonest n ds came @ d appropriate time. thanks jarus .
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by MODERNISE: 7:25pm On Nov 22, 2013
Interesting and fasinating piece.Really good responds under pressure.I think there is great lesson here
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by DutchesSsS(f): 7:36pm On Nov 22, 2013
Interesting..
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by bank2k4real(m): 8:03pm On Nov 22, 2013
Still waiting ooooo...I need it badly...where is my pen n jotter...

Btw while waiting...check my signature for the latest PROMO on Nairaland
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by tblacker(m): 8:22pm On Nov 22, 2013
Interesting and very logical, not for small minds!

I interview applicants for my company but this is a diferent level.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

7 Types Of Bosses In Nigeria's Corporate Outfits / Age Falsification In Banks / TSA: We Could’ve Sacked Bank Ceos, Says CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.