Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,826 members, 7,813,724 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:03 PM

OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education (5149 Views)

July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife / Diploma In Local Govt Studies( Oau,ile-ife,osun State) / Oau Ile Ife 2009/2010 Admission List! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by born2lead01: 9:35am On Nov 22, 2013
OAU Moves to Reform e-Learning
in Education By Emma Okonji

Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife is strategising to reform e-learning as next paradigm shift in 21st century education, following the launch of its Centre of Excellence in software engineering recently at the University.

The centre, which was supported by Step-B/World Bank with a grant of $5.6 million has the following facilities: Internet access laboratory, software studio, cloud computing centre, Telepresence, hardware design and software engineering laboratories respectively.

The Nigerian Skye Bank also supported the project with a building worth N180 million. The facility which is the first of its kind, has the capacity to accommodate about 1200 students per use.

The establishment of the centre of excellence in software engineering is expected to solve the challenges of training Science and Technology teachers in the 21st century.

If fully utilised the centre is also expected to address paucity of educational software that utilises teaching aids such as simulation, animations and graphics for teaching and learning of science and technology post basic courses.

Unveiling the centre recently , the Vice-Chancellor of the University, Prof. Bamitale Omole, told the gathering that the major mission of the University with respect to Information and Communications Technology (ICT), as documented in the Strategic Plan (2010-2015), was to run a cost efficient and effective academic programmes and institutional management. He said with the facilities at the centre, teachers and students could interact seamlessly without having to be together in the traditional classroom environment.

With most Universities embracing e- learning globally with modern technologies, he disclosed that the mission was to develop ICT to a level such that it would serve as backbone of the university’s development strategy in teaching, curriculum development, innovation, research, administration and service.

During the tour of the facilities within the Centre, Head of Department, Computer Science, Prof. Adesola Aderounmu, who doubles as the Vice President, Nigeria Compute Society (NCS), explained that the centre would create enabling environment for imparting knowledge in science and technology using ICT driven, participatory and student centre teaching and learning approaches.

According to him, the goal of the centre was to develop the required local science and technology human resources for the nation's post basic institutions with built-in functional ICT capacity. Explaining further the benefits of the facilities, he said the telepresence had been equipped with Huawei TP3118 product, which is tri-screen telepresence system with one row of conference tables seating eighteen participants.

This, he said, would bring people together in a best ever virtual meeting experience. "Synergy between people creates value, reduces cost and help to stay ahead of competition. Lecture delivery to large class and web conferencing are some of the advantages of using the facilities", Aderounmu said.

According to him, the Cloud Computing environment consists of 7.7 TB cloud server for applications and operating systems and cloud storage of 96TB with 500 virtual terminals. With CaaS as one of the services deployed in the OAU cloud, he added that web conferencing, video communication services, emails among others, would help the academic community in e-learning environment.

A memorandum of understanding was also signed between the University and Chams Plc on technical partnership for development of software applications and solutions.

As a way of ensuring implementation of the memorandum, OAU shall make available office space and work area for the project coordinators and group developers within the university premises while Chams shall provide necessary tools for every developer on the team.

Source: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/oau-moves-to-reform-e-learning-in-education/155759/
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by jaryeh(m): 12:07pm On Nov 22, 2013

Oba Awon Universities all the way!

1 Like

Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by Oluwatola5(f): 12:24pm On Nov 22, 2013
Indeed a school to be in!!!

3 Likes

Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by AmiableJay(m): 4:23pm On Nov 22, 2013
A

1 Like

Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by veraponpo(m): 4:23pm On Nov 22, 2013
I am proud of my alma mata.

Great Ife!!!

3 Likes

Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by Nikapetrelli(f): 4:25pm On Nov 22, 2013
Gud
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by Evad(m): 4:25pm On Nov 22, 2013
am I truly the third to comment? ?

#runs to church
cool
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by michealade(m): 4:26pm On Nov 22, 2013
Its ile Ife a beg not ile efe
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by wellmax(m): 4:26pm On Nov 22, 2013
My Alma mata is in Ile-Ife not Ile-Efe, please correct that error.
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by veraponpo(m): 4:26pm On Nov 22, 2013
Great Ife, Great Ife,

Africa's most beautiful campus;
Conscious, vigilant, progressive;
Aluta against all oppressions;
Forward ever, backward never;
For learning and culture, sport and struggle,
Great Ife, I love you;

There is only one great Ife in the universe
another great Ife is a counterfeit;
Great, great , greatttttttttt......................................

8 Likes

Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by pstdre(m): 4:28pm On Nov 22, 2013
Anoda gr8 Ife is a.....
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by michealade(m): 4:30pm On Nov 22, 2013
pstdre: Anoda gr8 Ife is a.....
is a counterfeit

1 Like

Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by Nobody: 4:31pm On Nov 22, 2013
Truly nigeria's leading I.C.T university #teamgreatife
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by michealade(m): 4:32pm On Nov 22, 2013
Please the MODs should correct d error please
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by Adesam09(m): 4:34pm On Nov 22, 2013
Ok
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by Trailii: 4:35pm On Nov 22, 2013
Though I don't school in ife, but so far d development is coming from south west, am happy. God bless ife, God bless oduduwa land

1 Like

Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by Pharoh: 4:39pm On Nov 22, 2013
This is good and hope other universities will go this route as well.
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by Nobody: 4:39pm On Nov 22, 2013
Great ife. I rep da Music department.
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by dahmie2013: 4:48pm On Nov 22, 2013
Nice one! I hope say una go maintain am well, make d tin no con be like dose ur fine structures wey una don scatter finish.
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by Olugbenger(m): 4:55pm On Nov 22, 2013
The centre, which was supported by Step-
B/World Bank with a grant of $5.6 million
has the following facilities: Internet
access laboratory, software studio, cloud
computing centre, Telepresence,
hardware design and software engineering
laboratories respectively.
The Nigerian Skye Bank also supported
the project with a building worth N180
million. The facility which is the first of its
kind, has the capacity to accommodate
about 1200 students per use.
I hope this project reaches it's full execution fast.
Nice development.
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by hooper: 5:21pm On Nov 22, 2013
GREAT IFE!!!!
BEST EVER UNIVERSITY....
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by born2lead01: 5:34pm On Nov 22, 2013
My FIRST EVER post on Nairaland making the FRONT PAGE instanta. Special thanksgiving in church on SUNDAY on point! grin
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by born2lead01: 5:44pm On Nov 22, 2013
Olugbenger:
I hope this project reaches it's full execution fast.Nice development.
Seems the university will start offering ONLINE PROGRAMS soon. The centre for distance learning in it current advertisement for part time nursing degree application says the study mode will be thru ONLINE and face-to-face (blended approach) http://www.oaucdl.edu.ng/site/mod/resource/view.php?id=24#nursing_p so very soon it will be possible to sit at home and bag your degree from IFE.
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by Ariyke: 5:46pm On Nov 22, 2013
Nice one smiley
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by ibukunobi: 5:50pm On Nov 22, 2013
PRIDE PROMOTES JEALOUSY
NIGERIANS WORSHIP NAME OF SCHOOLS
NIGERIAN WORSHIPS PAPER CERTIFICATES
WAS DANGOTE, ADENUGA, OTEDOLA THAT EMPLOYED YOU FROM IFE
THIS IS EXACTLY WHY THERE IS NO GROWTH IN NIGERIA
WE ADORE IFE CERTIFICATES AS IF OUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT
WE DESTROY CRAFTY ARTS, TECHNICAL EDUCATION BECAUSE WE WANT TO BOAST IN THE SOCIETY THAT WE ACQUIRE A SUPERIOR CERT THAT WILL NEVER TAKE NIGERIA TO ANY LEVEL
AT TIMES I GO TO SPEND TIMES OFFSHORE, I MEET TECHNICALLY SOUND TECHNICIANS FROM KOREA, INDIA AND OTHER COUNTRIES, THEY NEVER WENT TO GREAT IFE AND THEY EARN ABOVE 1 M.
NIGERIANS ARE JUST PURSUING EMPTY BARRELS FOR POLITICAL SUPERIORITY
SOME EVEN WANT TO BE A PROFESSOR JUST BECAUSE THEY WANT TO OPRESS OTHERS
I WILL STILL KEEP PRAYING FOR THIS COUNTRY.

2 Likes

Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by Hollamydey(f): 5:50pm On Nov 22, 2013
GREAT IFE NONI.....OBA AWON UNIVERSITY
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by agrovick(m): 5:51pm On Nov 22, 2013
Nice
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by Phalldhe: 6:02pm On Nov 22, 2013
Hmm... Great Ife, I don't expect anything less from my Alma mata.
What is great is great, no comparison.
If you are not sure, ask Oluwaseun Osewa(a fellow alumnus of Great Ife).
What a giant stride by Oba Awon University.
... Expecting more from OAU and other Nigerian universities.

ASUU, DON'T SPOIL NIGERIAN EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM WITH YOUR DOGMATIC STRIKING ACTION, WHENEVER ISSUES ARISE BETWEEN YOU AND GOVERNMENT.

I so submit...Tevez (Honourable Father).

1 Like

Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by Olastep1(m): 6:05pm On Nov 22, 2013
BEST VARSITY IN NIGERIA!!!.
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by Davo93(m): 6:06pm On Nov 22, 2013
With all the development this, development that in ICT in OAU, students are still being taught Fortran without a chalkboard/Marker-Board to explain things in Amphi theartre... God help Nigerian varsities.
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by michealade(m): 6:12pm On Nov 22, 2013
Davo93: With all the development this, development that in ICT in OAU, students are still being taught Fortran without a chalkboard/Marker-Board to explain things in Amphi theartre... God help Nigerian varsities.
seriously u sound like someone I know in Angola?
Re: OAU Ile-Ife To Reform E-learning In Education by Davo93(m): 7:00pm On Nov 22, 2013
michealade: seriously u sound like someone I know in Angola?
Really? So, how does that fellow sound? cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

2016 Fulbright Foreign Student Program In Usa (masters And Phd) / 18 Brilliant New Words You Should Start Using. / WOW! These Are The Mostly Deadly & Expensive Construction Mistakes In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.