Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,156 members, 7,815,027 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic (2929 Views)

See How Eleven Years Old Entrepreneur's Turn Over Exceeds $140,000. / MTN Nigeria Gets $3 Billion Bank Loan For Network Expansion / Manchester United Becomes First Team Valued At $3 Billion!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by jidowu84: 11:56pm On Nov 22, 2013
For many entrepreneurs, the dream is to launch a kickass startup, grow it into a powerhouse and then sell it off or go public. In other words, to walk away with a boatload of cash in your bank account.

So what happened when a 23-year-old business owner was offered $3 billion for his company? He said no. (Reportedly, anyway.)

That young entrepreneur is Evan Spiegel, the co-founder and chief executive of messaging service Snapchat. The mega-offer he is said to have turned down came from Facebook.

We're not talking about cheeseburgers here. Three billion -- in cash. Who the heck turns down $3 billion?

1 Like

Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by emorse(m): 12:32am On Nov 23, 2013
Whaaat?! I don't biwiv dis yet. Let me do a lil research on it. I'll be back.
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by Elizadath: 9:07pm On Nov 23, 2013
a guy with foreSIGHT. kudos!
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by Godmother(f): 4:16am On Nov 24, 2013
What kind of foresight!!! Nothing stops a competitor from coming up with a similar product in the near future and kicking him off the market. He should have just taken the 3 billion and then come up with a different pet project

1 Like

Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by chiboy11(m): 6:17am On Nov 24, 2013
emorse: Whaaat?! I don't biwiv dis yet. Let me do a lil research on it. I'll be back.
I tink u shud listen to news often n stop listenng 2 carton network or MTV cuse dis haz been on d news lately.

@topic I blive d guy just lost out on dis deal,d most intrestin tin about snapchat s dat d messg delivers 2d orda person wen eva u want dat to do n most essp it leav no trace of chating wit d person which no chat netwok does.I bliv in d near future som1 else wil clown dat site

2 Likes

Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by Nobody: 6:55am On Nov 24, 2013
Godmother: What kind of foresight!!! Nothing stops a competitor from coming up with a similar product in the near future and kicking him off the market. He should have just taken the 3 billion and then come up with a different pet project

this is the same words by people in the know about how this works. 3 billion dollars is a lot of money. Why turn it down? I read about this story a week ago and some guys say some years later, he will regret this move as it may fade away soon.

As I type this now, another dude is contemplateing whether to accept $200,000 for a domain name or develop the domain name.

Man, this whites are crazy!

2 Likes

Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by ehvez(m): 7:01am On Nov 24, 2013
Godmother: What kind of foresight!!! Nothing stops a competitor from coming up with a similar product in the near future and kicking him off the market. He should have just taken the 3 billion and then come up with a different pet project
His foreseeing my friend tru awt this years y dint any1 put steve jobs awt of business before he died mark and bill gates also.you can't jst put some 1 awt of IT

1 Like

Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by Urine: 8:59am On Nov 24, 2013
What you guys don't know is that he also turned down 4 billion dollar from Google. If these sharks are willing to offer that much, it simply means they have more to gain from it.

2 Likes

Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by Nobody: 9:09am On Nov 24, 2013
Urine: What you guys don't know is that he also turned down 4 billion dollar from Google. If these sharks are willing to offer that much, it simply means they have more to gain from it.

Not just Google, there are others as well. What we are saying is that it may not be a cool tool in the near future. Just watch!
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by emorse(m): 9:38am On Nov 24, 2013
Its actually true. He even turned down a $4b offer from google. This could turn out to be his greatest mistake ever. Google/Facebook would make a lot of money with it - yes. But I'm sure he didn't expect to make $4b with that app so soon. Besides, competition could spring up soon and knock him out of business. Anyways, its just my opinion.
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by Nobody: 10:09am On Nov 24, 2013
emorse: Its actually true. He even turned down a $4b offer from google. This could turn out to be his greatest mistake ever. Google/Facebook would make a lot of money with it - yes. But I'm sure he didn't expect to make $4b with that app so soon. Besides, competition could spring up soon and knock him out of business. Anyways, its just my opinion.
exactly the point raised!
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:42am On Nov 24, 2013
2s£xy:

this is the same words by people in the know about how this works. 3 billion dollars is a lot of money. Why turn it down? I read about this story a week ago and some guys say some years later, he will regret this move as it may fade away soon.

As I type this now, another dude is contemplateing whether to accept $200,000 for a domain name or develop the domain name.

Man, this whites are crazy!

If Spiegel had accepted, let's say $300,000 for snap chat.com domain, it won't be worth over $3 billion dollars today. Sometimes developing is better. Spiegel might be on the verge of upgrading snapchat into something worth more than a clone can't offer. It is all in the vision.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by Urine: 11:11am On Nov 24, 2013
2s£xy:

Not just Google, there are others as well. What we are saying is that it may not be a cool tool in the near future. Just watch!

If two Internet giants are willing to offer billions of dollar for a product, doesn't that tell us the future of that product is bright? Tech entrepreneurs are not your average Joe, their pattern of thinking is not rational and that's why they are unique.

Also, I don't think these sharks are after the app, they are more interested in the technology behind the app. If you send files and they can automatically dissappear, after the receiver views it...the possibilities.
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by Nobody: 12:19pm On Nov 24, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:

If Spiegel had accepted, let's say $300,000 for snap chat.com domain, it won't be worth over $3 billion dollars today. Sometimes developing is better. Spiegel might be on the verge of upgrading snapchat into something worth more than a clone can't offer. It is all in the vision.
bro, this all about our BUSINESS! And we have a lot to learn from this scenarios with projected vision of past events; he should have considered another option. Truth be told, this would have been the world's biggest buy in the history domain/webiste acquisition.

But turning down 3-4billion dollars is incredibly INSANE!!!!

Rick Schwarts has a way he does it if he doesn't want to sell his domain. He simply ask for revenue sharing in the case of Candy.com. When Google acquired Youtube, the former owners didn't sell it off completely, man. They ARE still part and parcel of the youtube company and possibly heading that angle.

Nokia was recently sold to Microsoft but NOT completely as the owners still has a share in the company.

If I had turn down that $25,000 which you are aware of, wont you think I am under a spell, even though the supposed buyer was doubting because I am a Nigerian and didn't follow through the deal?

Hope you know about the other dude who is currently contemplating whether to accept $200,000 or not for an un-developed domain, let's leave out snapchat. What do you think about that? The guy in this case was given the option of also sharing the revenue/shares of the company sales. That to me is the best option rather than outright turning down such mouth-watering offers. The guy in question never considered developing this domain until $200,000 was thrown his way. The question is: does he have the funds to match a multibillion dollar company's competition in terms of adverts, sales and revenue-generation?

Whatsapp is currently owned by facebook or google. They bought it less than a year ago.

But on the second thought, maybe these companies are just buying chat-sites to kill possible/pontential competitors off the radar. Perhabs, that's why snapchat owner doesn't want to sell.

Only time will tell what would become of this in the near future.

P.S: I will like to see these companies scrambling to buy a Nigerian owned innovations someday. I hope Nairaland programmers are seeing that investors are looking for what to buy?

Goodluck to us all!

2 Likes

Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by Nobody: 12:20pm On Nov 24, 2013
Urine:

If two Internet giants are willing to offer billions of dollar for a product, doesn't that tell us the future of that product is bright? Tech entrepreneurs are not your average Joe, their pattern of thinking is not rational and that's why they are unique.

Also, I don't think these sharks are after the app, they are more interested in the technology behind the app. If you send files and they can automatically dissappear, after the receiver views it...the possibilities.

I get your point. Oh well, it's his call and not mine.
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by onlineresource: 12:40pm On Nov 24, 2013
I believe its the technology behind it that they are after and for the guy to turn it down, that means he's cooking something up that might change certain things in the tech world. It's his company and he knows the future that he's looking at...

1 Like

Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 24, 2013
owning a brand such as snapchat could be more of a personal dream rather than a business. This could be something he could boast of and something he could call his own. Why do we have to believe the Googles and Facebooks of this world should own prospective money-killing brand such as this. Money is not the only thing one should think of getting when innovating a brand which would catch the eyes of the big boys
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by emorse(m): 10:56pm On Nov 24, 2013
shawnmayour: owning a brand such as snapchat could be more of a personal dream rather than a business. This could be something he could boast of and something he could call his own. Why do we have to believe the Googles and Facebooks of this world should own prospective money-killing brand such as this. Money is not the only thing one should think of getting when innovating a brand which would catch the eyes of the big boys
Your signature tells me you don't really mean this.
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by Nobody: 12:20am On Nov 25, 2013
emorse:
lmao grin

1 Like

Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by Nobody: 5:59am On Nov 25, 2013
emorse:
grin
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by Nobody: 8:59am On Nov 25, 2013
Guys, talking about vanishing files after the recipient views it, 2go can also do that. undecided
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by emorse(m): 9:37am On Nov 25, 2013
2s£xy:
Guys, talking about vanishing files after the recipient views it, 2go can also do that. undecided
Abi o.
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by suxes2005(m): 12:31pm On Nov 25, 2013
Nice observations by y'all.

If any of you did a research into the guy's business, then you will understand
that he does not have the sole right to determine what happens to snapchat, not
with many millions of dollars of investors' money tied into it !

The guy would have convinced the investors easily to buy into the offer and everyone goes
home happy but tell you what, the investors behind the funding are market leaders and they
surely know what they need.

$3billion might sound much (infact its a big amount of money mehn... i go buy one state ....) but
those guys are not usually motivated by money. They don't even really care or feel too bad if they
fail at the end of it all - consider snapchat as a startup with few staffs.

2s£xy:
bro, this all about our BUSINESS! And we have a lot to learn from this scenarios with projected vision of past events; he should have considered another option. Truth be told, this would have been the world's biggest buy in the history domain/webiste acquisition.

Rick Schwarts has a way he does it if he doesn't want to sell his domain. He simply ask for revenue sharing in the case of Candy.com. When Google acquired Youtube, the former owners didn't sell it off completely, man. They ARE still part and parcel of the youtube company and possibly heading that angle.

Nokia was recently sold to Microsoft but NOT completely as the owners still has a share in the company.

If I had turn down that $25,000 which you are aware of, wont you think I am under a spell, even though the supposed buyer was doubting because I am a Nigerian and didn't follow through the deal?

Hope you know about the other dude who is currently contemplating whether to accept $200,000 or not for an un-developed domain, let's leave out snapchat. What do you think about that? The guy in this case was given the option of also sharing the revenue/shares of the company sales. That to me is the best option rather than outright turning down such mouth-watering offers. The guy in question never considered developing this domain until $200,000 was thrown his way. The question is: does he have the funds to match a multibillion dollar company's competition in terms of adverts, sales and revenue-generation?

Whatsapp is currently owned by facebook or google. They bought it less than a year ago.

But on the second thought, maybe these companies are just buying chat-sites to kill possible/pontential competitors off the radar. Perhabs, that's why snapchat owner doesn't want to sell.

P.S: I will like to see these companies scrambling to buy a Nigerian owned innovations someday. I hope Nairaland programmers are seeing that investors are looking for what to buy?

Goodluck to us all!

The guy at irokotv, Jason, got $8million funding from angel investors if memory serves me well.
So we have guys doing big things online. We will surely get there that is if we develop something
worth investing in. Even this spinlet people seems they got funding as well from investors... I'm pretty
sure Seun of NL wudda receive lot of offers but will prefer to keep Nl to him alone (and mukina maybe.. lol)

I love internet. I love it/her/him so much. God bless internet for us !

SHALOM
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by jidowu84: 8:59pm On Dec 13, 2013
@suxes2005;onpoint.
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by elvis10ten(m): 7:51am On Dec 14, 2013
2s£xy:

Goodluck to us all!
lolwkmdied, whatsapp owned by google or facebook ?. Whatsapp hasn't been bought. All what this your whole write up is focused on is money, thats what separates you from that guy.
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by elvis10ten(m): 7:58am On Dec 14, 2013
onlineresource: I believe its the technology behind it that they are after and for the guy to turn it down, that means he's cooking something up that might change certain things in the tech world. It's his company and he knows the future that he's looking at...
there is no big techie stuff behind that app. If Google or Facebook (facebook has already) want to build something like that, it won't take them a week. I CAN EVEN BUILD IT FOR ANY ONE WILLING TO PAY. Last year, Facebook created its own version of Snapchat in a matter of days. The replica, Poke, named after an old Facebook feature, works exactly the same as Snapchat, allowing users to exchange photos and videos that disappear in a few seconds.
Poke failed miserably. Almost nobody downloads it anymore. In other areas, too, Facebook's market power hasn’t been enough to crush competitors. The service has all the functionality of Instagram, Foursquare and, yes, Twitter, but it has not killed them off. Similarly, Google's social networking service, Google+, has failed to oust Facebook.
The social-networking world -- and, in fact, the world of digital user experiences -- is irrational in that way. There are people who use Facebook and those who won't be caught dead on it. A lot of young people fall into that category. The fact is, facebook is loosing the social war with teens, that why they need snapchat to win.

1 Like

Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by elvis10ten(m): 8:22am On Dec 14, 2013
suxes2005: Nice observations by y'all.

If any of you did a research into the guy's business, then you will understand
that he does not have the sole right to determine what happens to snapchat, not
with many millions of dollars of investors' money tied into it !

The guy would have convinced the investors easily to buy into the offer and everyone goes
home happy but tell you what, the investors behind the funding are market leaders and they
surely know what they need.

$3billion might sound much (infact its a big amount of money mehn... i go buy one state ....) but
those guys are not usually motivated by money. They don't even really care or feel too bad if they
fail at the end of it all
- consider snapchat as a startup with few staffs.

The guy at irokotv, Jason, got $8million funding from angel investors if memory serves me well.
So we have guys doing big things online. We will surely get there that is if we develop something
worth investing in. Even this spinlet people seems they got funding as well from investors... I'm pretty
sure Seun of NL wudda receive lot of offers but will prefer to keep Nl to him alone (and mukina maybe.. lol)

I love internet. I love it/her/him so much. God bless internet for us !

SHALOM
the bolded part is not always true.
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by elvis10ten(m): 8:27am On Dec 14, 2013
facebook did that and it died before it had life.
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by elvis10ten(m): 8:30am On Dec 14, 2013
emorse: Its actually true. He even turned down a $4b offer from google. This could turn out to be his greatest mistake ever. Google/Facebook would make a lot of money with it - yes. But I'm sure he didn't expect to make $4b with that app so soon. Besides, competition could spring up soon and knock him out of business. Anyways, its just my opinion.
Competition makes companies stronger and create better products. Its not something to be scared of. You just have to know your onion.
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by elvis10ten(m): 8:35am On Dec 14, 2013
The guy just have to keep SnapChat cool and probably He will remain at the top. CONTACT ME IF YOU NEED A WEBSITE OR AN APP => EMAIL: elvis.chidera@gmail.com | PHONE: 07061317103
Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by jidowu84: 8:46am On Dec 15, 2013
elvis10ten: The guy just have to keep SnapChat cool and probably He will remain at the top. CONTACT ME IF YOU NEED A WEBSITE OR AN APP => EMAIL: elvis.chidera@gmail.com | PHONE: 07061317103

create one like snapchat for yourself and become famous and first in africa. i have a unique domain if you are serious.

1 Like

Re: Dis Is D 23-yr-old Entrepreneur Who Jst Turned Down $3 Billion Frm Facebook-pic by elvis10ten(m): 12:00pm On Dec 15, 2013
jidowu84:
create one like snapchat for yourself and become famous and first in africa. i have a unique domain if you are serious.
Currently i only freelance, i want to raise cash for my ideas. Also if i were to build a chat app i need a WOW factor and some funds, can you provide that ?. A domain is nothing. I once created this app (Xmx Me), you can google search it, but i screwed up big time (won't like to go into details here) and it lead to some consequences. I won't make the same mistake twice.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Types Of Income Tax In Nigeria / Are You Interested In Soap Business? / Bar Soap.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.