Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,768 members, 7,820,685 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. (2077 Views)

! / My Younger Brother's Wedding Plan Is Having Issues, Please Advise Me / I Stay With My Uncle For 4 Years But Am Having Issues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by Sanandreas10(m): 5:33pm On Nov 23, 2013
Hi.....Bro%sis in Nairaland..
Im happened to came frm family sad
Of Five
, im the last child of the family, i got admission into one of the prestigious Universities This year, which is The Federal University of Ilorin(Better By Stress).but my problem is i found It difficult to Express Myself In Correct English, it is not that im really bad In english, bt i can speak it continously, Any time my friend is Speaking, I alway found it difficult to express my feelings with them, The only English im good at is Asking questions;;;;;;i Cannt speak english fleuntly, ......Pls, Great and esteem Nairalanders, What Shall I do....?Your Advice will Go a Long way to help me.........Is It becauuse Im a Crammar..because I never Read to Understand since i started schooling, i read to Cramm,..?Pls, is it cramming that is really affecting me..even, I have read a lots Of Novels, still im still poor, All Chinua Achebe novel, ,even Wole soyinka Novel,i have read them........!!Please, anyone who is also in My plight should Share his experience.!!!!!....Im Dying..Mosto of the Girls in My department and Boys are trying to Keep me At arm Length...
sad
sad
sad
.is It because i wasted My time ON grammar, or I because My first language is Poor,because Im also bad In my first language.....
pls, i want a serious,helpful and straight comment, i will even appreciate it if u can drop your numbers ,Pls...Allah will be u,and Jesus will be with You.thnks
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by bigtt76(f): 5:48pm On Nov 23, 2013
Try conversing more with your friends ...either on phone or physically. This will give you more confidence. If you commit suicide, It will still boil down to the same issue so biko ...try ya.
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 23, 2013
bigtt76: Try conversing more with your friends ...either on phone or physically. This will give you more confidence. It will still boil down to the same issue so biko ...try ya.
lol, badt girl
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by firetrap(m): 6:20pm On Nov 23, 2013
which one of una (mods) delete my post. identify urself now or
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by olanre12(m): 6:29pm On Nov 23, 2013
by brother please don't commit suicide but my advice for you is to continue learning or call me 08038907978

1 Like

Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 23, 2013
My dear just keep reading...read read read. Read newspapers, read detective novels, hell even read mills and boon. Don't read to change ur way of speaking, just relax and enjoy the stories and u wont even realise when ur speaking will change.
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by baralatie(m): 6:51pm On Nov 23, 2013
Sanandreas10: Hi.....Bro%sis in Nairaland..
Im happened to came frm family sad
Of Five
, im the last child of the family, i got admission into one of the prestigious Universities This year, which is The Federal University of Ilorin(Better By Stress).but my problem is i found It difficult to Express Myself In Correct English, it is not that im really bad In english, bt i can speak it continously, Any time my friend is Speaking, I alway found it difficult to express my feelings with them, The only English im good at is Asking questions;;;;;;i Cannt speak english fleuntly, ......Pls, Great and esteem Nairalanders, What Shall I do....?Your Advice will Go a Long way to help me.........Is It becauuse Im a Crammar..because I never Read to Understand since i started schooling, i read to Cramm,..?Pls, is it cramming that is really affecting me..even, I have read a lots Of Novels, still im still poor, All Chinua Achebe novel, ,even Wole soyinka Novel,i have read them........!!Please, anyone who is also in My plight should Share his experience.!!!!!....Im Dying..Mosto of the Girls in My department and Boys are trying to Keep me At arm Length...
sad
sad
sad
.is It because i wasted My time ON grammar, or I because My first language is Poor,because Im also bad In my first language.....
pls, i want a serious,helpful and straight comment, i will even appreciate it if u can drop your numbers ,Pls...Allah will be u,and Jesus will be with You.thnks
well,if u can read chinua achebe works and understand then u dont av a problem.
Already from the way u wrote ur text if av a gud grasp of the english language.
Pls calm down!
I believe u want to be more orally proficient.it is so,so simple
do u the ffg:
+get a cd walkman
+go an get an audio cd on oral english/presentation from faculty of english or u can order online 2ru the bbc
+ also listen more to bbc news english & imitate!

Dont hurt urself becoz of what u see abt oda ppl, impresn change!
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by Kslib(m): 6:55pm On Nov 23, 2013
OP, going by what you said, your problem is not actually the english itself but speaking it right? Well, to be honest, i dont think reading Novels,articles and the likes will do much..

All you need is confidence and you're good to go.. A good start will be to start recording your voice on phone or whatever, then sit down and listen to what you said. Doing that will help you know where your problem lies as you listen to yourself speak.

Just assume you are talking to somebody,then record it for lets say 'anything more than a minute and thirty seconds'.. Do that for a week and you'll notice the changes.. As you progress daily in this routine, you'll notice the improvements, and that will serve as the motivating factor to prove that 'Hey! I can actually do it'..

And again, try this!! video record your face and assume you are speaking to somebody. After you finish, play the video and notice how your face pattern was when speaking. You will notice one thing----- Fear-- The fear on your face!! Like i said 'confidence' is the key and voice recording is one of those ways to get it as far as speaking is concerned!

2 Likes

Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by dejt4u(m): 7:00pm On Nov 23, 2013
Suicide is nt an option at all.
My advice:
1. engage urself in constructive argument wit ur peers always
2. Dnt giv urself unnecessary stress of using big or difficult words(vocabulary). Simple english is enough for u
3. Reading of dose difficult novels wil neva help you. It will be addin to ur problem. Like Shakespeares novel, nigerian secondary school novels and news papers wil help u alot
4. Making someone like hon patrick ur role model in speakin will be very confusing.
5. Understand urself verywell b4 u express urself in english
6. Try constructin sentences on ur own
7. Watch nollywood or ghollywood movie attentively
8. Watchin yoruba movie may reduce ur IQ as their subtitls are very worthless
9. Trust nd believe in urself.
..to be continued

1 Like

Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by baby124: 7:10pm On Nov 23, 2013
Nairalander's:

I can't drink water, can I commit suicide?

Am always hungry, suicide anyone?

School is stressful, perfect reason to kill yourself?

Oh, I can't piss as often as I want to,I think I am dying. Maybe suicide?

I refuse to work or work hard, I think the solution to my problems is suicide.

Hehehehe. Una never start. Na so life easy?
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by dejt4u(m): 7:23pm On Nov 23, 2013
Also, i tink dis wil help u alot.
Choose a topic of ur interest, it may be a course title, a secondary schl subject or nigerian politics. Let it be sometin u are so interested in. Then get ur junior ones.. Ur bro or sis (junior) at home or relatives. Take time to discuss this wit dem for lyk 10-15minutes everyday strictly in English.
You will be improving everyday.
Mind you, neva regurgitate d same tin like tellin d same story all ova again as dis may get dem bored. Let ur topic be interestin nd fascinatin to dem so dat dey also wil be learning one or two tins.
I often do dis wen i ws in school(undergraduate at oau). There was even a time when everybody in my house gt interestd in what i'm tellin my younger ones including my mother which is d concept of atmospheric physics, environmental physics and modern physics(relativity). They always ask for more...
With dat dey wil be learning from you nd u wil be gainin confidence in speaking. Also work on facing crowd nd superiors...
Lik imagnin you are defending ur degree project infront of professors!

1 Like

Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by greatgod2012(f): 7:57pm On Nov 23, 2013
It amazes me the way many people now talk about suicide anytime there is a little problem or any form of inadequacy in their lives There has never been a very smooth way for anyone, at one point or the other, people pass through one problem or the other, and when the going gets tough, it's only the tough that gets going, if everyone takes to suicide as rampant these days, i doubt if there will be anyone remaining on the surface of this earth. I just dont like it when people threaten to commit suicide. So, op, stop it, everybdy has his or her own share of the problems of life, that is what makes life interesting and long, dont ever think you're the only one that has problem, everyone has, it may not be the same, but believe me, no one has it all smooth.

My suggestion on what you think your problem is, even though, to me, it's not a problem, but since you have accepted it as a problem, the simple solution that occurs to me now is to get glued to you dictionary, if you dont mind, support it with brighter grammar, Part 1-4, then be consistent in your practise. As for reading to understand, ensure you dont miss classes when lectures are going on, when you are studying and you remember the explaination given by the lecturer on a particular topic, it would be easy for you to mix/join the two together to make a meaningful reading and understanding. Also, ensure you don't sleep until you have gone over what you did for the day, with that, it won't take long before assimilating.
May God help you.

2 Likes

Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by 2good(m): 8:04pm On Nov 23, 2013
You need to speak more often with people. Also buy all the editions of brighter grammar and learn all the tenses there while practicing with people regularly. Put an embargo on speaking your native language or vernacular and speak good English with people all the time. Some people learn English as adult and they excel in it because they take their time to learn from the scratch. Another alternative is to enrol in an English coaching class either inside or outside of school and you'll observe that your proficiency will improve with time.
If you don't solve this problem now, it will hunt you later after graduation because getting a job requires being eloquent in a job interview. Also working in an environment requires you to regularly converse with colleagues and also give presentation in the presence of lot of people. You cannot do without speaking with people in confidence so you have a lot of work to do.

1 Like

Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by Mbatagr82(m): 8:40pm On Nov 23, 2013
Brother even if you commit suicide, you will still find it difficult to communicate in HELL. So suicide is never a solution to your inabilities.I think your problem is just Self esteem. You have so much developed a very low self esteem when it comes to public speaking and speech.I believe you do well in written English. My advice is for you to build your self esteem. You can start by having frequent interaction with KIDS. KIDS have a lot to teach us. With frequent interaction with them, they will help you build confidence and trust within you. Lastly, always create quiet time in which you can address yourself,meditate and mutter out words from your Holy scriptures and then leave the rest to GOD. You will surely see great IMPACTS!!
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by Adrenaline123(m): 10:23pm On Nov 23, 2013
Five easy steps
1. Read
2. Listen
3. Write
4. Practice
5. Copy/emulate
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by Nobody: 6:59am On Nov 24, 2013
Apart from reading Watch cnn news,aljazera,watch american movies,study your dictionary.pick 10 words everyday consistently and learn it.without you realising it,people will start commending you for your flawless english

good enough your problem is half solved because the elders say when a person admits he has a problem and shares it with others,it is as good as half solved.i hope i have helped.

Meanwhile stay away from nollywood,english or yoruba,pidgin magazines etc.if you feel like reading news papers,do punch or tell,they will not only keep you informed and upgrade your intellect,they will also refine and polish your diction.

I hope i have helped

1 Like

Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by Nobody: 7:05am On Nov 24, 2013
Mbatagr82: Brother even if you commit suicide, you will still find it difficult to communicate in HELL. So suicide is never a solution to your inabilities.I think your problem is just Self esteem. You have so much developed a very low self esteem when it comes to public speaking and speech.I believe you do well in written English. My advice is for you to build your self esteem. You can start by having frequent interaction with KIDS. KIDS have a lot to teach us. With frequent interaction with them, they will help you build confidence and trust within you. Lastly, always create quiet time in which you can address yourself,meditate and mutter out words from your Holy scriptures and then leave the rest to GOD. You will surely see great IMPACTS!!
yes thats true.study the bible too.bible helps a lot.you can get good news bible or new international version or american standard version of the bible.read 2 chapters a day.that way you are developing your spirit man,adding to your knowledge and aiding your english

listen to pastors sermons too like myles munroe,t.d jakes,joyce meyer etc
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by Nobody: 7:17am On Nov 24, 2013
2good: You need to speak more often with people. Also buy all the editions of brighter grammar and learn all the tenses there while practicing with people regularly. Put an embargo on speaking your native language or vernacular and speak good English with people all the time. Some people learn English as adult and they excel in it because they take their time to learn from the scratch. Another alternative is to enrol in an English coaching class either inside or outside of school and you'll observe that your proficiency will improve with time.
If you don't solve this problem now, it will hunt you later after graduation because getting a job requires being eloquent in a job interview. Also working in an environment requires you to regularly converse with colleagues and also give presentation in the presence of lot of people. You cannot do without speaking with people in confidence so you have a lot of work to do.
that is so true.i remember when i just got my first job,they say i will present reasons why i want the job and how i hope to impact in the organization and also the role i hope to play in making the company's vision a sucess.despite the fact that i initially had stage fright facing industrialists,buisness executives and academicias,i was able to later develop courage because of proper communication skills.so there are times you cant escape this.you never can tell when public speaking will be required of you and you need fluency so people would not look at you as 'stewpeed' or cant represent himself very well talkless of the company
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by Nobody: 7:35am On Nov 24, 2013
greatgod2012: It amazes me the way many people now talk about suicide anytime there is a little problem or any form of inadequacy in their lives There has never been a very smooth way for anyone, at one point or the other, people pass through one problem or the other, and when the going gets tough, it's only the tough that gets going, if everyone takes to suicide as rampant these days, i doubt if there will be anyone remaining on the surface of this earth. I just dont like it when people threaten to commit suicide. So, op, stop it, everybdy has his or her own share of the problems of life, that is what makes life interesting and long, dont ever think you're the only one that has problem, everyone has, it may not be the same, but believe me, no one has it all smooth.

My suggestion on what you think your problem is, even though, to me, it's not a problem, but since you have accepted it as a problem, the simple solution that occurs to me now is to get glued to you dictionary, if you dont mind, support it with brighter grammar, Part 1-4, then be consistent in your practise. As for reading to understand, ensure you dont miss classes when lectures are going on, when you are studying and you remember the explaination given by the lecturer on a particular topic, it would be easy for you to mix/join the two together to make a meaningful reading and understanding. Also, ensure you don't sleep until you have gone over what you did for the day, with that, it won't take long before assimilating.
May God help you.
yes thats true.problems are evidences that you have goals,dreams and a bright future.moreover,life is like an ECG diagram.if it goes smoothly,you are dead

1 Like

Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by Nobody: 7:59am On Nov 24, 2013
Haba pple, poster said,"I am dying"
Don't we know what this means figuratively?
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by Nobody: 8:57am On Nov 24, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Haba pple, poster said,"I am dying"
Don't we know what this means figuratively?
dying ke?

@ op dont die o.this life is too sweet to leave it soon. So much to live for.abeg dont throw in the towel.there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

What do you want to explain to God that you commited suicide for.if you go to the hospital,nigerian prisons,police custody etc you will count your blessings,i swear
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by Nobody: 9:13am On Nov 24, 2013
K, he simply said he is suffering.
Nobody is dying abeg.
U guys r very funny!

How r u?
U no go church.
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by EfemenaXY: 9:23am On Nov 24, 2013
yellowpawpaw: K, he simply said he is suffering.
Nobody is dying abeg.

U guys r very funny!

How r u?
U no go church.

He started off by threatening suicide, hence the harsh replies.

Either he or the mods have modified his thread title.
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 24, 2013
Maybe it has been modified.

Poster u wanna kill urself cos gals r keeping u at arm's length bc ur grammer according to u is poor?
What won't I c in nl?

Okay o.
Goodluck
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by EfemenaXY: 10:21am On Nov 24, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Maybe it has been modified.

Poster u wanna kill urself cos gals r keeping u at arm's length bc ur grammer according to u is poor?
What won't I c in nl?

Okay o.
Goodluck

grin grin

You don change mouth now, ni?
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by Nobody: 10:32am On Nov 24, 2013
Efe, they send u this morning?
Hangover dey worry me o!

Actually I only saw "I'm dying" hence my comments. Was surprised seeing everybody posting something on suicide.

Never knew he moified his post.
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by EfemenaXY: 10:34am On Nov 24, 2013
Lol!

Hangover eh?

Good Morning sha cheesy
Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by jeffizy(m): 12:40pm On Nov 24, 2013
baby_123: Nairalander's:

I can't drink water, can I commit suicide?

Am always hungry, suicide anyone?

School is stressful, perfect reason to kill yourself?

Oh, I can't piss as often as I want to,I think I am dying. Maybe suicide?

I refuse to work or work hard, I think the solution to my problems is suicide.

Hehehehe. Una never start. Na so life easy?
Your post is too funny , I can't control myself.
Can I commit suicide?
Lolololz.

1 Like

Re: Having Issues with my English Language. Please Help. by Nobody: 1:27pm On Nov 24, 2013
yellowpawpaw: K, he simply said he is suffering.
Nobody is dying abeg.
U guys r very funny!

How r u?
U no go church.
haaa.ok o.pele.it is well o.when there is life,there is hope.

Yeah,i am home.i a back from church just chilling,i am good,thanks :*

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should I Just Abort? / The Best Thing(s) That Happened To You In 2013 / "Rape By Fraud"--a Disturbing Direction In Today's Rape Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.