Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,226 members, 7,825,870 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. (22668 Views)

Dr Martin Luther King Jr The False Prophet God Spoke About Specifically / Rccg Open Heavens Devotion Wednesday 27th March 2013 Relating With Enemies By Pa / Praying For Your Enemies To Die, Is It Right Or Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by God2man(m): 11:12pm On Nov 24, 2013
ono: After the terrible ordeal I went through earlier this year in the hands of loved ones, I sought for ways to have peace with myself and them. So far, it has been futile. But yesterday, the daily verse from the Bible site I read was about forgiving our enemies.

''But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you'' - Luke 6:27.

I was dumbfounded by that verse of the Scripture. For a while, I couldn't think straight. If the Lord had not rescued me from the hands of those people, I probably would be dead meat by now. How is it then that the Lord commanded us to do this? - maybe he wants us to just want him fighting ALL our battles.

Then, I typed the words: ''how to love your enemies'' into google search engine, and several sites popped out - as usual. But I picked this particular one, because after reading through (it's very long but interesting), I got some direction on how to go about it. And it was a sermon on the topic by the famous American Baptist Pastor, Martin Luther King. Now on a second thought, I decided to share with folks on this board. Happy reading - if you can!

I found there's an audio recording of the sermon too - so you can play that back, if you want to listen to it.
http://mlk-kpp01.stanford.edu/index.php/encyclopedia/documentsentry/doc_loving_your_enemies/

A timeless message.

I say God bless you, op.

God2man.
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Nobody: 11:21pm On Nov 24, 2013
God bless u for dis .
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Nobody: 11:23pm On Nov 24, 2013
The only people that loves this type of message are the wicked people, because they want to continue with their wickedness.

For those who are not wicked God has given us the power to turn our enemies into our footstool.

1 Like

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Nobody: 11:37pm On Nov 24, 2013
indoorlove: A man who is always good would bring himself to ruin among great numbers of Men who are not, therefore, for a prince to maintain his authority he must learn how not to be good and either use this knowledge or refrain from using it as the case maybe- The prince
u are right though, but to what extent has this Machiavellian scruples solved man's problems, more especially in a time like ours? the 'an eye for an eye' strategy against book haram has yielded minimal positive result. it is high time we started changing our attitude and mentality about life and problems dat comes with it.

1 Like

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by isalegan2: 11:47pm On Nov 24, 2013
femmyb: Martin Luther King is a freaking traitor. Black Americans because of segregation owned their own businesses and were on the way to building a prosperous black nation within a nation, until he told them to abandon everything and integrate with the
white folks, now they don't own Poo and are fvcked up in the head. If he was still alive he should be arrested and put on trail for treason.

MLK was no traitor! He did not champion integration but equal rights. If he was all about mixing with the white folks, he would have moved his family into a white neighborhood. He went to a black historical university himself. I think there is a lot of misconception about this great man. You cannot blame the condition of the Black American underclass on him. Few of them follow his ideal anyway.
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by ono(m): 11:55pm On Nov 24, 2013
franciskaine: u are right though, but to what extent has this Machiavellian scruples solved man's problems, more especially in a time like ours? the 'an eye for an eye' strategy against book haram has yielded minimal positive result. it is high time we started changing our attitude and mentality about life and problems dat comes with it.

Great insight man! Did you read what MLK said at this point in the sermon?

''the great Napoleon that at a very early age had all but conquered the world........But that same Napoleon one day stood back and looked across the years, and said: "Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and I have built great empires. But upon what did they depend? They depended upon force. But long ago Jesus started an empire that depended on love, and even to this day millions will die for him."
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by ushafe(m): 12:00am On Nov 25, 2013
A nice one
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by MattMelty: 12:09am On Nov 25, 2013
@ OP-- May God bless u so much dat u'll want to ask Him to stop for dis post. Thanks a million times.

1 Like

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by mamagee3(f): 1:00am On Nov 25, 2013
I always considered Martin Luther King a hero. . .

I love him!!!

1 Like

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by saviola24: 2:04am On Nov 25, 2013
How would i love my enemies when small house wey i manage to arrange for villa, stil on foundation level, enemies don go use blue wrapper tie d house in spiritual realm. In mountain of fire voice. Holy Ghost fire.
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by adewaleafolabi(m): 4:22am On Nov 25, 2013
https://archive.org/details/MlkOnLovingYourEnemies-trueLove101

In case anyone needs the mp3 of the Sermon. Please follow the link above

1 Like

Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by ihedioramma: 5:12am On Nov 25, 2013
Thank's so much @ op this is what we need now. if we love our selfs and for give others i dont think there will be boko harm e.t.c today. and let me remember this to every body we are GOD'S enemies becos we dont keep his laws to us . we have to forgive our follow human and teach them what they dont understand in this world thank's lets be christ like .
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by paulworld(m): 5:59am On Nov 25, 2013
bros is this your first day of hearing about this sermon. shit it's all about front page things
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by tehgar27: 6:28am On Nov 25, 2013
Well to u who say christianity makes no sense. Ask urself dis question when u hate pple what happens within ur own mind and when u are @ peace with pple what happens in ur heart or mind? Food 4 tout. Mawin 2 u all
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by oluxy(m): 6:48am On Nov 25, 2013
I wish all peeps in 9ja read this piece..
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by optimism91(m): 7:23am On Nov 25, 2013
I like that. But its not easy. Before you can love your enemies, you will have to forgive them. But its not easy to forget. And thats where it hurts the most.
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by juanmiguel: 7:35am On Nov 25, 2013
chinaman666: Christianity makes no sense. In the Old Testament, the Israelites were punished for not completely committing genocide to their "enemies" as decreed by their god. In the New Testament, we're told to love our enemies and turn the other cheek.
Tnk God u said Old Testament and New Testament.
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by fallingsky(m): 7:45am On Nov 25, 2013
Okk
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by pesty100(m): 8:13am On Nov 25, 2013
God forgive my enemies.. Becos i wont
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Sunny360: 8:49am On Nov 25, 2013
How I love that 'message'! I read it 2d end...& have no regrets. Powerful,inspiring& soul-searching preaching. God's grace is sufficient (& available) to LOVE,amongst others. (2Cor.12:9)
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by jessepearl(m): 9:15am On Nov 25, 2013
checkdate: = ;D1st: we start to love boko haram sect members...
=2nd: stop hating our pastors that own private jets. . .
lolz
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Emdee590(m): 9:31am On Nov 25, 2013
checkdate:
PLEASE START LEARNING TO DO SO. FOR YOU OWN GOOD.
And start writing well perhaps, knw d right word to use. No offence plz
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Emdee590(m): 9:32am On Nov 25, 2013
tobechi74: Tired of listenin to various sermon

your action should do the preaching not your lips
u are on point bro
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Twist4u: 9:57am On Nov 25, 2013
Simply logical because scientifically proven that 'it takes few energy 2 smile/love,whereas u nid a lots n lots of energy 2 hate n hatred makes u grow older n ugly.cheers2 love
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Maximus85(m): 10:05am On Nov 25, 2013
ono: After the terrible ordeal I went through earlier this year in the hands of loved ones, I sought for ways to have peace with myself and them. So far, it has been futile. But yesterday, the daily verse from the Bible site I read was about forgiving our enemies.

''But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you'' - Luke 6:27.

I was dumbfounded by that verse of the Scripture. For a while, I couldn't think straight. If the Lord had not rescued me from the hands of those people, I probably would be dead meat by now. How is it then that the Lord commanded us to do this? - maybe he wants us to just want him fighting ALL our battles.

Then, I typed the words: ''how to love your enemies'' into google search engine, and several sites popped out - as usual. But I picked this particular one, because after reading through (it's very long but interesting), I got some direction on how to go about it. And it was a sermon on the topic by the famous American Baptist Pastor, Martin Luther King. Now on a second thought, I decided to share with folks on this board. Happy reading - if you can!

I found there's an audio recording of the sermon too - so you can play that back, if you want to listen to it.
http://mlk-kpp01.stanford.edu/index.php/encyclopedia/documentsentry/doc_loving_your_enemies/

what of churches praying for their enemies to die, die, die, fire consume? Are they christians.

As true christians, we are not suppose to have enemies cos we shouldn't hate anyone but those people hating you for the kind of godly life you are living and God's blessings in your life are the enemies we are talking about here.

So we must love them, do good to them and pray for them. Who knows...our good behaviour might prompt them to change from their bad ways.
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Maximus85(m): 10:09am On Nov 25, 2013
pesty100: God forgive my enemies.. Becos i wont

You definitely have people you must have offended as well...they won't forgive you too. And God won't forgive you of ur sins as well. "Forgive us our sins as we forgive those sinning against us"
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by Billygee2u: 10:59am On Nov 25, 2013
ono:

Ironically, this was one of the exact things MLK spoke against!

"Love your enemies." Because if you hate your enemies, you have no way to redeem and to transform your enemies. But if you love your enemies, you will discover that at the very root of love is the power of redemption''

''Another way that you love your enemy is this: When the opportunity presents itself for you to defeat your enemy, that is the time which you must not do it.''

''When you rise to the level of love, of its great beauty and power, you seek only to defeat evil systems. Individuals who happen to be caught up in that system, you love, but you seek to defeat the system''

Very good and interesting. Yes Jesus Christ admonishes us to love them that hate us and pray for their repentance,but I have questions to ask you,(1)who is your real enemy?(2) is Boko Haram enemy?(3) Armed robber in your house to rob? (4)hired killer at the point of killing you? or those who jealous you but can not harm you?those who hate you without looking for a way to kill you ?
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by anytexy: 3:12pm On Nov 25, 2013
well, for me he just stated a fact, but is quite difficult to do, even as a christain. It can only be achieved if every body will love each other, then there will be nothing like enemy at all. Imagine assasins or terorist for no just course kill ur relations or hinder ur promotion which u are due for. Will u feel free to love the person? Your guess is as good as mine. Though, bible itself is contrdictory. Yes, truth.
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by redsun(m): 3:30pm On Nov 25, 2013
How can u love your enemy? You be foool? Your enemy will snap you off at any given chance. It is either you or your enemy.
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by iamdsam: 5:57am On Nov 26, 2013
Ok and noted!
Re: How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. by alorabullet: 1:03pm On Nov 26, 2013
The best way to live a stress free life full of joy and peace is to learn how to forgive even before you are offended.The best way to live a stress free life full of joy and peace is to learn how to forgive even before you are offended.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Artificial Insemination A Sin When Done By A Single Lady?? / Photos From Helen Oritsejafor's Birthday Celebration / Truly, The Forbidden Fruit Is Sex!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.