Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,103 members, 7,811,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:36 PM

Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC (7702 Views)

Arab and Muslim Migration To Europe Is Not A New Phenomenon / Breaking News: Portharcourt In Turmoil Ikwerre Rd A Ghost Town Now / Understanding The Fashola Phenomenon In Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by ujoinme: 2:09am On Nov 24, 2013
The ghost towns of China, Ireland and Spain – full of large empty house estates – may be a phenomenon that is on its way to Africa.Built for people who never move in, they leave those who did with a worthless property they cannot sell. Perched in an isolated spot some 30km (18 miles) outside Angola’s capital, Luanda, Nova Cidade de Kilamba is a brand-new mixed residential development of 750 eight-storey apartment buildings, a dozen schools and more than 100 retail units.

Designed to house up to half a million people when complete, Kilamba has been built by the state-owned China International Trust and Investment Corporation (CITIC) in under three years at a reported cost of $3.5bn (£2.2bn). Spanning 5,000 hectares (12,355 acres), the development is the largest of several new “satellite cities” being constructed by Chinese firms around Angola, and it is believed to be one of the largest new-build projects on the continent.

- See more at: http://www.ugandandiasporanews.com/2012/07/24/bbc-angolas-chinese-built-ghost-town-a-new-phenomenon-in-africa-is-large-empty-housing-estates/#sthash.GUdkbSfl.dpuf

Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by ujoinme: 2:21am On Nov 24, 2013
Should we be building such in Nigeria? Something tell me that projects like this in Nigeria will be a success what do you think?

1 Like

Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by Nobody: 2:23am On Nov 24, 2013
I honestly don't why there has been so much campaign against this so-called "ghost town" in Angola by the British press, to be honest. The utterly racist and bigoted right wing paper, dailymail, covered the same story a few years ago. Now, it's BBC's turn.

Infrastructures are built for future purposes. If they're empty now, that doesn't mean they won't be occupied in the next few years. So what's the fuss about? There are tons of ghost towns and empty houses across the UK as well. Yet some people are still homeless. Angola went through more than 30 years of brutal civil wars and I'm happy with the pace in which the country is growing. Its growth is definitely one of the wonders of the world and the country needs to be lauded for the giant strides it has taken since the end of the civil war.

Viva Angola!!!

12 Likes

Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by ujoinme: 2:44am On Nov 24, 2013
I think that the british press have seen what is in the future of Africa and they are afraid that if most african countries copy the example of Angola that africa will be in the fore front of attaining its goals as an attractive place to live and do business.

And if there is anything that the imperialist are afraid of. It is Africa as and attractive place! they want africa to be and remain a place that must be backwards and feared at all cost, so they can rape the continent and they have done for the past 1000years for its resources.

3 Likes

Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by biafranqueen: 3:11am On Nov 24, 2013
Just a way to discourage investors. But it won't work not when most of the fastest growing economies are from West Africa!

1 Like

Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by RoyalRoy(m): 3:15am On Nov 24, 2013
Truly this is a laudable project from the Angolans. The British and Americans are loosing their relevance in Africa to China so I can't blame them much for running this project down.

Am sure big brother Naija will follow suit soon.

2 Likes

Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by ujoinme: 3:19am On Nov 24, 2013
The british should show where and any project of that magnitude that the have built anywhere in Africa despite all the resources that they have looted in Africa. After many years of slavery they are mad that China which is a new comer in Africa has done more in less than a decade in Africa than the 1000yrs of the european in Africa! Viva China lol

4 Likes

Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by sirrinky: 3:43am On Nov 24, 2013
7th to comment abeg. Just signing my name across post.
Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by sylvar02(m): 3:50am On Nov 24, 2013
It makes sense
Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by Nobody: 4:05am On Nov 24, 2013
This kind of projects will be a major success in nigeria depending on location.without sounding biased,such projects will do better in the southern parts of nigeria if sighted in locations close to major towns like uyo,ph,warri and other areas with economic potential ie sea port,important railway route for transport of goods.
Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by Goddex: 4:42am On Nov 24, 2013
The whites hate Africa and cannot see anything good come out of it.
They have already termed a project that is only 3yrs old a "ghost city" and have started running it down with negative propaganda.

1 Like

Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by iterator25: 4:46am On Nov 24, 2013
This is what Nigeria needs with her forever ballooning populace
Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by Nobody: 4:48am On Nov 24, 2013
British and their propaganda. Planning is the key to development,and which Angola has done.

I believe the whites never wanted Africa development so to say,cos they always show the negativism in any stride we take or achieve..thank God most African countries are beginning to realize that,save for Nigeria.

Long live Africa,long live Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by ba7man(m): 6:23am On Nov 24, 2013
Pls, don't call the West in all this and face the issue on ground. They are only reporting what they see.

For now, the project is a failure because the targeted market can't afford it.....thus rendering it a Ghost city.

If it was in Lagos or Port-Harcourt, it would have been sold out before completion.

We need the clearing out of those locations in Mushin, Oshodi, Ketu etc and replace them with buildings like this.

Former land owners will be entitled to a unit and the rest sold.

Way forward for Lagos urban renewal.

2 Likes

Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by tpia5: 6:34am On Nov 24, 2013
They'll be needed in future.
Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by iterator25: 6:44am On Nov 24, 2013
ba7man: Pls, don't call the West in all this and face the issue on ground. They are only reporting what they see.

For now, the project is a failure because the targeted market can't afford it.....thus rendering it a Ghost city.

If it was in Lagos or Port-Harcourt, it would have been sold out before completion.

We need the clearing out of those locations in Mushin, Oshodi, Ketu etc and replace them with buildings like this.

Former land owners will be entitled to a unit and the rest sold.

Way forward for Lagos urban renewal.
shomolu bariga too
Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by brixton: 7:32am On Nov 24, 2013
We need projects like dis in Nig. We don't av new cities with designs to match modern civilization. The Chinese should come around as we have the populace to fill any new cities
Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by MagicBishop: 8:11am On Nov 24, 2013
Useless BBC report.

Leave Angola alone. What did the British, Europeans or west as a whole do in Africa apart from loot her resources to develop their island and empire grip.

This is why I don't watch any mainstream news outlet.

1 Like

Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by Lusola15: 8:24am On Nov 24, 2013
When are dey coming to build one in Nigeria
Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by MagicBishop: 8:26am On Nov 24, 2013
Lusola15: When are dey coming to build one in Nigeria

definitely not any where in the north or Osun for that matter

1 Like

Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by Afam4eva(m): 8:37am On Nov 24, 2013
I wish this was built in every Nigerian city. This is what we need and not all these ogbanje block of flats that i see everywhere.
Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by sunstyle(m): 8:53am On Nov 24, 2013
That is examples that our leaders are supose to follow, but they will not and because most of us are filled with sentiments, we can't force them to do good things.
Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by sunstyle(m): 9:01am On Nov 24, 2013
I think Eko atlantic is close to that, it is going to be litmus test for Nigeria. If Eko atlantic is successful, then expect several others to spring up in many part of the country. That is why it is good to always suport any laudable project anywhere in Nigeria irespectives whether it's located in my village or urs.

1 Like

Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by Nobody: 9:03am On Nov 24, 2013
ujoinme: Should we be building such in Nigeria? Something tell me that projects like this in Nigeria will be a success what do you think?
the housing deficit in Nigeria is 17m units, it will surely be a success but has to be very affordable.
Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by Symphony007: 9:03am On Nov 24, 2013
African are really insecure and easily confused people. Every poster is busy blasting "foreign media" and ignoring the substance of what they are saying. Are luxury apartments and condo's the most salient things africa need now? How much do those condo's cost? What's the poverty level in angola? Who can afford it? Why can't the government direct investments or partnership to more salient areas like education, food, water, safety nets, low cost housing for the poverty stricken multitude. Blacks have just conditioned their demeanor to look upon themeselves as victims, so whenever stuff is said about you, you attack the foreign media.

1 Like

Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by iterator25: 9:09am On Nov 24, 2013
There's a similar project in Lagos undecided

3 Likes

Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by talktimi(m): 9:11am On Nov 24, 2013
ujoinme: Should we be building such in Nigeria? Something tell me that projects like this in Nigeria will be a success what do you think?
we certainly need projects such as this in Nigeria. At times i laugh at our govt both federal and state when they build a couple of bungalows, show it on the news and pat themselves at the back saying they're providing housing for the masses and i ask myself are these people mad ? There's a lot of land wasting in this country even within our big/developed cities and any serious govt would invite these guys over.
Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by Nobody: 9:13am On Nov 24, 2013
just $3.5bn? How much is/was in our excess crude account, we can build at least 3 of this ,if not 6. Damn I hate this country.

2 Likes

Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by biafranqueen: 9:14am On Nov 24, 2013
Symphony007: African are really insecure and easily confused people. Every poster is busy blasting "foreign media" and ignoring the substance of what they are saying. Are luxury apartments and condo's the most salient things africa need now? How much do those condo's cost? What's the poverty level in angola? Who can afford it? Why can't the government direct investments or partnership to more salient areas like education, food, water, safety nets, low cost housing for the poverty stricken multitude. Blacks have just conditioned their demeanor to look upon themeselves as victims, so whenever stuff is said about you, you attack the foreign media.
They have to start with investors coming into the area to build industries and create jobs so people can be self reliant Africa needs Trade not Aid. Those flats are almost all rented to capacity that is old news almost two years stale!

this project is affordable you have 10 to 30 years to pay it off. So far 70,000 people are in so they have started finishing phase two.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201309140307.html
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-954602
Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by talktimi(m): 9:15am On Nov 24, 2013
Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by biafranqueen: 9:16am On Nov 24, 2013
Obiagelli: just $3.5bn? How much is/was in our excess crude account, we can build at least 3 of this ,if not 6. Damn I hate this country.
that's what I was tripping off an entire city for what it cost some governors to build a bridge and a couple of refurbished roads embarassed. We have to start holding our leaders responsible! Responsible leaders can not lead irresponsible people. We have to hold them accountable!
Re: Angola’s Chinese-built Ghost Town – A New Phenomenon In Africa - BBC by naptu2: 9:23am On Nov 24, 2013
Obiagelli: just $3.5bn? How much is/was in our excess crude account, we can build at least 3 of this ,if not 6. Damn I hate this country.

Don't hate the country. Hate the people that made it the way it is today and those that seek to continue the madness.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Tambuwal Na Nonsense"; Nigerian Presidency Takes Another Swipe At APC Leaders / Photos - See 'THE BEAST' That Was Used To Pick Up Obama At The Airport. / Linda Ikeji Collected N240m From Dasuki? Nigerians React On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.