Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,198 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria (43293 Views)

50 Most Stunning Cornrows Braids For Every Woman (photos) / Afro, Dreadlocks, Low-cut, Cornrows Or Skincut? Which Do You Prefer? / ~ How Long Do You Keep Your Weaves, Braids & Cornrows~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by c0dec(m): 12:39pm On Jun 15, 2006
Cornrows are used by people of African ancestery in many different regions of the world. However, some controversy over them has emerged in Nigeria, where hair braiding among men is considered a sign of femininity or homosexuality. [1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornrows

True?
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by Seun(m): 12:58pm On Jun 15, 2006
Football hairdo alarm in Nigeria

Attempts are gathering pace to stop young Nigerian footballers from wearing hair braids, dreadlocks and earrings.

Many of Nigeria's top footballers, including their captain Jay-Jay Okocha and top striker Nwankwo Kanu, have their hair braided, but some football officials seem to have had enough.

One senior football official has ordered the removal of any unacceptable players at an upcoming junior tournament.

He said their behaviour was not culturally acceptable and promoted homosexuality.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3694778.stm

Men, see how the homophobes are dragging Nigeria's name through the mud!
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by my2cents(m): 8:50pm On Jun 15, 2006
What part of "African ancestry"? I can tell you definitely not Nigerian. I am, for the record, an opponent of male hair-braiding - I didn't grow up around it and so am not used to it. The worst ones are the ones like make you wonder if a chicken, rather than a human, braided it LOL

Sporting a rasta style is a different thing though - it denotes a religion/following and it looks natural (as a matter of fact, it is cheesy). Braiding just looks too feminine to rock my boat smiley
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by IAH(f): 8:54pm On Jun 15, 2006
my2cents:

What part of "African ancestry"? I can tell you definitely not Nigerian.

Definitely Nigerian.smiley Male Sango worshippers of Yorubaland are/were known to braid their hair all to the back i.e. All-back cornrows. (Exactly as it is in the picture above)
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by my2cents(m): 8:59pm On Jun 15, 2006
IAH,

and where r those pple now? wink As a christian, knowing what u just told me, I would definitely not braid my hair, as doing so, as narrow-minded as it may sound, would mean I am supporting the sango worshippers lifestyle (I can just imagine the feathers I have ruffled with that statement grin).

In retrospect, I should modify my post to say, it isn't common to those in the Akwa Ibom area of the country. My bad wink
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by 1ofall(f): 9:54pm On Jun 15, 2006
Who was it that said -what is in a person's head is more important than what is on it(or not as the case may be!)
most hairstyles mean different things in different cultures, and nothing in some, so what's the fuss??
Shebi rasta/dreadlocks denote madness in some places? and in some cultures it is related to tradional worship, nothing to do with christianity.
As for the homosexualism and homophobia that is engulfing Nigeria, well, we no sabi where dey pain us na im make us dey pursue smoke!
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 10:22pm On Jun 15, 2006
STupid ignorant people. Arrant nonsense.

This kind of news annoy me sef. Gahh lee, especially the one with the footballers. Arrant Nonsense!
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by ikamefa(f): 10:56pm On Jun 15, 2006
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by chinani(f): 11:42pm On Jun 15, 2006
When I hear controversy about men's hairstyles I think: homophobia. angry

When I hear controversy about footballer's hairstyles I think: match fixing. wink

Hatas throwing salt in the game!
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by shotta(m): 2:20am On Jun 16, 2006
i sport a low cut but the braids and stuff dont really bother me
but if you a guy and you start putting weave on then something else is happening
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by iice(f): 2:33am On Jun 16, 2006
1ofall has summed it up, it doesnt matter whats on the head, its whats in it that matters, but for me i dig braids on dudes and i love Jay Jay just the way he is,
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by Moukee(m): 9:20am On Jun 16, 2006
I wear dreadlocks, but I'm not gay. Before the dreadlocks, I used to braid my hair. And because I do not want to be associated with anything gay, I have refused to wear a pink shirt my girlfriend bought for me. Sometimes these crazy baldheads want to do everything humanly possible to bring down the trendsetters because they don't have what it takes.
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by oluyoko(f): 1:18pm On Jun 16, 2006
personally i do not like men with braided hair. it is a bit too much for me. his hair might look nicer than mine. and we cannot have that.

I know that some people in Nigeria are homophobic, but to each his own as i always say. i am not condoning homosexuality. i think it is sordid. and we also have to consider the fact that the people who made the statements are the older generation where things are black and white. there is no grey area. i personally do not think braiding of hair promotes homosexuality, but if they feel that it does, well people need to abide by their rules. they are the leaders and we need to respect their authority.

I like the man's thinking to an extent. just because other countries allow their player to do it, does not mean we should follow suit. if the whole world want to jump of a bridge, you are not morally obliged to do the same. use your head, that is why God gave it to you. there is a brain in there for a reason. think people.
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by Bandele(m): 6:21pm On Jun 18, 2006
I come from the Caribbean. And its not gay to have your hair braided.But if you're a man.Its a major no no to have a weave in your hair.
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by Seun(m): 6:52pm On Jun 18, 2006
his hair might look nicer than mine. and we cannot have that.
Bloody female supremacist sexist piglet woman. angry angry We men deserve equal rights to beauty.
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by Rhodalyn(f): 7:05pm On Jun 18, 2006
angry angry Seun!! that is Sooo not Gentlemanly Of U!! angry angry not that i expect anything better!!!!! U Saying that to a lady?? what?? shocked shocked shocked talk of an @$$hole! lipsrsealed

ok, here we go, U too have this! angry angry angry

Bloody male Son Of a gun Ugly love-vendor thuggie man angry angry we women deserve equal right to insults on the Admin! grin grin !
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by mamaput(f): 8:05pm On Jun 18, 2006
It just looks irresponsible on a man.
I man with braids looks to me like someone that dose not want to grow up. peter pan.
that thing should stop withabout 20
Its like me making my haie pink
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by oluyoko(f): 3:19pm On Jun 20, 2006
Seun:

Bloody female supremacist sexist piglet woman. angry angry We men deserve equal rights to beauty.

i think Seun need to relax. and who are you calling supremacist and sexist?! boy you need to recognise!!!!!!!
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by Drusilla(f): 12:56am On Jun 21, 2006
Mamaput,

You make a good point. I think it is more related to age for men.

In America, braids are actually an occaision for a women to show her love for her man.

It is considered an erotic thing for a man to sit between a woman's legs all night and get his hair braided.

If a man can get you to braid his hair, he knows that he has you.
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by Drusilla(f): 1:03am On Jun 21, 2006
You will see young ladies volunteer to braid some young man's hair.

The young man will shake his head -- no, I want so and so to braid my hair.

To which the girl being courted will be like "I am not braiding your hair. You move to much or your too tender headed."

The guy will respond "I ain't getting my hairbraided by nobody else but you."

The excuse of getting your hairbraided is a good way to get to know somebody you want to be in a relationship with.

Consequently, the excuse of " I was just getting my hair braided" is also used to "play off" that the man was cheating or trying to cheat.
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by Drusilla(f): 1:05am On Jun 21, 2006
By the way, young people generally just call it "braiding" or "french braiding".

Generally the term 'cornrows' is reserved for whites or older black people.
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by anton(m): 4:03am On Jun 21, 2006
LOL grin

What's really funny is that codec couldn't find a better picture grin grin grin
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by Sista(f): 11:25pm On Nov 19, 2006
Hair Braiding is an African thing for a men or a woman. In various parts of Africa, women shave all of their hair off to become bald while the men wear their hair in beautiful long or short braids and cornrows. Cornrows, braids is not a gay thing if a man is wearing them although I am pretty sure some homosexuals indulge in beautifying their heads with braids.

@Anton

What's really funny is that codec couldn't find a better picture Grin Grin Grin

I agree with you on that one, this man looks like his head can barely hold a braid. Have the braids been pulling out his hair because I see more scalp than braids grin
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by bradidge: 3:07pm On Jan 19, 2007
To My2Cents,

Something you said in your replies kinda bugged me, you "said" you were a christian and that you would never have your hair in braids and stuff cause you'd be supporting their religion, i say to you shame on you i myself am a christian but if you were you would know that in the bible it tells us that god judges whats inside of us not by what we look so he's not going to burn you in hell for a stupid haircut and i'm pretty sure 1 000 000 % of the world would agree with me it's only if you think in your head nope god doesn't exist i'm following this other one and you mean that you don't want to know him or follow him then your in trouble but i say have some fun and loosen up
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by kellorah: 2:24am On Jul 02, 2007
why can't we let people be? shocked
Na wa o!!!

guys, if you want to braid your hair, feel free. Whatever happened to Human Rights?
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by Chiori(m): 1:23am On Aug 08, 2007
While I can't see myself plaiting or braiding my hair, I will not condemn anyone doing it. But it really doesn't take anyone anywhere. You can't carry such a hairdo in the corporate world, that would only drive away potential investors and clients.
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by lateefah79: 12:47am On Aug 11, 2007
bariding of hair or cornrol has bin in existence ,way back to history,women wore lali,instead of pollish now that all is mordern,pple av forgotten.ashà ati ogè aye atijo.
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by lateefah79: 12:49am On Aug 11, 2007
error,
BRAIDING I MEANT,
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by shadex1(m): 9:10pm On Aug 18, 2007
@seun
thanx man.we deserve equal rights to beauty and to dose people who oppose to mail braidin go check out the picture in my profile,d one wiv d blue top.yea dats me n i got braids n if u want to see a more annoyin view i can show u.i do wateva i like to my hair as long as it looks good n i feel it looks good.i got my braids on for a short while but dont mean i wont do it again when i feel like so, n someone here said a guy braidin his hair is like a her dying her hair pink n it shows he doesnt want to grow up.so wat bout them other celebrities we watch n emulate their styles dont they have braids on at their old ages.u can hate braids now but i wont stop braiding my hair
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by omogenaija(f): 12:15am On Aug 19, 2007
Seun:

if your going to quote someone @ least let the users know who it is ,  and whats the sense in deleting a post and then quoting it ,   angry angry angry angry
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 23, 2007
No matter what anyone says, hair braiding is not for men.
Re: Cornrows (Hair Braiding) In Nigeria by TOYOSI20(f): 6:49am On Nov 12, 2008
Nice, I learnt how to braid in high school, still do it all the time for my friends.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See How Makeup Transform Women / Crazy Aso Ebi Styles: Who Is To Blame? / German Law Student Kicked Out Of Gym Because Her 'revealing' Crop Top (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.