Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,653 members, 7,813,200 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? (8475 Views)

Nollywood At It Again!!! Caption This(photo) / Photo: Nollywood At It Again' COMING TO AMERICA' Nigeria Version / What Are Your Most Memorable Scenes From A Nollywood Film? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Boss13: 3:37pm On Dec 02, 2013
The script is wack
Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Fabjay(m): 3:37pm On Dec 02, 2013
and please.........we are tired of d film of prince and princess....one kingdom and anoda kingdom... A prince falling in love wit a poor maiden n d king or queen is against it.... And at d end ... Dey finally accepted........u guys need to be more epic in ur movies.... Give us something dat'll make us glued to our couch and watch in excitement and suspense.......

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Dec 02, 2013
My Advice Be Say Them Should STOP Killing Time!!
Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Dec 02, 2013
They should stp having 4 plates jst for a single movie,,,also having different name 4 a movie eg 7dangers 2 plates , 7 sorrows 2plates... It makes it childish sometimes cos memory of d plates will be initially filled with irrelevant adverts....thank u

1 Like

Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Dec 02, 2013
My advice;

Focus on QUALITY rather than QUANTITY

Invest in the business; stop buying expensive personal items, buy up to date movie production equipment.

Don't go into movie production with a degree in education; invest in professional courses, they have them online. Read books that are related to your field, and make sure you work with professionals.

ABOVE ALL, please they should stop hovering around the same story line. Think outside the box and create memorable stories. There are countless of untold stories. Be imaginative and don't be in a hurry to shot a movie. Every area needs to be touched; from the costume to location, sound, editor, camera man, cast...

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Ikengawo: 3:42pm On Dec 02, 2013
Jade William: I watch hollywood movies too&i won't deny dat hollywood spend a lot of money producing their movies but we shldn't compare Nollywood wit dem cos
1). Hollywood is far older than Nollywood&more advanced in technology cos they're lik d 1st world country while Nigeria is a 3rd world country.
2). They hav a lot of sponsors.Somone can decide. 2bring out $1 million or more 2invest in a movie.How much does Nollywood producers get 2mak their movies?
3). Their govt is fully involved in their entertainment industry unlik Nollywood where d govt doesn't c any need 2invest in d industry
4). They makes lots of gain frm their movies unlike Nollywood where these Alaba boys ar spoiling show 4Nollywood producers.

There're so many other reasons whch I can't think of right now but Nollywood ppl ar trying.

the US government is NOT involved in hollywood what so ever. i think we overestimate the amount the us government involves its self with the development of america, but from my own experience i've seen that everything in america is handled by common americans not the government, and this includes movies.

5 Likes

Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Ruq: 3:43pm On Dec 02, 2013
They should stop making movies.

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 02, 2013
A little bit more creativity.

It isn't always the same set of actors who must be village elders. Or when they are going for traditional wedding, only 3 members of the man's family follow him to his bride's place.

Also a little bit more imagination. A few directors actually are making advances in the area of storylines, but far too little.
A lot of Nollywood is mostly on-the-fly production.

Also there needs to be more professionalism in the subsector; from the actors and directors to the hands: props, location manager, logistics, ets.

We can't just be pushing out quantity with very little quantity films in return.
Holly wood has been dishing out great movies from the 40s, movies we still watch them today, Cassablanca and Gone With The Wind.
Why can't we say the same about Nollywood even after 20 years?
Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by fabulousdame(f): 3:53pm On Dec 02, 2013
even if dey re acting fiction, they should act it in a way dat people will doubt. see hollywood films like small ville, supernatural,vampire diaries, someone would tink these tins re actually happening with the setting.. i advise nollywood to work on the actors/actresses and their costume

they shud cut d prince en princess crap en move into crime and detective stories for a while

they should work on their soundtrack
they should stop giving the audience wat dey expect to see at the end(means they should give more suspense to their movies)

then i can start watching their movies
Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by chincent: 3:54pm On Dec 02, 2013
The screen colour production is too poor, just like NTA screen colour,poor gun shot,Police investigation is zero,and no good communication gadget for investigation and situation report etc etc etc etc etc
Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Stundey(m): 3:58pm On Dec 02, 2013
Nollywood ke Ok ooo, i get advise i want yan them
1. Dey should change their tactics cos every time i watched their movies i always predict where the film would end before the film even end.
2. Na this one i want make them change before anything
Unclad naani
unclad mixture plenty for hollywood and since their target is to be like hollywood, they suppose to have started real unclad film
Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by jayAjoku(m): 4:00pm On Dec 02, 2013
1)they should seek the help of successful hollywood producers 2) they should start introducing teenage and child actors into movies not allowing overgrown actor to play their parts its embarrassing
3)they should think up better names or titles for movies titles that would captivate the average movie watcher
4)change the mindset of the movies we are tired of knowin the same manner every movie wil eventually end
Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Chukkasy(m): 4:03pm On Dec 02, 2013
Baba_Eleko: They should merge together and make sensible movies worthy of giving Hollywood a run for their money.
if I hear!!!!!!
Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Dec 02, 2013
they should learn from video directors like sesan and others
Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Chukkasy(m): 4:08pm On Dec 02, 2013
when was the last time I watched Nigerian movie?
Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Amanyanabo(m): 4:10pm On Dec 02, 2013
Well i think they should improve on their quality and they should also try to showcase some of the tourist attractions of Nigeria like the mambilla plateau,ikogosi,gurara fall etc

1 Like

Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by ATMC(f): 4:24pm On Dec 02, 2013
Jade William:
There's nothing wrong wit dat.I don't want 2start mentionin Hollywood movies where they did d same.As an actor or actress,u can play any role.So ar u sayin For example somone whose husbnd isn't dead in real life shldn't play a widow in a movie?Get real
he is saying that they should get teenage actors and actresses and give them such roles...just because hollywood does it doesnt mean its standard?
Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Dec 02, 2013
I don't watch nollywood movie...
Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Leobreezy(m): 4:51pm On Dec 02, 2013
They should STOP making action movies, Please!!! *on my knees*
Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by IamSylva(m): 4:55pm On Dec 02, 2013
Advice?.. Oh yes i av one advise 4 them.. They shld
QUIT

1 Like

Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Gen2jaynee: 4:56pm On Dec 02, 2013
Jade William: Nollywood is 20 years!
What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers?

Pls if you havn't got anything good to say, don't derail the thread.
I started this thread hoping dat our voices would be heard through one way or the other by Nollywood producers and film makers in general.

Even the bible said a prophet is not recognized in his own town. We Nigerians look down on Nollywood movies while people outside Nigeria appreciate Nigerian movies a lot. I remember in Bigbrother Africa, how some housemates were talkin about how obssessed they are with Nollywood movies & so on.

Nollywood movies aren't that bad but as we celebrate Nollywood at 20, let's talk about how to improve our industry rather than castigate our industry.
Pls only positive comments.
We're tired of hearing about the mistakes observed in Nollywood movies.
Which way forward?

how much dem pay you?
Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by kolidave: 4:58pm On Dec 02, 2013
jayAjoku: 1)they should seek the help of successful hollywood producers 2) they should start introducing teenage and child actors into movies not allowing overgrown actor to play their parts its embarrassing
3)they should think up better names or titles for movies titles that would captivate the average movie watcher
4)change the mindset of the movies we are tired of knowin the same manner every movie wil eventually end
holywood is still too high for them, how about ghollywood or even bollywood. They make better films than holywood.
Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by skullz: 5:00pm On Dec 02, 2013
They should work on their storyline, tbh most of the movies are pathetic....this their king,queen,prince shi.t is annoying for christsake we in the 21st century. angry
Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by justicejaco(m): 5:06pm On Dec 02, 2013
they shud giv young individuals nd aspiring actors more room 2 showcase their talents,by giving dem challenging roles to play in movies...#itoowant2beastar
Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Dec 02, 2013
- Dish away the 'Giffy' mentality and take out time to draw up action filled, suspense reeking movies.

- Feature International Actors n' Actresses.
Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Orikinla(m): 5:16pm On Dec 02, 2013
We need to avoid contradictions and be able to give recognition to those who deserve them for what they have truly achieved in both Nollywood and Kannywood that is in fact older than Nollywood. And lest we forget, "Living in Bondage' did not launch the Nigerian home entertainment industry of Nollywood, and it is not the first best selling home video movie in Nigeria.
Eddie Ugbomah’s movie “The Great Attempt” (1989) was also released in video and heaven knows that Late Alade Armoire who produced Ekun, Omije, Obirin Asiko, Ayo ni o, Adun, Orire and other commercially successful home videos between 1985 and 1991 is the father of Nollywood and not Ken Nnebue with his “Living in Bondage”.
Moreover chicanery and tribal bigotry must stop in Nollywood.
Nollywood has become synonymous with the Nigerian film industry and so we must not turn it into sectional enterprise of nepotism and tribal-racism.

We must reject all lies and fraudulent practices now common in Nollywood, from hijackers of film festivals and awards to shameless liars distorting the history of the Nigerian film industry, because of their intellectual ignorance, greed and selfish opportunism.

See exclusive video interview with Ghanaian Nollywood star Majid Michel on the Success of Nollywood on http://nigeriantimes..com/2013/12/majid-michel-celebrates-success-of.html

Then Kunle Afolayan sent the following link on Dictionary of African Filmmakers by Roy Armes that is a must read on the facts of Nollywood and African cinema.
http://books.google.com.ng/books?id=88sTRTl6yKwC&pg=PA227&lpg=PA227&dq=adeyemi+afolayan&source=bl&ots=VqaWIMNDXh&sig=e55gNXi1213EPPqi_ITyIsXzcHA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=F5qbUq7zGMHU0QWMroCQDQ&ved=0CCkQ6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q=adeyemi%20afolayan&f=false

3 Likes

Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by kalimera101: 5:20pm On Dec 02, 2013
1. There should be something like acting schools that will teach the actors and actresses how to properly interprete any script they are given. Including understanding the proper body language, voices or tone of voice to use.
2. They should please and please reduce the length of the length of their Dramas.
3. They should make movies under a defined genre.
4. They should use a lot of time to plan, map out good settings for the movie as well as scout for actors and actresses THROUGH THE ABOVE MENTIONED ACTING SCHOOLS. Because making a movie is totally different from presenting a drama.
5. The actors and actresses should take a lot of time to study their script and grow into them so that the role they play will be like second nature to them and not act like they are reciting a poem in church.
I guess that's all for now. I recommend people to watch the movie THE FIGURINE starring Ramsey Noah and odas I don't know. The movie makers really tried, every1 played their part excellently. The suspense was on spot, I couldn't even discover the ending like I usually did with Nollywood movies.
+one more thing, I don't want to see people like Mr. Ibu acting again.

1 Like

Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 02, 2013
@OP. It's like i'm the only 1 who really understood what u really want achieve with this ur thread. Nollywood is gud no doubt, i mean the new Nollywood, but there's a 'but,' but b4 i'll continue with the 'but', like 70% that commented are still into old Nollywood movies (alaba), i watches them but i can't remember the time i finished or bought one. We have bunch of experienced filmmakers in Nollywood, not our popular film makers, rising film makers that seeks finance, surf thru youtube and check out short films shot by Nigerians, talent boku. The only thing we've improved in for this past yrs are shooting quality and expensive pictures, and casting foreign acts. But we still lacks good story, directing, characters, respect (apart from yoruba movies), editing and the important of all time.
STORY - In every good production, there's a great writer behind it, bad storyline makes a director to look bad as if he knws nothing abt directing. Nollywood's problem is that they don't respect writers for their raw talent rather they'll prefer that guy that wrote a blockbuster ten years ago, whc is bad. Good writers churn out rubbish scripts coz they're not paid well, instead of writing 1 to 3 great scripts a yr they'll write 30 bad, coz they need more of the lil cash.
DIRECTING - our directors sucks, only few are getting there. The same style and pattern a Nollywood director used in his shots ten years ago is an exact same thing this year, no improvement (especially in alaba movies). E.g. Assasin's hideout are always in an uncompleted building. Even if the wacky writer wrote so, can't he change it as it has become our signature.
CHARACTERS - Hand picked characters no audition. Check out where a budget for a movie is 3mil, and movie has mercy, tonto, yul, ini, nuella, patience etc. The character's cost can be estimated to be 2mil+, how much will remain for other cast members, crew and post production. They only care abt the known faces even when they'll play only a scene. A low budget means - shooting with low profiled cast and crew.
EDITING - 1 day or 2 to edit the scenes, color, audio etc why won't the product suck.
RESPECT - Since Nollywood stops banning actors that bleeps up, our producers and directors are not respected by our superstars, e.g. A character will be given a role of a wretched maid and she's putting on nails, when ask to remove it she'll refuse, my question is who hire who.
TIME - This is the 'it' of it all. In hollywood they give what is known as 'estimated time' a production might finish, but in Nollywood they give 'exact time' and it's always too short, why so? even undergrads that are aware they'll graduate in 4 or 5yrs, don't actually know the exact year or month they'll def graduate.

Hope this helps.

5 Likes

Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by dailywealth1967: 6:00pm On Dec 02, 2013
i luv nollywood movies.D best & better than chinese,idian,arab movies

1 Like

Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by Chestar5(f): 6:15pm On Dec 02, 2013
they should stop making sound track dat makes us know what will happen in the movie..
Re: Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? by ugojamali(m): 6:21pm On Dec 02, 2013
I love this thread. Kudos to the OP. Kudos to the people that commented. A thing or two can be learnt from your comments.

Truth is, and let this serve as an education for people who have certain misconceptions, Nollywood as it currently is, is funded mostly by individuals who have no technical know how about making movies but who can put up a few million, shoot a movie in a week with Mercy Johnson, edit it and rush it to the market. Its more of business but less of artistry.

And therefore most Nollywood practitioners are made slaves to the demands of the financier. Most directors are dependent on financiers because they cannot fund their movies on the grand scale required of them and to gain film funding from corporate institutions is like an impossible mission to the land of the dead to retrieve some magical sword...

Funding controls quality. Low funding...low quality. So what we should really clamor for is better funding for movies. The average film maker understands how to make a good film. But because of limited funds, he can no longer think outside the box. And that is his downfall... That's my first major point today.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ladi Akeredolu Ale Is Back At Channels Tv News / Gladiator Vs 300 / 23 Best Movies On Netflix You Haven’t Yet Seen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.