Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,699 members, 7,844,306 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This (3098 Views)

Lucky Igbinedion Replies Oshiomole, Names Him “benin City’s Biggest Thief” / Police Arrest Oshiomole's Driver / Oshiomole Buys Chips From Child Who Should Be In School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by Sweetlemon(f): 10:29am On Nov 29, 2013
agabaI23: I am on your side.
The only thing bad was the raw ' go and die'. Laws should be obeyed. No sentiments!!!

Exactly! in fact, Oshiomole would do well if he apologized for the statement ALONE, but the widow equally needs to be punished, then later shown mercy.
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by eddyvilla: 10:32am On Nov 29, 2013
Lets be anlytical as Nigerians,and lets try to be very critical when issues like this comes up. Please kindly take a look on that video,any sane person will be able to decipher that the woman is not a street hawker since the loads of goods she has shows that she just finished getting goods from the market and probably finding a way to get those goods home. Fela in an interview many years back when asked why he didnt sing any song about the crisis then in South Africa said that South Africa and even every other African Country is better than Nigeria because the oppression people in other places experiences are mostly cases of whites oppressing blacks but in Nigeria you see BLACKS OPPRESSING BLACKS. We live in a country where structures are not put in place to help the common man,and when the common man has strived towards achieving a little bit of sustainance even without the help of the Government and without entering into any form of illegality,rubbish such as what Gov. Adams and other political oppressors like him ranging from the President to all the Senators down to the House of Reps and even Local govt Chairmen and others do on a daily basis. I will always say this, we as Nigerians are aware and we are still watching them. A time will soon come in the History of this Country when we will collectively say NO to this BLACK COLONIAL OPPRESSION that we suffer on a daily basis, a time will soon come, when young,old man and woman and even infant child will rise up to say WE ARE TIRED AND WE WILL NO LONGER TAKE THIS FORM OF COLONIALISM ANYMORE. It pains me deeply to write this,my only Prayer to God Almighty through his son Jesus Christ and to the Almigthy Allah through his faithful prophet is that such a time should "if possible" be devoid of blood shed. But that time is so close that i can perceive it. GOD BLESS NIGERIA

2 Likes

Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by Arosa(m): 10:33am On Nov 29, 2013
It's interesting that Africans think that if you are in the position to uphold the law you also have lawful power to abuse the people. undecided We need to change our ways not just Oshomole. angry

1 Like

Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by Nobody: 10:35am On Nov 29, 2013
hi sweetlemon, it's been a while, I honestly didn't want to comment on this topic,
Fact 1: it's absolutely wrong for the Governor to make such comments, he forgot the life of every residents in this state is his priority.

FACT 2: nigerians like to play holy and point fingers, we come across Widows like this or even worse daily and we simply ignore.

FACT 3: if the woman was trading by the road she should be in court by NOW facing charges of endangering her life, her children and other commuters.

1 Like

Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by emiye(m): 10:38am On Nov 29, 2013
I agree with the OP.

Go and die was more like "fucck off" said in anger . " I dont give a damn" statement by mr president also comes to mind
The only way out is an unreserved apology from oshiomole anyways.
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by AdeniyiA(m): 10:39am On Nov 29, 2013
whenever Nigeria is being compared with America, London and other developed countries of responsible and relatively corrupt free leaders, I am always filled anger. did the gov'r build shops and d woman refused to rent it? accepted, the woman was wrong, it was 'wronger' smiley for the gov'r to utter such statement, it's totally unexpected from his person. truly power corrupt, if he were a labour leader, he would be the first to condemn such statement and action.
new name for Oshiomhole = go and die governor

1 Like

Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by jmoore(m): 10:40am On Nov 29, 2013
Sweetlemon:

They might not let the president go scot-free, but I bet with you that they will give more attention to the person who dared to hawk in their streets!

Why don't you just go and try it there, please make sure a Obama is passing by o, then come back here to gist us on your experience?

No one is saying we shouldn't obey the law. Nigerians are not angry that her goods were seized. Nigerians are angry that he said Go and die

Sweetlemon: Exactly! in fact, Oshiomole would do well if he apologized for the statement ALONE, but the
widow equally needs to be punished, then later shown mercy.
Before you recommend punishment to your Governor please set up a committee to know if she is a hawker or not.
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by Sweetlemon(f): 10:40am On Nov 29, 2013
Obiagelli: hi sweetlemon, it's been a while, I honestly didn't want to comment on this topic,
Fact 1: it's absolutely wrong for the Governor to make such comments, he forgot the life of every residents in this state is his priority.

FACT 2: nigerians like to play holy and point fingers, we come across Widows like this or even worse daily and we simply ignore.

FACT 3: if the woman was trading by the road she should be in court by NOW facing charges of endangering her life, her children and other commuters.

Chop knuckle.

People say she wasn't hawking. Then what else was she doing? Have you forgotten that street hawkers have a place where they keep the bulk of their goods in the corner of a street where they come to take more goods after selling the rest?

Gosh! I don't know whether to call the reaction of people sentiments or just plain over-sabi.
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by JulianBond007: 10:41am On Nov 29, 2013
That the poor widow whose wares hardly aggregate N5,000 has flouted the state law is not in doubt. In most cities, government forbids displaying wares on major roads, and this, to ensure smooth flow of traffic. Such obtains in Lagos, Benin, Ibadan and most urban cities.

Law enforcement officials such as KAI in Lagos have the duty to ensure compliance although residents believe that the officials are often high-handed in their approach.

However, in this case, the utterances of Gov Adams Oshiomhole of Edo state has called to question the attitude of those in government as the Edo's No 1 citizen, and servant of his people, lashed out at the erring but poor widow.

"You are a widow, go and die" is one statement too insensitive and uncouth to say.
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by Sweetlemon(f): 10:41am On Nov 29, 2013
emiye: I agree with the OP.

Go and die was more like "fucck off" said in anger . " I dont give a damn" statement by mr president also comes to mind
The only way out is an unreserved apology from oshiomole anyways.

chop knuckle
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by Sweetlemon(f): 10:45am On Nov 29, 2013
JulianBond007:
That the poor widow whose wares hardly aggregate N5,000 has flouted the state law is not in doubt. In most cities, government forbids displaying wares on major roads, and this, to ensure smooth flow of traffic. Such obtains in Lagos, Benin, Ibadan and most urban cities.

Law enforcement officials such as KAI in Lagos have the duty to ensure compliance although residents believe that the officials are often high-handed in their approach.

However, in this case, the utterances of Gov Adams Oshiomhole of Edo state has called to question the attitude of those in government as the Edo's No 1 citizen, and servant of his people, lashed out at the erring but poor widow.

"You are a widow, go and die" is one statement too insensitive and uncouth to say.

VERY insensitive and uncouth.

But I guess having hundreds of foster kids is also insensitive!

What I am saying is this, before you judge someone, look at his/her past deeds and compare to the present deed. Also consider the reason why the person acted that way.

I repeat. Oshiomole badly needs anger management classes.
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by Sweetlemon(f): 10:48am On Nov 29, 2013
[quote author=jmoore]

No one is saying we shouldn't obey the law. Nigerians are not angry that her goods were seized. Nigerians are angry that he said Go and die

A
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by Sweetlemon(f): 10:49am On Nov 29, 2013
jmoore:

Before you recommend punishment to your Governor please set up a committee to know if she is a hawker or not.

nd I am saying that you are attaching too much drama to it, making a man who has hundreds of foster kids look like a demon simply because he couldn't control his tongue!
That's just my point. Don't you gerrit?
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by excelAGR42: 11:15am On Nov 29, 2013
@op no amount of cosmetic remedy can undo this level of wickedness & hate. I don't think that woman is even happy hawking or trading in the street. What social welfare scheme has the comrade gov. Put in place since the inception of his two term administration to assist the poor and vulnerable people in Edo state?
Is it a crime to be poor in Edo state? Since he came into office how many industries has he been able to attract to Edo state that can provide employment to the poor people of Edo state?
This simply reminds me of a song by the greatest Afrobeat legend:

"If my eyes no deceive me...

& the things my ears dey hear...

I sorry sorry oooo,

I sorry for nigeria” - FELA KUTI

2 Likes

Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by Nobody: 11:46am On Nov 29, 2013
The bone of contention is the 'go and die statement'. Look at other threads on nairaland and imagine the level of abuse Oshiomole has received,so also President Jonathan. So if you are concerned about the utterance, grin grin grin then kindly be honest to yourself and tell the world that you have not issued insults since the year begun, to anyone.

What I see is an opportunity for the society and civil society in particular to take interest in this woman's case. But who are we fooling?

Who is deceiving who? The average Nigerian is a loud mouth, low on action. It is a fact that we are lacking social structure to take care of the less privileged but nobody and I repeat nobody is bothered as long as we are not directly affected by the problem.

IT IS BETTER TO HAVE A STRUCTURE THAT CAN TAKE CARE OF ALL WIDOWS NATIONWIDE, RATHER THAN TRYING TO DEMONIZE A MAN WITH FLAWS LIKE YOU AND ME.

But will Nigerians listen and act ?
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by femyomotola(m): 11:50am On Nov 29, 2013
Mr. Solicitor! Go and die!!!
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by Sweetlemon(f): 11:58am On Nov 29, 2013
lari03: The bone of contention is the 'go and die statement'. Look at other threads on nairaland and imagine the level of abuse Oshiomole has received,so also President Jonathan. So if you are concerned about the utterance, grin grin grin then kindly be honest to yourself and tell the world that you have not issued insults since the year begun, to anyone.

What I see is an opportunity for the society and civil society in particular to take interest in this woman's case. But who are we fooling?

Who is deceiving who? The average Nigerian is a loud mouth, low on action. It is a fact that we are lacking social structure to take care of the less privileged but nobody and I repeat nobody is bothered as long as we are not directly affected by the problem.

IT IS BETTER TO HAVE A STRUCTURE THAT CAN TAKE CARE OF ALL WIDOWS NATIONWIDE, RATHER THAN TRYING TO DEMONIZE A MAN WITH FLAWS LIKE YOU AND ME.

But will Nigerians listen and act ?

Chop knuckle jare
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by jmaine: 12:01pm On Nov 29, 2013
Oshiomhole even made more silly statements like ===> "You say your husband Na policeman, before him die, him no bin dey kill people for road . . . shocked
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by jmaine: 12:10pm On Nov 29, 2013
brosss: Poster.
By your reasoning I am very positive that you didn't watch the clip. Or you are probably too one sided. I am yet to seee any street hawker in present day Nigeria that hawks well packaged cartons of goods and juice still very much in its carton. Sealed bags of well packaged chips and snacks. She wasn't a hawker, her only crime is that she doesn't have her own car to transport her goods. Her only crime is because she was a poor widow with no defence.
They were hawkers in the clip, (pure water sellers and others) those weren't attacked because they were light and could run. Oshomole has too much wrong doings in his hands. He has just shot himself in the foot. Watch the clip again.
I wish an activist would press charges on her behalf... Not because she was by the road side, but that her fundamental human rights of freedom of movement withing tthe soveriegn state of Nigeria has been compromised.

Correct post . . . . .
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by Marotzke(m): 12:30pm On Nov 29, 2013
Sweetlemon:

The Americans will probably be more interested in knowing why the hell the woman was hawking in their streets in the first place! Those people don't take these things lightly at all!

From that video, I don't think she was just caught in the exercise. She was indeed hawking and we all know that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way saying Oshiomole is justified, I thought I have written countless times that he needs anger management classes? What I am saying is that you guys are being far too sentimental about this. Forgetting the wider sphere of this issue. That's all
just go and die.
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by naptu2: 12:36pm On Nov 29, 2013
Obiagelli: hi sweetlemon, it's been a while, I honestly didn't want to comment on this topic,

+100

1 Like

Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by 3kay945(m): 12:45pm On Nov 29, 2013
Sweetlemon: Ok. Ok. I saw the video of how a governor brutally told a hapless, struggling, street hawker who happens to be a widow to "go and die" seizing all her goods from her in such a cold manner. I was like, "haba Oshiobaba, e neva reach to die nau!" Then I come to work this morning and everyone is discussing it, I log on to face book, twitter, and now Nairaland and everybody is discussing it. My BBM contacts are BCing the video and everyone is expressing their disgust and labeling him names from wicked to inhuman to insensitive.

Now, let us remove the sentiments from our minds and delve deeper into this thing.

1. I saw someone's comment somewhere where he said that he will send the video to BBC to show them how our leaders treat the poor and I was like "really?"
You honestly believe that David Cameron, The queen of England or even Obama would have given a hoot about the tears of a widow who broke a forbidden law? Have you ever been to oyibo land? Do you see hawkers on the streets?? Oh ok, why not advice the widow to and hawk on the streets of London nau, lets see if they will not arrest her!
Why do you think oyibo land is like that? because their laws are blind! They don't give a hoot if you are rich, poor, blind, crippled, lost, sad, happy, or suicidal, YOU MUST FACE THE LAW! They can sha help assist you with social services AFTER you have faced the initial music.

2. Is this not the same Oshiomole who gave scholarship to a stowaway kid (another law breaker) some months back? And I hear he also has hundreds of "adopted" children (total strangers) whom he caters for from his own pocket. So how can that same man be called "wicked" or "inhuman"? Don't you think you are being too quick to judge him??

See, people say stuff at the height of their anger and we all know that Oshiobaba spits fire when he's at his peak (something he needs to work on because it's really not nice) But then again, will you label someone because of one bad thing he did even if he has done 100 good things?

Thus here is my verdict. Oshiomole needs to enroll for anger management courses. He also needs to learn social graces and etiquette. As a public figure, he needs to watch and shut his trap more often and learn how to interact with diverse people.

To me he still remains a man no nonsense man who is also passionate about what he believes in. A man who if you are opportune to encounter, could make you smile to the bank or wherever provided you are at your best behavior!

People need to learn how to read between the lines, look DEEPER at all sides of an issue without sentiments before casting judgement on people for their actions.

Cheers!

I don't care if the woman cry him river or even blood.. she has to be punished according to the law. YES! I agree. but am angry with the Governor utterance. damnnnn
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by 3kay945(m): 12:45pm On Nov 29, 2013
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by tellwisdom: 12:50pm On Nov 29, 2013
Op. go and die angry

2 Likes

Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by IAMBREEZY: 1:11pm On Nov 29, 2013
bleeped up governor,he should go and die jare
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by goldfish80(m): 1:14pm On Nov 29, 2013
Is Oshomole a member of MFM?
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by Nobody: 1:18pm On Nov 29, 2013
I feel like strangulating the obnoxious bitch that opened this ìdiotic thread.

I hate it when people misuse their education to concoct specious arguments in support of atrocities. You cannot find ANY justification for a governor telling a downtrodden woman to "go and die". It is irrelevant whether she was a hawker or not, or whether she broke laws or not. Order her arrest if you must, but openly making such a barbaric and insensitive statement is inexcusable.

If you have even a modicum of sense, you would easily realise that the public outcry is entirely about the demonic 'go and die' retort, not about whether or not the woman should have been left alone. How hard is that to understand? In that context, what is the point of this daft thread?

4 Likes

Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by Nobody: 1:26pm On Nov 29, 2013
Sweetlemon: Ok. Ok. I saw the video of how a governor brutally told a hapless, struggling, street hawker who happens to be a widow to "go and die" seizing all her goods from her in such a cold manner. I was like, "haba Oshiobaba, e neva reach to die nau!" Then I come to work this morning and everyone is discussing it, I log on to face book, twitter, and now Nairaland and everybody is discussing it. My BBM contacts are BCing the video and everyone is expressing their disgust and labeling him names from wicked to inhuman to insensitive.

Now, let us remove the sentiments from our minds and delve deeper into this thing.

1. I saw someone's comment somewhere where he said that he will send the video to BBC to show them how our leaders treat the poor and I was like "really?"
You honestly believe that David Cameron, The queen of England or even Obama would have given a hoot about the tears of a widow who broke a forbidden law? Have you ever been to oyibo land? Do you see hawkers on the streets?? Oh ok, why not advice the widow to and hawk on the streets of London nau, lets see if they will not arrest her!
Why do you think oyibo land is like that? because their laws are blind! They don't give a hoot if you are rich, poor, blind, crippled, lost, sad, happy, or suicidal, YOU MUST FACE THE LAW! They can sha help assist you with social services AFTER you have faced the initial music.

2. Is this not the same Oshiomole who gave scholarship to a stowaway kid (another law breaker) some months back? And I hear he also has hundreds of "adopted" children (total strangers) whom he caters for from his own pocket. So how can that same man be called "wicked" or "inhuman"? Don't you think you are being too quick to judge him??

See, people say stuff at the height of their anger and we all know that Oshiobaba spits fire when he's at his peak (something he needs to work on because it's really not nice) But then again, will you label someone because of one bad thing he did even if he has done 100 good things?

Thus here is my verdict. Oshiomole needs to enroll for anger management courses. He also needs to learn social graces and etiquette. As a public figure, he needs to watch and shut his trap more often and learn how to interact with diverse people.

To me he still remains a man no nonsense man who is also passionate about what he believes in. A man who if you are opportune to encounter, could make you smile to the bank or wherever provided you are at your best behavior!

People need to learn how to read between the lines, look DEEPER at all sides of an issue without sentiments before casting judgement on people for their actions.

Cheers!

Since there is nothing wrong in what the Governor said .GO AND DIE!!!HOPE U R HAPPY
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by debetmx(m): 1:42pm On Nov 29, 2013

Cheers!

If we swear for you, your situation shall be worse than that of the lady in the video. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. What is the minimum wage in Edo State? What social services has Oshiomole put in place for his people?

You come to NL to spew rubbish from that grimy mouth of yours. Comparing Nigeria to UK is totally idiotic. Would you compare the standard of living in Edo state to London or Plymouth?

Oshiomole gave scholarship with his personal money or our money?

With due respect, it appears to me you are probably one those ladies who have been opportuned to meet with the Governor and have smiled to the bank.

Please I beg you in the name of God Almighty, if you don't have any good thing to say or any assistance to render to the lady kindly shut your mouth. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheers!!!

3 Likes

Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by theoctopus: 2:54pm On Nov 29, 2013
Sweetlemon:

Chop knuckle.

People say she wasn't hawking. Then what else was she doing? Have you forgotten that street hawkers have a place where they keep the bulk of their goods in the corner of a street where they come to take more goods after selling the rest?

Gosh! I don't know whether to call the reaction of people sentiments or just plain over-sabi.

This is why I called you a hypocrite and a sycophant. Please get out of the governors behind!

You are making a foool of yourself!
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by theoctopus: 3:02pm On Nov 29, 2013
ochejoseph: Op you will, read this your thread in one months time and regret every word you penned down ,it has happened to me before .

last night I tried to justify Oshio babas actions but the more I replayed the video the more I see the cruelty in the whole stuff .
Its simply unacceptable.

For a long long time to come Oshiomole will be undisputed poster child for Gov cruelty and lack of compassion .
When I followed him as an undergraduate in 2002 to protest the Fuel price hike I never knew power could transform him so quickly,
But he can still turn this blunder in his favour if he is wise ,

The man simply forgot that in the 21st century even akara seller can bring down a gov

GOD BLESS NIGERIA

Tell the sycophant bro. This was the same kind of thing that sparked the arab spring and brought several nations to their feet
Re: Before You Call Oshiomole Names, Consider This by debetmx(m): 3:10pm On Nov 29, 2013
theoctopus:

Tell the sycophant bro. This was the same kind of thing that sparked the arab spring and brought several nations to their feet

God bless you. May you live long to since your children, grand children and great grand children.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tragic! Myles Munroe, Wife Killed In Airplane Crash / Gallant Soldiers Finally Enter Sambisa Forest To Flush Out The Boko Haram / Jonathan May Lose Woefully In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.