Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,963 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! (15045 Views)

Fashola To Seize Property If Tenants Commits Crime. / 3 Bedroom Flat Of 4 Blocks (completed With Tenants) At Sunshine Estate, Ikorodu. R & S. Approv. / Stubborn Tenants Refuse To Leave And Don't Pay Rent! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by Nuezha(m): 9:17pm On Nov 29, 2013
uboma: If they are too noisy as you just described, why not just give them quick notice because the truth is its less likely that they will change for the better. Soon they will libel you a Wizard/Witch for complaining about their loud prayers. Next time, try and avoid living with your tenants. There are things they will do which will irritate you.

WHAT IS QUICK NOTICE ?!
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 29, 2013
u guys are the best! Intelligence coupled with humor to calm the nerves.
I ll still read again, this thread frm pg0. I really need to learn more. I dont want to be found wanting.
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by Nobody: 9:43pm On Nov 29, 2013
He passed a vital message already.
I personally av seen errors av made while typing.
Pardon our forgetfulness to proof read.
Nuezha:

WHAT IS QUICK NOTICE ?!
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by bannana(m): 9:46pm On Nov 29, 2013
http://thelawyerschronicle.com/recovery-of-premises-an-assessment-of-landlordtenant-law-in-nigeria/

Hello honourable landlord,you can read through the link above to get an overview of how the law works in Nigeria on tenancy and quit notices.

You would have made counsel easier if you spelt out the state in question. Just make sure you get a sound lawyer this time around and hopefully you will be fine.Take note that you will be better off instituting an action at a rent tribunal or court.

Good luck!
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by noperson: 9:51pm On Nov 29, 2013
I believe the best you can do is get your lawyer to draw up a quit notice. I believe in Nigeria, it is 3months notice. If their lease exceeds that duration, you should be ready to refund their balance and their security deposit if they did not damage your property. It does not mean you would not collect the rent for the three months you gave them ooo! It is your property and you are entitled to your rent. In western world, it is one month notice and agreement to let them off the lease if their lease has not expired.
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by Lucky31(f): 10:12pm On Nov 29, 2013
Lmao, JAZZ ke shocked
stephnie44: Its not easy copin with annoyin tenants.we have similar issue.these ones their rent is 3 to 4 mths due nd they r not shakin their body 2 pay.tel dem 2 leave they start beggin.I don tire cos its affectin us in a way.I just feel like usin jazz 2 make dem leave.I tire
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by kalohkaloh: 10:40pm On Nov 29, 2013
Just hire four mekuturus (lepers) and let them remain in front of your tenants rooms early in the morning and evening demanding that they pack out. Trust they will pack out shortly! A friend used this strategy on my advice and it worked!

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by emiye(m): 10:55pm On Nov 29, 2013
Call a meeting and deliver a written notice now asking for over 200% increase in house rent as from may 2014.

Another is the alternative dispute resolution outlets in Lagos like the multidoor courthouse e.t.c
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by MANOSUB(m): 2:00am On Nov 30, 2013
HOW TO EJECT AN UNRULY TENANT
1)Get another lawyer to write up a notice of increment in house rent. Increase it beyond what you know they can afford.
2) wait a month before their rent expires to serve the incremental notice
3)dont argue or quarrel with them anymore. Just pretend like you are no longer angry with them
4)dont ever give a tenant quit notice unless u want to prolong issues.
I wish you luck

1 Like

Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by trollolo: 3:12am On Nov 30, 2013
Tell them to get out... Like if you agree....
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by bichikay(m): 3:28am On Nov 30, 2013
Lol,Nigerians sef...upon pesin know say im no fit mould blocks for building houses,im go dey cause im land lord say im dey occult,im use blood money build d house.If u feel d lanlord is a member of any occultic kingdom, why not pack out?

4 Likes

Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by nagoma(m): 6:47am On Nov 30, 2013
Give them a notice in writing that you are renovating before Xmas . Then bring building workers to remove the roofs.

1 Like

Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by slightlyMad(f): 9:08am On Nov 30, 2013
poster, first off, get a new lawyer and introduce him to all tenants.
send the most less troublesome one a quit notice, make sure you dont send it to both cos they will gang up against you.
dont wait for the rent to expire, just send it now and make it 6 month if they are annual payers, if less, then make it their tenure expiry date

when the less troublesome one comes begging, charge him a lawyer fee through your lawyer.
and start being aggressive. dont let them take that position.

goodluck
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by satowind(m): 11:29am On Nov 30, 2013
uboma: If they are too noisy as you just described, why not just give them quick notice because the truth is its less likely that they will change for the better. Soon they will libel you a Wizard/Witch for complaining about their loud prayers. Next time, try and avoid living with your tenants. There are things they will do which will irritate you.
It is quit not quick
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by uboma(m): 11:52am On Nov 30, 2013
satowind:
It is quit not quick
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by uboma(m): 11:52am On Nov 30, 2013
satowind:
It is quit not quick

Lol @ myself. Its an error. I sent that yesterday while I was on transit. Thanks for pointing it out though.
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by rafcrown(m): 1:01pm On Nov 30, 2013
Chukky86: Wait let me Ask IFA.

OPC.
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by Nobody: 1:38pm On Nov 30, 2013
NL is swit. Thanks to everyone
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by gwas(m): 2:57pm On Nov 30, 2013
Great Nairalanders, I'm impressed about how you all treated the OP's post!

Pls what can one do in this situation? A tenant wrote an undertaking letter to the landlord that he will park at a particular time, but after the stated time exceeds, he doesn't leave. His yearly rent has also expired 3 months back.
So what should the landlord do? How strong is the letter?
The location is Abuja.
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 30, 2013
Who was the witness? Was there a third party signatory? Was the 3rd party signatory a Legal Practitioner, Law Enforcement agent (lyk Police), a recognized OBA of d area , a mediation centre agents?

Undertaking letter shudnt be jst an ordinary domestic affair.
gwas: Great Nairalanders, I'm impressed about how you all treated the OP's post!

Pls what can one do in this situation? A tenant wrote an undertaking letter to the landlord that he will park at a particular time, but after the stated time exceeds, he doesn't leave. His yearly rent has also expired 3 months back.
So what should the landlord do? How strong is the letter?
The location is Abuja.
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by gwas(m): 4:18pm On Nov 30, 2013
Olife: Who was the witness? Was there a third party signatory? Was the 3rd party signatory a Legal Practitioner, Law Enforcement agent (lyk Police), a recognized OBA of d area , a mediation centre agents?

Undertaking letter shudnt be jst an ordinary domestic affair.
Hmmm thanks bro, but no witness o, only two of us.
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 30, 2013
Then you just av to follow due process this tym. But ur house go turn free accomodatn for a while sha..
gwas:
Hmmm thanks bro, but no witness o, only two of us.
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by gwas(m): 6:20pm On Nov 30, 2013
Olife: Then you just av to follow due process this tym. But ur house go turn free accomodatn for a while sha..
Ok, thank you

1 Like

Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by Nobody: 10:02pm On Nov 30, 2013
Where in Lagos....i ll contact lieutenant Musa of the nigerian army and his boys.

When your tenants sleep in ojo barracks for 1night....they ll lost touch with their religion
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by agohavivi(f): 1:33am On Dec 01, 2013
paix: The easiest way is to get a couple of LEPERS, give them one room in the house for free and watch your stubborn tenants vacate the house PRONTO.
what if the lepers refuse to quit after the tenants leave and even Turn out to be more troublesome Than the tenants? I dont believe you should swallow a lizard in order to catch the fly you swallowed previously. Mr landlord, do the needful by settling this issue amicably. Even if it means appealing to your tenants. Issue Them a 6months quit notice pending the expiration of their rent and let them know That you wish to use the apartment in question. Remember going to court is no guarantee that the case would end in your favour. Also ensure that you are fair in your dealings with your tenants.
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by Lucasbalo(m): 7:03am On Dec 01, 2013
tjskii: Just tell them that u want to use the house,that u av family memberz moving to town and thyr goin to use d pplace,tell dem dis before their rent expires,so that they can start preparing
That's exactly what my lawyer told one of mine. Still waiting till the end of the year to know if that is effective.
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by SirdeKay: 1:12pm On Dec 01, 2013
It depends on whether there was a Tenancy Agreement between the two of u. In the absence of any, since they are yearly tenants, pls give them six months notice. Their rents need not expire before u issue the notice. Just state therein that they should vacate your property at the expiration of their present tenancy.
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by hohafrank(m): 3:27pm On Dec 30, 2013
nagoma: Give them a notice in writing that you are renovating before Xmas . Then bring building workers to remove the roofs.
Novice.You will pay considerable amount of money to them for breaking , entry and carting away with their valuables.
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by hohafrank(m): 3:34pm On Dec 30, 2013
nutty_hnic: Where in Lagos....i ll contact lieutenant Musa of the nigerian army and his boys.

When your tenants sleep in ojo barracks for 1night....they ll lost touch with their religion
Olodo.What of if the tenant is higher than Musa in the army?. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by gabbytabby: 11:58am On Sep 07, 2014
Tenant matter tire me oh. I decided to let sleeping dogs be and let the lawyer manage but still a school headmistress tenant still bite me like rottweiler. Landlords beware of the violent tenants if they are not able to provide details of their current landlord usually it means they have something to hide.

Apparently thinks it's okay to run school for mentally disabled from home and without proper safeguards.
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by gabbytabby: 9:02am On Sep 16, 2014
gabbytabby: Tenant matter tire me oh. I decided to let sleeping dogs be and let the lawyer manage but still a school headmistress tenant still bite me like rottweiler. Landlords beware of the violent tenants if they are not able to provide details of their current landlord usually it means they have something to hide.

Apparently thinks it's okay to run school for mentally disabled from home and without proper safeguards.

Thank you lord.
The Lord is good and peace shall rein in this household.
Re: How To Get Rid Of My Annoying Tenants!! by Picomon(m): 8:34am On Oct 21, 2016
nuttyhnic:
Where in Lagos....i ll contact lieutenant Musa of the nigerian army and his boys.

Do you have his contact?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fairly Used Furniture Someone? / 1 & 2 Bedroom Apartments In Dubai For Sell ( Dream Home) / Building:semi-detached Duplex In Osapa (new Dimension To Nigerian Architecture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.