Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,925 members, 7,817,711 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? (13502 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by coolchris(m): 8:23pm On Nov 29, 2013
Yeah, I know. I sound crazy right? how the heck will a four months old ASUU strike turn out to be a blessing? no person in his/her right senses will ask such a question? These questions and more of its kind are flowing through your head right now.

But you see, the ASUU strike is a blessing in disguise, a blessing to you were too blind to notice, a blessing your heart was too bittered to accommodate, a blessing which only those who see with their hearts could notice. its so funny how four months had gone by like it was just yesterday.

Time was the precious of all resources you had in your arsenal, what exactly did you do through out this period? were you busy blaming ASUU for going on strike? were you busy blaming the Government for her inefficiencies to handle the problem on time? or you probably blamed your parents for not taking you to a private school or better still send you outside of the country to study.

Even while in school, you complained of less practicals you carried out in school, this past four months is a whole lot of time to conduct these practicals all by yourself, thanks to text books, lecture notes, handouts and even the internet to guide you.

you see, now you remember when you complained of no working experiences outside your lecture hall, the past four months would have been the perfect time to acquire one. what stopped you from serving as an office assistant or an errand boy in any organization you could learn some common practices regarding your curse of study with or without salary?

it was time to go out there to see what is real, a time for you to have gained experiences of the outside world aside from the four walls of your campus.

I can confidently tell you i made maximum use of my time during the striking period, i made money, i had more time to visit the library, i had more time to understand myself.

I had the opportunity to actually reflect on my life as a Nigerian youth, is my life going in the direction i want it? Is there any other thing i would have done differently to make a difference? in the next five years to come, how do i see myself? I'm i walking in the direction of my dreams?

All you did was to watch movies throughout, downloaded latest music, watch TV all day, sleep, wake up and eat. of course, the football freaks spent a bunch of their valuable time discussing football.

Hope you were able to learn one or two lessons from this short write up, I beg you dear Nigerian students to be more productive and constructive with your time, see good things/opportunities from every thing happening around you. make maximum use of every time you've got so you can compete globally.

I believe in the Nigerian youth, i believe in the strength and creativity embedded in the blood of every Nigerian. you can make something happen, go make something happen!

how did you use your time during the striking period? what other productive things did you engage in? Did you use this period to your advantage?

let us know in the comment box below. you can as well share this article if you found helpful.

Cheers
Myedu Nigeria.

SOURCE: http://www.myedu.com.ng/ASUU-strike/

14 Likes

Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Nov 30, 2013
God in his infinite Mercies made me miss church today and blessed me with this honourable position (First To Comment). This indeed, is a great effect of ASUU's curse on me. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by hooged: 4:08pm On Nov 30, 2013
Second to comment ...I'm coming up

1 Like

Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by gabrielride: 4:09pm On Nov 30, 2013
IT'S A CURSE TO THE GOV... It can never be a blessing....
Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Nov 30, 2013
hooged: Second to comment ...I'm coming up

No mind Opera Mini. Try google Chrome with MTN 3.75G
Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 30, 2013
If you had plans, if you were in ur final year and had made plans, this nonsense won't seem a blessing to you.

Only in Nigeria will strike be referred to as a blessing.

What you are referring to as a blessing here, is making right use of one's time.

7 Likes

Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by hooged: 4:12pm On Nov 30, 2013
Delivery Man:

No mind Opera Mini. Try google Chrome with MTN 3.75G
need to switch asap buh mind you my opera blaze with glo H+
Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by Tholudee(f): 4:13pm On Nov 30, 2013
Na wen we don dey see the end of the strike you suppose post this undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by LMAyedun(m): 4:13pm On Nov 30, 2013
Na Blessing oh!!
Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by Iaz93: 4:14pm On Nov 30, 2013
Is delay in life a blessing?

[size=33]THE STRIKE IS A MIGHTY CURSE[/size]

A curse the FG has decided to break. gringrin

2 Likes

Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by gistmelove(m): 4:14pm On Nov 30, 2013
For me ooo... Me gan gan... Ayyub... ASUU strike is a real blessing for me ooo... Becos... ASUU strike turn me to a blogger'' and also employed as online marketing director... @ batlan concept... With a cool salary...... Aliamudulilahi .... One man food is another man poison.... Thnks to federal govt and ASUU... God bless 9ja... I love u all....

1 Like

Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Nov 30, 2013
Delivery Man: God in his infinite Mercies made me miss church today and blessed me with this honourable position (First To Comment). This indeed, is a great effect of ASUU's curse on me. grin grin grin
lol. very funny
Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by picoba(m): 4:15pm On Nov 30, 2013

It is a rod of correction on the government. But unfortunately, It's has turned to be a curse on Government.

Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Nov 30, 2013
hooged: need to switch asap buh mind you my opera blaze with glo H+

E go be seay diesel no plenty for d gen wey dey power the mast near u angry cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by hemartins(m): 4:15pm On Nov 30, 2013
It is a blessing in disguise. I would have graduated in August. God knows the best.
Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by sizzlers(m): 4:18pm On Nov 30, 2013
Maximum use of time is inversly proportional to GEJ

1 Like

Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by dwittyc0der(f): 4:21pm On Nov 30, 2013

Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by KillMoves: 4:22pm On Nov 30, 2013
Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by dejibimbo(m): 4:22pm On Nov 30, 2013
@op....Dude...what are you saying...i was reading this ur write-up, and i was seeing an hypocrite behind the whatever device he used in typing all of that...(or was i high on sumfin)...me am not hating o...i actuali do get the best out of whatever time i have on my 'plate' ..i.e i made alot of gains during this strike period...but there is sumtin behind dis ur 'wrap up' (write up) dat doesnt sound right...thank god i cant place my finger on that 'thing' yet....(it sounds the way my hollier-than-thou friend use to sound)...i pray i dont regret this post after this cheap whiskey clears frm my eye...
Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by timwezzb(m): 4:23pm On Nov 30, 2013
ASUU Na Curse Oooooooo lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by mustaphagreens(m): 4:23pm On Nov 30, 2013
i heard education is the key, but bro u knw whats up?, ASUU don spoil the padluck sad
Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Nov 30, 2013
it's a blessing for me cheesy
Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Nov 30, 2013
at least within that four month . . .i bought a tv set,standing fan,startimes decoder,dvd player,rug,a 6 by 4 ft bed e.t.c . .my hp laptop is coming from konga next week. . .life wil be easier for me in school. . .so itz an advanced blessing. . . .make i rest small jare

1 Like

Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by dejibimbo(m): 4:26pm On Nov 30, 2013
Tholudee: Na wen we don dey see the end of the strike you suppose pist this undecided undecided
...now sum1 is getting close to placing their hands on the thing this topic is about....maybe sum1 will get it...(please help, my judgement is a bit cloudd by alchohol..)
Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Nov 30, 2013
THIS STRIKE MUST BE DIFFERENT!
Each time ASUU goes on strike, many people go
ahead to blackmail the Union that they are on
strike for improved pay packets. And I ask, what is
wrong with that? I mean what is wrong in ASUU
fighting for better conditions of service in the
University system? If they refuse to fight for
themselves, who will fight for them? Again, each
time ASUU ends strike action, beneficiaries are not
only ASUU but everyone in the system including
all tertiary institutions. Blackmailers or
misinformed concerned commentators should
know that ASUU members would not get more
than their salaries in the case of improved
conditions for education fought for by ASUU. Most
of the time, after ASUU’s struggles, everyone in
the system, including, those opposed to the strike
benefit faster and even more. With due respect,
UNILORIN for example for many years are usually
not part of ASUU strike actions, but they get paid
fallouts from ASUU struggles even before the
Universities that fought for such. This strike is
unfortunate and there would have been no need
for it if our government had respected those they
put in office for specific assignment. The
Agreement reached with the Union in 2009 was
due to review in 2012 and ASUU made it clear to
government. Why did our government refuse to
meet for the review? Even if there is no money as
we are made to believe, the review meeting could
have been so informed and I am very sure a
resolution would be arrived at for example, that
this and that would be done when conditions
improve. This would have been more honorable
than to just ignore the calls for the review
meeting. In one of my earlier postings, I did say
that ASUU’s concerns are about the future of
education in Nigeria. Also, that at least 50% of
those fighting for improved funding of education
under the banner of ASUU now will be out of the
system in another five years, some even in two
years! Are they selfish or self-centered as some
people claim? The little improvements in the
universities today are fallouts from ASUU’s
struggles. If there is improved pay, then our best
brains would not have any reason to go to the
banks to be mere tellers done by brilliant
secondary school graduates in the past! The
university administrators would have enough
money to ensure improved conditions in the
lecture halls, residential hostels for students,
relatively stable electricity and water supply etc.
etc. Although one may wish to say that the
universities are no islands, to be excused from the
shortage of electricity generated and supplied by
‘NEPA’ or PHCN, the fact is that the university
cannot be run on epileptic situations of power
and water supplies. Researches cannot be
conducted in the absence of these two essential
facilities. What then is the mission of a university
without research? How do you generate knowledge
without research? I think Government or ASUU
should publicize the findings of the Committee on
NEEDS Assessment of Nigerian Public Universities
[put up by Government itself] for the generality of
Nigerians to see and then ponder whether ASUU
was making unreasonable demands. One of the
recommendations in that NEEDS Assessment, for
example, is to increase the present academic staff
strength from 28, 000 to 50, 000. Yet our
government is being advised to recruit academic
staff from internally and externally! Is it so that
we can have mediocre universities or mediocre
academics? THIS STRIKE MUST BE DIFFERENT
FROM THE PREVIOUS ONES. ASUU should take this
struggle to a logical conclusion that would
forestall incessant strikes by any Union in the
University. Government should be humble enough
to understand this rather than threatening to sack
the ‘striking’ lecturers that are grossly inadequate!
Who caused the strike?
....Write up by A professor of Agriculture, University of ibadan

4 Likes

Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by gistmelove(m): 4:29pm On Nov 30, 2013
ASUU strike be like... If you are feeling this strike spiritually let me hear you say ''NEXT YEAR''
Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by Irises(m): 4:29pm On Nov 30, 2013
ASUU. it is a BLESSCURSE.
ASUU wanted to change Nigeria's educational system but later became greedy and selfish
on the other hand, FG dont care and have decided to open the schools.
how do we know who takes much blessing or curse.
Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by Irises(m): 4:30pm On Nov 30, 2013
gistmelove: ASUU strike be like... If you are feeling this strike spiritually let me hear you say ''NEXT YEAR''
you learnt that from wizkid grin grin
Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by Danhumprey: 4:32pm On Nov 30, 2013
yusufogrin: at least within that four month . . .i bought a tv set,standing fan,startimes decoder,dvd player,rug,a 6 by 4 ft bed e.t.c . .my hp laptop is coming from konga next week. . .life wil be easier for me in school. . .so itz an advanced blessing. . . .make i rest small jare
Lol......bro,you try ooo. grin
Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 30, 2013
its a curse to many people here.
CHISOM and EMEKA don give people belle. NGOZI and ADAOBI are now pregnant. ADAORA, NNEKA were caught stealing pants in market; they are now chilling in police cell. NNENA is now a prostitute. UZOMA, BUCHI and CHIOMA are now touts, local robbers. CHIGOZIE and OKECHUCHU raped their grandmother.
Na ASUU cos am. Cos they were all in UNi bfre the strike.
May God deliver us from dem dem.
And mods, na true true ah talk, no con delete and ban me.
Thanks
Re: ASUU STRIKE! A Curse Or A Blessing? by bigt2(m): 4:35pm On Nov 30, 2013
A blessing curse

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Teachers can't speak English language / How To Prepare For UTME Within Three Weeks / Medical School: The Journey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.